OHSWCA State Duals Press Release

https://www.nightwineproductions.net/

will be at Rootstown on Feb 3rd providing a live broadcast of the 2024 D3 State duals. Looks like it will be:

Bottom Bracket (#2 Seed-5 teams):
Round #1: Match One: Seed #7 vs. Seed #10
Round #2:
Match Two: Winner of Match One (#7/#10) vs. Seed #2
Match Three: Seed #3 vs. Seed #6
Round #3:
Match Four: Winners of Match Two vs. Match Three
Match Five: Loser Match One vs. Loser Match Three

Seeds as I see them at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uQ12BuLZSTu-mIlsT-pXxwqYiE/edit#gid=317666118

#2 Rootstown
#3 Perry
#6 Tuslaw
#7 Cleveland CC
#10 Jackson-Milton

I think they need to change the way the teams are picked. Using last years data just doesn't work in my opinion. They don't have the top 10 teams in the region that should be there. For example, Fairmont and Colerain which are the 10th and 8th seed have both been beaten this year by a team that isn't in the top 10. Fairmont was beaten by this team just 2 days ago 51 to 21. They need to wait till the week before then choose the teams. This way you have the best teams.

Does anybody know if Harrison will have their full lineup on Saturday, as they had two key starters out this past weekend.

https://www.nightwineproductions.net/

will be at Rootstown on Feb 3rd providing a live broadcast of the 2024 D3 State duals. Looks like it will be:

Bottom Bracket (#2 Seed-5 teams):
Round #1: Match One: Seed #7 vs. Seed #10
Round #2:
Match Two: Winner of Match One (#7/#10) vs. Seed #2
Match Three: Seed #3 vs. Seed #6
Round #3:
Match Four: Winners of Match Two vs. Match Three
Match Five: Loser Match One vs. Loser Match Three

Seeds as I see them at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uQ12BuLZSTu-mIlsT-pXxwqYiE/edit#gid=317666118

#2 Rootstown
#3 Perry
#6 Tuslaw
#7 Cleveland CC
#10 Jackson-Milton
https://www.baumspage.com/wr/ohswca/dist/3/site1/2023/2024 Bracket.pdf

Bracket has changed with the seed meeting:

#2 Rootstown
#3 Perry
#6 Crestwood
#7 South Range
#10 Cleveland CC

Simply need to limit the number of teams eligible (top 8) and go back to one day event like the old days at Wadsworth. Unlike other sports the lower seeds have zero chance until you get to the final 8. Even then in D1 it is a battle for second between Perrysburg and Massillon Perry. Don't think Coffman or Brecksville could beat Perrysburg (I haven't gone thru weight by weight matchups).

Simply need to limit the number of teams eligible (top 8) and go back to one day event like the old days at Wadsworth. Unlike other sports the lower seeds have zero chance until you get to the final 8. Even then in D1 it is a battle for second between Perrysburg and Massillon Perry. Don't think Coffman or Brecksville could beat Perrysburg (I haven't gone thru weight by weight matchups).
By your logic, we only need 4 teams then. Ed's is the clear favorite. Perry and Coffman are both VERY good dual teams. Perrysburg seems to be in that same category. I don't see anyone outside of those 4 placing unless it's based on their draw.

I don't agree. Being in the southwest, it was a big deal for my son's team to get some upsets and make the final 8 (this was when it was OHSAA and at St John's). The team that thought that they were going to win the bracket and advance had a big celebration ready with shirts made and everything. They got knocked off in the semis and then my boy's team won. It was a big deal to them to be headed to the tourney even though they knew that St Ed's awaited. It's not always just about being the number one team.

I don't agree. Being in the southwest, it was a big deal for my son's team to get some upsets and make the final 8 (this was when it was OHSAA and at St John's). The team that thought that they were going to win the bracket and advance had a big celebration ready with shirts made and everything. They got knocked off in the semis and then my boy's team won. It was a big deal to them to be headed to the tourney even though they knew that St Ed's awaited. It's not always just about being the number one team.
Agreed!

Not all that long ago a SW D2 team competed and won their 1st round dual as a 7th seed TWICE and as a 6th seed once. Those were awesome wins against some great teams. BUT, as great as those 3 wins were/are, the Team celebrated far more in qualifying and getting the chance to compete. No chance at all in beating those Graham teams, and our sport must be more than celebrating only the Champions.

Who said Perry’s battling for second?

My guess would be not eligible for the second half of the season because of transferring, but I don't have any concrete info.
He has wrestled in the last 2 weeks, so I’m guessing it isn’t due to transferring, but I don’t have any concrete info either.

I agree with Edge and have been saying top 8 for the last decade. Go back to the old system. You are finding out a lot of teams aren't even entering any more ( or declining) Just look at Perrysburg not entering.

Why does football have a 10 week elimination season to determine playoff teams, yet wrestling still has "to pick" the playoff teams? Will inseason duals ever matter in wrestling?

Why does football have a 10 week elimination season to determine playoff teams, yet wrestling still has "to pick" the playoff teams? Will inseason duals ever matter in wrestling?
They actually aren't picked. They are based off a point system. Points are awarded to the 9th, 10th and 11th graders that wrestled in the post season from the year before. Each under classman gets points for what place they finish along the way in the post season. You add up the points and they rank them from highest to lowest. Lebanon this year I think finished 12 or 13. They take the top 10. Lebanon already beat the 8th seed. Crushed the 10 seed twice. They will be wrestling the 7 seed next week. Now I am not saying Lebanon should be in the top 10 but it's clear that there are team's on the outside of top 10 that should have been in.

They actually aren't picked. They are based off a point system. Points are awarded to the 9th, 10th and 11th graders that wrestled in the post season from the year before. Each under classman gets points for what place they finish along the way in the post season. You add up the points and they rank them from highest to lowest. Lebanon this year I think finished 12 or 13. They take the top 10. Lebanon already beat the 8th seed. Crushed the 10 seed twice. They will be wrestling the 7 seed next week. Now I am not saying Lebanon should be in the top 10 but it's clear that there are team's on the outside of top 10 that should have been in.

My son's team beat the 6th and 9th seeds and are not in. Not sure what has to happen to get in though.