OSU Wrestle Offs

I do not know what you know, or anyone else, which is why I asked if Carson starting was confirmed.
I agree with you Tom can pick whoever he wants, but there are repercussions with not following generally accepted practices. I would not be worried about what Yappi thinks, I would be concerned about future recruits, and the morale of the team.
I think Gas Tank Gary beat Orndorff in a wrestle-off in 2021. Orndroff was a transfer coming in and had an AA that year and the coach made a decision and started Orndorff. There are no "generally accepted practices" at tOSU or any NCAA program that implies wrestle-offs determine the starter. The coach determines the starter. Now maybe there are some NCAA coaches that do that, but I would guess that most do not. And the crop of recruits that Ryan brought in this year didn't seem concerned. tOSU did lose GTG thru the transfer portal due to this, and I really liked the guy. However, Orndorff was the better wrestler IMO. And I'm glad GTG got a chance to start at Oregon State. Both GTG & Ordorff were R12 last year at NCAAs, so there wasn't a lot of separation there, if any. But Orndorff did have the one AA year for tOSU.

Wrestle-offs do seem determine starters in HS.

I think Gas Tank Gary beat Orndorff in a wrestle-off in 2021. Orndroff was a transfer coming in and had an AA that year and the coach made a decision and started Orndorff. There are no "generally accepted practices" at tOSU or any NCAA program that implies wrestle-offs determine the starter. The coach determines the starter. Now maybe there are some NCAA coaches that do that, but I would guess that most do not. And the crop of recruits that Ryan brought in this year didn't seem concerned. tOSU did lose GTG thru the transfer portal due to this, and I really liked the guy. However, Orndorff was the better wrestler IMO. And I'm glad GTG got a chance to start at Oregon State. Both GTG & Ordorff were R12 last year at NCAAs, so there wasn't a lot of separation there, if any. But Orndorff did have the one AA year for tOSU.

Wrestle-offs do seem determine starters in HS.
Obviously the year each wrestler is in ( eligibility) plays a part, results in opens etc. But it's not good practice for a coach to make a habit of starting the losing wrestler in a wrestle off. I'm not saying it never happens BUT if that were common practice I'm pretty sure SOME potential recruits would reconsider their choice. In this case the match was razor thin, however if Hepner keeps beating him it's not a good look to start Kharchla, unless the coach has "better" results in opens on his side.

Your responses are tired....riddled with lack of substance and merit. Like nails on a chalk board...? How's that drama queen?
Lol. Not even close to drama, just factual. I’ve read your posts, drama is consistent with your posts. Replying to these words of yours, …I really hate to. Because I know you are waiting for my reply…. Like a troll. A troll that waits for the bait so as to then incite and name call. Somehow that gives you enjoyment I think. If it’s Thought provoking content you are aiming for, fine and good. Too often though your words have “angry elf” flavor to them. Why not lighten up a bit? Ok your turn, I said my peace

Not trying to be snarky, but this isn't HS. College wrestle offs aren't created to find starters
It's a forum where "snarkiness" abounds, as do alignment with other "knuckleheads", where presumed fictional hierarchies and pecking orders are established by repeating information, not lengthy experience or valid associations with those in the know. It's fun though to watch everyone try to coexist in what is often a hearsay, wannabe environment. Where getting "likes" is by a false pretense mostly due to association. Personally I like to watch the circus from where I've been and my real life associations with the sport. "College wrestle offs aren't to find starters" Quite a blanket statement ...you sure about that Phillips? What about the weight classes that aren't decided by #1 through #5 recruits? Hmmm you think every coach recruits those with "partial scholarships" or walk on's and says " well you can never start if you win a wrestle off? Ehhh complete disagree there.
Ryan nor any other college coach have suffered from this system yet.

Are you positive? How would you really know? It's more obvious PSU hasn't if indeed you think the "system" is every college coach already knows who will start at each weight and wrestle offs never "count" . Have a good day ...play nice ..I have to rake some leaves.

Lol. Not even close to drama, just factual. I’ve read your posts, drama is consistent with your posts. Replying to these words of yours, …I really hate to. Because I know you are waiting for my reply…. Like a troll. A troll that waits for the bait so as to then incite and name call. Somehow that gives you enjoyment I think. If it’s Thought provoking content you are aiming for, fine and good. Too often though your words have “angry elf” flavor to them. Why not lighten up a bit? Ok your turn, I said my peace
Your forum buddy threw you the perpetual "like". Your rebuttal is as "predictable" as it gets on a "forum". You are the ultimate in "forum bandwagon jumpers". Without even considering the possibility of a valid opinion.....a true "knucklehead" if you will lol Have to do some fall clean up...I'm sorry if I didnt get to your "troll" reply and initial attack fast enough...I was out with my wife, we had the best French onion soup around, filled with the proper amount of cheese and onions, not TOO salty. We split a salad and an 8 ounce Filet....cooked medium rare with mushroom sauce...OUTSTANDING presentation and flavor! Started with a martini, Belvedere of course, with 2 blue cheese stuffed olives and a twist of lemon...we switched to a glass of red wine with dinner, J Lohr 2018 vintage..excellent value and a go to for about $10.00 a glass. Had a couple of friends join ...and the band was excellent! Slept in until 6:30 late for me, as I got up everyday at 5 am for 30 some years.....Made a couple of wheat bagels with peanut butter and light on the raspberry preserves .....Oh geezuz where has the time gone...Anyways I apologize for not getting back to your reply fast enough...I really am sorry ..really ..Have a great day!

" well you can never start if you win a wrestle off?
I don't believe I said that? Although I realize that doesn't matter.

Quite a few of us here just love wrestling. No one here claims to be an expert. No one but you. Which is fine with me. I like having an expert here.
Get those leaves raked. I was outside working when the sun came up. Enjoy the beautiful morning.

Last edited:
I don't believe I said that? Although I realize that doesn't matter.
"College wrestle offs aren't created to find starters." Sounds like that's what yore saying in absolute based on that quote.
Quite a few of us here just love wrestling. No one here claims to be an expert. No one but you. Which is fine with me. I like having an expert here.
Get those leaves raked. I was outside working when the sun came up. Enjoy the beautiful morning.
Expert in terms of experience coaching and competing, college included in both....likely far ahead of most here. Doesn't mean I'm an expert, but my opinions are normally validated by speaking with others likely more in the loop than MOST here also. I'm not here for validation trust me lol I also really have no dog in the "fights" here....I don't care enough, I have the time to waste these days so I'm ok wasting a bit. Some of the debates here are completely "subjective" never to be solved ...I'll bend on many, some are ridiculously incorrect. Jealousy plays a role here too, lots of parents here getting up in arms over certain things they may not like to hear. Certain people here don't like their "territory" or "narrative" challenged changed or disagreed with here( hint hint referee's :x) , they have their small army of "likes" they depend on lol Here is an example of the ridiculous mentality.......> Woo says " No one respects you here" lol. Listen Woo ....anyone I repeat ANYONE who comes here to a forum looking for or in need ofrespect.....is NOBODY I would ever associate with in life. 🤣

"College wrestle offs aren't created to find starters." Sounds like that's what yore saying in absolute based on that quote.
C'mon Old142, there was no absolute in what I wrote. I know you're not that obtuse. With your experiences, you know wrestle off's don't create starters 100% of the time, all the time.
I'm always looking for an opportunity to learn/know something that I didn't know before. It's the main reason I exist in any forum. I have no inside track or information like you. I try to glean what I can by podcast', reading articles and different forums because I love wrestling. I only have the folks around here and other forums to discuss it with. I believe I can separate the wheat from the chafe then take what I need and leave the rest.

From what i have seen in college wrestling, wrestle offs usually do not determine starters.

C'mon Old142, there was no absolute in what I wrote. I know you're not that obtuse.
Part of the problem in this type of venue is it's easy to not understand the full meaning of the written words. Thats happened to me plenty lol Understood.
With your experiences, you know wrestle off's don't create starters 100% of the time, all the time.
I'm always looking for an opportunity to learn/know something that I didn't know before. It's the main reason I exist in any forum. I have no inside track or information like you. I try to glean what I can by podcast', reading articles and different forums because I love wrestling. I only have the folks around here and other forums to discuss it with. I believe I can separate the wheat from the chafe then take what I need and leave the rest.
Wrestle offs are what make this sport unique, there's no subjectivity Mano a Mano....decide the victor, unless of course on occasion a ref gifts a match to the loser lol. Seriously though I've seen elite recruits never start that lost a wrestle off, it's not as rare as you might think . But of course if they can redshirt an up and comer that beats a #1 recruit....or move him a weight class, thats how it's solved. But for the sake of debate I agree most of the time wrestle offs are done for gauges, think about it the guy who is "supposed" to lose can be super driven to overachieve and beat the starter. It's a great way to get the most out of your competitors. Now if Hepner beats a # 1 or 2 guy in an open that Karachi loses to, then Hepner beats Kharchla again.....Ryan has a tough decision in front of him IMHO.. Additionally ...Miron has a long history with the TOSU program, lots of trust involved. Kharchla is going to be tough to beat again, I doubt it will happen.

Last edited:
Expert in terms of experience coaching and competing, college included in both....likely far ahead of most here. Doesn't mean I'm an expert, but my opinions are normally validated by speaking with others likely more in the loop than MOST here also. I'm not here for validation trust me lol I also really have no dog in the "fights" here....I don't care enough, I have the time to waste these days so I'm ok wasting a bit. Some of the debates here are completely "subjective" never to be solved ...I'll bend on many, some are ridiculously incorrect. Jealousy plays a role here too, lots of parents here getting up in arms over certain things they may not like to hear. Certain people here don't like their "territory" or "narrative" challenged changed or disagreed with here( hint hint referee's :x) , they have their small army of "likes" they depend on lol Here is an example of the ridiculous mentality.......> Woo says " No one respects you here" lol. Listen Woo ....anyone I repeat ANYONE who comes here to a forum looking for or in need ofrespect.....is NOBODY I would ever associate with in life. 🤣
Are you sure we can’t interest you in another hobby?

Ive heard Hep wants to RS, carson is the starter.

its college wrestle offs guys, they dont mean much. Ohio state wrestles guys they know are redshirting in them..... its a fan experience, get everyone back to the covelli to prep for season.

First time making weight is tough for everyone, gotta figure that out for march. its not the end of the world, dont panic everyone.

see everyone friday night!

Last edited:
its college wrestle offs guys, they dont mean much. Ohio state wrestles guys they know are redshirting in them..... its a fan experience, get everyone back to the covelli to prep for season.
"When asked for a statement, Jordan replied, “I loved my time at OSU but I left OSU because of wrestle off situations and there were a lot of good kids around my weight. I didn’t want to have to fight for a spot all year. What separated Chattanooga from the other schools once I hit the portal was that I really liked the team and coaches. They are a big family there and I feel like I will fit in very well. The Ruschell brothers are awesome coaches and wrestlers"

They meant enough to transfer as a senior ? And this from a "Jordan" .This isn't the first time either. Rocky was a pretty high recruit I'd imagine full scholarship or close.

Last edited:
"When asked for a statement, Jordan replied, “I loved my time at OSU but I left OSU because of wrestle off situations and there were a lot of good kids around my weight. I didn’t want to have to fight for a spot all year. What separated Chattanooga from the other schools once I hit the portal was that I really liked the team and coaches. They are a big family there and I feel like I will fit in very well. The Ruschell brothers are awesome coaches and wrestlers"

They meant enough to transfer as a senior ? And this from a "Jordan" .This isn't the first time either. Rocky was a pretty high recruit I'd imagine full scholarship or close.
Jordan left becasue there was no place form him in the line up. Romero took 184 from him.

I'm honestly perplexed that folks believe, wrestle offs in college determine a starter.
I'm a Rocky fan. It just didn't work I would have a hard time believing that...a Jordan...at OSU...didn't get a fair shake.
I'll defer to the more knowledgeable and folks who have been there...

Jordan left becasue there was no place form him in the line up. Romero took 184 from him.
What part of the horses mouth do you not understand?? Lol “ I didn’t want to fight for a spot ALL year” Meaning a high level recruit indeed lost his spot , or was concerned that ALL year he might lose his spot due to a wrestle off. Done end of story validating what i stated. You’re wrong… and WGTJ “ likes “ your refusal to accept your wrong lolol What a small goofy army of bozo’s lololll

I'm honestly perplexed that folks believe, wrestle offs in college determine a starter.
I'm a Rocky fan. It just didn't work I would have a hard time believing that...a Jordan...at OSU...didn't get a fair shake.
I'll defer to the more knowledgeable and folks who have been there...
Again??? What are you perplexed about?? A high level recruit stated it!!! Lolol too funny

What part of the horses mouth do you not understand?? Lol “ I didn’t want to fight for a spot ALL year” Meaning a high level recruit indeed lost his spot , or was concerned that ALL year he might lose his spot due to a wrestle off. Done end of story validating what i stated. You’re wrong… and WGTJ “ likes “ your refusal to accept your wrong lolol What a small goofy army of bozo’s lololll
Jordan won a wrestle off against Gavin Bell when Caleb Romero was injured. When Romero returned from injury, he took the spot. I’m not sure how Ryan handled the decision but my guess is that some kind of wrestle off may have been part of the deal. The bigger thing is that Rocky went 3-4 in duals at 184. Romero was clearly better as he went 5-1 and ended up an All-American (6th). I’m not sure what you think I’m wrong about. Jordan transferred becasue he got beat out at 184. If he was better than Romero, he would have started.

Explain it again...
Didn’t Jordan beat Romero in a wrestle off one year and didn’t get the starting job? So, I took the quoted statements that if he won the wrestle off he wasn’t guaranteed to start, thus the concerned all year comment.
I also know there are some D1 programs that do not have wrestle offs.

Didn’t Jordan beat Romero in a wrestle off one year and didn’t get the starting job? So, I took the quoted statements that if he won the wrestle off he wasn’t guaranteed to start, thus the concerned all year comment.
I also know there are some D1 programs that do not have wrestle offs.
Jordan started at 184 for 2 years. He got beat out by Romero last year. They did not have a public wrestle off to my knowledge.

Jordan started at 184 for 2 years. He got beat out by Romero last year. They did not have a public wrestle off to my knowledge.
I thought they wrestled off at 174 in 2019 and Jordan won, but Romero got the nod. I have no inside knowledge, but thought that Jordan may have wanted to be at 174, but wasn’t given the opportunity to do so and that may have been the reason for the comments that were quoted earlier. Romero may have had better results and ultimately is the reason he was given the starting job or maybe Looked better in practice.

Edit:
Found this on the inter web for 2019 wrestle off results.
125 lbs Malik Heinselman def. Hunter Lucas D, 7-2
133 lbs Jordan Decatur def. Dylan Koontz MD, 13-4
141 lbs Luke Pletcher def. Quinn Kinner D, 7-3
149 lbs Sammy Sasso def. Trey Grenier MD, 20-7
157 lbs Elijah Cleary def. Jaden Mattox TB1, 4-2
165 lbs Carson Kharchla def. Ethan Smith D, 3-2
174 lbs Rocky Jordan def. Kaleb Romero TB1, 2-1
184 lbs Zach Steiner def. Gavin Hoffman D, 5-4
197 lbs Kollin Moore def. Tyler Stein TF, 19-4

And I don’t really remember seeing Jeff or the rest of the family at the Covelli last year and wouldn’t be entirely surprised if Bo heads to a new opportunity after the season. As good as their careers were…they never really met fans unrealistic expectation. And obvious weakness over the last few years has been getting up from bottom. Not going to learn that from Bo.

Last edited:
I thought they wrestled off at 174 in 2019 and Jordan won, but Romero got the nod. I have no inside knowledge, but thought that Jordan may have wanted to be at 174, but wasn’t given the opportunity to do so and that may have been the reason for the comments that were quoted earlier. Romero may have had better results and ultimately is the reason he was given the starting job or maybe Looked better in practice.

Edit:
Found this on the inter web for 2019 wrestle off results.
125 lbs Malik Heinselman def. Hunter Lucas D, 7-2
133 lbs Jordan Decatur def. Dylan Koontz MD, 13-4
141 lbs Luke Pletcher def. Quinn Kinner D, 7-3
149 lbs Sammy Sasso def. Trey Grenier MD, 20-7
157 lbs Elijah Cleary def. Jaden Mattox TB1, 4-2
165 lbs Carson Kharchla def. Ethan Smith D, 3-2
174 lbs Rocky Jordan def. Kaleb Romero TB1, 2-1
184 lbs Zach Steiner def. Gavin Hoffman D, 5-4
197 lbs Kollin Moore def. Tyler Stein TF, 19-4
We are talking about 2 different years. If Jordan was upset about moving up to 184 in 2019, I’m not sure why he did not leave following that season. I think it was pretty clear what happened. He and Romero were comparable at 174 and the team had a hole at 184. Jordan was seen as the better option at 184. Last year, they did not wrestle off, publicly. It seems to me Ryan had the right starters in place last year. I’m not sure how one could objectively argue otherwise. Jordan said himself that there were a lot of guys at his weight and he did not want to wrestle off. As such, he went to a place without competition and where the spot was to be his without challenge. That’s good for him and it seems like things have worked out for the best for all parties.

My son's school (D3) doesn't have wrestle-offs as the coach believes that it leads to guys avoiding each other in the room or guys just understanding how to wrestle and beat their teammate because of familiarity, but then perform worse outside of that one match. The lineup is instead determined by wrestling in tournaments early in the year and the guy that performs better gets the spot.

Coaching staffs are constantly evaluating and reevaluating their talent so that they can put their best lineup on the mat. Wrestle-offs are one data point of many used to determine a starter, but there are obviously many others. The real question is how much longer can this thread continue?

Last edited:
This thread is a hoot...🙃
Indeed ...Particularly the part trying to deny this statement below is something other than stating wrestle offs are used in determining the starter involving even a high level recruit losing his place in the line up due to them. :ROFLMAO:🤡

" “I loved my time at OSU but I left OSU because of wrestle off situations and there were a lot of good kids around my weight. I didn’t want to have to fight for a spot all year."