State Tournament 2024-25

With the new 7 Division System, what will the State Tournament look like in 2024-25. If OHSAA continues to do the final 4, the number of games goes from 12 to 21. That isn't going to happen in the current Thursday through Saturday model.

You would think they will have to have multiple sites for state games and overlap times. 7 feels like way too many divisions. Then again we have 7 for football and there are way less schools who have football than basketball.

I just can't see them doing that for the media covering the games. That's probably part of the reason they stopped having alternate sites for football and just have it in one location. Unfortunately, I believe this was the last season of having the Final Four format. They could do a state semifinal / championship format for the girls basketball week, but it's going to be in possible for the week after for the boys state tournament.

Dayton needs that arena Tuesday and Wednesday for the First Four and Thursday to set up properly for the boys state tournament. You can't be going into Monday-Tuesday of the next week for state championship games. It's just not ideal for schools, student-athletes, and those communities and fans. Of course, it would effect the $$ for OHSAA as well so it just won't happen.

Two different thoughts for the format:

1) Like 14Red said, but differently. All state championship games still at Dayton, but all state semifinal games at Wright State. There will be some overlap, but at least for media purposes, if they want to cover all the state championship games, they would be in one location. It would probably look something like this on the girls' side (a day later on the boys' side) as an example.

WRIGHT STATE - STATE SEMIFINAL GAMES
Tuesday = D7 #1 (1:00pm), D7 #2 (3:00pm), D6 #1 (6:00pm), D6 #2 (8:00pm)
Wednesday = D5 #1 (1:00pm), D5 #2 (3:00pm), D4 #1 (6:00pm), D4 #2 (8:00pm)
Thursday = D3 #1 (1:00pm), D3 #2 (3:00pm), D2 #1 (6:00pm), D2 #2 (8:00pm)
Friday = D1 #1 (1:00pm), D1 #2 (3:00pm)

DAYTON - STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES
Friday = D7 (2:00pm), D6 (5:15pm), D5 (8:30pm)
Saturday = D4 (10:45am), D3 (2:00pm), D2 (5:15pm), D1 (8:30pm)

2) Or as they do it right now for sports like soccer and football, State Semifinals are at a neutral site to be determined on Tuesday/Wednesday and then the state championship games are in Dayton on Friday/Saturday.

7 Divisions just passed for next School yr. Sure all involved are working on a plan going forward. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

I am not sure how it affects the rest of the tournament but I see where it could just be a state final game in each division like football. I have a hard time envisioning a Tuesday through Saturday State Tournament. Maybe Regional Finals and State Semi-finals somehow go together the weekend before.

My guess is it'll go to a set-up similar to the football one where only the state championship games are played at the state weekend site/times.

The plan is semifinals on M-Tu-W and the finals on Fri (3 games) and Sat (4 games), according to what I was told last weekend