The Massillon Effect

48-8…….85.7%
THE Massillon EFFECT !!!
Honestly, it is. Is there another school in the country that plays their similarly sized neighboring schools less than Massillon? Massillon is going into its 124th season I believe. To have only played those schools 56 times since the sixties when the Fed was created (I am assuming that is how you are getting the record since you took Mckinley out of the equation, and it only dropped 23 games) is a ridiculously low number. Does that number include playoffs where the Fed teams were forced to play Massillon?

Honestly, it is. Is there another school in the country that plays their similarly sized neighboring schools less than Massillon? Massillon is going into its 124th season I believe. To have only played those schools 56 times since the sixties when the Fed was created (I am assuming that is how you are getting the record since you took Mckinley out of the equation, and it only dropped 23 games) is a ridiculously low number. Does that number include playoffs where the Fed teams were forced to play Massillon?
Yes, playoff games are included.

To make matters even worse for their, or...."there" for some people, case....Massillon never played a Fed team until 1978.

A friend mentioned to me today too that, in the county....Massillon does all the heavy lifting. Massillon has scheduled Moeller, Ignatius, St. Ed, Elder, Mentor etc. I remember my pal Todd Porter doing a piece in his Sunday special about someone, I can't remember who it was....wanting to schedule Hoover and Hoover said no, Porter mentioned that Massillon should step up and schedule them.

Heck, if Massillon dodged all the big boys like the rest of the county we wouldn't be chasing Valdosta, we'd be #1 in that category.

I have somewhat of a different perspective than most on here. Being that I grew up in Massillon, and currently live in Massillon, but went to Catholic schools and not Massillon city schools. And being that my parents and all of my extended family went to Massillon, I root for Massillon's success. Growing up going to Massillon games will do that for you.
But my perspective has seen both sides of the coin. I've seen the irrational hate for Massillon from surrounding communities. A lot of times they can't give you a good reason why they hate Massillon. A lot of times it's just "i just don't like them". A lot of times it's simply b/c their family and friends don't like Massillon... so tribal mentality. But I've also experienced the downside of Massillonians that give people a real reason to not like Massillon. There is some real delusion that just b/c you went to Massillon that you inherently understand football better, and no one could possibly understand football like you b/c you played for a "lesser school". There's a lot of people that actively believe football was invented in Massillon. Even in this day and age of google.. they still believe this. They believe it is the center of the football universe and no one else can comprehend football like them b/c it's somehow in their DNA. These same people will attack you for pointing out these flaws and accuse you of hating Massillon when they know damn well you support Massillon. These people give good cause to not like Massillon football. They also play victim and pretend it's Massillon vs the world, when they egg on the antagonization against "the world".

So two me.... much like everything else in life.... it's a 2 sided coin. There's irrational hate for Massillon... but some Massillonians are delusional themselves and feed the irrationality.
Well put and much like Osu, a big fan base comes with more obnoxious fans. I have no bad blood against Massillon. Do they have some weirdos? Yeah, sure. Tbh the only school I don’t care for in stark county is Perry. But this is a football thread not wrestling so I’ll keep my comments to myself.

Last edited:
Come on you guys. This is why people leave this Forum. Grow up.
stripes lighten GIF

If someone leaves this forum because of this thread they are a prissy snowflake....

Maybe its a real thing but Yappi is just full of losers even Marion Stein Local has haters on here lol
I am not sure MSML has "haters" on here. I just think that some posters on here call out the posters that make outlandish claims about MSML's ability to hang with the upper echelon of teams. Nothing but respect for the Flyers and their program.

I am not sure MSML has "haters" on here. I just think that some posters on here call out the posters that make outlandish claims about MSML's ability to hang with the upper echelon of teams. Nothing but respect for the Flyers and their program.
If you were to check the posters that make these outlandish claims are almost never Marion "locals". Much more likely fans of other teams who were feeling pretty good about their team which ran into MLMS in the play offs, then trying to rationalize the results.

On the other hand I do seem to recall multiple occasions that posts discussing the MAC's success where some Massillon fans felt it necessary to inject their opinion that Pee Wee division football doesn't really count.

Last edited:
If you were to check the posters that make these outlandish claims are almost never Marion "locals". Much more likely fans of other teams who were feeling pretty good about their team which ran into MLMS in the play offs, then trying to rationalize the results.

On the other hand I do seem to recall multiple occasions that posts discussing the MAC's success where some Massillon fans felt it necessary to inject their opinion that Pee Wee division football doesn't really count.
Everyone has their own opinions, but MSML absolutely could NOT compete with the top 10-15 programs in the state of Ohio. In my opinion. That does not make me a MSML hater by any means. I have the utmost respect for that programs success and admire them for it. But, it is D6/7. Big difference between that level and D1/2.

A great football program is just another “point of pride” for a community. It doesn’t mean it’s a be all end all situation. You can have multiple points of pride. Massillon is a community that takes great pride in supporting their football program specifically and the school system in general. Massillon is a better community because of its football notoriety. To bash them because they put more effort and money towards activities that help young people screams of envy. Most all communities “identify with” something that they are proud of and use it as a way to promote their town. What’s the difference if it’s apple pies or a great football program. Being rabid and passionate about something is the difference between mediocre and great.
So it's a positive to put money and effort into activities that help young people in a community setting but when Ginn does it it's bad because the community at large is beyond salvageable? Should he just give up or continue to help 6th graders through HS and beyond?

So it's a positive to put money and effort into activities that help young people in a community setting but when Ginn does it it's bad because the community at large is beyond salvageable? Should he just give up or continue to help 6th graders through HS and beyond?
I don't think anybody is saying what Ginn does for the kids is bad. What people don't like is the CB claim of zero. When everybody knows that is a sham.

For one, I’ve never minimized Coach Ginn’s accomplishments, motives or his coaching ability. I only questioned the zero CB number. No, he shouldn’t give up and he should continue being a mentor and inspiration for young people. He is a very good man and a legend. Nice try though!

I admire Massillon's traditions and history, and root for them more times than not. The first year that Green played football, Massillon gave us some of their old jerseys, which is why Green's colors are orange and black (and not, you know, green). Actually, there was an effort at one time to change the school colors to green, but it was met with fierce resistance and went nowhere. When I was there, I never heard a negative word about Massillon.

However, many current Green students, parents, and fans now strongly dislike Massillon. During the 2021 football playoffs, Green provided several buses for students so that they could attend the game against Massillon at Mansfield and not have to drive themselves. After the game, which Green won, probably somewhere between 100-200 Green students were waiting in the stadium parking lot to get onto the buses to go back to GHS, and there were some angry Massillon fans who harassed the Green students, many of whom were 14-15 years old and couldn't go anywhere. It was a very tense situation.

I know it was a minority of Massillon fans who behaved poorly that night, and don't hold it against the community as a whole. I still rooted for them to beat Hoban in the title game this year. But there seems to be a higher percentage of clowns in the Massillon fanbase who are arrogant and rude and misbehave at games, a reputation that other extremely successful programs do not have, at least not to the same degree.
That's wrong the Massillon fans should not have behaved in that manner but now you get a glimpse of what our kids go through every day. I obviously want to say two wrongs don't make a right but our kids are harassed and picked on just because of the school that they represent and it's not fair so it has to go both ways not saying that Green started picking on Massillon but it has been happening for years and like I've stayed at multiple times on this site it even happens at the youth level and it's not right I think it's bs but at some point somebody got to be the bigger person and stop it because you got to see where our fans is coming from our kids get arrest all the time so they turn around and do the same thing it's BS on both sides but it comes with the territory I guess. I feel like some people are too passionate about high school sports and we forget that these are kids on both sides no matter what school you go to these are children and you might not fully support them because you want your team to win but you should respect them no matter what Jersey they wear no matter what color they represent you should respect them because that is somebody's child at the end of the day

That's wrong the Massillon fans should not have behaved in that manner but now you get a glimpse of what our kids go through every day. I obviously want to say two wrongs don't make a right but our kids are harassed and picked on just because of the school that they represent and it's not fair so it has to go both ways not saying that Green started picking on Massillon but it has been happening for years and like I've stayed at multiple times on this site it even happens at the youth level and it's not right I think it's bs but at some point somebody got to be the bigger person and stop it because you got to see where our fans is coming from our kids get arrest all the time so they turn around and do the same thing it's BS on both sides but it comes with the territory I guess. I feel like some people are too passionate about high school sports and we forget that these are kids on both sides no matter what school you go to these are children and you might not fully support them because you want your team to win but you should respect them no matter what Jersey they wear no matter what color they represent you should respect them because that is somebody's child at the end of the day
Totally agree. It's a VERY small percentage of our fan base that are complete a-holes but we have them. He!!, everybody does. We lost a playoff game to Willoughby South at the Rubber Bowl one year. A complete douche-bag of a Massillon fan got into a fight with my best friend; a former Massillon player.

My final thought is that it's a good thing most of you weren't around in the old days when we had to travel to play the river rats in Steubenville. We feared for our lives leaving that place.

Totally agree. It's a VERY small percentage of our fan base that are complete a-holes but we have them. He!!, everybody does. We lost a playoff game to Willoughby South at the Rubber Bowl one year. A complete douche-bag of a Massillon fan got into a fight with my best friend; a former Massillon player.

My final thought is that it's a good thing most of you weren't around in the old days when we had to travel to play the river rats in Steubenville. We feared for our lives leaving that place.

Of course. There have been more incidents at FL games between FL schools than FL vs. Massillon including @PBTS, but that's not the narrative they like to portray.

Not to belabor but they had players ejected for throwing punches at ours, coaches flipping the bird, refusing to shake hands, and last game we had a kid get his knee stomped on the dirtiest play I've seen in a long time. But it's all good, we'll play.
The stompers program is now firmly entrenched in the gutter and looks like they’ll stay there for the foreseeable future. Thanks to them for sending over a big lineman recently lol