Overtime Rules

SnatchSingle

Can someone clarify overtime for me? I know the first OT is first to score. In the 30 second periods, does a wrestler have the option to choose neutral? I’ve been told they had to choose top or bottom, but I just watched a wrestler choose neutral in the second :30 period.

Yes, 2nd OT is choice of top or bottom or defer...I watched the same thing and thought I was wondering what was going on.

I would imagine so. Ty Wilson chose down in OT and Zack Aquila gave him a point to start neutral. That would be a weird loophole.

Screenshot_20240309-122442_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Can someone clarify overtime for me? I know the first OT is first to score. In the 30 second periods, does a wrestler have the option to choose neutral? I’ve been told they had to choose top or bottom, but I just watched a wrestler choose neutral in the second :30 period.
Referees blew the call. You cannot choose neutral. If the wrestler wanted to be on his feet he would have had to choose top, and cut the opposing wrestler giving up a point. That takedown on Ty Wilson should have sent the match into Ultimate Tie Breaker, not deciding the match.

Rule reference - 6-7-1-3 and 6-7-1-4

Referees blew the call. You cannot choose neutral. If the wrestler wanted to be on his feet he would have had to choose top, and cut the opposing wrestler giving up a point. That takedown on Ty Wilson should have sent the match into Ultimate Tie Breaker, not deciding the match.

Rule reference - 6-7-1-3 and 6-7-1-4
The competitors shouldn’t have left the area. It would absolutely be bad time.
Stunning

Yea i cant believe the two officials the official at the table and the coaches in the corner didnt realize you cant take neutral, a very bizarre tournament moment.

This is interesting. We had a kid at Ironman get tot the 6th period and coaches told him to take neutral. The refs allowed it. It’s clear that a LOT of coaches and refs do not know this rule.

Per conversation I had tonight on the floor at the state tournament, the call was blown. The refs, table crew, and coaches all missed it. Not only that, but I think someone must have overridden the Track Wrestling controller since I was told that the Track controller doesn't allow neutral as a choice in 30/30. I don't have as good confirmation on the Track Wrestling piece.

The outcome of the situation - if properly identified and protested - would have been bad time from the point of the misapplication of a rule.

I do think it is a rule that lots of people are confused about. In another conversation tonight, someone told me the same thing came up in a district final last week at Darby, and it was properly identified and a top/bottom choice was forced to occur.

There's enough blame to go around on this one. While the refs and table should know the rule, so should the coaches.