Total Solar Eclipse 2024

State and local government and planning committees only had data from 2017 to go by. That data showed virtually every town in the path of totality was packed with visitors. The path in 2017 was as long if not longer than 2024 and the 2024 path was closer to more populations centers than 2017 making it easier for more people to get to totality. We now have another set of data points for the next eclipse. Countdown to 2099 starts. :)
What is the old saying....

There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics!

Personally, it did not pass the sniff test. Logan County here was expecting exp expecting 50k, Celina was expecting tens thousands and every place I read about was as well.

Let's say what u state was true, what kept folks away?

I will tell you.
Govt and media and their yr long stating how bad it was going to be. Have enough food and gas for days. Expect to be home bound for 24 hours plus.

Hell...they had me concerned with even heading to the gym that.morning or to the other side of the lake to partake in the cool stuff. When I saw freedom of.movement was there at.noon we ventured out.

Spoke to some from Columbus who were ecstatic of the event and were glad they didn't listen to all their friends that traffic eill.be too.bad.

How about this....in 2099 come on down my way and we'll watch it on the lake.

Last edited:
One of the most incredible things I have experience. 100% totality compared to 99.9% is like night and day.

Meditated while it was happening and once totality occurred it was eerie. I stood up and looked around. It got dark where I was at and the 360 degree sunset was spectacular. As soon as it went black both Venus and Jupiter I believe came visible. The temp drop was very noticeable and the bird chirping ceased. I found myself at peace during those few minutes and after the eclipse I had a strange burst of energy. I actually felt good for the first time in many many years...... unfortunately that is all gone now and back in pain....... but hey, I'll take what I can get.

What is the old saying....

There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics!

Personally, it did not pass the sniff test. Logan County here was expecting exp expecting 50k, Celina was expecting tens thousands and every place I read about was as well.

Let's say what u state was true, what kept folks away?

I will tell you.
Govt and media and their yr long stating how bad it was going to be. Have enough food and gas for days. Expect to be home bound for 24 hours plus.

Hell...they had me concerned with even heading to the gym that.morning or to the other side of the lake to partake in the cool stuff. When I saw freedom of.movement was there at.noon we ventured out.

Spoke to some from Columbus who were ecstatic of the event and were glad they didn't listen to all their friends that traffic eill.be too.bad.

How about this....in 2099 come on down my way and we'll watch it on the lake.
The government and the media. Of course.

State and local government and planning committees only had data from 2017 to go by. That data showed virtually every town in the path of totality was packed with visitors. The path in 2017 was as long if not longer than 2024 and the 2024 path was closer to more populations centers than 2017 making it easier for more people to get to totality. We now have another set of data points for the next eclipse. Countdown to 2099 starts. :)
I think the government leaders who are still congratulating themselves for their Covid response are the same ones who predicted the eclipsecalypse.

More evidence that the government always knows what is best.

Is it ultra-maga, misogynist, racist of me to point out the stupidity of this person who votes on laws we must all live by?
One of the most incredible things I have experience. 100% totality compared to 99.9% is like night and day.

Meditated while it was happening and once totality occurred it was eerie. I stood up and looked around. It got dark where I was at and the 360 degree sunset was spectacular. As soon as it went black both Venus and Jupiter I believe came visible. The temp drop was very noticeable and the bird chirping ceased. I found myself at peace during those few minutes and after the eclipse I had a strange burst of energy. I actually felt good for the first time in many many years...... unfortunately that is all gone now and back in pain....... but hey, I'll take what I can get.
We had a random neighbor's dog with us during the eclipse. He just sat there. Didn't really act strange or anything.

We had a random neighbor's dog with us during the eclipse. He just sat there. Didn't really act strange or anything.
I noticed a few birds fly down and perch, but that could have been coincidental. Some birds went quiet, others will chirp all night and kept it up.

The experience was really cool and I am glad we were here for it.

I have relatives in Montana I could stay with in 2044, but odds are my lights will be out before then.

Last edited:
I noticed a few birds fly down and perch, but that could have been coincidental. Some birds went quite, others will chirp all night and kept it up.

The experience was really cool and I am glad we were here for it.

I have relatives in Montana I could stay with in 2044, but odds are my lights will be out before then.
Welp if you’re still kickin that will be a good spot. Since the path for 44 is goin thru Orlando, we are going make a Disney trip out of it with my presumable grand kids.

More evidence that the government always knows what is best.

Is it ultra-maga, misogynist, racist of me to point out the stupidity of this person who votes on laws we must all live by?
They need to vote her out and put her on The View.

Welp if you’re still kickin that will be a good spot. Since the path for 44 is goin thru Orlando, we are going make a Disney trip out of it with my presumable grand kids.
Change your reservation. That's in '45.

There's one coming in 2027 to Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. In Egypt, totality will last over 6 minutes.

Here's the next 20 years or so world-wide.

There's one coming in 2027 to Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. In Egypt, totality will last over 6 minutes.

Here's the next 20 years or so world-wide.

That is a doosey. Morroco, Gibraltar or Eygpt? My Sister just got back from Eygpt for vacation and she loved it. That one may be worth chasing.

We didn't see the expected big crowds in Delphos either. An Eclipse Facebook page had people posting that many towns did not see the crowds that cities in the 2017 Eclipse saw. I don't know if they went somewhere else or were scared off by the forecast of traffic jams. But I-75 around Toledo had a HUGE traffic jam as people from TSUN went home after the Eclipse. At our Museum in Delphos we had visitors from 19 states and the UK. Some had family here but some came here because of our location and some came here because of our connection to Leslie Peltier. It was a great weekend nonetheless.
I stated earlier in the thread that my prediction was busy in urban/ suburban areas. Light in rural areas, especially rural areas not close any major thoroughfare.
I drove from Youngstown (99% totality) to Jefferson (3.5 minutes of totality). Approx 45-50 miles staying off Rt 11. Rt 11 goes from Lake Erie in Ashtabula to Ohio River in East Liverpool. Traveling back around 345-4pm Rt 11 was the busiest I've ever seen. All plates were out of state
The next day the turnpike close to the PA border was backed up East bound. Traffic from sparsely populated Columbiana/East Palestine area was the busiest I've ever seen. I'm assuming that traffic was due to travelers bypassing the Ohio turnpike by going through backrooms to get to Pittsburgh
Also of note- the path was much wider in 24 in comparison to 17. I believe twice as wide, giving people much more choices to drive and observe

I stated earlier in the thread that my prediction was busy in urban/ suburban areas. Light in rural areas, especially rural areas not close any major thoroughfare.
I drove from Youngstown (99% totality) to Jefferson (3.5 minutes of totality). Approx 45-50 miles staying off Rt 11. Rt 11 goes from Lake Erie in Ashtabula to Ohio River in East Liverpool. Traveling back around 345-4pm Rt 11 was the busiest I've ever seen. All plates were out of state
The next day the turnpike close to the PA border was backed up East bound. Traffic from sparsely populated Columbiana/East Palestine area was the busiest I've ever seen. I'm assuming that traffic was due to travelers bypassing the Ohio turnpike by going through backrooms to get to Pittsburgh
Also of note- the path was much wider in 24 in comparison to 17. I believe twice as wide, giving people much more choices to drive and observe
I went to Middlefield. Was hoping further west I went, the better the cloud situation would be. It was hazy, but generally clear enough to see the sun.

422 to Parkman was packed on the drive out. But heading north was easy. Was quite crowded at the park in Middlefield. The ride back wasn't as busy on 422 until east of Warren. HOLY **** was 82 cramped going through the construction from Market St to Howland-Wilson Rd. Didn't even consider taking 11, the onramp was backed up all the way to Market St. 11 southbound was bumper-to-bumper across the overpass. Took 82 to 193 and cut through town that way. Didn't even want to venture how busy Hubbard exit would be on 7 with out-of-staters realizing gas would be cheaper before crossing into PA.

Overall, was much more surreal and interesting than I thought it would be. I passed up trying to see the one in 2017 and now wish I hadn't. The different between 90% and 100% is not even comparable. Anyone saying 'they saw the eclipse' but didn't see totality didn't really see anything. It's that big of a difference.

eclipse-2.JPG

eclipse-3.JPG

eclipse-1.JPG

I went to Middlefield. Was hoping further west I went, the better the cloud situation would be. It was hazy, but generally clear enough to see the sun.

422 to Parkman was packed on the drive out. But heading north was easy. Was quite crowded at the park in Middlefield. The ride back wasn't as busy on 422 until east of Warren. HOLY **** was 82 cramped going through the construction from Market St to Howland-Wilson Rd. Didn't even consider taking 11, the onramp was backed up all the way to Market St. 11 southbound was bumper-to-bumper across the overpass. Took 82 to 193 and cut through town that way. Didn't even want to venture how busy Hubbard exit would be on 7 with out-of-staters realizing gas would be cheaper before crossing into PA.

Overall, was much more surreal and interesting than I thought it would be. I passed up trying to see the one in 2017 and now wish I hadn't. The different between 90% and 100% is not even comparable. Anyone saying 'they saw the eclipse' but didn't see totality didn't really see anything. It's that big of a difference.
I surprised myself as I had seen several partial eclipses and thought I would just casually observe this one. A partial vs a total are two entirely different events. I was in awe at the speed at which the sun disappeared and then came back. Had my appropriate Beatles song ready for the second half.

I surprised myself as I had seen several partial eclipses and thought I would just casually observe this one. A partial vs a total are two entirely different events. I was in awe at the speed at which the sun disappeared and then came back. Had my appropriate Beatles song ready for the second half.
I think Neil deGrass Tyson summed it up best (paraphrasing): 1% of the sun equals the light of 10,000 full moons.

The difference in brightness is just staggering.