Here's a question?

For the past twenty years - give or take - I have muted commercials unless I am flipping to "the other channel". I generally read during that time.

Recent discovery: If I am watching Spectrum News and the station goes to commercial, the volume increase is incredible.

No wait. It's not the commercial. It's the station, which forces me to listen to programming at a higher than normal volume. (8-12 on the clicker vs. 4-6)

PBS is much worse though it does not have "like-kind" commercials. Check it out. So...maybe commercials are recorded at the same volume.

And, it's the stations that are out of sync. Except for auto dealer commercials, of course. :p

Last edited:
For the past twenty years - give or take - I have muted commercials unless I am flipping to "the other channel"...
Commercials seem to be getting worse. Are the Liberty Mutual Insurance commercials supposed to be funny? And, do we really need to see commercials with a Kardashian? They're already overexposed (pun intended).

Commercials seem to be getting worse. Are the Liberty Mutual Insurance commercials supposed to be funny? And, do we really need to see commercials with a Kardashian? They're already overexposed (pun intended).
Hate the LMI commercials and definitely mute them. Ignore the Kardashians. I am becoming my father. lol

Are the Liberty Mutual Insurance commercials supposed to be funny?
The one where the black woman says "How about a throwback?" and the white guy appears with some 80's breakdance moves is pretty funny.

Yeah, yeah - the CALM Act, etc. You'd think someone with an audio background could test the "commercials are louder" theory by by measuring and recording sound levels over the same time period and channels from 5 or 10 different TV's, and see if this "average sound level" actually jibes with the Act.

Anyone notice how different channels all have different sound levels? One thing I've noticed that HAS to be true is that the premium movie channels and maybe few others definitely broadcast lower sound levels overall than the standard cable and OTA channels, so that you have to boost the volume up to 80/100 to hear dialogue - and then have to turn it right back down during crashes and bangs and explosions. You watch the same movie on WGN, and their broadcast audio is compressed or compandered so that quiet conversation and gunfire are all relatively even, while the premium channels give you closer to what you'd hear in the theater.

Growing up, commercials didn't entertain. Now they at least attempt. The Nisson House commercials I like, though too much Mayfield on TV now.

As for volume, most sound systems have volume leveling or settings that emphasize voice or music. Might be of help. I hadn't noticed the volume problem. Now thanks to this thread, it will probably eat my nights.

Growing up, commercials didn't entertain. Now they at least attempt. The Nisson House commercials I like, though too much Mayfield on TV now.

As for volume, most sound systems have volume leveling or settings that emphasize voice or music. Might be of help. I hadn't noticed the volume problem. Now thanks to this thread, it will probably eat my nights.
I love the Heisman House commercials.

I also really like the Progressive commercials as if Browns Stadium is Baker's home.

I love the Heisman House commercials.

I also really like the Progressive commercials as if Browns Stadium is Baker's home.

I do too. Show a lot of humility. With him being on both, it's a bit of over-exposure. Probably just has a likable personality.

Ones I didn't like at first but are getting better and better are the Statefamr special rate commericals.

A one-hour show on one of the majors is just over 43 minutes of playing time the rest of the hour is commercials.
Been that way for awhile. I've got some old TV series on DVD. Sanford & Son episodes would come in around 25 min. while Married With Children would be around 23 min. The early episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger were a couple min. longer than the later seasons. The later seasons were around that 43 min. length that you mentioned.

Last edited:
We have Spectrum, and I have noticed that the commercials and shows have consistently similar volumes since the CALM act.

When we stream, though, if there are commercials on a particular site, they are often higher in volume.

I know stuffs starting to get real. Last week Mrs. Z started muting the Medicare Hotline commercials. I said, “ But honey- it’s Broadway Joe! Dy-no-mite!”
Think I saw William Shatner yesterday. Brother has started getting Medicare mail and he's over three years away. Have fun, bro!

Have you ever heard of a high school basketball team getting a technical called on them before the game even started?
Yup, incorrect or illegal jersey numbers is one way to do it. . Happened to us in the 70’s when I was in high school. Back then all the teams wore even numbers at home, odd numbers on the road. Our scorekeeper got mixed up one game, filled in the official book with the wrong numbers, so 12 admin technicals were issued. After shooting, the other team was leading 6-0 before the game had begun.

Girl's tournament game brought wrong uniforms were the away team brought home uniforms. Started game behind in the score and never caught up.
Whoops.

Have you ever heard of a high school basketball team getting a technical called on them before the game even started?
Saw an article from 1945 in which my school's head coach got them a "T" before the game due to incorrectly filling out the scorebook. It was his first game coaching after returning from nearly 2 years of WWII military service.

If an official enforces the rules to the letter, your team can get a technical if your coach has not supplied with the names, numbers, and starters to the scorekeeper at least 10 min. before tip-off.

Not pregame, but while a scorekeeper, I prevented a team from taking a technical. The coach was going to insert a player who he forgot to enter in the book. I informed the coach that the player wasn't in the book. He didn't want to take the technical, so he pulled the player back to the bench and apologized to the player for the mistake. The game was so out of reach that I might have let it slide, but I have my own coach to answer to in these situations. Coach would've noticed if the player's name was entered below where the referee had signed the book during pregame.