The Massillon Effect

Totally agree. It's a VERY small percentage of our fan base that are complete a-holes but we have them. He!!, everybody does. We lost a playoff game to Willoughby South at the Rubber Bowl one year. A complete douche-bag of a Massillon fan got into a fight with my best friend; a former Massillon player.

My final thought is that it's a good thing most of you weren't around in the old days when we had to travel to play the river rats in Steubenville. We feared for our lives leaving that place.
…..

I don't think anybody is saying what Ginn does for the kids is bad. What people don't like is the CB claim of zero. When everybody knows that is a sham.
That’s an OHSAA thing not a Ginn thing. And Ted wishes he could be up in the division(s) Glenville used to be in. Even if OHSAA would correctly count the CB re: male students at Ginn Academy, that would only take us to D3. Unless OHSAA implements a petition process Glenville will be in D4 or D3. OHSAA is ALWAYS light years behind other state associations so I wouldn’t count on it.

Last edited:
That's the way I see it. Schools don't assign their own numbers. Blame OHSAA not Glenville.

Is there a kid, or a few kids, who moved to an address in order to skirt sitting out after 5 weeks? Possibly. Who knows. Do I care? Nope. Dumb rule anyhow.
This. Same way I feel about your Tigers, do I believe families uprooted and moved from Beachwood and Copley to Massillon, not necessarily. But it’s not my business and it shouldn’t be OHSAA’s business, a parent’s job among many others is to put their kid’s in the best situation to succeed. Playing football at Glenville and Massillon, etc. puts young men in position to succeed on and off of the field. Glenville football graduates 15 seniors going to play football at the next level on a full scholarship or a fin aid package and I know Massillon has a nice number doing the same thing. That’s what this is all about, kudos and salute to both Coach Ginn and Moore. Now if only they could line up a Friday night game!

Last edited:
The stompers program is now firmly entrenched in the gutter and looks like they’ll stay there for the foreseeable future. Thanks to them for sending over a big lineman recently lol
I received pm's defending and celebrating the stompers actions. One from a fan of the school the stomper attended and one from a Jackson fan.

For one, I’ve never minimized Coach Ginn’s accomplishments, motives or his coaching ability. I only questioned the zero CB number. No, he shouldn’t give up and he should continue being a mentor and inspiration for young people. He is a very good man and a legend. Nice try though!
Apologies if I confused you with another member of the big red fan base. It’s a long season and it was a while ago. I’m sure you know who I’m referring to but he definitely was less kind about Ginn

This. Same way I feel about your Tigers, do I believe families uprooted and moved from Beachwood and Copley to Massillon, not necessarily. But it’s not my business and it shouldn’t be OHSAA’s business, a parent’s job among many others is to put their kid’s in the best situation to succeed. Playing football at Glenville and Massillon, etc. puts young men in position to succeed on and off of the field. Glenville football graduates 15 seniors going to play football at the next level on a full scholarship or a fin aid package and I know Massillon has a nice number doing the same thing. That’s what this is all about, kudos and salute to both Coach Ginn and Moore. Now if only they could line up a Friday night game!
Getting Massillon and Glenville kids money off their higher education should be praised. Period. Dont care how its done. When I saw how people talked about DaOne it gave me deja vu and it was a no brainer decision.

Sidenote but Slippery Rock a good landing spot. Good program with a nice offense. I stil think he ends up FBS at some point

Getting Massillon and Glenville kids money off their higher education should be praised. Period. Dont care how its done. When I saw how people talked about DaOne it gave me deja vu and it was a no brainer decision.

Sidenote but Slippery Rock a good landing spot. Good program with a nice offense. I stil think he ends up FBS at some point
Yeah I believe he’s going there because they’re giving him the chance to play qb while the bigger schools wanted him at RB or on defense

Yeah I believe he’s going there because they’re giving him the chance to play qb while the bigger schools wanted him at RB or on defense
God bless him on his endeavors. I honestly think he would be a great RB/AtH type player but if his heart is in playing QB like I said thats a really good spot to start at and see what happens. Im a Kent state alum wish we wouldve just given him a look.

God bless him on his endeavors. I honestly think he would be a great RB/AtH type player but if his heart is in playing QB like I said thats a really good spot to start at and see what happens. Im a Kent state alum wish we wouldve just given him a look.
I agree he would be a stud RB if he were to go that route

His brother plays RB and looks like the real deal

Agreed on all points.

Rich Kotite nailed it perfectly in his post, the media is responsible for the majority of the hate and animosity that NE Ohio has for Massillon. In the 80’s and 90’s and before the only place anyone got any local sports news is from the hacks that called themselves writers. They had an agenda and they used it to sell papers.
Massillon fans are responsible for the hate and animosity toward Massillon.

The problem with this banner (and thought process in general) is it's only true if you never leave stark county, And that's unfortunately reality for most of the citizens of stark county. Most people who you meet outside of the stark county bubble aren't against Massillon. If they've actually heard of Massillon, it's quite the opposite actually. They're interested in talking to you about Massillon. They're not against Massillon. It's a myopic view and used just to motivate yourself. No one really cares about Massillon outside of the area, and those that do aren't against Massillon.
ACTUALLY, I'm an outsider who actually cares to find out both sides of the coin, regarding the Tigers. In 2002, I was in the general vicinity on vacation. (Wash. D.C.) And I had heard on the national prep website at the time. That IGGY would be playing Erie Cathedral Prep in Parma, the next week. And I decided to trek to Ohio from Fredrick, MD. to see what's what with two teams ranked in the USA TODAY Top Twenty Five. ANYWHO, I looked on the map as I was trekking back to the SOUTH of the North. And I happened to see that Massillon was sorta on the way South to Volnessea. Long story short, I arrived in Massillon on a Saturday afternoon. And stopped in a convenience store to ask directions to Paul Brown Tiga Stadium. This elderly gent overheard me and asked quite frankly. WHAT'S going on at the stadium he asks? I told him that I was a fan of my high school's archrivals, the Valdosta Wildcats. And I thought that I had told him that he'd hit the lottery. ANYWHO, after discovering that I just wanted to see the stadium, he said FOLLOW ME, I'll lead you to where you need to be going. And it was several miles. And upon arrival, he gave me the tour of the facilities. And he told me a capsule rendition of Tiga lore, and their 3,000 nattys. Nice gent I must say. And he LUUUUVED him some TIGAS!

Last edited:
Yea, because Massillon is the only school that has bad apples as fans. 🙄
WELL sir, I profess to be the WORST apple of MY high school. I nearly got placed in detention, two WEEKS before graduation. Course, I SHOULDA kicked that clown's butt four years earlier. I saw him a coupla years ago, and he still walks on the opposite side of the county when he sees me. I guess that he don't want another bad hair day.

The whole everyone hates us. It’s us against everyone else. It’s kinda the definition of it.
GEORGIA ain't a hata! We extend the welcome mat to Massillon or anyone ELSE in the Buckeyed State. Who could possibly get permission from your association, to trek SOUTH of the North to party with us poor lil dirt farmers in the Peach State. It's only FAIR, since we've been to YOUR state, four times already.

GEORGIA ain't a hata! We extend the welcome mat to Massillon or anyone ELSE in the Buckeyed State. Who could possibly get permission from your association, to trek SOUTH of the North to party with us poor lil dirt farmers in the Peach State. It's only FAIR, since we've been to YOUR state, four times already.
This is completely false. I run a camp in Myrtle Beach every year, I invite talented 8th graders because we want best on best. Some coach from Marietta made a hissy fit and tattled on us for "recruiting" GA kids to Ohio. The way I see it, we were 3 steps ahead and his feelings were hurt.

The problem with this banner (and thought process in general) is it's only true if you never leave stark county, And that's unfortunately reality for most of the citizens of stark county. Most people who you meet outside of the stark county bubble aren't against Massillon. If they've actually heard of Massillon, it's quite the opposite actually. They're interested in talking to you about Massillon. They're not against Massillon. It's a myopic view and used just to motivate yourself. No one really cares about Massillon outside of the area, and those that do aren't against Massillon.
AGREED, AND THAT'S WHY (IMHO) "THE GAME" HAS MORPHED INTO "A GAME".
A GAME THAT IS EXTREMELY IMPROTANT TO CANTON AND MASSILLONTIGERS FANS.
BUT "THE GAME" IS NOW MASSILLONTIGERS-EDS, MASSILLONTIGERS-PICK A TEAM.
AND OF COURSE SOME OF THE PLAYOFF GAMES HOBAN, WINTON WOODS, AVON.
THEY ARE ALL FUN AND MASSILLONTIGERS ARE ALWAYS UP FOR A "W", BUT TIMES
HAVE CHANGED AND THE MASSILLONTIGER-PUP GAME HAS LOST A BIT OF ITS LUSTER
OUTSIDE OF STARK COUNTY. IN STARK COUNTY IT'S STILL A BIGGIE.

Last edited:
Glenville puts young men in position to succeed on and off of the field. Glenville football graduates 15 seniors going to play football at the next level on a full scholarship or a fin aid package.
Ginn Academy, not GHS. The 18 boys that graduated from Glenville High School in 2023 didn't have any offers. I'd imagine that for the third year in a row, GHS will graduate less than 20 boys in the class of 2024, and 12–16 Ginn Academy Football graduates will have offers to play at the next level.

There were nearly 40 senior boys combined at the two schools in 22-23, and almost half of them were able to play football at the next level. That's impressive.

Ginn Academy, not GHS. The 18 boys that graduated from Glenville High School in 2023 didn't have any offers. I'd imagine that for the third year in a row, GHS will graduate less than 20 boys in the class of 2024, and 12–16 Ginn Academy Football graduates will have offers to play at the next level.

There were nearly 40 senior boys combined at the two schools in 22-23, and almost half of them were able to play football at the next level. That's impressive.
They play football for Glenville. And it’s very impressive, thank you. A lot of hard work but it’s awesome to see it pay off.

Because you're not affiliated with Massillon so you don't know how we feel or we get treated so you have no right to sit there and say everybody hates us is not true. Everybody in this county don't like Massillon and that's fine but when our kids speak about it you can't call them out and say they're wrong for feeling that it's them verse the world.

Because you're not affiliated with Massillon so you don't know how we feel or we get treated so you have no right to sit there and say everybody hates us is not true. Everybody in this county don't like Massillon and that's fine but when our kids speak about it you can't call them out and say they're wrong for feeling that it's them verse the world.
And I'm "part of the problem" b/c I don't agree with a cliche, overused saying lol. And you don't see how you're being sooooo dramatic, even right now? Maybe you need to realize you're part of Massillon's problem? Not everyone's out to get Massillon dude. Including me.

I was at a regional final game against Wadsworth in 2018 and Massillon had so much class that their principal was ejected from the game for arguing with the officials in a game Massillon had in hand. Stuff like that is why they have the reputation they have.