OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

False. It makes the regular season worthless. I've said that for many years

Making the playoffs should be an achievement. But in 2021 everyone needs a participation trophy
I can't wait to see all of the morons saying "Kids these days always need a participation trophy!" when it was the old heads at the OHSAA, not any kids anywhere, who pushed for this to happen

I can't wait to see all of the morons saying "Kids these days always need a participation trophy!" when it was the old heads at the OHSAA, not any kids anywhere, who pushed for this to happen
Correct. But that mentality has trickled into people of all ages now. We are more worried about not offending people that we are of standing up for things

Making the playoffs should be an achievement. But in 2021 everyone needs a participation trophy
Why? It's the only sport in Ohio where you qualify for the playoffs anyways, and who really cares it gives the teams one extra game a year too.

Why? It's the only sport in Ohio where you qualify for the playoffs anyways, and who really cares it gives the teams one extra game a year too.
Which is what made it the best regular season ! You had to earn your way in!

Mentor plays Eds and Ignatius now every year. And a bunch of other good teams. Those games meant a lot because if you lose them, you could miss the playoffs. There were stakes

Now everyone in d1 makes it and it's completely meaningless. No stakes. If you lose , oh well you're in the playoffs.

The vast majority will make it now. Teams like mentor and iggy and eds will never miss now

Ehh not really. You still have marquis regular season matchups in Baseball, Basketball ect and they all go to the playoffs. I know in Indiana everyone goes and in KY, I believe all you need is a +.500 record.

Ehh not really. You still have marquis regular season matchups in Baseball, Basketball ect and they all go to the playoffs. I know in Indiana everyone goes and in KY, I believe all you need is a +.500 record.
And if you win or lose those matchups it really doesn't matter. The stakes are non existent because you'll make the playoffs anyways

Reactions: y2h
Seeding I guess?
To a point but sometimes you can get a harder second round matchup as a 1 vs being the 2 as well. Especially when dealing with teams that schedule tough like privates , mentor , pc etc. Mentor has often had to go through both iggy and eds as a 1 seed while the 2 or 3 got easier roads

The schools won't get any gate money. OHSAA takes all of the money for playoff games and gives schools a laughable percentage of presale ticket sales and lets them charge for parking and concessions. It's a complete money grab by the OHSAA that doesn't help schools at all
Exactly this.

Then don't watch if it's such a big deal to you, I'm sure a lot of schools will enjoy making it into the playoffs.
Great retort...

Its a big deal when something is ruined that you care about. The regular season is now meaningless especially in D1

Yeah I'm sure plenty of people enjoy being handed free stuff instead of earning it. It won't be an accomplishment to make the playoffs and those teams who get in with pathetic records will get killed

The OHSAA is a joke. You don’t do this in a sport where kids have to physically hit each other. How many kids on a 16 seeds are going get annihilated before schools just quit and say we don’t want to play the game?

There is a big difference between a so-so 8 seed playing a 1 seed, and a straight up BAD 16 seed playing 1 seed. You can trick kids on an 8 seed into thinking they have a chance of an upset, good luck with the 16 seed, they are like a prisoner going to an execution.

12 teams would work because of the bye, this will not work because it’s based on greed. This is just straight up a bad idea unless the only goal was for playoff revenues, and watch that fall when the novelty of the playoffs wears off and people don’t want to watch a blowout in the cold weather.

all time dumb decision, time to disband the OHSAA.

I am guessing that most the kids on a 1-9 or 2-8 would rather the season end versus playing the best team in the region. If they had a way to play another week in a game they would be competitive they might feel differently.
I think you will see a lot of forfeited games, maybe not year 1 but eventually. It’s a no win situation for those teams.

one thing of interest here, this came from an athletic trainer. these kids who play for a state title will have played 16 games. Even division 1 college doesn't play that many. I asked them what they preferred, and they felt something similar to last year but maybe 8 regular season games with open playoffs or 16 teams.

Just some food for thought as changes continue

I am really struggling to understand how any coaches or schools could remotely support this. As we all know, football games bring in revenue. We also know, that ticket sales have been dwindling for years (before COVID). That was when the regular season meant something. This will DEFINITELY mean less attendance and less revenue for football teams. There is ZERO draw anymore for the casual fan. Casual fans love to go to games with playoff implications. Die-hards will go see a different team (if it's on a different night) for the same reason. Schools are going to see this affected deeply in their athletic budgets and their decreased revenue. At first, they will say it's all COVID related still, but as the crowds get smaller each and every year, they will then realize what I am saying.

I also am willing to bet that this may not make OHSAA any more money than a typical year for the same reasons. Playoff games are packed with casual fans, not now.... nobody wants to pay money so see a team get blown out of the water. Heck, many parents don't even want to pay to see that (regardless of which side of the blowout your team is on).

This is an absolute travesty.

Not a fan.
They should have given the 12 team version a chance.

I liked the 12 team because I felt too many 7-8 win teams didnt make it and this allowed them to compete against 5-8 to prove their worth and get into the final 8 per region.
I'm gonna agree with you that they should've given the 12 team setup at least a year trial.

I wasn't a fan of byes, but it was approved. Should've tested it out.

This just tells me OHSAA is DESPERATE for money.