2024 Toledo Central Catholic Football

Replacing the OL will be tough but it looks like they have a decent stable of replacements all in the 250lb+ range. And they got some decent playing time last year due to some of the blowouts. As for QB, I had heard it would likely be Fox.
I'm curious if the freshman QB who saw limited snaps on varsity will contend for the starting position.

Victor Singleton received his 8th D1 offer today from Pittsburgh. He is only a sophomore.

Im wondering too. He looks pretty decent. Maybe go with the senior but get the sophomore some quality playing time as well to get him ready for jumior and senior year.
Obviously there's plenty of talent back, but that battle is the central question (lol) of the offseason. Would go a long way towards clarifying what the offense will look like. I would assume with the senior it looks a lot like last season, with the sophomore, I would guess they run him less but can do a little more traditional quick game and dropback stuff.

After living in Canton for almost 30 years, I finally got my wish to see my alma mater play a game in Canton last year, and again this year. Playing Massillon would've been icing on the cake. I honestly think Central could've beaten the Tigers in 2022 and '23.
Them’s fightin’ words! I believe Avon would have beat them with a healthy QB as well, but there is no way to know and they do not agree with that opinion, obviously. They have the trophy, so that’s all that really matters.

After living in Canton for almost 30 years, I finally got my wish to see my alma mater play a game in Canton last year, and again this year. Playing Massillon would've been icing on the cake. I honestly think Central could've beaten the Tigers in 2022 and '23.
They definitely could have. That's what makes for great football: having great programs play each other in big games. Hopefully they will get a chance in the next couple of years.

They definitely could have. That's what makes for great football: having great programs play each other in big games. Hopefully they will get a chance in the next couple of years.

Could have beat Hoban and St. Ed too but we'll never know. We do know Massillon did though. TCC should actually schedule St. Ed you both could use it. Or Hoban. Hoban already plays St. Ed though so idk if they'd want both of you. I'd rather play St. Ed than Hoban since we are so likely to face them in the playoffs every year. (Though I really thought it was Avon's year to finally beat them, before the injury).

Could have beat Hoban and St. Ed too but we'll never know. We do know Massillon did though. TCC should actually schedule St. Ed you both could use it. Or Hoban. Hoban already plays St. Ed though so idk if they'd want both of you. I'd rather play St. Ed than Hoban since we are so likely to face them in the playoffs every year. (Though I really thought it was Avon's year to finally beat them, before the injury).
TCC and Ed’s opened the season versus each other in 2021 and 2022, so they are not averse to facing each other. I’m sure Avon would be open to scheduling TCC if they remain in D3, but since the might bump up to D2 again it is unlikely to happen, since they would likely be back together in R6…where they both belong, IMO. Of course TCC vs Massillon would be great! I’m still hoping Avon and Massillon can get a home and home, of course. TCC vs Belleville, MI would be another good one.

TCC and Ed’s opened the season versus each other in 2021 and 2022, so they are not averse to facing each other. I’m sure Avon would be open to scheduling TCC if they remain in D3, but since the might bump up to D2 again it is unlikely to happen, since they would likely be back together in R6…where they both belong, IMO. Of course TCC vs Massillon would be great! I’m still hoping Avon and Massillon can get a home and home, of course. TCC vs Belleville, MI would be another good one.

Duh, how could I forget, thank you. (Massillon fared better against Ed both years btw). :)

Agreed on Avon & Massillon. Good luck next season.

A couple more commits from the departing senior starters. As far as I know, 4 starters are going to D1 schools, 5 are going to D2 schools, and 2 are going to D3 schools.

Here is my way too early thoughts on starting lineups for 2024. I'm not a coach or at practices, so this is purely speculation based on what little I do know and remembering from last year. I'm sure it will change, but here is a potential starting lineup:

1708449287365.png

This potential OL averages 6'3" and 275lbs (slightly smaller than last years).

1708449311885.png

This year's DL may be a bit small; unless Dempsey shuffles some guys around. This potential lineup averages 6'0" and 238lbs. Last year's averaged 6'1" 280lbs. I'm sure the guys will add bulk and strength over the summer. Plus, Dempsey has used OL and DL guys on both sides of the ball.

I am curious about who the second RB will be. And I am curious about the current freshman QB. I can maybe even see a 2 QB system.

Purely speculative at this point.

Last edited:
I am curious about who the second RB will be. And I am curious about the current freshman QB. I can maybe even see a 2 QB system.
D'Angelo Lyons will be RB2. Literally a second Tyler Morgan.

Unless Fox severely underperforms, he will be the starter for most of it. I don't think Bedouyn will see the field next year (with the exception of garbage time).

D'Angelo Lyons will be RB2. Literally a second Tyler Morgan.

Unless Fox severely underperforms, he will be the starter for most of it. I don't think Bedouyn will see the field next year (with the exception of garbage time).
Lyons seemed small. But Im sure he will add bulk and strength.

Beydoun is interesting. Ive seen some of his posts on Twitter and he looks really advanced for a freshman. As a sidenote, when the time comes, he will be the first Muslim varsity QB at Central. Not that it matters, but I thought that was interesting.

Their enrollment isn't but their talent is.
It's because St Francis and St Johns have declined quite a bit in the last 15 years. Combine that with TPS struggles and you've got one option for football players, and that's the place on Cherry St. I'd love to see things get a bit more competitive, but the other two parochials need to step it up, heck SFS was last in Region 6 last season

It's because St Francis and St Johns have declined quite a bit in the last 15 years. Combine that with TPS struggles and you've got one option for football players, and that's the place on Cherry St. I'd love to see things get a bit more competitive, but the other two parochials need to step it up, heck SFS was last in Region 6 last season

Wow, yeah thanks that makes sense. I fully remember when St. Francis and St. Johns were both good. Very good in fact.

Wow, yeah thanks that makes sense. I fully remember when St. Francis and St. Johns were both good. Very good in fact.
It's been a number of factors.

1. Dempsey is a good coach that has had success. Success begets success. St. Francis has had coaching instability since Cromwell left.
  2. Ed Choice has allowed kids to have mobility to go wherever they want. Kids have seen the success that Central has had in winning games and sending kinds to play at the next level (12 seniors off the 2023 team alone).
  3. Fewer kids are playing football.
    1. The kids that were team fillers, like I was, aren't as likely to play football anymore. That means a lack of depth across leagues. The good players on a team with no depth will likely depart to a better program where there are other good players.
    2. Kids have so many more choices nowadays. Kids that used to play football may now be playing lacrosse, soccer, or, unfortunately, video games.
  4. CYO football in Toledo is no more. The feeder programs for the Catholic high schools have had to be replaced. Both SJJ and SFS have Junior Academy teams, but they've had to reinvent how they get kids. Central started getting kids from the Stars League and the Mid City League 10+ years ago.
  5. Metro Toledo's population has been stagnant. The City of Toledo's population has declined from 383,000 in 1970 to 270,000 in 2020. However, the metro population has remained static from 644,000 in 1970 to 643,000 in 2020. The population hasn't really declined. Instead it has moved to the suburbs and outer areas. Many CCHS, SJJ, and SFS alums now live in Anthony Wayne or Perrysburg districts and send their kids there.
I'm sure there are some other reasons, but these 5 are a big part of the rise of Central, the rise of Anthony Wayne and Perrysburg, the stagnation of SJJ and SFS, and the severe decline of the City League.

Their enrollment isn't but their talent is.
Because they use taxpayer funded vouchers as athletic scholarships. Plain and simple the #1 answer. And I would argue, relatively speaking, their talent has remained strong. They had teams in 2012 and 2014 that were more talented, with guys going to Notre Dame, Duke, Cincinnati, Michigan, Louisville, etc., but the state as whole was better then too.
This is mostly BS. Both SF and SJ still rely somewhat on tuition paying kids who play their country club sports (golf, swimming, tennis, CC). They are on the decline as is pointed out but have to be careful about allowing in too many freebees and pizzing off the people who still pay full boat. There is a tipping point that CC was willing to pass years ago.
It's been a number of factors.

1. Dempsey is a good coach that has had success. Success begets success. St. Francis has had coaching instability since Cromwell left.
  2. Ed Choice has allowed kids to have mobility to go wherever they want. Kids have seen the success that Central has had in winning games and sending kinds to play at the next level (12 seniors off the 2023 team alone).
  3. Fewer kids are playing football.
    1. The kids that were team fillers, like I was, aren't as likely to play football anymore. That means a lack of depth across leagues. The good players on a team with no depth will likely depart to a better program where there are other good players.
    2. Kids have so many more choices nowadays. Kids that used to play football may now be playing lacrosse, soccer, or, unfortunately, video games.
  4. CYO football in Toledo is no more. The feeder programs for the Catholic high schools have had to be replaced. Both SJJ and SFS have Junior Academy teams, but they've had to reinvent how they get kids. Central started getting kids from the Stars League and the Mid City League 10+ years ago.
  5. Metro Toledo's population has been stagnant. The City of Toledo's population has declined from 383,000 in 1970 to 270,000 in 2020. However, the metro population has remained static from 644,000 in 1970 to 643,000 in 2020. The population hasn't really declined. Instead it has moved to the suburbs and outer areas. Many CCHS, SJJ, and SFS alums now live in Anthony Wayne or Perrysburg districts and send their kids there.
I'm sure there are some other reasons, but these 5 are a big part of the rise of Central, the rise of Anthony Wayne and Perrysburg, the stagnation of SJJ and SFS, and the severe decline of the City League.
This is pretty spot on but still underplays the degree in which CC uses taxpayer funded athletic scholarships. Kids can go where they want as long as they can produce on the field. As Toledo and Central both dwindle in population it is not getting any easier either. Since the taxpayer voucher only covers a portion (roughly 3/4 for most schools) of what it costs per kid, and since the cost per pupil rises as their population declines, all resources are being thrown toward football. Ten year ago CC had a decent wrestling team and today it is a shell of its former self. Basketball is experiencing the same demise. Their band might have 15 people but their football has some incredible talent to the point it is a giant outlier amongst DIV teams (where CC would be without CB). That does not happen by mistake and certainly is not organic.

Well it would defy logic to deny that they (admin) are intently and primarily focused on the football program. Not saying it’s a bad thing just is.

Well it would defy logic to deny that they (admin) are intently and primarily focused on the football program. Not saying it’s a bad thing just is.
To be honest, no. The admin goes after all kids. I personally know the Head of School and the Principal and many others. The football team under Dempsey has brought a lot of good PR.

But they do a lot of other things. For example, 1/3 of the Diocesan seminarians are CCHS grads.

I will say that the football team gets probably the lion share of the athletic resources. But they dont focus on getting a certain number of players or whatever.

Basketball has done well, especially girls. Track and field do well. The Irish Dance Team (IDT) routinely wins state championships.

Some programs struggle a little and some struggle mightily. Girls soccer has had some decent teams but struggles overall. The marching band is terrible and needs resurrected.

Last edited: