The Massillon Effect

The whole everyone hates us. It’s us against everyone else. It’s kinda the definition of it.
Disagree. Part and parcel to the victim mentality is the requirement that you were harmed. Some piss-ant ankle-biters don't have the ability to cause harm. Are you harmed by your 2-year-old throwing a tantrum?

Dunno if that's true either. What experience with "posters from Massillon" has some idiot from Walsh or east Cleveland had*? And why would someone be so childish and sensitive as to let that inform their view of a team, program, fanbase, and city?

* Aside from being called an idiot on here. Which is an entirely defensible position. :p
Just banter back and forth. And for some, nonstop threatening PM’s lol. But I guess my point is in here it’s a consolidated place where interaction is going to happen which otherwise wouldn’t in real life, therefore much more likely to have experiences and conversations you wouldn’t have had otherwise in real life.

Odd there wasn’t a peep about anything like that the night of the game or the day after. 🙄
Not really. As far as I know, there isn't anyone on this forum who was a Green player or student in 2021. Besides, it's not like any crime was committed, just a small percentage of fans being obnoxious.

All, thanks for all comments. But most of your are just confirming others in the area hates Massillon. Everyone knows there is a segment that does.

The thing i want to know is do you feel there are fan bases who take pride being mediocre because they "have there priorities right."

All, thanks for all comments. But most of your are just confirming others in the area hates Massillon. Everyone knows there is a segment that does.

The thing i want to know is do you feel there are fan bases who take pride being mediocre because they "have there priorities right."
I don’t think they want to be mediocre. The “priorities” thing is just the coping mechanism

No team in Stark Co is ok with just being mediocre. Too much history, not to mention how often teams make coaching changes because they are tired of losing or being mediocre.

I can’t speak for others, but for Canton Central Catholic, it’s just not a priority, at all. The fan base has very few diehards. They’d like to see a winning team every year of course, but they also know it’s not a reality. Most of the fan base is very apathetic. Hell most of the alumni doesn’t even send their kids there. So it’s hard to think there will ever be a time they’d make football a priority. And that’s a school with 3 state championships. Imagine not having any.

A great football program is just another “point of pride” for a community. It doesn’t mean it’s a be all end all situation. You can have multiple points of pride. Massillon is a community that takes great pride in supporting their football program specifically and the school system in general. Massillon is a better community because of its football notoriety. To bash them because they put more effort and money towards activities that help young people screams of envy. Most all communities “identify with” something that they are proud of and use it as a way to promote their town. What’s the difference if it’s apple pies or a great football program. Being rabid and passionate about something is the difference between mediocre and great.

I am going to put your idea this way....The Cleveland Clinic and the hospitals that surround them but are not part of the Clinic...this was a way bigger issue in the 90's then now. The hospitals around them had to compete with the Clinic for business...the Clinic had Sheik's that would pay to get their heart fixed...the other hospitals did not have that clientele...so if I said the Clinic does this procedure, the local hospitals would take it as a negative because the Clinic could do things that these local hospitals couldn't. Yet trying to explain how difficult it was working in that environment, to my boss because my company would use thru out the nation the Clinic did this...everybody in other states has heard about the Clinic...the Clinic was a positive...yet locally it was not a positive because they have to live with the Clinic. The Clinic then made it worse with their attitude at local events. This would still be happening if not for the healthcare money issues...now the Clinic owns these hospitals or UH owns them. This comparison works for the most part on the why and what for with Massillon and the local high schools. I am pretty sure you can find a comparison with something in your area that we would not understand because we do not live there.

. I am pretty sure you can find a comparison with something in your area that we would not understand because we do not live there.
Probably. I guess it is not as noticeable to me because a) I'm used to it and b) it is not as obvious as I see in this example.

Probably. I guess it is not as noticeable to me because a) I'm used to it and b) it is not as obvious as I see in this example.
Every new Divisional Manager I got I had to break down the Cleveland Hospital market and the Cleveland Clinic...at one time there were 28 hospitals that were 40 miles or less from the Clinic

No they don't take pride in being mediocre they hate it. They hate that Massillon has adapted to be a power in Ohio football. They hate that kids transfer to Massillon but turnaround and celebrate when a kid transfers to their school. The thing they hate the most is they want their team to be Massillon, they want to beat Massillon but just can't get there.

I think neighboring schools have accepted that private schools cheat. It bugs them more when Massillon continues to do it but somehow does not have success (until this year when they faced a very down Hoban team and got away with a PI to seal the game).
Private Schools cheat, Massillon cheats, Michigan cheats, blah blah blah. Accountability is key. They're simply better, so try to get better yourselves

No they don't take pride in being mediocre they hate it. They hate that Massillon has adapted to be a power in Ohio football. They hate that kids transfer to Massillon but turnaround and celebrate when a kid transfers to their school. The thing they hate the most is they want their team to be Massillon, they want to beat Massillon but just can't get there.

Facts.^

But that's ok. It's why it's called competition. We will worry when they DON'T care. And they should worry when they don't care too.

I may be opening a huge can of worms, but I am going there. I am an outsider (Yinzer) but in 2003 I saw Go Tigers and became a fan of Massillon from afar. Since then, I have been to a few of their games, and I follow NEO HS football in general along with my state (PA)/area (WPIAL). I have read the old JJ Huddle and of course Yappi for years. I have noticed a "theme" among some schools around Massillon and I would like this board's take. Maybe I am completely off, but it seems like there is this weird Massillon Effect on the surrounding school districts in the Canton/Akron area. I am not trying to paint all school districts like this, but it is noticeable from some, that they take a superior attitude in being anti-Massillon. I do not mean anti-Massillon as in hating Massillon that they want to see the Tigers lose every game. But anti-Massillon in the sense that they don't want to be anything like Massillon to the point they pride themselves on being bad or mediocre. But if they do have a magical year, then watch out for the trash talk from them.

1st does my thesis hold water; do you guys see this too? If it does hold water, what do yinz believe is the reason for it? You would think communities so close to the spectacle that is Tigertown, would want in on the action and create their version of, let's call it bravado, and they all be Massillon Washington Lite's. It appears most of the adjacent districts are turned off by that bravado and they go out of their way to be the opposite and they pride themselves in mediocrity. I am not saying these schools should spend money on their programs like Massillon does or be open enrollment if they prefer to stay closed enrollment, or any other item they feel suits them.
I guess I said a lot of words there without saying that much so let me give an example of what I am saying. Some schools seem almost like they are proud to say: "Yes we went 5-5, but at least our priorities are right!" No context as to what priorities they have right or what priorities Massillon has wrong, just a meaningless statement that is a backhanded jab at Massillon. They do NOT say: "Yes we are 5-5 but the boys gave it all they had, and the program is moving in the right direction!" That statement at least shows their priorities are right, instead of lip service as the 1st statement sounds like.

I can be way off with this as I do not live in the area, but from the outside looking in, it appears that way. What does Yappi Nation have to say about this?
Maybe you'd want to be specific about which schools you’re talking about. While I agree that many hate Massillon I'm not aware of any that have the attitude you imply.

Yeah but you’re talking about posters on a message board who likely have had experiences with posters from Massillon. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone in real life not from this immediate area who’s strongly had an opinion either way on Massillon … let alone hate them.
Even though this goes with the message board theme, there’s definitely people on national forums that seemingly hate on Massillon. There’s also others that give them a good bit of credit as well.

I mean, we just won the state championship with it, but let's stop cuz it is technically incorrect. Lol. Umm ok.

It's a motivation tool relax people. Smh.
I can assure you that you didn’t win bc of a slogan and bc you had the best team in the state lol. The slogan doesn’t mean much when you don’t have the talent to win. You’re putting a little too much stake in this.

I can assure you that you didn’t win bc of a slogan and bc you had the best team in the state lol. The slogan doesn’t mean much when you don’t have the talent to win. You’re putting a little too much stake in this.
So do you think motivational tactics don’t work in sports ? Don’t give a team an edge they need ?

So do you think motivational tactics don’t work in sports ? Don’t give a team an edge they need ?
I think it’s a component for sure. But let’s be honest here… that was one of the best Massillon defenses I’ve ever seen. And the offense wasn’t shabby itself. It was definitely the best team in D2. If not the whole state.