Another Rough Day for Officials

I ask because Middletown Sectional had a situation where Hamilton was at least 30 minutes (maybe more) late to weigh-ins and were allowed into the tournament. So that means every D1 Sectional should have extended their weigh-ins by at least 30 minutes, which I hope happened. If you had a kid who missed weight and were not given the extra time, you might want to place a call to Columbus.

On a completely different topic, I witnessed some of the worst officiating yesterday than I have in a very long time, and I've been to plenty of JV and Girl's events this year too. If you are even considering being an official, please do so. Yesterday's experience was rough for everyone!
Call Columbus, they won’t care.

I ask because Middletown Sectional had a situation where Hamilton was at least 30 minutes (maybe more) late to weigh-ins and were allowed into the tournament. So that means every D1 Sectional should have extended their weigh-ins by at least 30 minutes, which I hope happened. If you had a kid who missed weight and were not given the extra time, you might want to place a call to Columbus.

On a completely different topic, I witnessed some of the worst officiating yesterday than I have in a very long time, and I've been to plenty of JV and Girl's events this year too. If you are even considering being an official, please do so. Yesterday's experience was rough for everyone!
Few issues with your idea
1. It is an isolated issue to one sectional, so not really that big a issue
2. Not very feasible, so many sectionals to call, why would the site manager have all sectional numbers, then assume you start calling some weigh ins would probably had started or how can every time get equal time unless they all started weigh ins at same time which again is unrealistic for that to happen in reaching all the sectionals.
3. Scales in sectionals already have slight variations among each other so nothing is going to be perfect
4. Assume ( not sure ) sectional manager could start weighins and when Hamilton arrived they were just slide them in if weigh ins were still going or would have to weigh it once they arrived as a team.

I was at the Rootstown sectional and to me, the officiating was very good. Nothing stood out as being a wrong call. Very few coaches challenging calls and not much grumbling from fans. When officials are not noticed much it is a good thing!

I think the officials are put into a tough position with the two feet in bounds rule it is very difficult to call, and add in the scrambling and did he cover the hips is not easy. The rules make it very hard to be consistent, high school cant have college out of bounds because of space issues.

I was at the Wadsworth Sectional and the officiating was excellent. Never once saw an official called to the table.
I was at the girls event at Hamilton Friday night, and it was a literal SW Ohio All Star Team of officials. Very hi-level officiating that night. Most are very, very good. Sometimes the collective at any given event just don't make the mark.

I will readily admit that being a wrestling official is far too tough of a job for me, but that doesn't mean I can't call out bad officiating when it occurs. But thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

As far as what happened at the Sectional, the host school made the announcement that at 8 a.m. all wrestlers would be isolated in the auxiliary gym, and no one would be allowed in. Then the normal talk about no one could be doing anything to lose weight, and all mouth guards and braces needed to be in the gym because nothing was allowed in after 8.

The weigh-ins went fine, and then there's some talk about a Team that didn't show, but that they would be there shortly. I asked the Head Official what was going on, and he said he'd run it up his flagpole to Columbus, and they said go ahead and let the Team in when they arrive. Ok, not a huge deal. So I then asked the Head Official if the State would be notifying the other D1 Sectionals that the weigh-ins might have to be extended. My reason for asking was this: there was not a weigh-in window like other tournaments where you can show up anytime within that window to get weighed-in. For the post season, I thought every kid has to be in the gym and ready to be weighed in at the specified time, which was 8 a.m. for this Sectional. If a Team shows up later than that, then there's always the potential of an unfair advantage if anyone on that Team is still doing any weight loss activities. It is because of this potential that I questioned the Head Official about it. I did not check the rules, which is exactly why I asked the Head Official about it in the first place. Had he simply stated that the rules allow for this and that no broader announcement has to be made to the other Sectionals, I'd just accepted it. But he didn't say anything like that. He said he has no idea if there would be a broader announcement made to the other D1 Sectionals, shrugged his shoulders, smiled and walked away.

If the rules allow it (and you purport that they do), then fine. All I was saying is that if a kid in different Sectional failed to make his weight at the 8 a.m. cutoff, then perhaps a conversation could be had with the powers in Columbus about a situation like this arising. Or, what if a kid at this Sectional missed weight at 8 a.m? Could he be allowed another chance since the late Team could conceivable be continuing weight loss activities up until their arrival? The answer is no, likely, but it just doesn't feel right. As you say, the rules likely spell this out, so I will defer to your knowledge and experience on the matter. I'm not accusing or even speculating; I'm just saying there's the potential for there to be some unfairness with respect to the timing of the weigh-ins.
I guess here is my reply. I'm not sure where you're located at in the state of Ohio, but the weather and road conditions were by far not the best early Saturday morning. If this was your team would you expect the same thing from the state or the treatment that the team got for being late? I don't know if you had bad weather conditions or not, but I know there was a ton of people who were on the side of the road or traffic was completely slowed down because of the accidents based off the icy road conditions.

Officials are all so terrible, the problem is the coaches know the rules way better, they should make these officials meet at least 5 meetings to discuss updated rules so they can understand the rules as well as coaches.
Apparently you are not aware that the OHSAA requires every official to attend a minimum of 4 local Association meetings as well as the state rules meeting?
BTW, if you think "the coaches know the rules way better", you are delusional. I think most would admit this. There certainly are some coaches who are well versed in the rules (Dick Bliss at Aurora comes to mind) but their primary responsibility is to coach athletes and run the team. So you know, coaches are more than welcome to attend any meeting we have.

Officials are all so terrible, the problem is the coaches know the rules way better, they should make these officials meet at least 5 meetings to discuss updated rules so they can understand the rules as well as coaches.
Ignorance is bliss.

Apparently you are not aware that the OHSAA requires every official to attend a minimum of 4 local Association meetings as well as the state rules meeting?
BTW, if you think "the coaches know the rules way better", you are delusional. I think most would admit this. There certainly are some coaches who are well versed in the rules (Dick Bliss at Aurora comes to mind) but their primary responsibility is to coach athletes and run the team. So you know, coaches are more than welcome to attend any meeting we have.
One of the few things I’ll ever agree with Jim on.

I don’t know man, sometimes when I watch I feel like the coaches primary responsibility is to coach the official.
Coaches are not bias, only officials.

You are a complete idiot.

Upper Arlington sectional ............refs were great. Its not an easy job.

It makes me laugh how every coach can see potential dangerous before any ref. Lol

Last edited:
Witnessed very good officiating all day at St. Vincent-St Mary. Only issue there was with a specific set of coaches and parent. Put a very small damper on what overall was a very good day from all aspects.

Read the post you responded to and then read what you posted. Does anyone proofread anymore? LOL!!
I guess I don't understand what I messed up.

Was the original post sarcasm?

And usually I don't proofread on yapping to be honest...

Reffing is a tough job, but that can not be used as an excuse. To many refs not getting in position, being lazy, not giving an effort and just wanting to be confrontational. Just because the coach takes you to the table doesn't mean he didn't see something differently or that u totally blew the call, the coach may just need more clarification on what you saw.

With that being said the refs at Middletown, wow not a great showing, collectively it was very bad. Refs blatantly just not knowing the rules or the application of the rules. One ref it never failed within 10 sec of the start of the period hes yelling contact, action. Well sir there is a little feeling out process to the match, their style might not be to just jump right on top of each other.

Its a thankless job, but it is a job, the refs get paid , the should be prepared and ready to work, not just there to collect a paycheck. I feel we are seeing more and more guys there just to get the money with no interest in being a ref. And yes before all the crying starts I was an OHSAA official for over 20 years, I'm just giving my observation. WE for sure need to find a way to get more QUALITY officials into the sport.

Reffing is a tough job, but that can not be used as an excuse. To many refs not getting in position, being lazy, not giving an effort and just wanting to be confrontational. Just because the coach takes you to the table doesn't mean he didn't see something differently or that u totally blew the call, the coach may just need more clarification on what you saw.

With that being said the refs at Middletown, wow not a great showing, collectively it was very bad. Refs blatantly just not knowing the rules or the application of the rules. One ref it never failed within 10 sec of the start of the period hes yelling contact, action. Well sir there is a little feeling out process to the match, their style might not be to just jump right on top of each other.

Its a thankless job, but it is a job, the refs get paid , the should be prepared and ready to work, not just there to collect a paycheck. I feel we are seeing more and more guys there just to get the money with no interest in being a ref. And yes before all the crying starts I was an OHSAA official for over 20 years, I'm just giving my observation. WE for sure need to find a way to get more QUALITY officials into the sport.
While I disagree with a lot of what you wrote (for example we don't make anything close to what would be called a paycheck), your last line actually has some merit.
There is no doubt that wrestling (like every other sport) is suffering from a lack of officials. If YOU can think of a way to get more QUALITY officials involved, I can say with 100% certainty that we want to know what the plan would be. It is easy to use a screen name and throw out a general concept. Now, give us an idea as to what you would propose to make it happen. DM me with your ideas.

While I disagree with a lot of what you wrote (for example we don't make anything close to what would be called a paycheck), your last line actually has some merit.
There is no doubt that wrestling (like every other sport) is suffering from a lack of officials. If YOU can think of a way to get more QUALITY officials involved, I can say with 100% certainty that we want to know what the plan would be. It is easy to use a screen name and throw out a general concept. Now, give us an idea as to what you would propose to make it happen. DM me with your ideas.
There seems to be more and more problem parents, that makes me not want to ever officiate. In fact it played a role in me leaving coaching after almost 20 years. The officiating I saw this weekend over all was pretty good.

You are a complete idiot.

Upper Arlington sectional ............refs were great. Its not an easy job.

It makes me laugh how every coach can see potential dangerous before any ref. Lol
Those refs out there just letting kids get hurt because they don’t wanna stop the match !

Coaching are yelling watch his leg as their guy is about to get scored on, and the ref just looks at the leg and lets them get the takedown, outrageous. No coach would try to stop the match to try to prevent a takedown against there guy from getting a takedown. The fact officials would think this is the problem. Stubborn.

Those refs out there just letting kids get hurt because they don’t wanna stop the match !

Coaching are yelling watch his leg as their guy is about to get scored on, and the ref just looks at the leg and lets them get the takedown, outrageous. No coach would try to stop the match to try to prevent a takedown against there guy from getting a takedown. The fact officials would think this is the problem. Stubborn.
Completely agree, the kids safety should be the officials number one priority. At the end of the day wrestling is a sport and the amount of injuries that occur because of no stoppages is out of control.

would a person make more delivering pizzas or driving to a tournament on a weekend?
the ohsaa can blame parents and coaches all they want, bottom line is pay em

Where are you watching wrestling? I'm sure I know the answer based on the name if legit.

You're nuts if you think coaches aren't yelling that out to get out of situations. Just like the stalemate call they want the second a flurry slows down. I've heard the school you look to be associated with yell out rules from the corner on numerous occasions that aren't actually the rule and sound very foolish and completely incorrect. It's a two way street and you're doing a heck of a job as the new Yappi bridge troll.