Veteran Findlay Boys Basketball Coach To Retire

OK, I thought maybe you had information from someone involved in the process. I think FHS would do well to land either of them. Both have good varsity high school coaching jobs now.
Wouldn’t you consider the Findlay job an upgrade for both of them though?

Wouldn’t you consider the Findlay job an upgrade for both of them though?
I don't think any of us can know the answer to that. On the surface, three years ago or so, yes, it appeared to be an attractive position. Today, not so sure. Questions relating to where you want to live, where your family prefers to be, besides coaching what else you would be doing at the school or in the community, what your career goals may be, etc. all a consideration. This may be more desirable for one vs. the other. And there may be other applicants we haven't heard about.

One thing that is not attractive to a young coach is the thought, "well if the administration was disgruntled with a coach with 500+ wins, that never had a losing season, that had never shown any signs of wrong doing, then how are they going to like me? especially if the talent is down and we're going to struggle the first year or two."

One thing that is not attractive to a young coach is the thought, "well if the administration was disgruntled with a coach with 500+ wins, that never had a losing season, that had never shown any signs of wrong doing, then how are they going to like me? especially if the talent is down and we're going to struggle the first year or two."
That's an interesting point. It may be more desirable for a younger coach without a current varsity head coaching job, which both Gardner and Roth have. Plus there are like 20 other NW Ohio varsity coaching jobs out there right now, some of which they might have an interest in. Or, the decision might be their current jobs (Marietta and Bowling Green) suit them better, especially in Gardner's case.

This is ridiculous if the AD has a fault it is being too loyal to coaches. The current cross-country coach has been mediocre at best the last 25 of his 30-year coaching career. The wrestling team has big numbers but can never seem to become a good let along great team. The swim teams have taken a nosedive since the current coach has taken over. Ritzler as football coach was keep around longer than most coaches would have been while winning no play-off games. The current football coach has done very little with as much talent as he has had on the roster.

OHSAA WEBSITE LISTING TODAY...

Head Coach Boys Basketball
Findlay High School
Findlay High School
is seeking a highly qualified and experienced Head Boys Basketball Coach. Previous head coaching experience at the high school or college level is preferred. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to develop a strong, cohesive program within the boundaries of the Findlay City School District mission of “Unlocking the dreams of all students through academic excellence, diverse opportunities, and true belonging.” The head coach will be expected to maintain a winning culture focused on academics, character, and athletic excellence. Qualified candidates shall also possess strong communication skills, relational skills, organizational skills, and knowledge to create and sustain an overall successful program through vertical alignment. A full-time teaching or other position may accompany the coaching position depending on the needs of the district and the licensure/certification of the candidate. All interested candidates should apply through the Findlay City Schools website fcs.org or https://www.fcs.org/employment/instructional-support-positions

My brother in law works down at Marathon in Findlay. Some interesting names he’s heard. Liskai, Roth, and Whiteman. Roth and Whiteman both head coaches already. Liskai stepped away a few years ago but may be looking to get back in

Austin Gardner, Marietta, former FHS JV coach and a Rucki clone. Mason Roth, Bowling Green and others, I hope. Calipari went to Arkansas and Hurley likes UConn so I guess they're off the market.
Roth may still be interested. Whiteman from Liberty Benton considering, but not sure that would necessarily be a logical move. But lots factors to consider for both school and coach, and we don't always know. Gardner appears to prefer to stay at Marietta

Roth may still be interested. Whiteman from Liberty Benton considering, but not sure that would necessarily be a logical move. But lots factors to consider for both school and coach, and we don't always know. Gardner appears to prefer to stay at Marietta
Have you heard anything about Liskai?