Cleveland Browns 2024 Edition

Must be so they don't get caught kickerless if Hopkins gets injured. I'm sure he's been told not to try to play hero.

County sources told 3News Investigates' Lynna Lai that the Haslams began floating the idea of a new $2 billion stadium outside of downtown Cleveland last summer. Those same sources told Lai that the Haslams would be willing to put up half of the money and would look to cobble together regional, state, and private funding for the rest.
So why this piece of land by the airport? County insiders tell 3News Investigates the Haslams like the ready-made infrastructure, with the I-X Center nearby along with easy interstate access. Donovan also points out that owners in today's NFL like to build their own stadiums and develop the area around them.

"One hundred seventy-six acres in Brook Park would give you a dome stadium and all kinds of events there, but you're also looking at restaurants, bars, retail," he added. "A big development, a football experience."

Build it outside Cleveland and avoid all of the red tape and ridiculous politics.

Browns called today, 2500 wasn't enough for 2 tickets in the Dawg Pound for this year. Looks like I owe them another 600 bucks. 155 a game for each ticket, including the two lousy preseason games.

Just doing some research, in 2007 the same tickets were 40 bucks a piece. Accounting for the inflation of today, that would be 60 dollars each.

Don't know how much longer I'll keep them at this rate.

Browns called today, 2500 wasn't enough for 2 tickets in the Dawg Pound for this year. Looks like I owe them another 600 bucks. 155 a game for each ticket, including the two lousy preseason games.

Just doing some research, in 2007 the same tickets were 40 bucks a piece. Accounting for the inflation of today, that would be 60 dollars each.

Interesting stats. I’m sure it is not just the Browns whose season ticket sales have increased like this, it’s across the entire NFL. I believe the Carolina Panthers had a nominal increase in season tickets as well.

$3,100 would probably get you a new big screen and new carpet in your Man Cave to watch the games. I love my football but I’ve been to two NFL games and twoOhio State games since 2002. Personally I believe high school football is still best value.

Personally I believe high school football is still best value.
Absolutely agree. I don't even think it's close, high school football is by far the best value. Though it's probably easy to say that as an Eds guy right now. :)

I'll most likely keep the tickets until they leave the lakefront because they were handed down to me about 10 years ago right as we were coming out of the dark ages (or entering them now that I think about it). I was there for those games in 2016 and 2017. In those years, me being a young 20s guy living downtown, it was great thing to have. No matter how bad they were, someone always wanted to go, and work thought I was "sick" on a lot of Mondays.

My allegiance to "going to the game" actually comes from the good times before and after the game Downtown. That's what years of being terrible does to fans. If they do move out to Brook Park, I probably won't renew unless I get some really good deal. I've been fortunate enough to go to a lot of stadiums, we're spoiled when it comes to stadium location. So are the Steelers and a handful of other teams. Sadly, the Haslams see the money in doing what Kraft did and building their own thing somewhere else where they control everything. I get that it's business, but it ruins the fan experience entirely. I have no desire to go to a chain bar before a game or tailgate in a parking lot that has ridiculous rules on letting people have fun.

Absolutely agree. I don't even think it's close, high school football is by far the best value. Though it's probably easy to say that as an Eds guy right now. :)

I'll most likely keep the tickets until they leave the lakefront because they were handed down to me about 10 years ago right as we were coming out of the dark ages (or entering them now that I think about it). I was there for those games in 2016 and 2017. In those years, me being a young 20s guy living downtown, it was great thing to have. No matter how bad they were, someone always wanted to go, and work thought I was "sick" on a lot of Mondays.

My allegiance to "going to the game" actually comes from the good times before and after the game Downtown. That's what years of being terrible does to fans. If they do move out to Brook Park, I probably won't renew unless I get some really good deal. I've been fortunate enough to go to a lot of stadiums, we're spoiled when it comes to stadium location. So are the Steelers and a handful of other teams. Sadly, the Haslams see the money in doing what Kraft did and building their own thing somewhere else where they control everything. I get that it's business, but it ruins the fan experience entirely. I have no desire to go to a chain bar before a game or tailgate in a parking lot that has ridiculous rules on letting people have fun.

Do you believe the Browns will lose a decent amount if season ticket holders if they move to a stadium just outside of Cleveland? I’m guessing the will still find enough new season ticket holders to offset any potential loss. NFL games are about corporate sponsors, luxury boxes & tv rights. Sadly the mom & pop season ticket holder is at the bottom of the pecking order.

It's a shame. I feel like the faithful fans that stuck around when they were garbage should be locked in at the price point for when they went 0-16. I went to a game in December that year for 5 bucks and was able to walk down to the front row of the dog pound. I think I still overpaid for that ticket.

It's a shame. I feel like the faithful fans that stuck around when they were garbage should be locked in at the price point for when they went 0-16. I went to a game in December that year for 5 bucks and was able to walk down to the front row of the dog pound. I think I still overpaid for that ticket.
I has two Dawg Pound seats from '99 to '08.

As I recall the entire season was $900 for both seats, 10 games total, $45 bucks per ticket.

Then I got tired of ruining beautiful Fall days, heading down there at 10am and coming home about 6pm after another loss.

Do you believe the Browns will lose a decent amount if season ticket holders if they move to a stadium just outside of Cleveland? I’m guessing the will still find enough new season ticket holders to offset any potential loss. NFL games are about corporate sponsors, luxury boxes & tv rights. Sadly the mom & pop season ticket holder is at the bottom of the pecking order.
What COVID taught me about major pro sports is that if nobody bought a ticket, a beer, food, etc, these teams are still making huge bucks.

All the money the fans bring on game day is just gravy.

If the Browns build a domed stadium in Brookpark, season tickets and waiting lists will skyrocket. First, everyone will want to brag that they were amongst the first to attend a game in the new facility; it happened with both Jacobs Field and Gund Arena. Secondly, those who hated sitting in the cold or rain will want tickets that they would have never bought on the lakefront. The diehards who think that sitting outside is the way football is supposed to be played will eventually come around and probably complain that it was like seeing a game in an airplane hanger and that the entire atmosphere was missing. But, they'll still come, even though they might say they never will. And...so many more events could take place in the facility that people will wonder why Cleveland went so long without one.

Pluto:

CLEVELAND, Ohio – When it comes to a football stadium, the last thing Cleveland needs to do is spend $1 billion upgrading the current Browns Stadium. It’s 25 years old. It never was a great venue when it opened – especially compared to the baseball stadium up the street. In 1994, Jacobs Field, as it was originally called, was a palace. It’s now Progressive Field and it’s undergoing major renovations over the next few years. It remains a tremendous ballpark with lots of character.

Browns Stadium has about as much personality as an old-fashioned shopping mall, the kind that are going out of business across the country. Like those malls, no matter what you’d do with them – time has passed them by. The Browns and the city of Cleveland are in a negotiating battle over the stadium. The current plan is to renovate Browns Stadium. Don’t do it. Not worth it.

WHERE TO BUILD IT?

I’m not going to jump into the politics of a Brook Park site vs. something in Cleveland. Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam have floated the Brook Park idea. But I will ask this question: “Is having an outdoor stadium at its current location the best use of downtown Cleveland’s lakefront property?” If you’ve been to other cities on the Great Lakes, you know how Cleveland has wasted that valuable real estate. You can put a football stadium anywhere, you don’t need waterfront property. Those running the city have to know that, just as they have to know the lakefront doesn’t require a football stadium to enhance the location.

I know this won’t make some small businesses near the stadium happy, but please, get the football stadium away from the lake.
How many events are at Browns Stadium each year? Perhaps a dozen? The venues that bring business to downtown Cleveland are the arena and the ballpark. Combined, they cover about 300 days a year with something going on.

WHAT KIND OF STADIUM?

The Haslams are right: The best option for Northeast Ohio when it comes to a football stadium is a dome. It’s also more expensive, perhaps twice as much as upgrading the current stadium. The two stadiums being built now are in Buffalo and Nashville.

1. The Bills are starting a $1.5 billion project for an outdoor stadium. Public funding covers $850 million.
2. Nashville is building a dome for $2.1 billion, with at least $1.2 billion coming from public funding. It will be the new home of the NFL Titans, but other events will be held there because it’s a dome.
3. The three NFL stadiums built entirely with private money are SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles (2020); Gillette Stadium (2002) in Foxboro, Mass.; and MetLife Stadium (2010) in New Jersey.

Notice that only SoFi has recently been entirely funded privately. It also is the home of the Rams and Chargers, two NFL franchises.
There is some discussion of the Bears launching a stadium project, with the team offering $2 billion for a dome project. We’ll see how that plays out.

The NFL hates it when teams pay the entire bill for a stadium. They want all their owners having the option of squeezing cash out of the taxpayers for new venues. It’s how they have always done business and always will. The league has only 32 teams. You can’t open your own NFL franchise. And they leverage that power.

The Browns stadium issue will linger for months. I will write more about it. But the Browns and the city should look at what is best for the lakefront (not a football stadium) and where it would make sense to build a dome. They need to be focused. Put a mutual target on the wall instead of being distracted with different options. Once that’s done, then fight over the money.

If the Browns build a domed stadium in Brookpark, season tickets and waiting lists will skyrocket. First, everyone will want to brag that they were amongst the first to attend a game in the new facility; it happened with both Jacobs Field and Gund Arena. Secondly, those who hated sitting in the cold or rain will want tickets that they would have never bought on the lakefront. The diehards who think that sitting outside is the way football is supposed to be played will eventually come around and probably complain that it was like seeing a game in an airplane hanger and that the entire atmosphere was missing. But, they'll still come, even though they might say they never will. And...so many more events could take place in the facility that people will wonder why Cleveland went so long without one.
Tend to agree with Tom here. The big money will show up with a new domed facility.

Hard no on the Brook Park move here. This will absolutely price out what few common man seats are left. And I'll be collecting Social Security before the lakefront gets developed. Haslam has enough money and we don't need another tacky "football village" as Canton already has it covered with eyesore at the Hall of Fame.

Anybody else at all perturbed that a stadium built 25 years ago now is deemed to need replaced? BS.

Come to Columbus, we have an awesome building that seats 100K+ for football and is 102 years old. Its been renovated a few times, but the bones are great and it will last another 50+.

Anybody else at all perturbed that a stadium built 25 years ago now is deemed to need replaced? BS.

Come to Columbus, we have an awesome building that seats 100K+ for football and is 102 years old. It’s been renovated a few times, but the bones are great and it will last another 50+.
The real issue is it was foolish to build it on that parcel of land. The entire project was hastily thrown together because Cleveland was in panic mode. I’ve always wondered why the city holds Burke Lakefront Airport in such an untouchable fashion. That is prime land where a domed stadium complex could be built while the Browns play in the current stadium, which would eventually be demolished in the lakefront redevelopment plan.

The real issue is it was foolish to build it on that parcel of land. The entire project was hastily thrown together because Cleveland was in panic mode. I’ve always wondered why the city holds Burke Lakefront Airport in such an untouchable fashion. That is prime land where a domed stadium complex could be built while the Browns play in the current stadium, which would eventually be demolished in the lakefront redevelopment plan.
I thought I had heard that Burke was built on an old landfill which makes it cost prohibitive to build anything there.

Dire as all of this may sound for the city, it may not be a tragedy. That’s because the city lakefront is highly valuable, whether the stadium stays or goes. City officials weren’t talking about their options this week, but Robert Brown, a retired former Cleveland planning director, said he was skeptical that keeping the stadium on the lakefront makes sense.

“I am still hopeful that the stadium that is used for just a couple weeks a year can someday be replaced by a mixed-use, pedestrian-friendly development that brings vibrancy to the downtown lakefront 365 days a year!” he wrote in an email. “The downtown lakefront is much too big an asset to waste on the current little-used facility.”

“You could paint the vision of what our community could be and the jobs it can provide and the surrounding development or just the growth that could happen from it,” Dee Haslam told cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot and four other reporters who cover the team. “I look at it as very positive.” Such a project could have the potential to “transform our area,” Haslam said. It would almost certainly include plans for restaurants, bars, shopping — all sorts of attractions — that people could enjoy not just on game days, but year-round.

Zimbalist says a Brook Park dome would need to be part of a designed district with mixed-used development around the stadium to have “even a remote chance of making sense economically.”

Last edited:
Cleveland threatens to invoke " Modell Law" in an effort to keep the Browns in the city. Expect a court battle if the Haslams want to move to Brookpark.

This isn't as smart of a move as this councilman thinks. It actually makes the Mayor's office and City Council look dumb (insert your own joke here). Brook Park literally borders Cleveland proper. The Law was made so a team can't be moved to completely different state. Look at the list of teams that don't play in the city in their titles:

San Francisco (Santa Clara)
LA Teams (Inglewood)
NY Teams (East Rutherford, NJ)
Las Vegas (Paradise, NV)
Dallas (Arlington)
Washington (Landover, MD)
Miami (Miami Gardens)
Buffalo (Orchard Park)

That's 10/32 franchises. Chicago is likely moving to Arlington Park

Also who do you think has better lawyers? City of Cleveland's or a guy whose lawyers kept him out of prison while he pocketed billions?

I thought the Browns Stadium, and old Municipal Stadium, also were built on landfill?
You are right there...shook off some cobwebs, and now maybe I was thinking that Burke was built on a man made base, and that made it difficult to build large, heavy structures on. Not impossible, but far more costly.