2024 St. Edward Football

The Rock Creek campus of Christian Academy (Louisville, Kentucky) closed in 2021. I could find no indication online that St. Edward’s 2024 opponent, Rock Creek Christian Academy of Upper Marlboro, MD (no affiliation with Christian Academy of Louisville), has closed or will be closing its high school.

Since I've seen this posted elsewhere:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_123212_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_123212_X.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 106
Ok way too early, but got to ask!
How’s next years team going to perform?
Losing 9 D-1 kids. Kinda seems unreplaceable.
But somehow the St Ed’s Culture and next man up mentality keeps this team churning!
Some real good starting pieces returning.
My early prediction is the strength of team will be at linebacker. I understand losing Slapper is gigantic . Nate Gregory, German /Waugh and Peterson are incredible start. Plus some other juniors/ seniors make that strength of team.im probably missing a kid or two, sorry if I am. Those are just some kids that played last year. Peterson stuck out to me at jv games. JD at the nose
With Bradley at nickel. The interior defense should be tough. If teams can’t run on Ed’s it puts us in great position. Running back will also be a strength as always. Besides Brandon White. 2/3 real tough kids itching to run. Brandon can’t or shouldn’t carry 30 times a game! Especially when capable dudes can help carry load.
Also the fact Ed’s keeps the coaching staff in tact
Is a huge bonus.
Any thoughts
Love opinions and insight

There it is! Was waiting for that, JLP. Hope you enjoyed my post. Takes a lot of dedication to follow someone around, patiently waiting for a post. My guess, first thing in the morning and as soon as you get home from work. Priceless!

Good points all around WBH282.

Think a big indicator of how next year will go is how Csanyi will play, or maybe even more importantly, how the coaching staff plays him. Very different style of QB compared to what we usually see. Kid went into Massillon last year on short notice and played his heart out and only got better as the year went on.

Hope the staff opens up the book and lets him sling it next year. While successful in years past, I don't know how well the run over and over and pound teams into submission playbook is going to work this year. An effective downfield passing game opens up the offense and will let Brandon White really run free at times.

Teams in R1 are getting better and our schedule is once again pretty brutal. I have no doubts they have the ability to make another run at the title though.

Obviously no one is gonna be looking past us but I think the upcoming group can easily bring home 4x in a row. Plenty of experience and guys who have been waiting in the wings with playing experience.

This group coming up reminds me of the 2015 class everyone was on board with the 2014 class with all the stars but to me the 15 class played better as a team.

It starts up front in the trenches and we have the best Oline coach in Ohio in Scanlon . Defensively Pappas know how to utilize our talent to the best of its ability.

I hope teams think we’re gonna be down next year. Can’t wait for Massillon at home !!!!

I like the 2015 analogy, a lot of guys on that team stepped up. I'm sure the idea of being the state champs every year you were in school acts as quite the motivator as well.

Nobody I suppose wants to be the class to break the streak!

Still think the defense will be the strength
Starting with the linebackers.

The offense will need to get a little outside the box thinking? Need at least 2/3 electric type players!
Be runningbacks or recievers!
I think the kicker will be one of the best in area!
If we can improve special teams by just 10% that could be another huge opportunity!
Field position

The Eagles will be competitive in 2024 with three OL (underclassman RT added to two starters returning), seasoned QB, RB, and WR. O will be starting with 6 capable athletes.

D will be very tough at the LB and DB positions. Reload at the Dline position, and this will be a good bunch as well.

Go Eagles!

I agree with all the sentiments being mentioned about the 2024 team. The expectations of a 4-peat, while lofty, are not outrageous. Those of us who follow the lower levels know the talent pipeline is far from dry. The path will be more difficult this year in, what I expect to be, a more competitive R1. Mentor and Ignatius are well positioned to rebound, and both Heights and McKinley have the talent on paper. If the "play-up" referendum goes into effect this season, then throw Glenville (presumably) into the mix as well. The regular season schedule is as brutal as ever. Multiple losses are not out of the question.

I hope to see a more balanced offense with Csanyi at QB. The kid has some arm talent and has at least one proven receiver in Hackleman to throw to. White can also be a big weapon in the pass game and should be utilized as such, rather than carrying the ball 25+ times between the tackles. The sophomore-to-be Hughes is another kid that could emerge as a major weapon as the season progresses. Hopefully he's not toiling away on the JV team next year.

Defensively, I agree that the back 7 should be the strength of that unit. Gregory is the anchor in the middle. German and Waugh got to cut their teeth last year and played well. What combination Pappas uses will be the question. Waugh seems well suited for the edge role we've seen deployed in years past guys like Wyatt Gedeon. Eaton can play wherever needed in the secondary given the down and distance, whether that's as an outside corner, deep safety or box safety/nickel. Moore, Buchanan, Thomas and others should round out the secondary.

I agree with all the sentiments being mentioned about the 2024 team. The expectations of a 4-peat, while lofty, are not outrageous. Those of us who follow the lower levels know the talent pipeline is far from dry. The path will be more difficult this year in, what I expect to be, a more competitive R1. Mentor and Ignatius are well positioned to rebound, and both Heights and McKinley have the talent on paper. If the "play-up" referendum goes into effect this season, then throw Glenville (presumably) into the mix as well. The regular season schedule is as brutal as ever. Multiple losses are not out of the question.

I hope to see a more balanced offense with Csanyi at QB. The kid has some arm talent and has at least one proven receiver in Hackleman to throw to. White can also be a big weapon in the pass game and should be utilized as such, rather than carrying the ball 25+ times between the tackles. The sophomore-to-be Hughes is another kid that could emerge as a major weapon as the season progresses. Hopefully he's not toiling away on the JV team next year.

Defensively, I agree that the back 7 should be the strength of that unit. Gregory is the anchor in the middle. German and Waugh got to cut their teeth last year and played well. What combination Pappas uses will be the question. Waugh seems well suited for the edge role we've seen deployed in years past guys like Wyatt Gedeon. Eaton can play wherever needed in the secondary given the down and distance, whether that's as an outside corner, deep safety or box safety/nickel. Moore, Buchanan, Thomas and others should round out the secondary.
With all due respect, 2024 is looking like the year of the Crusaders as they finally get over the hump. D-1 college recruits at all the skill positions. If their talented running backs can meet expectations, they will be in the mix. GBM 💪 🏈

With all due respect, 2024 is looking like the year of the Crusaders as they finally get over the hump. D-1 college recruits at all the skill positions. If their talented running backs can meet expectations, they will be in the mix. GBM 💪 🏈
Always loved playing big moe and watching the games . Always felt like Ed’s and Moeller were so similar and played the same way. Very physical , tough , smash mouth football . St X was always like Ignatius out scheme you / not physical. Elder was always hit and miss of both.

Even fresh and jv games there was a great mutual respect . I remember after a jv game moe parents giving us a great cook out and sending us on our way with a bag of food , before the varsity game.

Not quite as sure about the Cincinnati part of the equation but yes, I'd say in general Ed's throughout its history was more about a running game with a physical o-line. Ignatius found their success with a spread offense and throwing it around with a very well developed quarterback for high school. This isn't to say they did not have good line play or running backs, just that the philosophy was more passing oriented with smaller backs that could catch rather than traditional powerbacks (although Kyle always had some big guys for short yardage to keep the defense honest.) Ed's is much more balanced now overall and better at developing quarterbacks and receivers that do more than complement the rushing attack.

I thought this would be the state championship game the past two years, I'd love to see it happen this year!

Interesting addition. Public school powerhouse out of Danville, KY (Lexington area) and winners of four consecutive Kentucky 4A championships. About 900 students overall in the school, which would put them in DIII territory here in Ohio in terms of male enrollment. Calpreps computer had them #1 overall in KY last year after an undefeated championship season. Doesn't look like they get out of Kentucky much, so kudos to them for coming up to Lakewood to take on the Eagles.

I know football has changed after 25 years, but I remember playing Cardinal Mooney for the first time in 1999 and they came up to Lakewood and absolutely took it to us, something like 42-28 and it was not that close. Don't hate going out of state like this, especially early, for an opponent. We've had some nice games against Cherry Creek, Center Grove, Good Counsel, Pitt Central Catholic in the past two years. It seems we balance out a very hard out of state opponent (Cherry Creek/Good Counsel/St. Joe's) with more regionally known teams (Pitt Central Catholic, Boyle County, Center Grove). Of course, our in-state schedule is also hard every year. Kudos to the Athletic department for always putting together entertaining schedules.

Michael Dowell ('18) signed an UDFA contract with the Bengals over the weekend. Originally joining his older brothers at MSU and starting a handful of games for the Spartans, Dowell transferred to Miami (OH) and finished his career there starting in all 12 games this past season at safety for the MAC champion Redhawks. His older brother Andrew has hung on in the NFL for 5 years now as an UDFA, but I'm not sure if the Saints intend to re-sign him. Hopefully Michael can make the most of this opportunity as well.

Last edited:
Mason Wilhelm ('26) has been picking up steam on the recruiting trail, adding three D1 offers this past week (UNC Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, and Kent St.). He repped primarily at RT behind Roebuck this past year and will fill one of the two open tackle spots next season.