2024 HS Season

No, Moeller just had the best coach in the state who knew how to make his players and team improve as the season progressed. Let's see how it goes without him.
Moe’s 3 year title run was pretty fun to watch. Unfortunately for Moe, I believe without him this year, it ends. And that’s factoring in a potential St X meltdown. 😉
Just not happening this year.

Jerome Tri

Elder def. Jerome 3-1
Elder def. MTV 3-2 : 18-25, 25-14, 19-25, 25-20, 15-13
Jerome vs MTV 3-0 : 25-14, 25-16, 25-20

MTV opposite went down with an injury in the 5th.
My first time seeing Elder. Their Libero is good.

Last edited:
Jerome Tri

Elder def. Jerome 3-1
Elder def. MTV 3-2 : 18-25, 25-14, 19-25, 25-20, 15-13
Jerome vs MTV 3-0 : 25-14, 25-16, 25-20

MTV opposite went down with an injury in the 5th.
My first time seeing Elder. Their Libero is good.
Tierney play libero today?

Elder was probably gonna be a bit down or comparable to last year no matter what this year, but they’ve also been dealing with a handful of injuries to guys who would typically never leave the court. Tierney's been hurting to where he can’t swing, Murray was hurt recently and missed some time and I’ve heard that Kelly is out for the year. That’s why they’ve shifted to a 6-2 with Bass and brought Kelly’s younger brother up from JV. An already young team is being forced to play younger. Super unfortunate for the seniors and, if Kelly is really out for the year, you have to really feel for him given he’s a senior. Great experience for the underclassmen to get the program back to a good place next year

I was jokingly calling that Tri the “Down Year Tri” with some friends because all three of those programs are way off even their average years due to various problems beyond their control. Jerome’s best attacker is a sophomore that still has a ways to grow, Elder is playing half a JV squad it felt, and MTV is barely plugging all the holes in their lineup from injuries plus their POTY contender hitter is totally out.

I was jokingly calling that Tri the “Down Year Tri” with some friends because all three of those programs are way off even their average years due to various problems beyond their control. Jerome’s best attacker is a sophomore that still has a ways to grow, Elder is playing half a JV squad it felt, and MTV is barely plugging all the holes in their lineup from injuries plus their POTY contender hitter is totally out.
And even then…all 3 of these schools would still wax the majority of teams in the state

And even then…all 3 of these schools would still wax the majority of teams in the state
Haha great point. Speaks to the level of the programs, and the runs they’ve been on in recent years (and Elder pretty much since the beginning of the 2000s). Quality, consistent coaching and player development goes a long way.

if X is fully healthy for the State Tournament, I don't see anyone stopping them. This is their year. They should win state. They may drop a set along the way, but I don't see them going to 5 with anyone.

if X is fully healthy for the State Tournament, I don't see anyone stopping them. This is their year. They should win state. They may drop a set along the way, but I don't see them going to 5 with anyone.
Are they the favorites? Sure, but lets not pretend that the favorite always wins state, a la Elder 2022. Plus, we are talking about post season St X... How many years have been 'their year' only to flop? I can think of 3 different times on the top of my head.. 2014, 2021, 2023. If they are running on all cylinders, I would say they take state this year, but lets not give them the trophy just yet.

Are they the favorites? Sure, but let’s not pretend that the favorite always wins state, a la Elder 2022. Plus, we are talking about post season St X... How many years have been 'their year' only to flop? I can think of 3 different times on the top of my head.. 2014, 2021, 2023. If they are running on all cylinders, I would say they take state this year, but let’s not give them the trophy just yet.
Good take here! St X is a meltdown by a certain player or two (or even their coach) away from a loss. Although, seems less likely this year because the opposition is less.

Brackets are up, and I've gone ahead and set up another bracket challenge!

Same system as last year using Challonge. Points increase exponentially per round (1, 2, 4, 8, etc).

Division I will stop accepting predictions with the round of 64 (May 8th, 6pm)
Division II will stop accepting predictions with the round of 32 (May 9th, 6pm)
I'll try to check back with the OHSAA website in case those start dates change.

Division I Bracket Challenge
Division II Bracket Challenge
OHSAA Tournament Page

Please let me know if there are any placement/seeding/spelling errors asap, as I had to hand-copy this and translate it from OHSAA's weird bracket setup.

And on a personal note, I would also like to once more complain about D1 East's seeding 😂.

1. Liberty
2. Pick N
3. New Albany
4. Berlin
5. MTV

Kinda feels like we're just spitting out MaxPreps rankings despite Berlin and MTV having schedules orders of magnitude stronger. New Albany did play Pick N close, maybe they'll surprise me? 2-5 all jumped into the same half of the region bracket, so that's going to be crazy to watch unfold. 6-12 all fled to the other half with Liberty. They're going to sleepwalk into the regional final. X might not be happy to see that haha.

Pick N/MTV and Berlin/New Albany in the second round 😵‍💫.

Good take here! St X is a meltdown by a certain player or two (or even their coach) away from a loss. Although, seems less likely this year because the opposition is less.
Absolutely. Moeller this year has been much less competitive so far, but if Moeller doesn’t stop X, I’m putting my money on Liberty to show the cracks in the X program

And on a personal note, I would also like to once more complain about D1 East's seeding 😂.

1. Liberty
2. Pick N
3. New Albany
4. Berlin
5. MTV

Kinda feels like we're just spitting out MaxPreps rankings despite Berlin and MTV having schedules orders of magnitude stronger. New Albany did play Pick N close, maybe they'll surprise me? 2-5 all jumped into the same half of the region bracket, so that's going to be crazy to watch unfold. 6-12 all fled to the other half with Liberty. They're going to sleepwalk into the regional final. X might not be happy to see that haha.

There are a lot of coaches who don’t know these small details about scheduling and what not. Especially from newer programs. They see a team’s record and base it off of that without doing their homework

Liberty absolutely can, and if you don't think so you're either uninformed, dense, or just a huge homer.
X was missing their best OH when they played them, had played Moeller Friday night, then played Centerville and Moe before playing Liberty that Saturday at the Centerville Elite Tourney. I'm not dense, not uninformed, have seen both teams play, and have zero rooting interest in X at all. they are simply BETTER, and as i said, IF FULLY HEALTHY.

X was missing their best OH when they played them, had played Moeller Friday night, then played Centerville and Moe before playing Liberty that Saturday at the Centerville Elite Tourney. I'm not dense, not uninformed, have seen both teams play, and have zero rooting interest in X at all. they are simply BETTER, and as i said, IF FULLY HEALTHY.
Sure, but Liberty deserves the credit of having a real chance of stopping them, which, to your point, is something nobody else in the state has.

Liberty can 100% stop X. Do I think they will? Not really, but if X even has a little bit of an off night or chokes like they have before, they absolutely can. A difference I’ve noticed in X this year, though, is that they seem to have a team full of guys who are locked in 99.99% of the time and don’t get too high or too low in the moment

Liberty can 100% stop X. Do I think they will? Not really, but if X even has a little bit of an off night or chokes like they have before, they absolutely can. A difference I’ve noticed in X this year, though, is that they seem to have a team full of guys who are locked in 99.99% of the time and don’t get too high or too low in the moment
Hold my beer…Bill Ferris

1. Liberty
2. Pick N
3. New Albany
4. Berlin
5. MTV

Any thoughts on this after Pickerington North beat Darby last night?

Any thoughts on this after Pickerington North beat Darby last night?
I wouldn't change anything. Pick N was the clear #2 after defeating Berlin and MTV at their quad. They've got a very strong offense. Liberty/Pick N regional final is very likely. MTV, Berlin, or New Albany could upset them, but not likely. MTV has injuries and holes in their defense, Berlin didn't seem to have the block to stop them, and New Albany had one 28-30 set while the other 5 sets they played this season the most they got was 20.