OHSFCA North vs. South D1-3 All Star Game........without all the all stars?

How in the world can you have an all star game where 7 of 12 teams that made the Final Four have no representation on either team (Bishop Watterson, TCC, Hoban, Moeller, Chardon, Springfield, and St. Ed's)? And of the 72 roster spots, only 9 total played in the Final Four (3 from Anderson, 1 from Celina, 1 from Hilliard Bradley, 2 from Massillon, 2 from Avon).

How does the kid that set the all time tackle record in a state final game not get an invite (Dom Purcell - Bishop Watterson)?

And why in the world are there only 3 kids out of 72 spots representing Catholic schools (4%) on these two rosters when 25% of the teams in the regional finals are Catholic Schools?

Don't come on this thread with Catholic School/recruiting hate either. Last I checked, Gahanna, Pickerington, and Massillon, are all still public schools and families move their kids there for football just as much as anywhere else.

Riley Neer, WR Bellefontaine. 1800+ yards 100+ catches, 21 TDs. A top 10 WR season in Ohio History. I was there when he was nominated in Region 9. Clown work by the South coaches.
In regard to others, I would make sure your coach put them up. There are a ton of teams that miss the meeting in Region 9. Can’t speak to other regions.

How in the world can you have an all star game where 7 of 12 teams that made the Final Four have no representation on either team (Bishop Watterson, TCC, Hoban, Moeller, Chardon, Springfield, and St. Ed's)? And of the 72 roster spots, only 9 total played in the Final Four (3 from Anderson, 1 from Celina, 1 from Hilliard Bradley, 2 from Massillon, 2 from Avon).

How does the kid that set the all time tackle record in a state final game not get an invite (Dom Purcell - Bishop Watterson)?

And why in the world are there only 3 kids out of 72 spots representing Catholic schools (4%) on these two rosters when 25% of the teams in the regional finals are Catholic Schools?

Don't come on this thread with Catholic School/recruiting hate either. Last I checked, Gahanna, Pickerington, and Massillon, are all still public schools and families move their kids there for football just as much as anywhere else.

My first thoughts are:
* a lot of the ‘star’ players have a football scholarship and I’d guess their college would want them to early enroll, nor would they want the kid to play and possibly get hurt.
* how many of the ‘star’ players with a scholarship even want to play?

Regarding the lack of private/Catholic school player representation:
* appears to be a possible/probably bias. If so, that’s tough to do anything about.
* usually the coach & assistant coaches in these games almost always have at least one kid from their school on the roster. Are Catholic schools head coaches participating/volunteering in these all star games? This is something one can do to change the lack of Catholic kid(s) participation
* maybe the coaches from those public schools you mentioned just so happen promote & champion their kids for these all star games better than the Watterson coaches did for the kid you mention.

I have no idea what might be the possible cause for how the all star team rosters came about. If one wants to change things, get involved.

My first thoughts are:
* a lot of the ‘star’ players have a football scholarship and I’d guess their college would want them to early enroll, nor would they want the kid to play and possibly get hurt.

* appears to be a possible/probably bias. If so, that’s tough to do anything about.
* usually the coach & assistant coaches in these games almost always have at least one kid from their school on the roster. Are Catholic schools head coaches participating/volunteering in these all star games? This is something one can do to change the lack of Catholic kid(s) participation
* maybe the coaches from those public schools you mentioned just so happen promote & champion their kids for these all star games better than the Watterson coaches did for the kid you mention.

I have no idea what might be the possible cause for how the all star team rosters came about. If one wants to change things, get involved.
“Get involved” like create a Document detailing a players credentials, going to the meeting and nominating them and then waiting for the vote to come out? ✅

My first thoughts are:

As far as bias against Catholic schools - that is inexcusable. The best kids should get invites. Bottom line.

Selection of the most deserving kids shouldn't come down to how involved their coach is in the OHSFCA when it is an obvious choice. Dom Purcell was D3 Defensive Player of the Year, Central District Defensive Player of the Year (and a kid from Gahanna who was second team all state makes it in over him) Nominee for Mr. Football, and set a record for tackles made in a state final game. All of this just looks petty and incompetent from OHSFCA. If politicking for your kid is what this honor is all about, then it's a farce.

Riley Neer, WR Bellefontaine. 1800+ yards 100+ catches, 21 TDs. A top 10 WR season in Ohio History. I was there when he was nominated in Region 9. Clown work by the South coaches.
In regard to others, I would make sure your coach put them up. There are a ton of teams that miss the meeting in Region 9. Can’t speak to other regions.
That kid is a stud! Another example of how this is dumb.

Reactions: bcw

Kids aren't invited to play in this game, they are nominated and there's several factors that go into that. If the kid's coach doesn't attend his district coaches association meetings to nominate him, then that's on the coach. In the Watterson kid's case, did he even want to play? He's committed to the Naval Academy. Most kids that are going to D1 teams don't even consider playing for the sake of staying healthy.

Selection of the most deserving kids shouldn't come down to how involved their coach is in the OHSFCA when it is an obvious choice.
Most districts have 1 meeting a year for the coaches to nominate kids for the game. If the kid wanted to play and the coach didn't go to one meeting to make it happen, that's on the coach. The north/south coaches don't get to hand pick their teams from any team they want to - they're given a pool of kids nominated by each district coaches association.

“Get involved” like create a Document detailing a players credentials, going to the meeting and nominating them and then waiting for the vote to come out? ✅
He's saying get involved with the process. If you don't like the way players are chosen for the game and it matters that much to you, then get a position on your district association and get into these conversations

As far as bias against Catholic schools - that is inexcusable. The best kids should get invites. Bottom line.

Selection of the most deserving kids shouldn't come down to how involved their coach is in the OHSFCA when it is an obvious choice. Dom Purcell was D3 Defensive Player of the Year, Central District Defensive Player of the Year (and a kid from Gahanna who was second team all state makes it in over him) Nominee for Mr. Football, and set a record for tackles made in a state final game. All of this just looks petty and incompetent from OHSFCA. If politicking for your kid is what this honor is all about, then it's a farce.

Again, did the Watterson coaches attend the meeting for the selection? Did the Watterson kid even want to play? If yes to both of these question then you can start to claim Catholic bias. If not, get involved with the process and quit complaining.

Do you expect a coach from say Miami Trace, Athens or Bexley (all D3 Region 11 schools like Watterson) champion a kid they probably never seen play over a kid on their roster that they are at the selection meeting for?

Last edited:
He's saying get involved with the process. If you don't like the way players are chosen for the game and it matters that much to you, then get a position on your district association and get into these conversations
Has Nothing to do with the District Association. Region 9 (Bellefontaine’s region) selects a coach to be on the staff. Our regions selection is the Head Coach from Celina. The South coaching staff then selects from a pool of players.

You tell me how a kid with 1800 yards and 21 TDs on an elite 8 team heavily recruited by Dayton is left off?

Last edited:
Maybe these kids also play a spring sport and don't want to miss a game or meet so they decline the offer. So the coach nominates someone else. Unless you are hearing the kid or their family complain I wouldn't worry too much about it.
So if we know that’s not the case, we can complain?
Several of you have really went to bat as to why this issue isn’t a big deal. Any of you wanna take a crack at how he’s left off the roster with all the proper nomination and motivation to play?

Several of you have really went to bat as to why this issue isn’t a big deal. Any of you wanna take a crack at how he’s left off the roster with all the proper nomination and motivation to play?
You're complaining about 1 case, just like every person that's pissed when their kid doesn't make the all-state team. You don't like it? Get involved (actually involved, not just by nominating kids and then complaining when they don't get picked) with the OHSFCA and the North/South game and push for changes.

With one big difference. The kid I’m complaining about had a top 10 WR season in OHSAA history on a really good team vs some really good teams.

I agree, next year we have to ensure that our head coach is the one guy chosen from Region 9 to the south staff, to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

Has Nothing to do with the District Association. Region 9 (Bellefontaine’s region) selects a coach to be on the staff. Our regions selection is the Head Coach from Celina. The South coaching staff then selects from a pool of players.

You tell me how a kid with 1800 yards and 21 TDs on an elite 8 team heavily recruited by Dayton is left off?
Last time I even looked at rosters is about 15 years ago Almost all of those players had already committed to D 1 schools. If Dayton is the biggest school who have offered and he is the real deal, then whomever helped him with recruiting is not very good. Just observations, don't have a dog in the fight.

If you don’t think a kid heavily recruited by Dayton and given preferred D1 walk-ons is legit, then I can’t help you

Wait till you see the offer sheet from the guy in his Region selected over him at WR.

Last time I even looked at rosters is about 15 years ago Almost all of those players had already committed to D 1 schools. If Dayton is the biggest school who have offered and he is the real deal, then whomever helped him with recruiting is not very good. Just observations, don't have a dog in the fight.

FYI. Dayton is a D1 non-scholarship school for football. They may give a player grants and things of that nature but again, UD does not give $$$ football scholarships

I think we are.
No. His family is too classy to complain.
You guys can bash me all you want. I coached the kid and care about him and we’re not talking about an “argument on both sides”. He was an overwhelmingly easy choice and I’ve yet to hear someone argue otherwise.

FYI. Dayton is a D1 non-scholarship school for football. They may give a player grants and things of that nature but again, UD does not give $$$ football scholarships
Right and they still are very competitive in the recruiting world. Not sure what that proves.

No. His family is too classy to complain.
You guys can bash me all you want. I coached the kid and care about him
If complaining to a bunch of anon's on yappi is going to help the kid and help you sleep at night, then have at it

Yappi would be a ghost town without it.
Dude started the thread about the topic. I added a player obviously overlooked then was given a series of reasons he was left off. Not a single one, addressing his ability and performance vs the others selected over him……..I give. You boys are right. 100 catch’s, 1800 yards and 21 TDs with a 4th quarter loss in the elite 8 vs State Runner Up Watterson doesn’t quite get you a seat at the table.

If you are somehow personally involved go ahead and complain all you want. Just don't get bent out of shape when people don't agree with you or think it's no big deal.

Who knows maybe despite all the on field success maybe the coach knows more than the public about what goes on daily and didn't think he deserved it.

Right and they still are very competitive in the recruiting world. Not sure what that proves.

Just trying to clarify things for you. Dayton is very competitive in recruiting but mostly against DIII schools (Mt Union). Bottom line, if one can get their school paid for via a football scholarship, you take it over getting a discount at another school.

UD plays other non scholarship D1 AA universities in football in the Pioneer League (Drake, Davidson, Butler, Marist, San Diego, etc). It is still a high level of football probably comparable to Division II (Walsh, Tiffin) but a step below I-AA scholarship schools (North Dakota St, Youngstown St, Montana, etc). I believe Dayton has qualified once for the I-AA playoffs but was near soundly in the first round.

Just trying to clarify things for you. Dayton is very competitive in recruiting but mostly against DIII schools (Mt Union). Bottom line, if one can get their school paid for via a football scholarship, you take it over getting a discount at another school.
Depends on the school and your future plans. A free diploma from a tier-3 school might not be as advantageous in the long run as making an investment in yourself elsewhere.

Yappi would be a ghost town without it.
Dude started the thread about the topic. I added a player obviously overlooked then was given a series of reasons he was left off. Not a single one, addressing his ability and performance vs the others selected over him……..I give. You boys are right. 100 catch’s, 1800 yards and 21 TDs with a 4th quarter loss in the elite 8 vs State Runner Up Watterson doesn’t quite get you a seat at the table.
Take a look at where some of the GWOC kids rank in statistics that are on this year's team. Maybe one is in the top five of the major statistic for their position. So a kid getting overlooked is not new. Be happy for what the kid accomplished the past four years.

UD plays other non scholarship D1 AA universities in football in the Pioneer League (Drake, Davidson, Butler, Marist, San Diego, etc). It is still a high level of football probably comparable to Division II (Walsh, Tiffin) but a step below I-AA scholarship schools (North Dakota St, Youngstown St, Montana, etc). I believe Dayton has qualified once for the I-AA playoffs but was near soundly in the first round.
I’m well versed in Dayton’s positioning in the CFB landscape. I mentioned it as a comparison to kids chosen over him. The stats overwhelming favor Riley so I assumed the “offer sheet” would be mentioned. He was also passed over for a WR without a “Dayton caliber” offer.

I’m well versed in Dayton’s positioning in the CFB landscape. I mentioned it as a comparison to kids chosen over him. The stats overwhelming favor Riley so I assumed the “offer sheet” would be mentioned. He was also passed over for a WR without a “Dayton caliber” offer.
You ever think that maybe this might be why the kid was not nominated? Maybe the coach or coaches were trying to help out a few kids who do not have offers yet and are lower division bound if possible. It is an exhibition game after all. The coaches probably really don't care much and just want no one to get injured. Same for probably 90% of the players. But you always have those try hards out there acting like it is the super bowl. Those kids are the reason top talent won't play in these games. No 5 star going to a power 5 conference wants a Rudy wanna be from D3 school trying to prove he can play with the big boys and injuring him in April.