2024 Massillon Tigers

If it transpires, I’m sure it will be funded (cough cough).
Fans surely aren’t expected to go but we all know some will. ( We are a crazy bunch!)

FYI for a long trip, I would have preferred a trip to Florida……..

To a degree. But "for the kids" as an all-encompassing, shut-down-debate retort is a cop-out -- it doesn't justify anything and everything.
I haven't seen a legitimate debate yet just all lot of incorrect assumptions. I'd like to add whatever Coach Moore does isn't just for the kids but for the program as a whole.

I haven't seen a legitimate debate yet just all lot of incorrect assumptions.
Then correct them.

In the meantime, it's just a discussion. Some folks want to play a national schedule. Some don't. No harm in a little back and forth about the merits and drawbacks of each.

Right if they were only maga then everyone would go, Lol. :rolleyes:

Beautiful country btw. I'd incorporate a mini-vaca to Mt. Rainier or Olympic etc. Would be pretty insane to fly that far to a game and then fly back.
The entire west coast is just regular working class people once you’re outside of the big cities. Yes, it’s beautiful country, I would plan a golf trip to Bandon Dunes if I go out for the game but the mountains and going up into Washington is a good idea.

I’ve heard the rumors, and I hope they’re not true.
A few reasons why (in no certain order)

1. Travel time and cost. —The cost of travel is a turn-off to fans. We have a lot of working class fans who can’t afford to travel/ stay on the other side of the nation at a whim (CAK to Portland is $335+ for a round trip). We also have a lot of older fans who can’t travel that far. It is also a long ways to go… a lot different than going to IN or PA for a game. Is the school going to pay for player/band parents to travel?

2. Travel distance— this isn’t Indianapolis. This would probably be the farthest away we have ever played. CAK to Portland is a 7hr flight.

3. Broadcasting/coverage— Are local radio and journalists going to travel to Oregon? How much coverage will we actually get?

4. Time Zone Diff.— Oregon has a 3hr. time difference. If they kick off at 7ET, it will be 10:00 there. If they go at 7:00PT, it will be 4:00 here; many fans will still be at work.

5. Pride— I feel that unless this is a really good team, we will be stooping to a level where we are the “traveling team” (the top Oregon team, Portland Central, is ranked 89th, a spot lower than Avon). This might be the most irrelevant factor, but I feel that we’ve stooped enough already by going up to St Ed’s because they cried about playing on the road.

Overall I think it would be a bad idea. Hopefully the rumors aren’t true.
Just curious...Why doesn't Massillon want to travel to play eds or any other team for that matter?

Not trying to stir the pot, but Massillon seems to have more home games than other schools.

Thank you for any info/insight!

Just curious...Why doesn't Massillon want to travel to play eds or any other team for that matter?

Not trying to stir the pot, but Massillon seems to have more home games than other schools.

Massillon has and had home/away deals with many teams. Many who now are declining to play. Eds was a little different in that they were a much larger and highly favored D1 desperate for local opponents so we agreed contingent on playing at PBTS. It is harder to make that argument today having won the last 2 games and being somewhat desperate ourselves. We prefer at least 7 home games but we had 6 in 2019 so the new reality is probably 6-7 or adding oos teams.

Also keep in mind Massillon is not in a league (thank God) so our away games are not local like those others also. Many who have 5-6 home games never have to travel more than 10-15 minutes so it's not really apples to apples. Massillon would be HAPPY to add any Stark or surrounding school to a home/way contract but it takes 2 to tango.

Last edited:

Massillon is playing AT St Ed’s this year.

Also factor in that teams like St Ed’s and Iggy don’t have their own stadiums and many other schools have small stadiums that would struggle to accommodate the amount of people who want to go.

Also keep in mind Massillon is not in a league (than God) so our away games are not local like those others also. Many who have 5-6 home games never have to travel more than 10-15 minutes so it's not really apples to apples. Massillon would be HAPPY to add any Stark or surrounding school to a home/way contract but it takes 2 to tango.
Bingo. Massillon travels more going to Warren/Fitch than say Mck going to Perry, Glenoak, or North Canton.

Coach Moore is well aware of how important it is to have as many home games as possible and has said as much more than once. But I seem to recall he also expressed a desire to take the kids on a long trip if the opportunity presented itself.

Coach Moore is well aware of how important it is to have as many home games as possible and has said as much more than once. But I seem to recall he also expressed a desire to take the kids on a long trip if the opportunity presented itself.

I would love to go and possibly might but yes that would be an awesome experience for them.

I would assume/hope it would be live-streamed for all the diehards who could not make such a trip.