Ohio Heritage Conference 2024

I like your top three. I would have to flop WJ to the top though. High pressure job (no more than any other), expectations are always high with the players and fans and the numbers would support that. As you said, there is a culture there and I would think that is what a HC wants.

GV, WL-S and Burg are solid programs and any coach would love to have that job...IMO.

Greenon, you couldn't pay me Day's salary to take that job. IMO, there are a lot of people in that community that know too much about football that don't know much about football. I think Greenon is a place where a coach needs the thickest skin.
i’m not disagreeing with you however the ceiling at Greenon is very high.. when the talent is there they can be very good.. the current HC has won when he has the players

i think the culture within the football program has changed drastically, however there are larger problems within the community as you mentioned. you’d think a community who has endured 30+ years of losing would have more patience now.. i’ve sat in the stands for almost every game between 2016-2022 and some people have been unbearable. i think it was 2019, there was a “fan” calling for the coach to get fired after they let Bradford score a TD in garbage time.. game ended up 65-6! they sure do know a lot about football.

i’m not disagreeing with you however the ceiling at Greenon is very high.. when the talent is there they can be very good.. the current HC has won when he has the players

i think the culture within the football program has changed drastically, however there are larger problems within the community as you mentioned. you’d think a community who has endured 30+ years of losing would have more patience now.. i’ve sat in the stands for almost every game between 2016-2022 and some people have been unbearable. i think it was 2019, there was a “fan” calling for the coach to get fired after they let Bradford score a TD in garbage time.. game ended up 65-6! they sure do know a lot about football.

That's every school, at every game I've ever been to in Ohio (with the exception of the MAC....weird coincidence?? Nah).

When I'm not coaching or sitting in a press box; I cannot sit in the stands. Unless I only have certain people around me, and those are few and far between. That's gotten worse now that I have kids on the field on Fridays, lol. My wife hates it, but I can't deal with the ignorance.

Went on to the OHC website, pretty useful tool. I
FYI: Since 2017, Greeneview is 0-3 vs WLS, 0-2 vs WJ and 2-2 vs Mechanicsburg for a combined 2-7.
Went on to the OHC website, pretty useful tool. In 2018 it looks like they beat a Fairbanks team that won the North that year. Looking back on their 2019 season (5-5) was the last time they played both WLS and WJ. That year those teams met in the Regional Finals. Maybe Greeneview just caught them when they happened to be a bit down. This year they took WJ to overtime and WLS bear them soundly. Still crazy to think about how far it has come. I have lived in the Dayton area for nearly 30 years and followed the local teams- they used to be abysmal if I remember correctly.

That's every school, at every game I've ever been to in Ohio (with the exception of the MAC....weird coincidence?? Nah).

When I'm not coaching or sitting in a press box; I cannot sit in the stands. Unless I only have certain people around me, and those are few and far between. That's gotten worse now that I have kids on the field on Fridays, lol. My wife hates it, but I can't deal with the ignorance.
I was at a Greeneview game a couple years ago where every time they scored they kicked the extra point from a hash. The kicker missed one. In the stands I was sitting around a fan who was yelling at the top of his lungs to move the ball to the middle of the field. Finally, a coach turned around and yelled back at the guy that there was a busted sprinkler head and the middle of the field was a swampy mess. I got up and moved away from the loud mouth even though he did quiet down.

Went on to the OHC website, pretty useful tool. In 2018 it looks like they beat a Fairbanks team that won the North that year. Looking back on their 2019 season (5-5) was the last time they played both WLS and WJ. That year those teams met in the Regional Finals. Maybe Greeneview just caught them when they happened to be a bit down. This year they took WJ to overtime and WLS bear them soundly. Still crazy to think about how far it has come. I have lived in the Dayton area for nearly 30 years and followed the local teams- they used to be abysmal if I remember correctly.
1,000,000% agree. It's been a huge and successful transformation in Jamestown. Rams also had probably the best shot at upsetting one of the "legit" MAC teams for the OHC back in 2016 (aside from Burg vs Local & Burg vs Minster). Greeneview was up 17-0 in the 2nd in that game, blocked FG by Coldwater prevented it from going into OT. To me, that's as big of an accomplishment as any league title.

A great site is

It has scores by year and the league standings by year

In 2018 Greenevirw did beat Fairbanks 24-17 who was the OHC North co-champs but they did lose to Mechanicsburg 7-0 who finished 3rd.

In 2019 Greeneview lost to both WJ & WLS by 3 tds - those two teams were far superior (as was Mechanicsburg) to Greneview. 2019 was a very strong year for the OHC.

In 2023 Greeneview got beat soundly by WLS and they took WJ to OT.

Greeneview has knocked on the door but they are definitely 4th in the OHC behind WJ, Burg & WLS. If they want to take the next step as a football program, they should ask to play in the OHC North for football and improve their non-conference schedule.

A great site is

It has scores by year and the league standings by year

In 2018 Greenevirw did beat Fairbanks 24-17 who was the OHC North co-champs but they did lose to Mechanicsburg 7-0 who finished 3rd.

In 2019 Greeneview lost to both WJ & WLS by 3 tds - those two teams were far superior (as was Mechanicsburg) to Greneview. 2019 was a very strong year for the OHC.

In 2023 Greeneview got beat soundly by WLS and they took WJ to OT.

Greeneview has knocked on the door but they are definitely 4th in the OHC behind WJ, Burg & WLS. If they want to take the next step as a football program, they should ask to play in the OHC North for football and improve their non-conference schedule.
I certainly think over the last 10 years they've climbed into that Fairbanks/Northeastern territory. This site is only partially updated these days, but here's some good OHC specific information: https://www.leaguelineup.com/miscinfo.asp?menuid=30&url=ohc

OHC ONLY GAMES BY WIN PERCENTAGE:
1. West Jefferson 44-10 (.815)
2. Mechanicsburg 127-39 (.765)
3. West Liberty-Salem 123-42 (.745)
4. Greenon 29-24 (.547)
5. Northeastern 81-86 (.485)
6. Fairbanks 28-25 (.472)
7. Catholic Central 76-90 (.458)
8. Greeneview 75-92 (.449)
9. Triad 72-94 (.434)
10. Southeastern 60-105 (.364)
11. Madison Plains 15-39 (.278)
12. Cedarville 41-125 (.247)

i have started sitting in either the visitors bleachers or standing on the fence at most games i go to. some fans are awful! little jimmy’s dad really is convinced that he will change the coaches mind about who he plays/what play he runs by yelling at him from the stands.

i agree that it’s every school- but the recent success shows that Greenon isn’t further behind than any other team who goes through similar phases. it takes the right coach, a supportive community, and a youth program capable of teaching the fundamentals and keeping kids interested. Greenon seems to have the right coach and a youth program that is going in the right direction. unfortunately a large portion of the community does not care about football during years they aren’t above average.

This got me thinking, what would be the most "desirable" head coaching gigs in the OHC (say top 3)? I was trying to find a list of head coaches over the last 20 years for each school but it appears the Yappi Sports Wiki page is down. I know WLS has had 2 coaches since 1999, I believe the same for West Jefferson. Meanwhile many other schools have had a lot of turnover.

I would guess we see some openings at some pretty desirable schools in the next 5 years and it got me thinking.

Top 3; West Jeff, WL-S and Burg? Or is that a homer opinion? Sometimes added pressure to win makes things less desirable.
WJ and Burg might be the top. But today, real time, I would think WLS or Fairbanks would be great spots. How long has WLS coach been there?

i have started sitting in either the visitors bleachers or standing on the fence at most games i go to. some fans are awful! little jimmy’s dad really is convinced that he will change the coaches mind about who he plays/what play he runs by yelling at him from the stands.

i agree that it’s every school- but the recent success shows that Greenon isn’t further behind than any other team who goes through similar phases. it takes the right coach, a supportive community, and a youth program capable of teaching the fundamentals and keeping kids interested. Greenon seems to have the right coach and a youth program that is going in the right direction. unfortunately a large portion of the community does not care about football during years they aren’t above average.
IMO, Greenon has the right guy in place at the right time and for what I am reading, Greenon has ups coming into the program and that should bolster the HC status. Though I do not envy his position.
Yes, there is push back from parents in ALL the OHC programs, I just cannot remember one school having more parental gaslighting than Greenon. Knightsfan, you are a man amongst men in that community and you tell it like it is but if I had my pick, I would take SCC over Greenon to coach.

IMO, Greenon has the right guy in place at the right time and for what I am reading, Greenon has ups coming into the program and that should bolster the HC status. Though I do not envy his position.
Yes, there is push back from parents in ALL the OHC programs, I just cannot remember one school having more parental gaslighting than Greenon. Knightsfan, you are a man amongst men in that community and you tell it like it is but if I had my pick, I would take SCC over Greenon to coach.
SCC- use the voucher system to your advantage and you will win games!

The most important thing for a coach success is an AD and administration that supports him/her. I had a coach friend that won state championships and he told me one of the reasons he stayed at the school was the AD. Parents came up and wanted to talk once the talk started to get out of hand he would say look you need to talk to the AD. The AD would say he is the coach,it’s a coaches decision that’s it. If you don’t like go to the principal. The principal would say have you talked to the coach and the AD and then say well that’s it. It’s their job and they do what they think is right so it’s over. It’s easier for private schools to tell parents to back off than public where you have a school board relying on voters for money and votes. But a coach without the support of the administration is just on the list of coaches to be fired.

No matter what WJ lost guys, they will reload with what they have coming up and with what the injuries that they had will be coming back.
I look for NE and WJ to battle it out for the league.
Like I said in the WJ thread, if WJ doesn’t win a regional title this season, it will be a disaster!
213 days till kickoff boys!
Say what you want!
The riders will turn some heads this year.

Saw a post on the WJ thread about scheduling non-conference games to better prepare OHC teams to compete at a state level. It got me thinking, who should each OHC team schedule if that was their ultimate goal? Each OHC team has 2 non-conference games. So taking into account location and divisional assignment, who do you think each school should play?

For WL-S, I'd love to see a rotation of Anna, Minster, Versailles, and New Bremen. Each of those schools is a shorter trip than West Jefferson, Madison Plains, or Greeneview.

Last edited:
Saw a post on the WJ thread about scheduling non-conference games to better prepare OHC teams to compete at a state level. It got me thinking, who should each OHC team schedule if that was their ultimate goal? Each OHC team has 2 non-conference games. So taking into account location and divisional assignment, who do you think each school should play?

For WL-S, I'd love to see a rotation of Anna, Minster, Versailles, and New Bremen. Each of those schools is a shorter trip than West Jefferson, Madison Plains, or Greeneview.
great question. the two i bolded is who i would pick. some ideas i have:

Greenon- Shawnee (yearly), Bethel, Brookville, Milton Union, Tecumseh, Blanchester, Waynesville, Kenton Ridge

Springfield CC- any low tier WOAC team, Sidney Lehman, Troy Christian, Dayton Christian

Southeastern- East Clinton, Westfall, Adena, Covington, Southeastern (Chillicothe)

Northeastern- Graham, Urbana, Kenton Ridge, Northwestern, Shawnee, London

Madison Plains- Westfall, Grove City Christian, Adena, East Clinton

Greeneview- Waynesville, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Blanchester, Paint Valley, Zane Trace, East Clinton

Cedarville- East Clinton, Adena, Paint Valley, Fayetteville, Riverside, Westfall

West Jefferson- North Union, London, Jonathan Alder, Paint Valley, Miami Trace, Buckeye Valley, Logan Elm

Mechanicsburg- any MAC team, Ansonia, Jonathan Alder, London, Urbana, Riverside, North Union, Adena, Paint Valley

West Liberty Salem- Anna, Indian Lake, Allen East, Bellefontaine, Urbana, North Union, Versailles, Miami East

Triad- Sidney Lehman, Troy Christian, Covington, Ben Logan, Graham, Miami East, Riverside, Ridgemont

Fairbanks- North Union, Jonathan Alder, Ben Logan, Elgin

Wouldn't Urbana be a good schedule for WLS? Its right down the street. Bigger school that has had 2 years of really good football. Just an idea

Wouldn't Urbana be a good schedule for WLS? Its right down the street. Bigger school that has had 2 years of really good football. Just an idea
For sure. They play every year in the jamboree game. My guess is that Urbana doesn't want to schedule WLS. If you win, not a lot of points from a D6 school. If you lose, you lost to a D6 school, which isn't good for the program. Now I know Urbana scheduled West Jeff and Fort Recovery, but that was also during a time when the program was way down (when scheduled) and neither is a fellow county school and/or bordering district. Urbana has too much pride and tradition within their football program to risk all of that, again IMO.

I think WLS would add Urbana in a heart beat, I just don't think Urbana would be willing.

And FTR, I would rather play Anna, Versailles, Minster, or New Bremen than Urbana each year. But I look at it from the building a "deep playoff run" caliber team standpoint.

WLS should play a MAC team for one OOC game and a rotation of Ben Logan, Graham, Riverside, Indian Lake in the other.

Mason Book and Austin Buescher were honored tonight at the varsity basketball game for their first team all Ohio football honors. #RoughriderFootball #OnlyChampionsPlayHere
FB_IMG_1706319631577.jpg

Greenon- Shawnee (yearly), Bethel, Brookville, Milton Union, Tecumseh, Blanchester, Waynesville, Kenton Ridge

Springfield CC- any low tier WOAC team, Sidney Lehman, Troy Christian, Dayton Christian

Southeastern- East Clinton, Westfall, Adena, Covington, Southeastern (Chillicothe)

Greeneview- Waynesville, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Blanchester, Paint Valley, Zane Trace, East Clinton

Cedarville- East Clinton, Adena, Paint Valley, Fayetteville, Riverside, Westfall

West Jefferson- North Union, London, Jonathan Alder, Paint Valley, Miami Trace, Buckeye Valley, Logan Elm

Mechanicsburg- any MAC team, Ansonia, Jonathan Alder, London, Urbana, Riverside, North Union, Adena, Paint Valley

West Liberty Salem- Anna, Indian Lake, Allen East, Bellefontaine, Urbana, North Union, Versailles, Miami East

Triad- Sidney Lehman, Troy Christian, Covington, Ben Logan, Graham, Miami East, Riverside, Ridgemont

Personally I would love to see Central reestablish a football series with Lehman and Northwestern. The Irish played Piqua Catholic and Sidney Catholic for a long time before they merged and then Lehman as part of the Three Rivers I think.

I’m not sure the Burg wants to see Ansonia. Disrespect the mid field logo by stomping it Devin Bush style then getting boat raced and crying after isn’t a good look. I’m ALL for talk but come on now.

wow interesting hire. is this the same guy that got ran out at Clear Fork? seems like an old school coach that has won a ton of games. can be a good hire if the Fairbanks community can buy into tough coaching.
Same guy. Extremely successful coach. Well over 200 career wins at Clear Fork, Urbana, Marion Pleasant, and some other stops.

Home run hire for Fairbanks. There’s just not a lot of really good coaches applying in these situations. Dave Carroll is a really good coach.

wow interesting hire. is this the same guy that got ran out at Clear Fork? seems like an old school coach that has won a ton of games. can be a good hire if the Fairbanks community can buy into tough coaching.
Old school coaching isnt always a bad thing. Curious though, how old is he? Not sure if they are looking for a long term guy to build a program or a guy to get back on the path for a few years. Thought they would go young coach. Still a great hire! Just hope that old school, hard nose mentality works! Good luck to Fairbanks!

Old school coaching isnt always a bad thing. Curious though, how old is he? Not sure if they are looking for a long term guy to build a program or a guy to get back on the path for a few years. Thought they would go young coach. Still a great hire! Just hope that old school, hard nose mentality works! Good luck to Fairbanks!
i looked up the article about him getting fired at Clear Fork. seemed like he was already close to retirement so I would have to assume he doesn’t last more than 3 years in Milford Center?