Ohio State at NCAAs

OSU has gotten top recruits but they have underperformed. Paddy, Carson, and Nic were all expected to be studs and have been mediocre. Seth is the biggest bust in recent memory.
I’ll give you 2/4. Carson has been riddled with injuries. Can’t hold that against him. IMO he looked better at 74 than 65, probably a decent sized weight cut. Bouzakis is in his first year in the line up. Not every top recruit comes in right away and wins nattys. He’s still in the running to AA and lost 5-4 to Fix, that’s pretty respectable. Tough draw and fix is damn near 30, but let’s wait and see what happens on the backside before we call him a bust.

Since 2013 we’ve had 96 NCAA qualifiers. 4 national champs and 46 AA’s. I hardly call that underperforming. Maybe it’s not Penn State level, but it’s produced one of the top wrestling programs in the country.

Could have added Kerk to this list, but he followed Snyder, respectable.

Are there things I’d like to see improved? Of course, but I’m not on the coaching staff. Ask Cael if he sees things they’d like to improve and I’m sure he’d say yes.

Yesterday has me excited for the future, I think we are set at 133,141, 174, 184 and 285. I think Geog has potential and could end up on the same track as Romeo, and we could be good at 125 (to early to tell for sure though). Recruiting misses and injuries have really boned us at 157 and 165 and we will find a replacement at 149. But year I am excited for the future.

People complain about the coaching staff, but look at the growth of McCrone. He's a great kid too, which makes it even better to see.

I think you could argue Bouzakis should have won that challenge against fix and could argue he stalled throughout the match. I can't comprehend how anyone could make a decision on his career after losing a very close match to fix as a RS freshman.

You could definitely argue Seth and Paddy are misses. I can't see how you could blame coaching on Karchla. He's wrestled well when his body could hold up and although you hoped he be a multiple time AA or National Champ. He AA'd once, I think he was a match away last year and looked on track this year.

I've said it before out of all the d1 colleges, covid hurt OSU probably more than anyone. They were in the middle of transitioning from a set of recruits and the way the extra year was given it really didn't help any of their guys...

If Bouzakis wins this 1st one today, heore than likely gets Nagao from Penn State next
Expectations would say Bouzakis should win. Nageo - who knows what to expect from him. He has definitely not looked the same this year and Chlebove is more than a game opponent and I wouldn't be shocked if that's who Bouzakis gets next should he beat Cardinal this morning.

Expectations would say Bouzakis should win. Nageo - who knows what to expect from him. He has definitely not looked the same this year and Chlebove is more than a game opponent and I wouldn't be shocked if that's who Bouzakis gets next should he beat Cardinal this morning.
Even if he wins the next two ............. and i think he can.......... he will get the loser of #3 Orine (NCST) and #6 Arujou (Cor) in the rd of 12 (blood rd).

Paddy went 2-2 at NCAAs last year as a RS frosh. I think he continues to develop. I want to see him back at 157 next year. Although Haines and Shapiro may run the weight (if both there) I'm hoping Paddy can slide into that 2nd tier range of #'s 3-8.

McCrone goes 1-2 in his first NCAA tournament falling to Provo, who I thought he could beat.

Would I be mad if he came back as the starter next year? No
Do I think they should look to the portal to be more competitive next year at 125? Yes

Mendez SPLADLE onto the semis vs a touch Echemendia.

DD with a nice W over Rathjen in the consis, not sure if they've wrestled before.

So far solid round, still plenty of matches left.

People complain about the coaching staff, but look at the growth of McCrone. He's a great kid too, which makes it even better to see.

I think you could argue Bouzakis should have won that challenge against fix and could argue he stalled throughout the match. I can't comprehend how anyone could make a decision on his career after losing a very close match to fix as a RS freshman.

You could definitely argue Seth and Paddy are misses. I can't see how you could blame coaching on Karchla. He's wrestled well when his body could hold up and although you hoped he be a multiple time AA or National Champ. He AA'd once, I think he was a match away last year and looked on track this year.

I've said it before out of all the d1 colleges, covid hurt OSU probably more than anyone. They were in the middle of transitioning from a set of recruits and the way the extra year was given it really didn't help any of their guys...
Agreed, they also had some misses on some recruits during that time so they had a huge roster turn over. But you have seen all the wrestlers progress, even the elite ones like Feldman have gotten better. This is the first NCAA tournament for 7 out of the 9 wrestlers and have been very competitive for the most part even the matches that they lost. I don't know how any Buckeye could not be excited about the program a couple tweaks to the roster and this team is back in trophy contention next year.

McCrone goes 1-2 in his first NCAA tournament falling to Provo, who I thought he could beat.

Would I be mad if he came back as the starter next year? No
Do I think they should look to the portal to be more competitive next year at 125? Yes
I'm probably biased because I remember him in high school. But i think he's made tremendous strides and still will continue to improve.

With 125 basically a crapshoot I wouldn't be sure enough to head to the portal.