The Official 2024 Reds season thread

Not the outcome we wanted last night, but I thought at least for the first 4-5 innings, the at bats were much better. Fairchild got a nice hit to score the first run, but then was thrown out trying for two. We had 3 more hits that inning. Maybe a big innings flushed away.

Today's winning lineup!
1715274412541.png

That's hard to believe that a team that went wire-to-wire had two 1-9 stretches but hey I guess it's possible!
It's very possible. My point was that because baseball has 162 games, we forget so many of the downs of seasons and just remember the good. I'm certainly not saying this team is going to win the world series, but the crowd that want's to blow things up and call this a bust is simply not in tune with baseball. We are still a very young team with a lot of potential growth. And I say potential because we don't know how any of these guys are going to end up. We hope there is a Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in there, or a Brandon Phillips, but we may have some Nick Senzels and Robert Stephensons, It's always been that way in baseball.

Hunter Greene not good today. 5 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs, walked 5, 6 K's.
Don’t deflect, the lineup sucks. I’ve been a defender of Bell but my god, this team makes regarded decisions. EDLC getting thrown out trying to steal 3rd, down 2? Regarded.

Reds lose 5-4. 8 losses in a row.

Is this upcoming road trip critical for David Bell's job?
It probably should be. This team is so piss poor fundamentally, I don’t know how it’s not on the Mgr. It’s one thing to suck, but these constant dumb mother f’n mistakes are inexcusable.

It probably should be. This team is so piss poor fundamentally, I don’t know how it’s not on the Mgr. It’s one thing to suck, but these constant dumb mother f’n mistakes are inexcusable.
For me, first and foremost I always hold the players accountable because they are the ones making the errors, lapses in judgement. We'll always applaud a hustle play even if evidence shows that a good throw would had got the player out, so we have to be able to give some grace.

My big issue with Bell has always been his lack of transparency in just about everything. The building he's standing in could be burning down and he would say everything is fine. I know we are not privy to what's going on the locker room, but as much as we hear from the players on just about everything these days, if Bell was a raving lunatic in the clubhouse, we'd hear about it and all we hear is how great he is and how he's a players manager. Maybe it's time for a kick in the seat of some of these guys? Motivation looks different to everyone.

Again today, We give up 5 total, Greene gives up 3. This is about 85% on the offense. We've got and continue to get good pitching. Bell's moved the lineup around, we've been aggressive. It's just hard when you hit so poorly to score runs. We got 4 today and that's been the most we've had in 10 days.

For me, first and foremost I always hold the players accountable because they are the ones making the errors, lapses in judgement. We'll always applaud a hustle play even if evidence shows that a good throw would had got the player out, so we have to be able to give some grace.

My big issue with Bell has always been his lack of transparency in just about everything. The building he's standing in could be burning down and he would say everything is fine. I know we are not privy to what's going on the locker room, but as much as we hear from the players on just about everything these days, if Bell was a raving lunatic in the clubhouse, we'd hear about it and all we hear is how great he is and how he's a players manager. Maybe it's time for a kick in the seat of some of these guys? Motivation looks different to everyone.

Again today, We give up 5 total, Greene gives up 3. This is about 85% on the offense. We've got and continue to get good pitching. Bell's moved the lineup around, we've been aggressive. It's just hard when you hit so poorly to score runs. We got 4 today and that's been the most we've had in 10 days.
But when the players are constantly making fundamental mistakes, that falls on the mgr.

Reds lose 5-4. 8 losses in a row.

Is this upcoming road trip critical for David Bell's job?
He should’ve been fired after 2021. So I’m not holding my breath that he’ll be removed anytime soon, no matter how dire it gets. It’s possible the hitting coach(es) takes the fall at some point and MAYBE Bell gets removed at the end of the season if it’s a poor season.

He should’ve been fired after 2021. So I’m not holding my breath that he’ll be removed anytime soon, no matter how dire it gets. It’s possible the hitting coach(es) takes the fall at some point and MAYBE Bell gets removed at the end of the season if it’s a poor season.
Bell signed a 3 year extension in July of '23. I just don't see him being removed.

Unfortunately I agree with you. He rode the coattails of Steer, McLain and Elly exploding onto the scene and cashed in on his deal, and I do not see Ebeneezer Castellini paying two manager salaries for 18-24 months.
It's bad business to sign a guy to an extension then less than a year later move on? I don't consider that cheap at all. I was talking to a co-worker today. Krall / Bell seem to be in lockstep with the analytics/ the way the game is played now (not that I agree) but that makes me feel there isn't an issue there. I'm really not even sold anymore the manager makes much of a difference. My main knock on Bell is he's BORING!!! I mean put yourself in front of him in the clubhouse for 6 months. Does he fire you up and make you want play hard? It's been that way since day 1 with him. And I realize you can't coach baseball like football. But some live, some kind of passion I think would rub off on the players.

It's bad business to sign a guy to an extension then less than a year later move on? I don't consider that cheap at all. I was talking to a co-worker today. Krall / Bell seem to be in lockstep with the analytics/ the way the game is played now (not that I agree) but that makes me feel there isn't an issue there. I'm really not even sold anymore the manager makes much of a difference. My main knock on Bell is he's BORING!!! I mean put yourself in front of him in the clubhouse for 6 months. Does he fire you up and make you want play hard? It's been that way since day 1 with him. And I realize you can't coach baseball like football. But some live, some kind of passion I think would rub off on the players.
Yes, it is not good business to give a guy an extension and then fire him 12 months later. That's why I agreed with you. It is also bad business to give a so-so manager a 3 year extension because a few young players got hot for 6 weeks.

Bell did lead the MLB in ejections with 7 in 2023. That's not boring.

Bell signed a 3 year extension in July of '23. I just don't see him being removed.
He won't get fired while under contract unless he stops toeing the company line a la Marvin Lewis for so long.

Owners know when they have a patsy leading a team who won't Rebel again get ownership.

Castedouchebag wants someone that will just accept whatever sack of garbage he gives the big league club.

Yes, it is not good business to give a guy an extension and then fire him 12 months later. That's why I agreed with you. It is also bad business to give a so-so manager a 3 year extension because a few young players got hot for 6 weeks.

Bell did lead the MLB in ejections with 7 in 2023. That's not boring.
Yes it is. And Bell's ejections are comical. He first argues balls and strikes which you cannot do, so he's doing it for a purpose, then he goes into this fake tirade pointing at the ground and grabbing his hat. The Reds should at least send him somewhere for some acting lessons so we can at least get fooled to thinking he's really mad.

Anyone notice that every day 14Red posts the "winning lineup" the Reds don't win. He missed it yesterday, and we win. Stop posting lineups.
I didn't post today, and we lost. Nice try wolves.

BTW, this offense is just a joke. I mean Mike Ford wasn't even good enough to be on the team last week, released. Now he's hitting 3rd??? Call me goofy, but Candelario is one of our hottest bats now, put him back up in the 3 hole. We just can't keep running into outs either. I know, I know, I like the aggressiveness, but you've got to have some restraint/ situation. 4th inning was the killer tonight, IMO. With 1 out, Steer his hit by a pitch, Fraley then goes down the right field line, the play is RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. Minimally, you should have first and third, one out. Instead, Fraley gets thrown out at 2nd and Stephenson grounds out. Inning over.

I didn't post today, and we lost. Nice try wolves.

BTW, this offense is just a joke. I mean Mike Ford wasn't even good enough to be on the team last week, released. Now he's hitting 3rd??? Call me goofy, but Candelario is one of our hottest bats now, put him back up in the 3 hole. We just can't keep running into outs either. I know, I know, I like the aggressiveness, but you've got to have some restraint/ situation. 4th inning was the killer tonight, IMO. With 1 out, Steer his hit by a pitch, Fraley then goes down the right field line, the play is RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. Minimally, you should have first and third, one out. Instead, Fraley gets thrown out at 2nd and Stephenson grounds out. Inning over.
I'm a sane person so I realized it was not the posts. Just an attempt at humor and grasping at straws here. Reds have to start hitting soon. like now...

Let's acknowledge what this slump has done. At 17-22, not the end of the world, but we now need to go 70-53 the rest of the way to get 87 wins. Nothing I have seen (except the starting pitching) looks like a 70-53 team. but going 65-58 the rest of the way results in 82-80, which is not good enough. 70-53 needs to be the goal.

I know, one day at a time, but that one day needs to start today.

It's very possible. My point was that because baseball has 162 games, we forget so many of the downs of seasons and just remember the good. I'm certainly not saying this team is going to win the world series, but the crowd that want's to blow things up and call this a bust is simply not in tune with baseball. We are still a very young team with a lot of potential growth. And I say potential because we don't know how any of these guys are going to end up. We hope there is a Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in there, or a Brandon Phillips, but we may have some Nick Senzels and Robert Stephensons, It's always been that way in baseball.
The point is they didn’t have two stretches of 1-9 and stay in first place wire-to-wire. Of course it’s possible but you didn’t say that you don’t have to use unnecessary hyperbole to prove a point.

This Red’s lineup is more disgusting than a Planned Parenthood dumpster. Holy f**k why is Stephenson not in the lineup at all? And Friedl is now out for the yr. F**k this whole f’n thing.

The week ending Sunday May 12th was not kind to our beloved Reds. They were swept in a home three game series with the Dbacks before dropping 2 of 3 at San Fran to finish 1-5 for week. In the last 10, the Reds are 1-9.

On the season they are 17-23 good for fourth place in the NL Central, 7 games back of the first place Brewers and 3 1/2 out of a wild card spot. They are on track for 68 wins for the season. Same date a year ago the Reds were 17-21 and 4 games out of first.

Cincy bats stay anemic, and the once solid starting pitching is showing signs of mediocrity. Not a good mix as the Reds stay on the road for 3 at Arizona then 4 at Chez Ravine.

Honestly the Reds could be eliminated as serious contenders by the time they return home. All fans can do is enjoy baseball for the sake of baseball. There is always hope the next game will start the turnaround.

The week ending Sunday May 12th was not kind to our beloved Reds. They were swept in a home three game series with the Dbacks before dropping 2 of 3 at San Fran to finish 1-5 for week. In the last 10, the Reds are 1-9.

On the season they are 17-23 good for fourth place in the NL Central, 7 games back of the first place Brewers and 3 1/2 out of a wild card spot. They are on track for 68 wins for the season. Same date a year ago the Reds were 17-21 and 4 games out of first.

Cincy bats stay anemic, and the once solid starting pitching is showing signs of mediocrity. Not a good mix as the Reds stay on the road for 3 at Arizona then 4 at Chez Ravine.

Honestly the Reds could be eliminated as serious contenders by the time they return home. All fans can do is enjoy baseball for the sake of baseball. There is always hope the next game will start the turnaround.
It’s not turning around. You can’t win with a AAA lineup.

I'm a sane person so I realized it was not the posts. Just an attempt at humor and grasping at straws here. Reds have to start hitting soon. like now...

Let's acknowledge what this slump has done. At 17-22, not the end of the world, but we now need to go 70-53 the rest of the way to get 87 wins. Nothing I have seen (except the starting pitching) looks like a 70-53 team. but going 65-58 the rest of the way results in 82-80, which is not good enough. 70-53 needs to be the goal.

I know, one day at a time, but that one day needs to start today.
It's mid May, let's not start counting wins, just keep playing. We keep getting this good starting pitching and things will turn around.

Also, and I know no one wants to talk about this yet, but this team/ franchise is a work in progress probably more than maybe either of our lifetimes. This is 2-3 veterans trying to continue to build a career, and a bunch of kids learning to ropes of major league baseball. I'm already hearing that we need to make trades and move people...we're not even 2 full months into this season.
Wise Reds fans have to be in for the long haul on this one.

It's mid May, let's not start counting wins, just keep playing. We keep getting this good starting pitching and things will turn around.

Also, and I know no one wants to talk about this yet, but this team/ franchise is a work in progress probably more than maybe either of our lifetimes. This is 2-3 veterans trying to continue to build a career, and a bunch of kids learning to ropes of major league baseball. I'm already hearing that we need to make trades and move people...we're not even 2 full months into this season.
Wise Reds fans have to be in for the long haul on this one.
What wins? The Pitching is great but holy lord, the lineup is trash.