Justin Braun - State Meet

Do you know if it was injury related, or did he decide to drop the 100 meters thinking it gives him a better shot at taking down both the 200 and 400 state records? Both of those are records I never expected to see broken and he has a shot at both.

Something big coming in the 400 from him, Im guessing. Gunning for Nelloms?

And Troy Lane looked fantastic in the semis.

Not a huge surprise. It was his weakest event, and he would have been facing a quadruple(1,4,2,4x4) on back to back days.

I agree with Lane 4. Not Justin's strength, despite being tied for #5 all-time US in the 60m. This is the toughest 100m year I've seen since 1990.

Figured he would come up lame. No Surprise here
What kind of lame remark is that? Justin's already proved himself on a big stage with his double-win at Indoor Nationals. I'm sure he's disappointed with having to withdraw from his last official HS comp for WC, but it is for the better in the long run.

Unconfirmed word is that there was a too-intense workout this week by an overzealous non-high school coach. Once again, unconfirmed.

I have a hard time believing that, but IF that were true, GEEZZZZZ. Championship week is when you relax the most and go into the meet RESTED. The old East German system would have their last hard speed work out 10 days from championship day. I wouldn't do anything more than 85-90% full speed, and no closer than 3 days out from Friday. All the work that needs to be done happens earlier in the season. At this point, it's all about maintenance and rest.

I still have a hard time believing it.

All I know is that an incredibly talented young athlete was unfortunately unable to compete at the state championships. That’s a bummer for us, and such a shame for him. I wish him well and hope he has a long and successful career moving forward. I will remember his triple crown at Hilliard Darby for a long time.

When I saw that he DNS in the 100, I figured it was more than dropping the 100 to try to take aim at the 200 and 400 state records, but held out hope that it was the case.

You gotta feel bad for the kid. He had an outside shot at breaking the state meet record, if not the overall state records, in all three of the 100, 200 and 400. On top of that, the sprint fields are so deep this year, he would have pushed the rest of the field to overall marks never seen before in Ohio sprinting. ... though those are still setting up to be historically fast even without him.

I think Lane from Pickerington Central still may break the 100 record (barring legal wind), but with Braun in the field, both them probably would have went sub 10.4, with the rest of this fast field clocking in under 10.6 (everybody in the finals is capable of that).

The 200 would have been even more ridiculous. If Braun would have ripped off a sub 20.5, he could have pushed Lane and Preston to sub 21 and the rest of the field to sub 21.5.

The 400 record was going to be toast. He nearly had it last week and he was in line to taking a run at sub 45.5. With the rest of the field giving chase, it could have pushed a couple into the 46s and 3-4 guys to the 47s and the entire field sub 48.5.

Plus, the 4x400 was setting up (and still could) to being a great race that would probably decide the team title. There is a not too far fetched scenario where Westerville Central entered that event at 28 points (Braun 2nd 100; 1st 200; and 1st 400 ... they could score a point or two in the 110s though); Pickerington Central (Lane 1st 100, 3rd 200, 1st 4x100); and Stow (Preston 3rd 100, 2nd 200, first 4x200) each at 24 points. Loveland could be in low 30s after the 3,200, meaning that all three would still be in the running for the team title WC, PC and Stow all in the 4x400 finals.

You could still have that scenario with Pickerington Central and Stow, but it's not the same especially if Braun were to get the baton out behind those teams to see what kind of split he could have ran to catch them. It probably would have been one of the greatest 400 splits in national high school history.

On the bright side, this D1 sprinting finals looks so deep that even without the top sprinter in the country in the field, we should still see some great times this afternoon. And as consistently good Lane and Preston have been this postseason, I'm not saying either are locks to finish where I had them above because the field is stacked.

You’re an a s s
Meant no Malice toward Justin, WC is our neighborhood HS and was hoping his point totals would be enough to bring them a State Runner up or even a Title. More a disappointment he was injured. Problem with texting or message boards sometimes post taken out of context.

Braun currently scheduled to run the 400 at the Brooks PR Invitational next Wednesday(6/15) in Seattle.