Mansfield Malabar
Mendon-Union (primarily Parkway)
Ohio City-Liberty (Van Wert)
Toledo DeVilbiss
Toledo Macomber
Toledo Libbey
Bettsville (Old Fort)
Fostoria St. Wendelin
I was going to mention Macomber and Libbey as both had some really good Basketball teams. As did the Malabar Falcons.

Malabar and Macomber did have their struggles with 1 opponent in particular, and that was Willard under legendary Bob Haas

Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education

I know they were a football power, were they every good at basketball?
Good ole CAPE!!!! lol

Football power, yes! It's funny, I don't remember any other sports at CAPE. I am assuming they had them, just not power houses.

Lincoln Heights was absorbed by Princeton. Lakota split into Lakota East and Lakota West, even though North and South would have been more accurate.

Before 1964 the Ottawa-Glandorf district was 3 separate high schools. Ottawa, Glandorf & Sts Peter & Paul.. All combined when the current high school was built.

St. Edwards in Carroll County situated between Malvern and Carrollton
Bergholz Springfield
Richmond Jefferson Union
Stanton Local (Jefferson County)

Youngstown Rayen, Youngstown South, Youngstown Woodrow Wilson, Youngstown North, Bedford Chanel, Canton St. John, Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education, Warren St. Mary's, Warren Western Reserve, Cincinnati Our Lady of the Angels (girls), Cincinnati Mother of Mercy (girls), Akron Hower, Scienceville, Canton Timken, Cleveland Cathedral Latin, Cincinnati Purcell (now Purcell-Marian), Cincinnati St. Martin DePorres, Dayton St. Joseph Industrial.
There was also a Market Street School in Warren that I believe was for students that were considered special education students. They didn't have football but competed in class A in basketball when there was AA and A, and maybe when there was AAA. Doing a google search provides very limited information about this school.

Springfield North & South, Fairborn Baker & Park Hills, Fairmont East & West, Buckland, Cory Rawson, Dayton Kiser, Wilbur Wright, Stivers, Fairview, Roosevelt, Roth, Colonel White, Patterson, Jefferson, Delaware Olentangy, Warren Western Reserve, Toledo Libbey, Toledo Macomber, Cridersville, and Wapakoneta St. Johns, just off the top of my head...
Stivers closed doors quick I guess. I remember last week when they had to play Preble Shawnee, no hint of closing the doors was made at that time. What's the old saying, "miss a day, miss alot"?

Before 1964 the Ottawa-Glandorf district was 3 separate high schools. Ottawa, Glandorf & Sts Peter & Paul.. All combined when the current high school was built.
I know there are several schools that are public that sound like they are parochial, Sts Peter & Paul was the winner in this category.

I know there are several schools that are public that sound like they are parochial, Sts Peter & Paul was the winner in this category.
Sts Peter & Paul is a private Catholic school. It used to be grades 1-12....... It's only grades 1-8 now then the kids go to Ottawa Glandorf High School as 9th graders

Good ole CAPE!!!! lol

Football power, yes! It's funny, I don't remember any other sports at CAPE. I am assuming they had them, just not power houses.
In have never heard of anynother sports at CAPE either. Would've figured they would've been good at all sports. Were female students allowed to attend CAPE?

I was reading through past basketball tournaments and say one from the 80s called Graysville Skyvue? Not from that part of Ohio, what school did they merge/consolidate with? They made the final 4 twice, 1984 and 1985, being runner up in 1985.

I was reading through past basketball tournaments and say one from the 80s called Graysville Skyvue? Not from that part of Ohio, what school did they merge/consolidate with? They made the final 4 twice, 1984 and 1985, being runner up in 1985.
Consolidated with Woodsfield high school to become Monroe Central high school in 1994

Not to long ago 2012-13, St Peter Chanel, great BB program over the years, 26-0 title 98-99! Also great wrestling 6-7 state titles 3 different div's one title 15-0 in Football 2001

Last edited:
In have never heard of anynother sports at CAPE either. Would've figured they would've been good at all sports. Were female students allowed to attend CAPE?
I just skimmed an article from channel 9 news and it did not say anything about female students specifically. But it did mention that one of the coaches coached many sports and included that he was a cheerleading advisor for a year. That would lead me to believe there were girls there.

Anyone else from the Cincinnati area know?

There was also a Market Street School in Warren that I believe was for students that were considered special education students. They didn't have football but competed in class A in basketball when there was AA and A, and maybe when there was AAA. Doing a google search provides very limited information about this school.
You are correct. Market High School was open from 1960-72. My dad was the principal. The Wildcats played Trumbull County's smaller schools and JV teams from the bigger ones. Toward the end, Market was in the TIA "A" League. Market didn't have a gym, so they played their home basketball games at East Junior High. You're also right that it's hard to find info about Market on the Internet!

I just skimmed an article from channel 9 news and it did not say anything about female students specifically. But it did mention that one of the coaches coached many sports and included that he was a cheerleading advisor for a year. That would lead me to believe there were girls there.

Anyone else from the Cincinnati area know?
Yes, CAPE was co-ed. Their girls basketball team had a good run in the late 80's into the very early 90's under Anita Burke, making a regional semifinal in 1988. They won 18 or 19 games in 1991, then fell off a cliff and won seven the next three years combined.
Some of the players during their (good) run were Tracey Canada, Andrea Smythe, Neishia Chaney, and Jenny Rheude.

CAPE also won the girls Class A Track state championship in 1986 and were runners up in Class AA in 1988.

Madison and Zane Trace,now Buckeye trail
Scio and Jewett,became Jewett scio which became Harrison central
Adena which became Buckeye West which became Buckeye Local along with Buckeye south all had other schools as well.
Flushing
Stanton local
Springfield Local
Freeport,Lakeland now Harrison central
Port Washington,Gnadenhutten,Midvale Tuscarawas became IV North and IV South now IV
Stone Creek
Dundee
Mt. Pleasant and Yorkville

Springfield North & South, Fairborn Baker & Park Hills, Fairmont East & West, Buckland, Cory-Rawson, Dayton Kiser, Wilbur Wright, Stivers, Fairview, Roosevelt, Roth, Colonel White, Patterson, Jefferson, Delaware Olentangy, Warren Western Reserve, Toledo Libbey, Toledo Macomber, Toledo DeVillbiss, Bridgeport, Cridersville, Cleveland West Tech, Akron Kenmore, Akron Central-Hower, Akron West, Akron South, Canton Timken, Salem and Plymouth, as well as Wapakoneta St. Johns, just off the top of my head...
Cory-Rawson is still a school. Nice list though.

Stivers closed doors quick I guess. I remember last week when they had to play Preble Shawnee, no hint of closing the doors was made at that time. What's the old saying, "miss a day, miss alot"?
Looks like the current iteration is the second iteration of Stivers. It did close (as a HS) in 1976 and became a HS again in 1997.

In Butler County there was Reily High School. The Blue Jays. 1957 have been the last year. In the late 1950s Glendale High School and Sharonville High School closed to form Princeton High School. Lincoln Heights, a mostly black community had its own high from 1959 to 1970. It won both the small school state basketball and baseball championships in 1970. Less than a month later the school closed and became part of the Princeton school district. Lockland Wayne, an all-black school existed from 1938 until 1958. It won the small school state basketball championships in 1952 and 1955. Joe Martin was both the principal and basketball coach for the duration. In those days the OHSAA divided schools into Class A (151 or more boys) and Class B (150 or fewer boys). Legend has it that Martin always knew exactly what the male enrollment was at the school. When the potential 151st male tried to enroll, Martin would take the prospective student to the back door, but his arm around him, point to Lockland High School a block or two away and say, "Son, that is where you want to enroll." At least, that's the way legend has it. Also in the 1950s, Terrace Park, an upscale community, had its own high school (the Bulldogs). It merged into Mariemont High School.
No direct mention of Marion Catholic, 50 posts i
No direct mention of Marion Catholic, 50 posts in?

OK. Maron Catholic. Chillicothe Flaget. I think t still exists as an elementary and maybe a middle school only.