Augusta or Pebble Beach

Here's a question that we were discussing on the course today. If Golf God paid you a visit and gave you the choice of playing Augusta or Pebble Beach, for free, which one would you choose?

Retirement coming up in late May. Wonder if Mrs. Ones would be willing to surprise me with a golf trip............. One can dream.

Didn't play Pebble Beach but walked it with a friend of mine from Salinas. He was the golfer and I the caddy. Damn, thinking of it now that was over 30 years ago. Think I'll go back to sleep.

“Golf has too much walking to be a good game,
and just enough game to spoil a good walk.”

- Harry Leon Wilson

Novelist (Ruggles of Red Gap)

:>---

SALT

The remarkable thing about Pebble is that it isn't even the best course on the Monterey Peninsula. That distinction goes to Cypress Point.

I was going to comment the same.

Coolest part of Pebble Beach is this. Go there for work once a year and the first time no one gave me a heads up. It was very cool to see in person.

If you haven't read it already, grab a copy of The Match. It's about a match Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson played against Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward at Cypress Point back in the 50's. Great read.

Jimmy Dolittle lived at Pebble Beach. Every year on his birthday a B-24 would make a flyover of his home.

Neither though Augusta would be at #2. #1 for me is Pine Valley in NJ. A friend's dad got to play there once and he said it was like no other course he has played, exceedingly difficult for an average golfer but then again the visual routing was picturesque on every hole. Each hole is unique and he was amazed that anyone could figure out the routing that this course has which is over 100 years old. Some of the basic principals when it was designed: No hole should be laid out parallel to the next; no more than two consecutive holes should play in the same direction; and players shouldn't be able to see any hole other than the one they were playing. The architect also felt that a round of golf on this course should require a player to use every club in the bag.

a5ec7d6564d263584905507748f44694.jpg

Been to Monterey Peninsula enough to know there is a 50/50 chance the experience can be miserable weather wise. That marine layer can make for a cold dreary round and many times its a guess as to where your ball ends up. Don't get me wrong, an incredible course just I like to enjoy when I play around at a notable course and not have to be worried about not being able to see it while playing. Another course that is like this is St. Andrews. The weather is very unpredictable and American have no clue that they are basically playing on concrete when they get to the course.

If I were a golfer instead of a flogger I can say two things about any course I might play.
First, the cost per stroke would be unbelievably low and second, I would get to see much more of the course than anyone else.

Neither though Augusta would be at #2. #1 for me is Pine Valley in NJ. A friend's dad got to play there once and he said it was like no other course he has played, exceedingly difficult for an average golfer but then again the visual routing was picturesque on every hole. Each hole is unique and he was amazed that anyone could figure out the routing that this course has which is over 100 years old. Some of the basic principals when it was designed: No hole should be laid out parallel to the next; no more than two consecutive holes should play in the same direction; and players shouldn't be able to see any hole other than the one they were playing. The architect also felt that a round of golf on this course should require a player to use every club in the bag.

Been to Monterey Peninsula enough to know there is a 50/50 chance the experience can be miserable weather wise. That marine layer can make for a cold dreary round and many times its a guess as to where your ball ends up. Don't get me wrong, an incredible course just I like to enjoy when I play around at a notable course and not have to be worried about not being able to see it while playing. Another course that is like this is St. Andrews. The weather is very unpredictable and American have no clue that they are basically playing on concrete when they get to the course.

Number one on many lists for a long time.

^ This strikes me as the most interesting. No clowns to the left of me, no jokers on the right. And, here am I.

The total description makes this course indeed sound incredible.

Check out that bunker on the fourth pic. Yikes!

About 20 years back (this time of the year) I was doing a job and training some guys in GA. I was looking forward to getting back to my wife and little ones at home when a guy ask if I wanted to play Augusta with him tomorrow, I would have to stay a extra day so I turned him down...he looked at me like I was nuts.

And the best part is they don't want to host any high level tournaments and don't allow anyone on the course without an invite from a member so the course is kind of an enigma to the general public. Here is a bit about the Crump Cup, the only event open to the public:

The Crump Cup is an invitational golf tournament for amateurs. The first tournament was held in 1922. It is named for George Arthur Crump, and is played on the grounds of Pine Valley Golf Club, which Crump founded. The format for the four days is two rounds of stroke play, qualifying, followed by two rounds of match play. The final round has traditionally held on the last Sunday in September. Jay Sigel has won the event the most times, with nine victories between 1975 and 1993.

Since at least the 1970s, the public can, on the day of the final round, tour the golf course and view tournament play. This is the only day each year on which the public has access to the grounds of the club. Visitors park at the nearby Clementon Amusement Park, where a local youth athletic association charges $25 per car. Yellow school buses then take fans on a five-minute ride down a secluded side road, away from amusement park, and unload in a gravel parking lot in the woods. Visitors are not allowed to bring in cameras, video recorders, or cell phones.

This place isn't for the 1%, its for the .001%.