Max Preps State rankings

Maxpreps overall rankings. Notice there isn't a #1 team this week lol.....oh and take a look at #4 :). Did anyone really think that using Maxpreps was going to be a good idea?

Maxpreps uses a similar computer formula to what the Harbins are to football. It mostly calculates the strength of your schedule based on your opponents wins. This early in the season, not enough data is available since nobody has played more than a handful of games....But, it's still better than the polls the sportswriters come up with. I'd say that they have, for the most part, adequately identified the best 10-15 teams. not sure about the order though.

Maxpreps uses a similar computer formula to what the Harbins are to football. It mostly calculates the strength of your schedule based on your opponents wins. This early in the season, not enough data is available since nobody has played more than a handful of games....But, it's still better than the polls the sportswriters come up with. I'd say that they have, for the most part, adequately identified the best 10-15 teams. not sure about the order though.
Wasn't necessarily questioning the rankings. Just noted that there is no #1 and the #4 team isn't even from Ohio

Wasn't necessarily questioning the rankings. Just noted that there is no #1 and the #4 team isn't even from Ohio
No problem. i'm sure the next time there will be. I'm just glad there is some system in place for knowing whose any good.

Maxpreps overall rankings. Notice there isn't a #1 team this week lol.....oh and take a look at #4 :). Did anyone really think that using Maxpreps was going to be a good idea?

No problem. i'm sure the next time there will be. I'm just glad there is some system in place for knowing whose any good.
And aren't these teams mixed by Division?

LOVE the strength of the schedule metric. Exposes the teams that never play anybody but end the season with great records and high seeds. You can already tell who those teams are. Hoping there is some balance in the seedings for teams that continue to not challenge themselves, especially the schools that are more than capable.

If you're in the GCL and you only play 6 league games, you should be challenging yourself in the non-conference. A GCL school with a very weak SOS should be embarrassed.

LOVE the strength of the schedule metric. Exposes the teams that never play anybody but end the season with great records and high seeds. You can already tell who those teams are. Hoping there is some balance in the seedings for teams that continue to not challenge themselves, especially the schools that are more than capable.

If you're in the GCL and you only play 6 league games, you should be challenging yourself in the non-conference. A GCL school with a very weak SOS should be embarrassed.
It’s my understanding that the SoS metric does not account for differences in divisions.

It’s my understanding that the SoS metric does not account for differences in divisions.
It's not perfect but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't need to be as complex as what they use in college.

At least now SOS is part of the conversation, and a 17-3 team that has played nobody should be dropped down some because of it.

Go back to putting all the district coaches in a room and having to vote while looking everyone in the eye as your name is read with who you voted for . . . Lol

Only problem with that is sometimes you had District Championship games that were better than some Regional games.

Kidding but Maxpreps isnt the answer. Not sure what the answer is, but I can't believe there isn't some weighted algorithm that can figure all this out.

Go back to putting all the district coaches in a room and having to vote while looking everyone in the eye as your name is read with who you voted for . . . Lol

Only problem with that is sometimes you had District Championship games that were better than some Regional games.

Kidding but Maxpreps isnt the answer. Not sure what the answer is, but I can't believe there isn't some weighted algorithm that can figure all this out.
This system doesn't affect which districts feed into which regional so you can still have District Championship games that are better than some regional games.

In SWOH you got a sheet after the voting that had how everyone voted, if you had issues with someone you could address it!

It's not perfect but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't need to be as complex as what they use in college.

At least now SOS is part of the conversation, and a 17-3 team that has played nobody should be dropped down some because of it.
I’m fairly confident that coaches took SoS into consideration as well. To have an official power ranking that doesn’t take divisions into account is just plain lazy.

I’m fairly confident that coaches took SoS into consideration as well. To have an official power ranking that doesn’t take divisions into account is just plain lazy.
Haven't seen anywhere that explains exactly how they calculate their numbers, but if for example a D3 team gets the same credit for beating an 8-1 rural D4 school as they do for beating 8-1 St Ignatius or Moeller then that system is beyond comical

I think the seeding is way overblown, especially if home court isn’t a factor. Maybe facing a tougher schedule gets you a slightly lower seed, but the coaches still pick where they want to go on the board.

An untested 1 seed will attract more attention from coaches who need to place themselves in a bracket as opposed to a battle tested 4 seed who everyone wants to avoid. That 4 seed may “upset” a 1 on paper, but you still gotta play the games.

What all this does is take the voting out of the coaches hands. A teams "true slot" wont be lost on the coaches. So there will be brackets where teams go after the 1 or 2 seed, and brackets where teams avoid the 4 or 5 seed.
Coaches know. To me, the only drawback to the this is it doesn't take into account divisions, and that really matters.

I don’t believe that the current MaxPreps rankings are using the same formula for the MaxPreps rankings that the OHSAA will be using.

At least the SOS metric can give you a hint on who is sand-bagging schedules.

Elder has played 1 decent team all year and lost by 15. Outside of the GCL, the majority of their schedule is pretty pathetic. They should be playing most of the GMC and the GWOC. This type of schedule from a GCL powerhouse? Football plays anyone, basketball plays no one. This is like a D2 schedule.

Lebanon
Cooper
Roger Bacon
McNick
St Charles Prep
Anderson
Conner
Mariemont
Wyoming

That's pretty embarrassing for a school like Elder. Why don't they just add the GCL Coed.

At least the SOS metric can give you a hint on who is sand-bagging schedules.

Elder has played 1 decent team all year and lost by 15. Outside of the GCL, the majority of their schedule is pretty pathetic. They should be playing most of the GMC and the GWOC. This type of schedule from a GCL powerhouse? Football plays anyone, basketball plays no one. This is like a D2 schedule.

Lebanon
Cooper
Roger Bacon
McNick
St Charles Prep
Anderson
Conner
Mariemont
Wyoming

That's pretty embarrassing for a school like Elder. Why don't they just add the GCL Coed.
You also have to account for teams who are WILLING to play Elder.

GCL teams need to find 16 non league games. Thats a challenge.
They still have:
2 GMC
2 GOWC
3 ECC
2 NKY(one of which an excellent team)
wyoming...one of the better non d1 teams in state

not a bad schedule, at all.

Lasalle's is similar, but downgraded by a weak winter tournament field.
X plays 5 d2 or lower schools, including, i believe a local d4 team
Moe plays australia, gamble a cupcake tournament, hughes walnut and newcath

You also have to account for teams who are WILLING to play Elder.

GCL teams need to find 16 non league games. Thats a challenge.
They still have:
2 GMC
2 GOWC
3 ECC
2 NKY(one of which an excellent team)
wyoming...one of the better non d1 teams in state

not a bad schedule, at all.

Lasalle's is similar, but downgraded by a weak winter tournament field.
X plays 5 d2 or lower schools, including, i believe a local d4 team
Moe plays australia, gamble a cupcake tournament, hughes walnut and newcath
Who is unwilling to play Elder in basketball? And if so, why?

Pretty weak schedule across all of the GCL.

Who’s unwilling to play them in football?
I understand football with Harbins and a 10 game schedule - but basketball, where everyone gets in and you have upwards of 22-23 games? Who would still be reluctant to play anyone across D1 in Cincy?

I find it hard to believe the "no one will play us" mantra in basketball.

Who is unwilling to play Elder in basketball? And if so, why?

Pretty weak schedule across all of the GCL.
There's plenty of teams who dont want to play other good, D1 teams. There's a lot of schools/coaches whop prefer their 19-3 record vs nobody, than go 14-8 and challenge themselves.

Take a straw poll and ask.

In addition, there's just not enough games and interested teams to go around to fill 16 non league games with a loaded schedule. GMC and ECC teams only have 4-6 non conference games they can schedule. And not many folks will accuse the ECC of being a powerful conference.

As a matter of fact, at the tournament mcnick held over christmas, they ended up playing elder and covcath because everyone else refused to play them if they were to come. So, there.

As a matter of fact, at the tournament mcnick held over christmas, they ended up playing elder and covcath because everyone else refused to play them if they were to come. So, there.
Really? This really happens?

Who would teams refuse to play either in basketball? I just don't understand the rationale besides ego. What has a team like Elder ever done in basketball for teams to refuse to play them?

Really? This really happens?

Who would teams refuse to play either in basketball? I just don't understand the rationale besides ego. What has a team like Elder ever done in basketball for teams to refuse to play them?
You said it. Ego.

What has elder done?

Elder has won a state title in every decade since the 40's, i believe...maybe not in the 2010's. But Elder is as good as anyone out there.