Canfield 2024, Coach Pavlansky retires.

I get that the Canfield fans would have liked to see a bigger name get the job. I personally think that this was not a bad hire. Coaches evolve and get better. Sometimes it just takes a mentor like coach Pav to bring out the best in a young coach. I have met coach Ignazio on a couple of occasions and he seems like a quality person. He did not light the record books up at Boardman but from what I understand he ran a relatively solid program. The only knock I have heard is that he let one his assistants have too much control, but they have parted ways now. I have no skin in this I am not a Canfield fan but from a distance it seems like there is a lot of unnecessary handwringing concerning this hire.

I get that the Canfield fans would have liked to see a bigger name get the job. I personally think that this was not a bad hire. Coaches evolve and get better. Sometimes it just takes a mentor like coach Pav to bring out the best in a young coach. I have met coach Ignazio on a couple of occasions and he seems like a quality person. He did not light the record books up at Boardman but from what I understand he ran a relatively solid program. The only knock I have heard is that he let one his assistants have too much control, but they have parted ways now. I have no skin in this I am not a Canfield fan but from a distance it seems like there is a lot of unnecessary handwringing concerning this hire.
I believe issue is there was a homerun available (Prologo). There also was another potential homerun (Baker), but it's unclear if he was ever in consideration.

I believe issue is there was a homerun available (Prologo). There also was another potential homerun (Baker), but it's unclear if he was ever in consideration.
I don't know the extent of the consideration but Sean was part of the discussion at one point. The other thing is the fact they created a position to pay Ignazio $100,000, at the same time the school is crying poor.

I don't know the extent of the consideration but Sean was part of the discussion at one point. The other thing is the fact they created a position to pay Ignazio $100,000, at the same time the school is crying poor.

This is just simply NOT true. Baker didn’t apply for the job. 🤣 And NO, they DID NOT create a $100k position for Ignazio. Just because you want it to be true, doesn’t mean it is.

This is just simply NOT true. Baker didn’t apply for the job. 🤣 And NO, they DID NOT create a $100k position for Ignazio. Just because you want it to be true, doesn’t mean it is.
They created a position for him to get supplemental income in addition to what he would get otherwise, he will get somewhere in the vicinity of or in excess of $100,000 from said position. I never said Sean applied, I do know that there was some discussion, and people approached him regarding the position.

Someone told me Baker is either an agent now, or getting into that sort of thing. Just what I heard recently.

Someone told me Baker is either an agent now, or getting into that sort of thing. Just what I heard recently.
I haven't talked to him in person in a few years. I last knew he was helping Frank Ross with Special Teams and consulting for the Texans in a remote role possibly.

I have no dawg in this agreement. But what I will say is, the way Pav, the AD , and superintendent handled this whole situation. Hiring a coach a week after Pav retired, but withholding it until this week is very unprecedented. So why did they even hold 3 rounds of interviews? If you look at the coaching stats between JI and Pro, it's not even comparable. Pro has been a successful coach every school he has been at. Not saying JI can't and won't do a good job at Canfield, just makes the program look terrible how it was handled. Within the next week, the truth will come out. There is text out there between Pav, JI, and the superintendent stating Pav did not want Pro as the next coach because he was worried Pro would do a better job than he did during his time with the cards. When the time is right, those will be released. Instead of the superintendent and board members making the right choice they listen to a man who has zero say in canfield football anymore. #GoUrsline
Congratulations!!

On a thread which has spiraled out of control in so many different directions, you managed to post the most absurd, asinine statement of them all, perhaps in the history of Yappi.

You immediately lose any and all credibility with such a foolish statement. Your attempt to drag Coach Pavlansky down to your level is ignorant and childish. Unfortunately for you and your agenda, NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN OR AROUND CANFIELD BELIEVE THIS STATEMENT. NOT FOR A SECOND!!!

Regardless of anyone's feelings about this hire (personally, I was 100 percent hoping Coach Prologo would get the job), NOT A SINGLE SOUL is buying your rhetoric.

From Paragraph 10:

In the first round of the 2020 postseason, the Spartans defeated Cuyahoga Falls 49-0, earning the school's first home playoff victory in more than a century.

Wut? :)

I'm curious what postseason tournament Boardman entered before 1972. Just another example of the decline in local sports reporting in this area over the last 20 years.
Also funny because I don’t believe the home (non-neutral) playoff games started until the late 90’s when they expanded the field to 8 per region.

I do know coach has met with the team, off-season lifting/conditioning has been going on and will continue. I’d imagine the staff will pretty much stay intact, hopefully all additions will be completed soon.

I know the boys are very excited and working hard, they've continued offseason lifting and speed training. While everyone may have not loved this hire I will say the transition is going smoothly and I expect this young Cards team will work hard and have a pretty good 1st yr under coach Ignazio. This season will springboard the program into the future.

I know the boys are very excited and working hard, they've continued offseason lifting and speed training. While everyone may have not loved this hire I will say the transition is going smoothly and I expect this young Cards team will work hard and have a pretty good 1st yr under coach Ignazio. This season will springboard the program into the future.
I think it's obvious that this was the whole point in hiring someone from previous staff to keep most of those guys around for the transition to go smoothly. Hard to imagine Canfield ever struggling with the base of kids they have.

I think it's obvious that this was the whole point in hiring someone from previous staff to keep most of those guys around for the transition to go smoothly. Hard to imagine Canfield ever struggling with the base of kids they have.
Yes. Lots and lots of talent. Too much $$$ spent for a safe hire though. Maybe Pav and coach will cover team dinners or find a sucker business from outside the district to provide it.

That’s all well and good, but that’s what most teams are doing as well in the weight room

Has the staff been completed yet? I’ve seen people on here talking about it, but no one has confirmed if there will be or has been any additions?

I think players more often than not make the coach. The coach can certainly mess things up, but it’s the guys on the field that are the true deciders. Was Bayuk a better coach this year or did Struthers have better players? Has Huffman fallen off or was LJ Scott a difference maker? Was Pav past his prime or was Lowry special?

Boardman was not Xs and Os ridiculous or culturally toxic under Ignazio. So I don’t think his record at Boardman is a great measure. How many true difference makers did Boardman have during his tenure as head coach?

Last edited:
I think players more often than not make the coach. The coach can certainly mess things up, but it’s the guys on the field that are the true deciders. Was Bayuk a better coach this year or did Struthers have better players? Has Huffman fallen off or was LJ Scott a difference maker? Was Pav past his prime or was Lowry special?

Boardman was not Xs and Os ridiculous or culturally toxic under Ignazio. So I don’t think his record at Boardman is a great measure. How many true difference makers did Boardman have during his tenure as head coach?
I don’t think boardman had bad players, they had multiple D1 athletes when he was there I’m pretty sure

I can honestly say Boardman had better players than Canfield most years and Boardman lost because of Ignazio and his extremely poor coaching, play calling and decision making/discernment or lack thereof. Boardman had plenty of talent, but the sole reason for their poor record and lack of success was awful coaches like Ignazio.

I ran into some players who shall remain nameless and what they said to me is he is a very nice guy, but just being a nice guy doesn't make up for all of his short comings as a coach. The players named several other guys they would have preferred to Ignazio. A few kids who are currently in 7th and 8th grade also said they may go to Ursuline or another private/parochial school as a result, but they are still evaluating their options.