Football, recruiting and 9 p.m. bedtime: The life of a middle school QB

Maryland public schools are overall mediocre at football. This kid is from AA, where the best public any given year would maybe be on par with Aurora or Brunswick.

I don’t think private / public private separation and the ensuing ‘free market’ is the root cause of why the public programs are so bad. The demographics and cultural climate of that area just stands in the way of a compact, highly-competitive public ball circuit. The public perception toward football, arguments about safety, different things for kids to do, demographics (again)

Maryland public schools are overall mediocre at football. This kid is from AA, where the best public any given year would maybe be on par with Aurora or Brunswick.

I don’t think private / public private separation and the ensuing ‘free market’ is the root cause of why the public programs are so bad. The demographics and cultural climate of that area just stands in the way of a compact, highly-competitive public ball circuit. The public perception toward football, arguments about safety, different things for kids to do, demographics (again)

Ummm, public schools programs are NOT bad. Many are VERY good. It just happens that a very small handful of private schools take "advantage of their advantage" to a higher level.

Ummm, public schools programs are NOT bad. Many are VERY good. It just happens that a very small handful of private schools take "advantage of their advantage" to a higher level.
There is separation in ALL sports there . Football is just more extreme in the percentage of elite players going to privates . Know a lot about the culture there . Have family there and they had girl athletes who played soccer and lacrosse . A higher percentage of top level kids in those girls sports go to the privates . Their top public school soccer teams are not on par with Ohios best . A higher percentage of good players stay with their home team here .

I saw their team a handful of times and they went to a final four and a quarterfinal there . They saw a couple games here in Ohio and admitted they would have no chance of a deep playoff run here . Just a different level and culture of the better players leaving their publics more often in the DC/ Maryland area .

Last edited:
There is separation in ALL sports there . Football is just more extreme in the percentage of elite players going to privates . Know a lot about the culture there . Have family there and they had girl athletes who played soccer and lacrosse . A higher percentage of top level kids in those girls sports go to the privates . Their top public school soccer teams are not on par with Ohios best . A higher percentage of good players stay with their home team here .

I saw their team a handful of times and they went to a final four and a quarterfinal there . They saw a couple games here in Ohio and admitted they would have no chance of a deep playoff run here . Just a different level and culture of the better players leaving their publics more often in the DC/ Maryland area .

Thanks that was my bad. My comment was public v. private in general including OH, not Maryland specifically. NJ kinda went that route too, no? I hope OH avoids going that far.

This is developmentally inappropriate for a 14 year old. A 9 PM bedtime at that age for scholarship money? What awful parents, they obviously released this profile themselves. They don't look that poor to me. And his friends even wrote a letter to his mom asking them to ease up, so he's clearly unhappy. I hope Calvert Hall loses every game this year.

Thanks that was my bad. My comment was public v. private in general including OH, not Maryland specifically. NJ kinda went that route too, no? I hope OH avoids going that far.

Using the Aurora/Brunswick comparison, look at someone like Drew Allar as an example. Ed’s/Ignatius/Hoban etc could have been open in recruiting him. There would have been nothing Medina could do about it.

Outside of the phenom portion of the article which is fascinating in and of itself, I don’t think people who want separation understand what it truly would mean. You wouldn’t have to compete against them for a state championship, but they could also take even more of your kids then they do now

Guessing his parents are to young to know the name Todd Marinovich, if the kid does not end up a "Star" he will one day hate his parents for what he gave up of his youth.

This is developmentally inappropriate for a 14 year old. A 9 PM bedtime at that age for scholarship money? What awful parents, they obviously released this profile themselves. They don't look that poor to me. And his friends even wrote a letter to his mom asking them to ease up, so he's clearly unhappy. I hope Calvert Hall loses every game this year.
Going to bed at 9pm is a bad idea? My children went to bed at 9 in 8th grade, sleep is a good thing. Don't be judging parents everybody raises their children differently.

Going to bed at 9pm is a bad idea? My children went to bed at 9 in 8th grade, sleep is a good thing. Don't be judging parents everybody raises their children differently.
Okay? He's 14 and has said he's unhappy. His friends said he's unhappy because he can't socialize with them. He's old enough to make his own decisions. Has exactly zero to do with you and your parenting choices. This is to get him in a football career pipeline. 14 year olds should not get up at 5 AM, all the research shows it.

Okay? He's 14 and has said he's unhappy. His friends said he's unhappy because he can't socialize with them. He's old enough to make his own decisions. Has exactly zero to do with you and your parenting choices. This is to get him in a football career pipeline. 14 year olds should not get up at 5 AM, all the research shows it.
Did you read the same article?

Did you guys read the article his parents placed in the Washington Post to try to get colleges to notice him? It said his friends considered sending a petition to his mother in order for him to be allowed to play video games with them. He's 14 and a private school is getting him on the drill sergeant routine. Not healthy.

Mommy and daddy want a football star. 95% of the time they flame out before they even get to college. Gross parents, sorry. Consider me judgmental if you want. Hope it works out for him, but his parents can get effed.

Did you guys read the article his parents placed in the Washington Post to try to get colleges to notice him? It said his friends considered sending a petition to his mother in order for him to be allowed to play video games with them. He's 14 and a private school is getting him on the drill sergeant routine. Not healthy.

Mommy and daddy want a football star. 95% of the time they flame out before they even get to college. Gross parents, sorry. Consider me judgmental if you want. Hope it works out for him, but his parents can get effed.
What about your other quotes the one where he said he was unhappy? The petition was for him to stay up later to play video games not to play video games in general. The parents said he wants to do it. I agree sometimes these kids flame out but I didn't see anything in the article about the parents pushing the kid. Seemed like it was all his choice.

What about your other quotes the one where he said he was unhappy? The petition was for him to stay up later to play video games not to play video games in general. The parents said he wants to do it. I agree sometimes these kids flame out but I didn't see anything in the article about the parents pushing the kid. Seemed like it was all his choice.
OK, let's assume everything you're saying is true. Then the parents still suck for enabling this celebrity behavior.

You don't find anything strange about this? It's not "sometimes" that it doesn't work out -- it's 95%+ of the time. If he has the talent, then he doesn't need a WaPo profile and to be in the gym at 5 AM. I remember no shortage of parents transferring their kids out because little Johnny didn't make the basketball team, or getting into fisticuffs because Melissa wasn't the tennis star.

There's barely even any talent to measure... he's 14. Let him (or force him to) be a kid. Developmentally inappropriate. 99% chance of being Johnny Manziel with a 1% chance of being Tom Brady.

OK, let's assume everything you're saying is true. Then the parents still suck for enabling this celebrity behavior.

You don't find anything strange about this? It's not "sometimes" that it doesn't work out -- it's 95%+ of the time. If he has the talent, then he doesn't need a WaPo profile and to be in the gym at 5 AM. I remember no shortage of parents transferring their kids out because little Johnny didn't make the basketball team, or getting into fisticuffs because Melissa wasn't the tennis star.

There's barely even any talent to measure... he's 14. Let him (or force him to) be a kid. Developmentally inappropriate. 99% chance of being Johnny Manziel with a 1% chance of being Tom Brady.
youre fun at parties

I took in to consideration the fact the kid has an older brother and he was not forced to do the same thing that the parents are not full blown my kid is the next tom brady type of people. Why would they start with the second kid?

As for the celebrity behavior, the kid got an article written about him in the WAPO big deal. Unfortunately, these days it is not uncommon for a middle school kid to be featured in a newspaper article or in an online article. Just google top 8th grade player in any sport and all kinds of articles will pop up.

Can you say "Todd Maraninovich"
1651755539127.png

As an old school guy (meaning im just old) my first inclination is to find fault with everything about this story. But the fact is the world changes and that includes the world of high school and college athletics. There was nothing in this story that indicated the parents were pushing this kid against his will. Ive known a number of swimmers who were in the pool at 5-6am and I never heard anyone deriding them or their parents. This kid will receive a good education at a private school at a reduced cost due to scholarships. He will also have the opportunity to play at a high level which will increase his chances of landing a college scholarship. Bed time at 9pm makes sense if he is getting up at 5am for practice. That does not make these parents anywhere near like Todd Marionovich father. Now if the kids wasn't passionate about football and willing to work hard at the game then I think the parents are at fault. But there was nothing in the story that indicated that was the case.

Saint Edward has a strength coach who gets paid a stipend to go to middle school football games wearing St. Edward gear. If approached his job is to sell sell sell. You don’t believe me? Go ask the twins.