Recent content by Coach_B

1. C

Junior High Track Scheduling Question

Here's the background. I'm an enthusiastic track dad here. Covered HS track and field for more than 25 years. Loved it. Been around state champs, NCAA and Olympic trials qualifiers and Hall of Fame coaches while I was in the newspaper biz before getting out while the getting was good. Daughter...
  2. C

D7 R25 2023

Since the tournament split from its original 3 class system in 1980, schools from the Northwest Athletic District (which includes every MAC school but Versailles), have won 33 state titles in the smallest classification (12 different schools), have been runners up 20 times (14 different schools)...
  3. C

D7 R25 2023

Dalton was certainly a top level team in Division VII. I would venture to say, though, Dalton would be in a dogfight with other teams in northwest, west central Ohio for the 2-5 spots like Patrick Henry, McComb, Hopewell-Loudon and Minster (all past champs or state runners up by the way). It's a...
  4. C

Most Wins Against an Opponent without a Loss?

Not so fast my friends. That Vanlue-Arlington series record is BVC only. Vanlue did beat the Red Devils when they were members of the Hancock County League from 1923-64.
  5. C

OHSAA State programs, etc free

Doing some downsizing. I have I don't know 15 or so state wrestling tournament programs. I'd rather give them away to someone who wants them rather than taking them to the curb. They date back to 1986, not a complete set but a bunch. All in terrific condition. I also have a 1985 or 1986 signed...
  6. C

Northwest Ohio Realignment

Can't let this thread slip off the front page. :) Down to, probably, its last option, I've been told the SBC said, thanks, but no thanks to L-B's inquiry.
  7. C

NWC 2023

I've been disappointed with the way McComb travels for football the past several years, until they reach the state final. Pandora-Gilboa and Arlington do travel well. L-B doesn't travel (or have home crowds) nearly what they were several years ago, then again, who does?
  8. C

NWC 2023

I can see where some folks in Ada might want to make a move from their current situation. That said, with Paulding leaving the conference Ada has become the doormat in many NWC sports. They had a solid stretch for football, a nice run when Chris Sautter was there in boys hoops, decent boys...
  9. C

Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

A little media "inside baseball" the Blade ALWAYS had a Defiance football picture in its Saturday morning sports pages in the fall in the 1980s. Why? at that time the Crescent News was a 6-day-a-week paper that printed on Sundays but not Saturdays. They thought it would be another reason for...
  10. C

80s-90s Fostoria Redmen

Kidwell was the OWE teacher at Fostoria.
  11. C

Probably deserves its own thread. Vanlue out of BVC in football
  12. C

2022 Division VII All-Ohio Football Teams

It's historically been based on the OHSAA's boundaries for its athletic districts. In Division I there have always been very few teams from the NW District in comparison to the SW and NE, but they too get first team and second team all-district selections to feed into the all-Ohio teams.
  13. C

Putting this back on Page 1 I've been told L-B had a coaches meeting recently to discuss league options. They are few between. The primary options are joining the small school NLL, which would be suicide in the boys sports or the SBC's middle division, in which the closest trip would be...
  14. C

2022 Division VII All-Ohio Football Teams

A little inside baseball from someone who has actually ran a couple of all-Ohio meetings after the OPSWA took it over from the AP. The media from each OHSAA athletic district names an all-district team, NE, NW, SW, E, SE, C and there's an added bonus of a NE Inland all-district team separate...
  15. C

I'll take it a little further, being a kid from Fostoria who grew up there in 70s and 80s. At least in my family, and many others in town, your mom, grandma, grandpa, aunts and uncles worked at Autolite, Carbon or one of the other plants in town. When those jobs dried up because of NAFTA and...