3. Logan Mershman (CG)
4. Clayton McClain (Ada) - state qualifier
5. Kyle Lathrop (CG)
6. Zayden Martin
7. Kyle Basil (Bluffton)
8. Ethan Beam (CG)
9. Gavin Grubb (Crestview)
10. Boat Thompson (CG)
what you hearing about the incoming freshman class for the nwc?

Columbus Grove seems to be the cream of the crop here. What does Allen East have returning?
I know they lost their two big guns to graduation but wasn't sure if they have some guys waiting in the wing to take over.

How long has convoy had a team?
Believe 2020 was first HS season, 2019 first middle school season, and youth club was 2016 or 2017. May have started with a few in 2016 & 2017 actually competed team wise in youth. Very fun to be involved with since 2019 through now & having a small hand working with the youth in that time.

Top 10 returning wrestlers according to DubStat Rankings:

1. Trenten Gatchell (Allen East) - state qualifier
2. Maddox Jurek (Spencerville) - state qualifier
3. Logan Mershman (CG)
4. Clayton McClain (Ada) - state qualifier
5. Kyle Lathrop (CG)
6. Zayden Martin
7. Kyle Basil (Bluffton)
8. Ethan Beam (CG)
9. Gavin Grubb (Crestview)
10. Boat Thompson (CG)
Kyle Lathrop is the pace setter for the Grove squad this year. I would expect him and Boat Thompson both to earn a state trip this year. Mershman really turned it on in the second half of last year and is putting together a solid year so far as well. Loudon Auchmuty and Layton Blankemeyer are 2 that didn't get much attention last year because of injuries and being stuck at the same weights as Lathrop and Schroeder, but they could both win their weight class in the NWC IMO and make a run at a state appearance.

NWC wrestlers in the Lima Area rankings:
3) Myers (AE)

6) Riblet (Ada)

2) Grubb (Crestview)
8) Miller (Jefferson)

8) Thompson (CG)

7) Blackburn (Bluffton)

2) Neal (AE)
4) Ricker (Lincolnview)

2) Pinks (AE)
4) McClain (Ada)
6) Grace (Crestview)

2) Gatchell (AE)
5) Mershman (CG)
8) Martin (Crestview)

6) Watt (CG)
7) Martin (Crestview)

4) Lathrop (CG)
6) Basil (Bluffton)

3) Schroeder (CG)
5) Jurek (Spencerville)
7) Paxson (AE)

2) Paxson (AE)
8) Shank (Bluffton)

4) Culbertson (AE)

Only NWC team ranked in the top 8 is Allen East at 8

After seeing results of LCC, conference looks to be a four team race, I actually think Allen East and Bluffton will be 1-2. Pirates are way improved from last year and wrestling really well, three spot will be a fight between Grove and Convoy. But if one of these teams gets hot any of the four could win it. This is probably the most competitive conference race wrestling has had

After seeing results of LCC, conference looks to be a four team race, I actually think Allen East and Bluffton will be 1-2. Pirates are way improved from last year and wrestling really well, three spot will be a fight between Grove and Convoy. But if one of these teams gets hot any of the four could win it. This is probably the most competitive conference race wrestling has had
Good to see the group that started wrestling at Crestview get them into consideration of being near the top of the conference. Be nice if they can get the first ever state qualifier this year. They're having a great season. The middle school is doing pretty well too! I'm having a blast with the youth wrestling club this year. They won the Wayne Trace team dual tournament & just won the Fairview tournament today. This with all 3 levels sharing one competition mat. Our youth isn't allowed to use the practice room that HS/MS use. The HS/MS competition mat is the club's that we practice on weekly.

After this past week, I assume Grove is the top. Not sure other than injuries & illness, what happened to Crestview's lineup. Hard to have success if you forfeit half the weight classes. I believe Grove only won 2 of the 7 contested. Also how & why do you do an exhibition match with a top kid instead of doing it in the dual? Ohio is different for sure it seems.

Grove only won 2 of 7 against Crestview and you have them winning? I would think Allen East might have something to say about that.
Will Allen East have a full line up? Last couple years they've had partial lineups like Crestview on Tuesday. If so, then yes AE near or on the top too.

Also how & why do you do an exhibition match with a top kid instead of doing it in the dual? Ohio is different for sure it seems.
Grove or Crestview? Grove's got a ton of weight classes with upper-classmen stacked together so they rotate guys around, especially at duals

Grove or Crestview? Grove's got a ton of weight classes with upper-classmen stacked together so they rotate guys around, especially at duals
Believe Mershman from Grove wrestled in the exhibition and lost a tight one to Martin. Martin won his match in the dual as well. The other Martin was defeated if I remember correctly. Just seemed odd that Mershman v Martin wouldn't have been the dual match.

@Basement Bias I'm not at the meet but keeping up on Baum's page (when they actually update it... league needs to move to track wrestling). Martin not wrestling for Crestview? I saw Mershman was credited with a default over him in round 1

@Basement Bias I'm not at the meet but keeping up on Baum's page (when they actually update it... league needs to move to track wrestling). Martin not wrestling for Crestview? I saw Mershman was credited with a default over him in round 1
No clue. I'm home recovering from illness & following Indiana state finals. Illness has been running rampant on both sides of the line. My Crestview kids got the wife & I sick. Though it doesn't seem any better at Adams Central with the other kids. The WZBD radio crew member from Bellmont is coughing a fit like me. Hopefully Martin will be good to go next week.

Just looked up the tournament. What Ohio abomination are they using? Going round robin instead of double elimination? Wouldn't you want less injury risk for the tournament? It's only conference.

Just looked up the tournament. What Ohio abomination are they using? Going round robin instead of double elimination? Wouldn't you want less injury risk for the tournament? It's only conference.
There’s a maximum of 6-7 wrestlers in every weight class, it’d be dumb to do anything besides round robin. Takes a lucky or bad bracket draw out of the equation.

There’s a maximum of 6-7 wrestlers in every weight class, it’d be dumb to do anything besides round robin. Takes a lucky or bad bracket draw out of the equation.
I'd rather go double elimination with 6 or 7. Make it quick & head on to the postseason. Though not wrestling everyone in a dual doesn't help & forces the round robin since it would be difficult to seed. You could just wrestle out the seed without enforcing the double elimination for 5th & 6th.

Though one less round to qualify for state in Ohio and it is classed. Somewhat equals out except the classed part.

I'd rather go double elimination with 6 or 7. Make it quick & head on to the postseason. Though not wrestling everyone in a dual doesn't help & forces the round robin since it would be difficult to seed. You could just wrestle out the seed without enforcing the double elimination for 5th & 6th.
Like I said it’d be ideal if the NWC got to the point where you have a full dual schedule with full lineups for every team. But until that day comes, if you can wrestle against every kid in your weight class in 1 tournament it’d be silly not to

Like I said it’d be ideal if the NWC got to the point where you have a full dual schedule with full lineups for every team. But until that day comes, if you can wrestle against every kid in your weight class in 1 tournament it’d be silly not to
Just have a feeling the current format isn't going to set up for that to happen. I can see coaches keeping good guys out to prevent injury before the tournament. No disagreement that that current setup forces this scenario.

By that logic, why would you wrestle anything after December? Injuries happen, that’s part of the sport. That’d be like sitting starters in a week 10 football game that could decide the league because they might get hurt
Same reason the 1 seeds in the NFL do not play their starters in week 17. They're in the tournament already and do not see it worthwhile, especially if they are already banged up. Felt like the last couple years a certain high level NWC may have done it. Though they could have just been not cleared until the tournament.

It's only conference??? Tell that to the wrestlers and coaching staffs. Sure looked important to all of them on Saturday. It's also a good starting place for sectional seeding.