Most oddball matchup you can remember

The Moeller @ Ironton has me excited but as in most oddball recently was probably Hartley coming to Burg in ‘19 never see schools like that coming down south

So I did a little research. Since 1980, a Division 1 team has played a team in the lowest division (5 from '80-'93, 6 from '94-'12, 7 from '13-present) 104 times. I only did 1980 onwards because prior to that, there were only 3 divisions, and a D1 playing a D3 was commonplace. Half of those were in conference (Ashtabula St. John in the Northeastern Conference, Fenwick in the Mid-Miami, various instances in inner city leagues), so I filtered out conference games, and was left with the 52 below:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 6.08.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 6.08.16 PM.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 68
But Canadians teams coming down here always blew my mind. Someone told me they play 12 man up there
Depends on the province. BC plays American rules. The others that do play football play 12 man. The maritimes generally don't have hs football. But will have flag football.

As for the teams that come down now (football North, west Toronto Prep, Canada prep, etc) are basically travel teams that only play American rules and only play games against American teams. No games usually in Canada.

This past weekend in a game that only happened at the last minute due to a Covid cancellation, Bishop Watterson HS (located between 315 & I71 a few miles north of Ohio Stadium) made the trek NE to West Holmes HS (located in Holmes Co, between Millersburg & Nashville).

Not "oddball" in terms of size discrepancy (both are D3), but in just about any other demographic you can find, these folks were . . . different. And it was a great game.

Toledo Woodward back in the early 00s use to pick up schools like Holgate, Northwood and Cardinal Stritch annually. Woodward at that time was still big D2 / small D1 playing schools that were all D5 / D6.

Toledo Libbey (D2) around that same time played D6 Lakeside Danbury

Most recently Lima Senior D2 and LCC D6 matched up for the first time in football back in 2019.

While not a size differential, back in 1997 Lima Senior made the 202 mile trip to Niles McKinley in Week 10.

On the flip side in 2000 Lima Senior hosted Lake Central (IN). Where is Lake Central you ask? Try west of Gary, IN lol.

That was 10 years ago? Can't be. ?????
I remember that game. That might be the last time Canton CC played a regular season home game on a Sat. night. I miss those Sat. night home games. Reedsville Eastern's coach called earlier in the week to say that they had suffered some injuries and would be rather undermanned. In short, he was asking Canton CC to take it easy on them.

That game certainly ranks high on Canton CC's list of oddball opponents.

I remember that nobody knew who the heck University School was when they played the 1st of a 2-game series in 1992, but everyone quickly learned after losing 25-23 and ending up on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

Not counting playoff games or out-of-state opponents, the most oddball to me is St. X. The teams played in 1959 and 1960 with Canton CC winning both games. The '59 game was the season opener and was played at St. X. It is likely the farthest Canton CC has ever traveled to play a football game. Canton CC was obviously a much larger school back then. I don't know if St. X's enrollment back then was similar to their current enrollment. I'd forgotten about Canton CC's game against Winton Woods from a few years ago. That would also be among the most oddball opponents Canton CC ever played.

Canton CC also played a few games against Toledo opponents over the years. IIRC, on 1 of the away trips to Toledo, the team stayed overnight and attended a U. of Michigan game the next day before heading back to Canton. They may have traveled primarily by train for that trip.

Last edited:
In 2014, their final season before the school closed, D2 Canton Timken played non-conference games against D7 East Canton and D6 Dalton. They lost to Dalton 59-12.

In 2013 D6 St. Thomas Aquinas hosted D1 Youngstown East, and won 45-20.
I can top that for Timken. In 2007, the DII Timken Trojans played AT DVI Fort Loramie in week 10 and lost 53-15. Timken also played AT Lutheran East and hosted Africentric that year. The Trojans recorded wins against Lutheran East and Fairless that season. Lutheran East and Africentric also appeared on the '08 schedule with Timken again beating Lutheran East and losing to Africentric en route to a 3-7 campaign.

Last edited:
I can top that for Timken. In 2007, the DII Timken Trojans played AT DVI Fort Loramie in week 10 and lost 53-15. Timken also played AT Lutheran East and hosted Africentric that year. The Trojans recorded 2 wins against Lutheran East and Fairless that season. Lutheran East and Africentric also appeared on the '08 schedule with Timken again beating Lutheran East and losing to Africentric en route to a 3-7 campaign.
Those Timken football teams . . . oh boy. But they sure got their revenge when it came to basketball season!

These posts help me to remember a baseball tourney game back in 2013. I was helping out at Oxford Talawanda and we were hosting Cin Princeton in a Div1 game. Their coach got off their bus with this great big sigh of relief and said he had never been so far out in the "sticks" before. The city of Oxford is where Miami University is located and to get to Talawanda HS that bus would have had to pass numerous dorms and apartment complexes. Still laugh about it to this day.

That was 1990, I believe ... we kept having levies fail and fall sports were eventually cut. The community raised a bunch of money and the Northmont was eventually able to salvage a partial season. All but one captain went elsewhere (Brookville had a really good season with a bunch of T-Bolt transfers). Northmont played Minster, Belmont (twice, I believe), National Trail, and some other teams that I can't recall off hand. Strange year for sure.
I had some cousins who attended Northmont that year. They made some good money betting their classmates that Minster would beat Northmont, which they did (Northmont did have a lot of players transfer out that year).

Glenville played at Cadiz in 1985. JFK played at Marietta two straight years. JFK had a home field but couldn't get the Tigers to return the favor.

It's not an oddball match-up in the sense of D-I v D-6, in fact, it was the 1996 D-II state title game in Massillon. As our group entered the stadium we saw a ragtag Fostoria bunch strewn around their side of the field doing some "warm-ups." At the opposite end was Buchtel looking more like a college team. Buchtel was huge and fast, Fostoria looked like they had just woke up from a bender. If you didn't know that Fostoria was 12-1 you would have thought it was Notre Dame vs. Fostoria Junior High. Fostoria had Richard Newsome and some real tough kids and won 14-6.

Really odd to me is ESPN televising the IMG vs Bishop Sycamore game scheduled for this Sunday to be played at the Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. For many reasons, I don't think Bishop Sycamore is the best Ohio school for ESPN to showcase on National TV. Their history shows those associated with the school have a history of unpaid bills, fraud, warrants, and other crimes.

In 2014, their final season before the school closed, D2 Canton Timken played non-conference games against D7 East Canton and D6 Dalton. They lost to Dalton 59-12.

In 2013 D6 St. Thomas Aquinas hosted D1 Youngstown East, and won 45-20.
In 2012 Aquinas beat East 37-6. Physically beat them up. Aquinas had a TE that went D1. I believe Boston College. Aquinas also beat East in 81 by 2 TDs

Howland was originally scheduled to play Woodland Hills from the Pittsburgh area as part of the Herby Classic in 2008. This got changed to playing Klein Forest from suburban Houston, a school with about 3 times more enrollment.

In Week 1 in 2001 and 2002, D5 Parkway and D3 Philo played each other. 180 miles separate the two schools. Believe both games were played on Saturday afternoons. Parkway won both games. In 2003, Parkway began playing Crestview in Week 1, and have every year since (excluding 2020).

In 2004, D4 Coldwater played D3 Dublin Jerome at home in Week 4. The Cavaliers won 49-0. It was the 1st year in existence for Dublin Jerome.
In 2008, D4 Coldwater played D1 Kokomo (IN) at home and won 41-7.

In 2008, D6 New Bremen hosted D3 Olentangy Orange. It was the 1st year in existence for Olentangy Orange.

Last edited:
As I've pointed out twice so far, the D1 Cincinnati Western Hills Mustangs are traveling to the tiny, one stop-light having, D7 Lucas Cubs. It is the only D1vD7 occurance in the state of Ohio this season.

Western Hills: 767 boys
Lucas: 82 boys
That’s deceiving. Western Hills may only have 82 boys actually in school on any given day. Even match up.

In 87 we had a team from Michigan come in to play us Vikings, spent the whole week here went to classes with us and practiced with us , we beat the out of them , that was when Mancuso field was lush green that’s all I can remember them players talking about was how beautiful the stadium was and green the grass was

It's not an oddball match-up in the sense of D-I v D-6, in fact, it was the 1996 D-II state title game in Massillon. As our group entered the stadium we saw a ragtag Fostoria bunch strewn around their side of the field doing some "warm-ups." At the opposite end was Buchtel looking more like a college team. Buchtel was huge and fast, Fostoria looked like they had just woke up from a bender. If you didn't know that Fostoria was 12-1 you would have thought it was Notre Dame vs. Fostoria Junior High. Fostoria had Richard Newsome and some real tough kids and won 14-6.
Fostoria had some solid teams back then for sure.

Those Timken football teams . . . oh boy. But they sure got their revenge when it came to basketball season!
I remember how much all of the PAC posters except PITman complained about Timken when they got their boys basketball program turned around, but it was OK to have Timken in the league as a bottom feeder in every other sport and give their teams a chance to compete at such notable venues as Fawcett, the Fieldhouse, and Don Scott Field.

So I did a little research. Since 1980, a Division 1 team has played a team in the lowest division (5 from '80-'93, 6 from '94-'12, 7 from '13-present) 104 times. I only did 1980 onwards because prior to that, there were only 3 divisions, and a D1 playing a D3 was commonplace. Half of those were in conference (Ashtabula St. John in the Northeastern Conference, Fenwick in the Mid-Miami, various instances in inner city leagues), so I filtered out conference games, and was left with the 52 below:

Make it 50. The early 90s Stritch/Waite games were Toledo City League games, Stritch was in it until 1994.

This past weekend in a game that only happened at the last minute due to a Covid cancellation, Bishop Watterson HS (located between 315 & I71 a few miles north of Ohio Stadium) made the trek NE to West Holmes HS (located in Holmes Co, between Millersburg & Nashville).

Not "oddball" in terms of size discrepancy (both are D3), but in just about any other demographic you can find, these folks were . . . different. And it was a great game.

Catholics vs Amish

That may take the cake here. Lol

In 2003, D5 Patrick Henry played at (and beat) D2 Jackson.

194 miles and 3.5 hours between the schools, both came in 7-1.

Last year Riverside (Painesville) came down and played Little Miami on a Friday afternoon around 3 pm because both did have a game for that week due to Covid rescheduling. Did not go well for the Panthers