2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

Appears most of the mock drafts have the Steelers taking a tackle. I’m fine with that. It appears it’s a good draft for OTs and pundits have many being picked in R1. Center, LB and corner are also popular choices in 3 round draft projections.

Frankly I can’t recall the last draft projection where they got the Steeler #1 right. Last year a few were picking Joey Porter in R1 but he ended up falling to them in R2.

Here’s a sample from 6 different mocks, none had the Steelers picking the same player:

Troy Fautanu T Washington
Kool Aid McKinsley CB Alabama
Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Graham Barton G Duke
Amarius Mims T Georgia

Last edited:
Depends if they move DJ. They could probably get a second for him. That would change their approach a little bit.

Smith’s scheme demands more blocking from the WRs so I wouldn’t be shocked if they go for a big bodied possession type. Makes you wonder why they didn’t bring in Hines Ward to be a receivers coach.

Depends if they move DJ. They could probably get a second for him. That would change their approach a little bit.

Smith’s scheme demands more blocking from the WRs so I wouldn’t be shocked if they go for a big bodied possession type. Makes you wonder why they didn’t bring in Hines Ward to be a receivers coach.

I doubt if the Steelers move off of wr Diontae Johnson but if they do, I believe it would be via cutting him rather than trading him. Johnson counts for $15.8 mil against the cap in 2024 and becomes a free agent after the season. If cut, the Steelers would save $10 mil against the cap ($5.8 mil dead money). Again I do not see the Steelers cutting him but I do not see anyone trading 2nd round pick for him with that cap hit and him being a one year rental. Other free agent wr’s this is are Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Mike Evans, Marquis Brown, Calvin Ridley, Darnell Mooney and not to mention Davante Adams & Stefan Diggs could probably be had in a trade.

Appears most of the mock drafts have the Steelers taking a tackle. I’m fine with that. It appears it’s a good draft for OTs and pundits have many being picked in R1. Center, LB and corner are also popular choices in 3 round draft projections.

Frankly I can’t recall the last draft projection where they got the Steeler #1 right. Last year a few were picking Joey Porter in R1 but he ended up falling to them in R2.

Here’s a sample from 6 different mocks, none had the Steelers picking the same player:

Troy Fautanu T Washington
Kool Aid McKinsley CB Alabama
Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Graham Barton G Duke
Amarius Mims T Georgia

The name I have seen as the most likely 1st rd Steeler pick is Oregon C Jackson Powers-Johnson. Another player who impressed at the combine is Toledo cb Quinton Mitchell and Tomlin &!GM Omar were there during the week. I have seen the Georgia T Amarius Mims a lot but he has only started 8 games in college and he had an ankle injury last year than kept him out of a few games. He’s only 20 years old & a great athlete, he didn’t play early in his career in part because he was behind some great OT’s on Georgia’s stacked roster.

If the Steelers do not go with the Oregon C in the 1st (he could go earlier), the next best C is West Virginia’s Zach Frazier but I do not believe he will be around when the Steelers pick in the 2nd (52nd overall).

2023 appears to be a very, very good draft for the Steelers. Hopefully GM Omar can duplicate it again for 2024.

I was surprised that I didn’t see a center mentioned in any of those mocks. I have seen discussions about both the centers you mentioned. The Oregon center might be the pick. 1st round is maybe too early for Frazier (I don’t know🤷🏼)

Nice guy and he was durable (I think he only miss a game or two) but he was weak link on the Oline. This saves $5 mil towards the cap. Looks like the Oregon or WV center will be sought after in the draft by the Steelers

I doubt if the Steelers move off of wr Diontae Johnson but if they do, I believe it would be via cutting him rather than trading him. Johnson counts for $15.8 mil against the cap in 2024 and becomes a free agent after the season. If cut, the Steelers would save $10 mil against the cap ($5.8 mil dead money). Again I do not see the Steelers cutting him but I do not see anyone trading 2nd round pick for him with that cap hit and him being a one year rental. Other free agent wr’s this is are Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Mike Evans, Marquis Brown, Calvin Ridley, Darnell Mooney and not to mention Davante Adams & Stefan Diggs could probably be had in a trade.

Those guys will be scooped up the moment FA opens with the cap jumping to $255m. Someone will miss out and be willing to play ball. DJ would be cheaper than Adams or Diggs in both asking price and future contract negotiations.

Those guys will be scooped up the moment FA opens with the cap jumping to $255m. Someone will miss out and be willing to play ball. DJ would be cheaper than Adams or Diggs in both asking price and future contract negotiations.
There is absolutely zero chance of the Steelers getting a 2nd round pick for Johnson.

Also, Davante Adams is 32 with 3 years left on his deal (he will be cut before year 3). Stefan Diggs is 31 with 4 years left on his deal. Neither guy will is getting another deal unless it’s a restructure/ reduction of $$$. Both guys could be had for little draft picks because of their cap hits.

reading/hearing more about Fields ending up in Atlanta which i'm sure will make a lot of people on here happy. i'm not one of them.

PITTSBURGH (WKBN) — Former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Andy Russell has died at the age of 82.

He helped lead the Steelers to back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1975 and 1976.

Russell was originally a 16th-round selection in the 1963 NFL Draft and spent his entire playing career with Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH (WKBN) — Former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Andy Russell has died at the age of 82.

He helped lead the Steelers to back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1975 and 1976.

Russell was originally a 16th-round selection in the 1963 NFL Draft and spent his entire playing career with Pittsburgh.
Sad news. One of my favorites as a youth.

1709385133069.jpeg

Crazy to think about. 54 years. In contrast The Browns and Bengals have combined for six top-five picks since 2011 and more top-10 picks.

Last edited:
View attachment 55248
Crazy to think about. 54 years.

Bradshaw also had a very difficult start to his NFL career, he lost his starting job in his 5th season (1974) for a few games. The game has changed so much from Bradshaw’s time to now. Bradshaw threw 212 career td’s and 210 career int’s. One wouldn’t last 1/2 a season with a 1 to 1 td to int ratio in today’s game. Extremely talented guy (6’3, 215 lbs) with a rocket arm and mobile. Bradshaw would still be a Top 5 pick if he was a college senior coming out for the draft.

Bradshaw recently came out in support of Kenny Pickett stating he liked Pickett’s poise.

Bradshaw also had a very difficult start to his NFL career, he lost his starting job in his 5th season (1974) for a few games. The game has changed so much from Bradshaw’s time to now. Bradshaw threw 212 career td’s and 210 career int’s. One wouldn’t last 1/2 a season with a 1 to 1 td to int ratio in today’s game. Extremely talented guy (6’3, 215 lbs) with a rocket arm and mobile. Bradshaw would still be a Top 5 pick if he was a college senior coming out for the draft.

Bradshaw recently came out in support of Kenny Pickett stating he liked Pickett’s poise.

Article states the Steelers would be willing to trade Johnson for probably a mid 3rd round pick selection. “Two factors hurt the Steelers’ leverage: Johnson has a $16 million cap hit in 2024, and the acquiring team would have to re-sign him.”

If they do this does that mean a WR with pick 2 and maybe with one of the 3rd picks? Acquire a Wr FA? If they trade DJ they’ll need 2 new receivers. Steelers no.3 WR at the moment needs an upgrade also.

If they do this does that mean a WR with pick 2 and maybe with one of the 3rd picks? Acquire a Wr FA? If they trade DJ they’ll need 2 new receivers. Steelers no.3 WR at the moment needs an upgrade also.

I think you are spot on, a wr taken in the 2nd or 3rd round seems pretty likely even if they keep Johnson. Johnson & Pickens are very talented but can be idiots who don’t always give 100% - they each proved that in 2023. The Steelers met with several wr’s at the combine this year. I don’t see a FA wr coming in unless he’s on the cheap.

I could see the Steelers looking at Tennessee Titans FA Center Aaron Brewer (11th rated 2023 center per PFF). He’s 26 and played there when OC Smith was at Tennessee. PFF projects Brewer signing a 3 year, $20 mil deal total. If the Steelers do not sign a center they will either:
A) draft one (Oregon or WV guy)
B) move RG Daniels to center
C) perhaps give Herbig a chance at either Center or Daniels spot at RG

Seldom do the Steelers just give a rookie a starting spot. Center is probably the 2nd toughest spot outside of QB to just come in & start.

So Trubisky has signed with the Bills. What a disappointment he was. When the Steelers signed him I thought it was a good addition and maybe the guy for the next 5 years. I’m frankly surprised that he was picked up by another NFL team this quickly.

Is there any chance Wilson goes to the Steelers?

I think if they brought him in, and beefed up the OLine in the draft/FA, that would be a good move.

I don't think it would make much sense for him. The OL is not good, they're talking about trading away their #2 WR, and there's a whole new offensive scheme coming in. He has very little shot at another ring here in the next few years.