2022 Elder Freshman Football

There’s financial aid. Distance? They can carpool with all the other kids going to Elder.
I'm just telling you what I have been told. If you don't have any kids, or the many expenses that going with having multiple kids then you wouldn't know.
Elder is very gracious with financial aid, but at the end of the day a good quality free public education at a brand new high school in a nice area close to their home might trump driving to price hill and paying several thousands of dollars. Maybe with multiple kids.

I'm just telling you what I have been told. If you don't have any kids, or the many expenses that going with having multiple kids then you wouldn't know.
Elder is very gracious with financial aid, but at the end of the day a good quality free public education at a brand new high school in a nice area close to their home might trump driving to price hill and paying several thousands of dollars. Maybe with multiple kids.
If they’re living in Miami Heights, they can swing it. I can understand choosing X or LS but it’s unfathomable to me to pick Taylor over Elder, unless there’s some extreme circumstances.

If you live in North Bend, and alot do, I'm guessing the drive to Elder is similar to the drive to St X.

And yes, a free Taylor HS absolutely is on their minds.

None of this was an issue when the vast majority of their enrollment came from Delhi and East/West Price Hill. Those 3 areas have seen significant exodus from growing families.

If they’re living in Miami Heights, they can swing it. I can understand choosing X or LS but it’s unfathomable to me to pick Taylor over Elder, unless there’s some extreme circumstances.
The cost savings alone over 4 years (free vs. an average tuition of maybe $6,000) is significant - now multiple by 2-3x for the number of kids. Plenty of people would choose to put that $75k to other things if they're convinced Taylor can get their child ready for college or a job. And by all accounts, they do that just fine.

The vast majority of parents see sports in high school as their kids' way to expand their circle and find a group of buddies, and to keep them busy and structured. Sure they want to win, but a child's social development is more important to them in the long run. Winning is just icing on the cake if their kids are maturing properly.

Yes both distance and cost were the two main objections I heard.

Location/ distance is a big issue for sure. Not only those out in North Bend and Cleves but just look at all the Elder families / grads out in Hidden Valley, Bright and Greendale. I guarantee you a lot of those kids would go to Elder as well if it wasn’t so far. Their base just keeps moving further and further west from the school and that hurts.

There’s financial aid. Distance? They can carpool with all the other kids going to Elder.
That handful of Visi kids did great things at Taylor and earned the opportunity to play at the college level. They also set an example for "Elder" families to come that you can go to Taylor for free, get a great education, and play at the college level. Hilvert and Austing weren't going to see the floor for Elder basketball. Taylor is a sleeping giant at the D2/3 level, it all comes down to if more and more kids go that route who live in the Bridgetown Rapid Run area. Also at Taylor their athletics aren't treated as life and death. A lot of kids are 3 sport athletes there instead of 1 or 2 at the most.

That handful of Visi kids did great things at Taylor and earned the opportunity to play at the college level. They also set an example for "Elder" families to come that you can go to Taylor for free, get a great education, and play at the college level. Hilvert and Austing weren't going to see the floor for Elder basketball. Taylor is a sleeping giant at the D2/3 level, it all comes down to if more and more kids go that route who live in the Bridgetown Rapid Run area. Also at Taylor their athletics aren't treated as life and death. A lot of kids are 3 sport athletes there instead of 1 or 2 at the most.
They didn’t win a damn thing at Taylor. All of you guys want to ride Taylor’s tip and talk down about Elder.

Location/ distance is a big issue for sure. Not only those out in North Bend and Cleves but just look at all the Elder families / grads out in Hidden Valley, Bright and Greendale. I guarantee you a lot of those kids would go to Elder as well if it wasn’t so far. Their base just keeps moving further and further west from the school and that hurts.
Those kids in Indiana can’t play sports unless they went to St Lawrence.

Those kids in Indiana can’t play sports unless they went to St Lawrence.

Which is ridiculous since their is no private high school anywhere in that area. When did that change because I remember a few years back they had 2-3 kids from Indiana that played football/baseball.

Agree on just about everything, but I think Austing would have been a great addition on Elder's basketball team. He's arguably just as good of a player as Keller and Harp - I can see arguments both ways. Yes, Austing played against lesser competition, but also had better numbers. Harp a better shooter, Austing perhaps a better all-around player.

They didn’t win a damn thing at Taylor. All of you guys want to ride Taylor’s tip and talk down about Elder.
Again, in a parents eyes, winning is jut icing on the cake. I can almost guarantee those parents 100% felt they made the right call for their kid.

Like literally, everyday for the last 10 years, you've been saying they need to expand beyond the feeders. You've probably written that post 2,500 times. They obviously haven't done that to your satisfaction.

So - you think that's honestly because they're trying to and they're just not good at it? Of course not - they're not trying to.

Plenty of people happen to agree with you, including me, that it should be more of a priority for them. But cmon, let's stop the charade that it just isn't happening for them. If they wanted it to happen, they would make it happen, just like they did with an expanded feeder reach, which they've been successful at. I don't know why you can't come clean with that.
Let's be clear:
They don't want to and they don't try to are two entirely different things.

No, neither student population can conduct themselves properly. If they face off in the playoffs, so be it, but it’s too nasty of a rivalry and the antics make both schools look bad.
100% agree. It's not just a fun-neighborhood rivalry. There's true bad blood and hatred between the students and athletes.

Let's be clear:
They don't want to and they don't try to are two entirely different things.
Sure, from a semantics perspective.

But wanting to almost always equates to more trying. In everything.

If you're telling me they're trying really hard to land non Catholic kids from public schools, and it's just not happening, I would advise a new strategy then. But my gut tells me there's not a huge emphasis on it if enrollment is over 200.

I have no doubt Elder could figure this out if it was a strategic priority.

I contacted a couple people. Antoninus had the best westside team last year and their two best players went to Moeller and St. Xavier. The best player on St. Jude's team went to Lasalle? or something. Visitation sent some players to X as usual, but Elder did get their two best players. It sounds like Moeller and X are pretty stacked. The freshman team has time to figure things out, but it sounds like only 66 players this class is not deep. Again, I will be more concerned if they struggle on JV next year assuming these kids even come back after this.
Didn't someone mention on page 1 that there are like 30 some odd WRs and DBs in this class. If half your team are WRs/DBs, that tells me you're extremely small up front and as a result will struggle against anyone with even average size.

Didn't someone mention on page 1 that there are like 30 some odd WRs and DBs in this class. If half your team are WRs/DBs, that tells me you're extremely small up front and as a result will struggle against anyone with even average size.
I think this theme will become more and more prevalent. The size just isn't there anymore and in my opinion, is the biggest difference. Yes, speed is a concern, but E was never a team with a ton of speedsters - but they have had size over the years. That's one of the biggest differences when I see Elder teams, and noticeable when you watch the GCYL westside teams play.

This is also why I think Peyton needs to be the next HC. Kids are going to want to be coached by him based on his reputation. They don’t have to do anything shady when the coach’s resume speaks for itself.
Maybe. Maybe not. The current Freshmen and junior high kids know of him, but going much younger will those kids actually care or remember?

Maybe. Maybe not. The current Freshmen and junior high kids know of him, but going much younger will those kids actually care or remember?
Here's the bottom line and what I feel is a relatively consistent response from people I know at all of the GCL schools:

The Elder coaches, mostly football, basketball and baseball, will not outwardly recruit as part of their jobs. They feel it's not their job to go out and woo kids to their school. Yes, they will talk to kids at open houses and talk to kids that seek them out, but they're not out following up with kids to help sway a decision. They look down upon that, not so much because they think it's illegal or wrong, but because they don't feel it should be part of the job. Team over individuals always. And their stance is also backed up by their AD - so they're content.

Coaches at the other GCL schools are out trying to land some of the best players and it's somewhat of an expectation. They put time into it.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong - just a theme from conversations.

Last edited:
Why would you expect that?

If that's the case, why don't westside kids have an interest in West Hi?
Well he did say being that close to Elder, so that's probably where the expectation came from.

West High is still a Division 1 School for football, so that means they still have a lot of boys in their school. So to answer your question, a lot of boys do have an interest in West Hi.

Obviously each family has their own preference, but which would you choose if you were a family living in Price Hill/Queensgate - Elder or West Hi/Elder or Taft?

Well he did say being that close to Elder, so that's probably where the expectation came from.

West High is still a Division 1 School for football, so that means they still have a lot of boys in their school. So to answer your question, a lot of boys do have an interest in West Hi.

Obviously each family has their own preference, but which would you choose if you were a family living in Price Hill/Queensgate - Elder or West Hi/Elder or Taft?
That's my point - I would probably choose Elder. But I wouldn't expect it to be the first choice even for a kid that lived by Elder if he had grown up in urban public schools. That's probably just as hard of a sell for that kid to go to Elder as it would a Catholic kid to go to West Hi or Oak Hills.

But as you mention, many within the neighborhood have not as Oak Hills and West Hi are very big schools with alot of boys that have not chosen Elder.

Yes, but we've known this for a long time. And while the Catholic reach has expanded, the athletic reach has not.

They're not pursuing it - yet no one seems to question why.
Honestly wouldn't say the Catholic reach has expanded. I would say their academic reach has expanded.

For anyone who had questions on whether OnTheLine85 was trey or not, just read a few of the posts on this thread. His race-baiting assumptions are running rampant and he's not even trying to hide it.
Huh? Race baiting?

Saying a kid who grew up in a more urban environment is more likely to want to go to Taft over Elder is race baiting?

Cmon man. That's ridiculous. Not going to accept that BS without calling it out.

I think it went over your head
No, your post was poorly worded. And I don’t think 5 years is really a “short” period of time. There’s going to be down cycles, but it sucks when the train is barreling down and there’s nowhere to move.

No, your post was poorly worded. And I don’t think 5 years is really a “short” period of time. There’s going to be down cycles, but it sucks when the train is barreling down and there’s nowhere to move.
No, it wasn’t. You guys were rambling on about how a down class can be a slippery slope. Clearly that wasn’t the case back then. The point is, one down class isn’t and won’t be the end of the world.

Kids there can also easily quit a sport in, let’s say fall, and play another sport in the fall the next year and get playing time. But those kids and the 3 sport athletes can do that for now. As the school continues to grow and draw better athletes, those same kids are going to face stiffer competition for spots on teams and playing time. Have to imagine that’ll be good for their athletics as a whole and kids there will take them at least a bit more seriously.

No, it wasn’t. You guys were rambling on about how a down class can be a slippery slope. Clearly that wasn’t the case back then. The point is, one down class isn’t and won’t be the end of the world.
I never said that, I explicitly said there’s a floor that keeps them from being really bad, but there’s a ceiling that makes sustained high levels of success incredibly difficult.

This is true about one friend and one acquaintance of mine that live in Harrison. They were both planning on sending their boys to Elder, but the logistics and costs of Harrison HS outweighed the benefits of Elder to their family. Neither of these families boys are "jocks", but they were still Elder families that made alternative choices.

The further west "elder" familes move won't make sense to make the drive into price Hill for many. It's just a fact of life.