Recent content by SteelValley

1. SteelValley

Division II - Canton Regional

Boardman is down in football, but I wouldn’t paint a broad brush of Boardman Athletics being down. They still are near the top locally all-around as an athletic program. Track, CC, Swimming and Bowling are excellent and arguably tops in the valley and among the best in NEO D1. Baseball and...
  2. SteelValley

2024 Schedules - Division II

Boardman vs Mooney now moved to Saturday 9/28 AT Boardman. There was a scheduling conflict @ YSU with Fitch-Ursuline already scheduled the same night.
  3. SteelValley

Federal League 2023-2024

They also said Perry was “dominating” at the half up 35-33.
  4. SteelValley

Canfield 2024, Coach Pavlansky retires.

Also funny because I don’t believe the home (non-neutral) playoff games started until the late 90’s when they expanded the field to 8 per region.
  5. SteelValley

DJ Ogilvie had them in a very good spot in late 2000’s where they were close to the high level of the 80’s to early 00’s. The last 15 years (half of which was under Ignazio) has been stuck in mediocrity or below. But, they haven’t been lacking talent most years. Most years it hasn’t been a case...
  6. SteelValley

I can’t say anything negative about Ignazio as a person and he did a solid job overall keeping kids in Boardman. But, his gameday coaching was below average. Head-scratching playcalls/gameplans. And he had pretty good talent most of the years at Boardman and still couldn’t get over the 6 win...
  7. SteelValley

Regular season matchups you'd like to see!

Big Red would hang with Aliquippa. You have to remember Aliquippa is still only the enrollment equivalent of a D6 school. They’ve been state champ/runner-up in D3 equivalent, but so has Big Red. They’ve got some great talent but it’s still a relatively small roster when you only have 40-50...
  8. SteelValley

For most classifications the WPIAL sets 8-9 games between section games and some planned crossovers between sections in same class. So Aliquippa may have 1-2 games to actually pick who they play. Makes it hard if you have a few local rivals not in your section/class. A lot of good old western pa...
  9. SteelValley

Would love to see Louisville-Boardman. Would be a great regularly scheduled series. We seem to be playing regularly in a lot of other sports maybe eventually.
  10. SteelValley

Future of Boardman Football

I don’t know I’d say Boardman doesn’t care about football. What do Canfield, Poland or South Range do as a school district that Boardman doesn’t from a financial commitment? Fitch I agree has gone all-in on athletic spending, but I think OE is a pretty big help too. I’ve actually heard...
  11. SteelValley

Week 9: Austintown Fitch (4-3) vs Boardman (1-7)

Boardman’s lines (both) play has been horrendous this year. The worst I’ve ever seen on being physically overmatched regardless of opponent. When you can’t stop anyone’s run or establish your own running game you aren’t going to win many games. Where Boardman had been pretty good was passing...
  12. SteelValley

I mentioned this on another thread but Boardman needs to shut down the losing kids after 8th grade. The talent is still good in the school system, but there’s probably 10-15 kids who went to Glenwood Jr High on other HS football rosters and several are or will be big impact players. As an...
  13. SteelValley

Did you watch on YSN? Should’ve watched via the BSTN YouTube channel. They broadcast every home game w/o announcers. I appreciate YSN gives us some more access to watch games, but the quality of video and announcing for most games is horrible.
  14. SteelValley

Boardman @ Dover

Haha. If he can help keep athletes in Boardman schools after 8th grade instead of going to Ursuline and Mooney (heck we even lost a good one to Chaney this past year) then bring him on board. The talent is there in Boardman, but the coaches, athletic dept and school need to figure out a way to...
  15. SteelValley

Boardman @ Dover

Boardman’s biggest issue this year is the inability to stop the run at all. It’s probably been the worst run defense I’ve ever seen at Boardman. And you won’t win many games, especially vs a good schedule, not stopping the run. Similarly they don’t run block overly well, so it’s a struggle to...