Ohio State at NCAAs

Any team not named Penn State will be lucky to win a trophy. There is tremendous parity in spots 2-10. With most of the top teams teams so active in the portal—getting a trophy is gonna be very challenging and require some breaks including staying healthy. I hope the Bucks can get it done—but if you think they are a lock to beat out NC State, Iowa, Michigan, Iowa St., Va Tech, Nebraska, Missouri, Cornell and others I would say that is extremely optimistic. Can they? Of course. Should they? Maybe. But they are no lock.
careful what you'er betting on here. when you just say trophy you might be in the market for a new car sooner than you expect.

careful what you'er betting on here. when you just say trophy you might be in the market for a new car sooner than you expect.
You are mixing up my posts. I said I would bet my car they aren’t winning a championship in the next 2-3 years. Yet you quote my post about how I said winning a trophy (top 3) will be difficult and is not a lock.
As much as I love them, OSU had a great tourney and still only scored 62. Mesenbrink, Kasak and Haines alone scored 64.5 and they ain’t going away anytime soon. Add in additional significant contributions in the future from SVN, Barr, Davis, Lilledahl, Mirasola and more and I think my car is pretty safe.

You are mixing up my posts. I said I would bet my car they aren’t winning a championship in the next 2-3 years. Yet you quote my post about how I said winning a trophy (top 3) will be difficult and is not a lock.
As much as I love them, OSU had a great tourney and still only scored 62. Mesenbrink, Kasak and Haines alone scored 64.5 and they ain’t going away anytime soon. Add in additional significant contributions in the future from SVN, Barr, Davis, Lilledahl, Mirasola and more and I think my car is pretty safe.
Neither of your posts on page 4 say a Championship Trophy . Just saying....... Some guys are real sticklers when it comes to betting.......

Neither of your posts on page 4 say a Championship Trophy . Just saying....... Some guys are real sticklers when it comes to betting.......
OK TCSoup. You hang on to that cliff. But in my book you are just being intellectually dishonest. My “bet” post was a direct response to the “natty’ post and directly INCLUDED the quote about winning a national championship. And at the time of that post there was no commentary about just winning a trophy. Those posts came later. There really is no other way to read it.

Last edited:
If Coach Ryan sticks to the pledge, I'll root for this team as something different. I think we are seeing some real development in many of our wrestlers. Watch Logan's videos on arm bars, then watch Jesse's rides. Dylan, Brendan, Nick, Ryder, Luke, etc. have all progressed. Not sure I can credit Rocco's run to hi college coaches, but he works like a dog, so I expect we'll see improvement. And I think Nick B takes a giant step next year. This team is full of great kids and entertaining wrestlers. I'm proud to wear their gear.

Cornell is the other team taking the home grown approach, but they have less ability to use the portal. I could see Stanford making a push to keep more Cali wrestlers in state and develop them. Cali wrestling is improving quickly, and Stanford is a good long term choice.

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to see what the odds are for Welsh not making a final again vs. Welsh winning the national title. Remember Welsh had three 4-1 OT matches and his opening round match was 4-2 (which is one takedown to none). All four of those matches had the potential to go the other way had circumstances run differently -- then again that's the peril of close matches (they can be lost just as they can be won).

Hamiti will be in maize & blue next year. I can't say it with 100+% certainty, but I think it's a pretty reasonable bet.

In terms of Ohio natives wrestling, even though seven Ohio natives AA'd and another two were R12, do remember that only four were seeded to AA. From the group of qualifiers, there were also a not insignificant number that went 0-2.

I heard something interesting and I'll put it here since Cornell was mentioned. They were runner up with only 3 All Americans. Nebraska finished 9th with 5 AAs.

I heard something interesting and I'll put it here since Cornell was mentioned. They were runner up with only 3 All Americans. Nebraska finished 9th with 5 AAs.
You are right, with Penn St gobbling up all those points, it made everyone behind them very close in points. Ohio State was 10.5 points away from 2nd place, so if you had a healthy Sasso at 157 this year, where would the Buckeye's have finished? Very real possibility they finish in 2nd place with 4 AAs, and 3 of them in the finals with 1-2 champions.

1711551097156.png

Meyer Shapiro comes in 3rd at 157 and scores 21 team points. Peyton Robb comes in 7th at 157 and scores 7.5 team points. We like to think of All-Americans in terms of finalists/non-finalists, but winning those backside matches is where championships are won.

Not looking at it the right way. The question is whether or not Ryan will break with what he talks about in being "loyal". He stated he would stick with his guys and he believes in them. In the meantime, Michigan lost most of their line-up from 2023 - then went out and grabbed guys from the portal in Augustino, Gomez, Griffin, and Davison. Both Davison and Gomez made it the finals. Griffin almost did and was a past champion. Penn State picked up Nagao and Truax to fill gaps. May have been others - not sure.
PSU also picked up Messenbrink from the portal. And while Cael has a well deserved reputation for developing talent, Truax and Nagao both underperformed vs what they did last year. Messenbrink obviously overperformed.

PSU also picked up Messenbrink from the portal. And while Cael has a well deserved reputation for developing talent, Truax and Nagao both underperformed vs what they did last year. Messenbrink obviously overperformed.
Did he though? This was a kid who teched his way to a Junior World title at what is always one of the most loaded weights, 74KGs. Despite his lowly recruiting status as a senior in high school, my expectation's were through the roof after that. We’ve certainly had more than our share of Junior World titles, but how many Americans can say they teched their way to a junior world title? Spencer Lee at 50 KG maybe?

Did he though? This was a kid who teched his way to a Junior World title at what is always one of the most loaded weights, 74KGs. Despite his lowly recruiting status as a senior in high school, my expectation's were through the roof after that. We’ve certainly had more than our share of Junior World titles, but how many Americans can say they teched their way to a junior world title? Spencer Lee at 50 KG maybe?
He was a late bloomer in high school and wanted to go to PSU but they did not recruit him. When he went to the portal after winning JR world, then PSU wanted him.

Let's not forget coach homegrown n loyal hasn't produced an NCAA champion from Ohio since 2015.

Last edited:
NCAA team placements and points from transfers.

1-PSU scored 58.5 of their 172.5 points from transfers for 34% of their total.
2-UM scored 52.5 of their 71 points from transfers for 74% of their total.
3-Cornell scored 72.5 of their 72.5 points with NO transfers.
4-Iowa scored 40.5 of their 67 points from transfers for 60% of their total.
8-OSU scored 62 of their 62 points with NO transfers.

Re-scored NCAA without transfer points.

1-PSU 114
2-Cornell 72.5
3-VT 64
4-OSU 62
21-UM 18.5

1-PSU 114
2-Cornell 72.5
3-VT 64
4-OSU 62
21-UM 18.5
Cael can't win with his recruit's..he needs transfer's!

1-PSU 114
2-Cornell 72.5
3-VT 64
4-OSU 62
21-UM 18.5
To be fair, Penn St may have still scored more points with other guys that they recruited. Obviously not as much, but still likely would have had more points than 114

To be fair, Penn St may have still scored more points with other guys that they recruited. Obviously not as much, but still likely would have had more points than 114
:unsure:
I was simply sharing some stats of what transfers can do for a team, points wise. Not sure why folks are trying to make a point where one isn't necessary?

Last edited: