High schools that you remember from years ago that no longer exist

tcgobucks

Was going thru Mansfield on Friday.....and for some reason Mansfield Malabar popped into my head. I remembered the name from when I was younger and realized that the school is obviously no longer around. Just googled it and see that it was converted to a middle school. Did the kids that were in HS all go to Mansfield Senior....or is that when Madison HS started?

Any other schools that you remember from back in the day that are gone?

They all went to Mansfield Senior. Mansfield Senior changed their colors from red and white to orange and brown as a connection to Malabar.

Madison was around way before Malabar came into existence. Separate school system.

Lorain Catholic. The Spartans were a small school basketball power under HOF coach Jim Lawhead in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until closing in 2004.

Lorain Senior. The Steelman had a rich athletic history, mostly in the old Buckeye Conference.

Lorain Admiral King. A big school basketball power during its entire history, especially under HOF coach Mitch Gillam.

Lorain Southview. Another great basketball program in Lorain, but better known as a wrestling powerhouse under Dan Ternes.

Elyria West. Good all around athletics in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until being absorbed into Elyria High.

South Amherst. The Cavaliers were consolidated into rival Firelands.

Cincinnati De Porres, Preble Monroe, Camden Shawnee, Gratis, Piqua Catholic, Sidney Holy Angels, Dayton Fairview, Colonel White, Nettie Lee Roth, Theodore Roosevelt Teddies and Celina Immaculate Conception. Imagine the latter being still existent and funded picking off the Catholic kids from MAC land?

Last edited:
Madison and Zane Trace,now Buckeye trail
Scio and Jewett,became Jewett scio which became Harrison central
Adena which became Buckeye West which became Buckeye Local along with Buckeye south all had other schools as well.
Flushing
Stanton local
Springfield Local
Freeport,Lakeland now Harrison central
Port Washington,Gnadenhutten,Midvale Tuscarawas became IV North and IV South now IV
Stone Creek
Dundee

Youngstown Rayen, Youngstown South, Youngstown Woodrow Wilson, Youngstown North, Bedford Chanel, Canton St. John, Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education, Warren St. Mary's, Warren Western Reserve, Cincinnati Our Lady of the Angels (girls), Cincinnati Mother of Mercy (girls), Akron Hower, Scienceville, Canton Timken, Cleveland Cathedral Latin, Cincinnati Purcell (now Purcell-Marian), Cincinnati St. Martin DePorres, Dayton St. Joseph Industrial.

Cleveland Senate schools: South, West, West Tech, Lincoln, East. Catholic schools: Cathedral Latin, Regina, Lumen Cordium, Byzantine, Lourdes, Ursuline Academy, Chanel, St. Augustine, Hoban Dominican, St. John Cantius, St. Stanislaus. Suburban: Midpark.

My brother played at Bedford and they beat Akron Central Hower and Cleveland South in the Akron regional to go to states one year and now both are gone. I also remember the Cleveland South district I thought that gym was so cool growing up

My brother played at Bedford and they beat Akron Central Hower and Cleveland South in the Akron regional to go to states one year and now both are gone. I also remember the Cleveland South district I thought that gym was so cool growing up
I think that Akron Central & Akron Hower merged in the early 70s. I recall Youngstown Ursuline playing Akron Hower at Rayen in '68. It was Coach Tom Carey's 100th victory with the Irish. Central-Hower was a basketball powerhouse in the early '70s and upset undefeated and #1 in the state Youngstown Boardman in the regionals in 1971.

Here are some of the defunct high schools Delphos SJ has played in the last 100+ years of basketball. There might be more but I wasn't sure on some so I didn't list them: Alger, Beaverdam, Celina ICHS, Lincoln Heights, Columbus Holy Rosary, Columbus Wehrle, Cridersville, Dunkirk, Elmore, Forest, Glandorf, Gomer, Grand Rapids, Grover Hill, Harrod, Haviland, Hoagland Jackson, Kenton St. Anthony, Lima St. Gerard, Lima St. John, Lima St. Rose, Lockland Wayne, Marion St. Mary, Marseille, Mendon, Middle Point, Mt. Victory, Nevada, New Lexington St. Aloysius, Oakwood, Ohio City, Ottawa, Payne, Ridge, Rockford, Sidney Holy Angels, Tiro, Vaughnsville, Wapak St. Joseph, Willshire, Wren and York. Not sure about Dayton: Roosevelt, Stivers, Colonel White and Chaminade.

I think that was when Chet “The Jet” Mason was playing for South?

I think that was when Chet “The Jet” Mason was playing for South?
Yep. I was young and honestly remember the Central Hower game more because they had some big guy dunking everything lol. That year was crazy because Bedfords rival Warrensville which is where my mom went won it all in D2. And for some reason I want to say Chanel which is right across the street from Bedford and is also now defunt went to states in D4 that same year too

Yep. I was young and honestly remember the Central Hower game more because they had some big guy dunking everything lol. That year was crazy because Bedfords rival Warrensville which is where my mom went won it all in D2. And for some reason I want to say Chanel which is right across the street from Bedford and is also now defunt went to states in D4 that same year too
Youngstown Ursuline played Bedford Chanel back-to-back in week two in '68 & '69. At the time the school had 1000 boys. Eventually it became co-ed and renamed St. Peter Chanel after Chanel was canonized by John Paul II. A relatively new school, Chanel was a member of the Crown Conference with St. Joseph and several other Catholic high schools. I remember that they played Ursuline tough in an 8-8 tie at Rayen in '68. Yes, they had some glory years.

So many in Portage County.
Suffield, now Field after consolidation with Brimfield. Who by the way had no high school and students went to Kent State University High school!. Charlestown, Deerfield, Edinburg, Palmyra and Paris all consolidated to form Southeast. Originally the school was called: the school in the Southeast part of the county " until formally changed! The townships of Mantua, Shalersville, part of Hiram, Hiram and Mantua villages all formed Crestwood Local. Fact the name was the phone exchange CR4( Crestwood 4)! Freedom, Nelson, part of Hiram townships and village of Garrettsville formed J. A. Garfield.
Atwater and Randolph townships formed Waterloo Local( named after the highway connecting the 2 townships)!

Madison and Zane Trace,now Buckeye trail
Scio and Jewett,became Jewett scio which became Harrison central
Adena which became Buckeye West which became Buckeye Local along with Buckeye south all had other schools as well.
Flushing
Stanton local
Springfield Local
Freeport,Lakeland now Harrison central
Port Washington,Gnadenhutten,Midvale Tuscarawas became IV North and IV South now IV
Stone Creek
Dundee
Oh God. I shudder at the memories of the drives to Springfield and Stanton. Springfield's gym seemed smaller than most elementary schools.

Here's some of the schools Lexington played way way back in the day.

Iberia, Johnsville now Galion Northmor.
North Robinson, Leesville now Colonel Crawford.
Edison now part of Mount Gilead.
Bellville, Butler now Clear Fork.
Gambler now part of Mt.Vernon.
Adario, Weller Twp.,/Union Rural now part of Ashland Crestview .
Perrysville now part of Loudonville.
Nashville now part of West Holmes.
Tiro now part of Buckeye Central.
New Haven now part of Willard.
Elm Valley now part of Buckeye Valley.
Radnor.

Of course later on in the 60s, 70s, and 80s as mentioned before Mansfield Malabar. They were a huge rival of Lex.

Fairmont East
Fairmont West
Dayton Fairview
New Madison
Gettysburg
Piqua Catholic
Celina ICHS
Fairborn Park Hills
Miami Central
Dayton Roth
Belle Center

Since 1971 in Northwest Ohio:
Grover Hill (Wayne Trace)
Haviland Blue Creek (Wayne Trace)
Payne (Wayne Trace)
Oakwood (Paulding)
Celina ICHS
Wapkoneta St. Joseph
Toledo Spencer-Sharples
Mansfield Malabar
Mendon-Union (primarily Parkway)
Ohio City-Liberty (Van Wert)
Toledo DeVilbiss
Toledo Macomber
Toledo Libbey
Bettsville (Old Fort)
Fostoria St. Wendelin

Last edited:
Forest Park and Greenhills merged into Winton Woods. Seven Mile in Butler County. Glen Este and Amelia merged into West Clermont.
For a couple years in the mid-1950s there was Old Woodward and New Woodward for sports identifying purposes. The "Old" and "New"
were dropped when Taft was built to replace the former Old Woodward. Central Vocational became Courter Tech. That closed and became Cincinnati State junior college. Going back farther there was a Hartwell High and Ohio Mechanics Institute. Other than Athens High School there used to be a number of small schools in Athens County. One of the was The Plains. where the new Athens High School is. There was Shade, Rome-Canaan, Carthage-Troy, Ames-Berne. Buchtel-York, Chauncey-Dover, Jacksonville-Trimble and Glouster. Those names were generally a combination of a small town and a township. Some may have been reincarnated into just the town name. Corning and Shawnee-New Straitsville in Perry County are gone. Dayton Patterson and Wilbur Wright gone. Xenia Woodrow Wilson, an orphans' home for children of Ohio soldier and sailors, competed as a high school and won six state track championships between 1942 and 1958. Closed in 1997.
Wikipedia chimes in (but not complete) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_schools_in_Ohio

Last edited:
monroe; lanier; gratis; dixon; jackson; camden;; west alex; college corner;; verona; lewisburg; west elkton ; all preble county schools in the fifties
use to go to Richmond high school(Indiana) and watch the Preble County basketball tournament

Springfield North & South, Fairborn Baker & Park Hills, Fairmont East & West, Buckland, Dayton Kiser, Wilbur Wright, Stivers, Fairview, Roosevelt, Roth, Colonel White, Patterson, Jefferson, Delaware Olentangy, Warren Western Reserve, Toledo Libbey, Toledo Macomber, Toledo DeVillbiss, Bridgeport, Cridersville, Cleveland West Tech, Akron Kenmore, Akron Central-Hower, Akron West, Akron South, Canton Timken, Salem and Plymouth, as well as Wapakoneta St. Johns, just off the top of my head...

Last edited:
Ah yes memory lane, Akron South,Columbus Wehrle,Dennison St.Mary,Dover St Joseph,Guernsey Catholic,Hopedale High School,Youngstown Rayen,Dennison High School, Beach City High School,Navarre High School and a bunch more !