Mid-State League ‘23-24

Slate for tonight in the Cardinal.

Wellington at Harvest - Harvest easy
Miller at Rosecrans - Miller is 2-1 on the year. Sounds like something is building in Corning and tonight will be a test to see how much work is left to do. Rosecrans by 20.
Fisher at Berne - Fisher is coming off a big rivalry win, and Berne is coming off a big loss. Fisher by 10
Millersport at GCC - GCC by 20
I’ll take the more lucrative -10.5

Seriously what has happened to Berne?! Even when they weren't at their peak the last couple of years, they were at least competitive. Losing by 60 to GCC? Have they given up already?

Does Wellington not have a JV? Only varsity tonight for the HP-Wellington game.
Rosecrans by 30
GCC by 25
Fisher by 15

Seriously what has happened to Berne?! Even when they weren't at their peak the last couple of years, they were at least competitive. Losing by 60 to GCC? Have they given up already?
Not a matter of giving up. They just do not have the talent.

Bear in mind they are replacing (one of) their best male athlete in school history and their second-best player last year was an exchange student. Hard to replace that when the core is a bunch of kids whose candle is burning at both ends with football & baseball, who are hooping to rep their school community since no one else is there to answer the bell.

Not a matter of giving up. They just do not have the talent.

Bear in mind they are replacing (one of) their best male athlete in school history and their second-best player last year was an exchange student. Hard to replace that when the core is a bunch of kids whose candle is burning at both ends with football & baseball, who are hooping to rep their school community since no one else is there to answer the bell.
That’s good then. Makes sense!

MSL Conference Standings
1. GCC 4-0
2. BR 3-2(3-1)
3. FC 2-3(2-2)
4. Miller 2-2(1-1)
5. FCA 1-4(1-2)
6. Wellington 1-4(1-2)
7. Millersport 0-4(0-3)
8. Berne Union 0-5(0-4)

MSL Conference Standings
1. GCC 4-0
2. BR 3-2(3-1)
3. FC 2-3(2-2)
4. Miller 2-2(1-1)
5. FCA 1-4(1-2)
6. Wellington 1-4(1-2)
7. Millersport 0-4(0-3)
8. Berne Union 0-5(0-4)
Should results vs HP be factored into the league standings, if they themselves aren’t in it?

Anyone have the schedule for the MSL/MOCAL Challenge? I think that's coming up this week. Last year it was at Berne Union but not sure if it's there again this year.

Anyone have the schedule for the MSL/MOCAL Challenge? I think that's coming up this week. Last year it was at Berne Union but not sure if it's there again this year.
Found an answer to my own question. It's at Berne Union again. Messaged Berne and was sent this:

Thursday 12/21/2023
1:30 Boys Millersport (AWAY) vs Delaware Christian (HOME)
3:00 Boys Bishop Rosecrans (AWAY) vs Tree Of Life (HOME)
4:30 Boys Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs Liberty Christian (HOME)
6:00 Girls Berne Union (HOME) vs Madison Christian (AWAY)
7:30 Boys Berne Union (HOME) vs. Madison Christian (AWAY)

Friday 12/22/2023
1:30 Boys Millersport (HOME) vs. Liberty Christian (AWAY)
3:00 Girls Bishop Rosecrans (HOME) vs. Liberty Christian (AWAY)
4:30 Boys Fairfield Christian Academy (HOME) vs. Delaware Christian (AWAY)
6:00 Girls Berne Union (HOME) vs. Shekinah Christian (AWAY)
7:30 Boys Berne Union (HOME) vs. Shekinah Christian (AWAY)

Saturday 12/23/2023
11:00 Boys Fairfield Christian Academy (AWAY) vs. Tree Of Life (HOME)
12:30 Boys Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs. Madison Christian (HOME)
2:00 Girls Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs Madison Christian (HOME)

So it looks like there is no GCC, HP, or Miller from the Cardinal and no Northside Christian or Granville Christian from the MOCAL. I don't know enough about the girls side, but on the boys it looks like FC got the lightest draw by facing 1-win Liberty Christian and winless Madison Christian.

I wish the Rosecrans/Tree boys game game wasn't at 3:00 on a Thursday. Would have liked to watch that one as it should be the highest level boys game of the entire event.

Really glad this is happening though! It's fun to see a number of the District's D4 teams matching up during the season.

Found an answer to my own question. It's at Berne Union again. Messaged Berne and was sent this:

Thursday 12/21/2023
1:30 Boys Millersport (AWAY) vs Delaware Christian (HOME)
3:00 Boys Bishop Rosecrans (AWAY) vs Tree Of Life (HOME)
4:30 Boys Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs Liberty Christian (HOME)
6:00 Girls Berne Union (HOME) vs Madison Christian (AWAY)
7:30 Boys Berne Union (HOME) vs. Madison Christian (AWAY)

Friday 12/22/2023
1:30 Boys Millersport (HOME) vs. Liberty Christian (AWAY)
3:00 Girls Bishop Rosecrans (HOME) vs. Liberty Christian (AWAY)
4:30 Boys Fairfield Christian Academy (HOME) vs. Delaware Christian (AWAY)
6:00 Girls Berne Union (HOME) vs. Shekinah Christian (AWAY)
7:30 Boys Berne Union (HOME) vs. Shekinah Christian (AWAY)

Saturday 12/23/2023
11:00 Boys Fairfield Christian Academy (AWAY) vs. Tree Of Life (HOME)
12:30 Boys Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs. Madison Christian (HOME)
2:00 Girls Fisher Catholic (AWAY) vs Madison Christian (HOME)

So it looks like there is no GCC, HP, or Miller from the Cardinal and no Northside Christian or Granville Christian from the MOCAL. I don't know enough about the girls side, but on the boys it looks like FC got the lightest draw by facing 1-win Liberty Christian and winless Madison Christian.

I wish the Rosecrans/Tree boys game game wasn't at 3:00 on a Thursday. Would have liked to watch that one as it should be the highest level boys game of the entire event.

Really glad this is happening though! It's fun to see a number of the District's D4 teams matching up during the season.
It is, but I still yearn for the days where there’s less MOCAL on the FC schedule and more MSL-Buckeye.

I think the MOCAL has a chance to win the boy's side. The Cardinal has had a rough start to the year.

I was told by GCC AD that they will not play in this event unless they drop divisions. They didn't schedule any D4 non-conference games.

I was told by GCC AD that they will not play in this event unless they drop divisions. They didn't schedule any D4 non-conference games.
whats the point of this mindset if at the end of the day you’re going to keep choosing to play in the double round-robin league schedule with schools like Miller and Millersport (who cannot meaningfully push your competitive interests across the board) instead of Worthington Christian and Cols Academy — two schools you have far more in common with.

whats the point of this mindset if at the end of the day you’re going to keep choosing to play in the double round-robin league schedule with schools like Miller and Millersport (who cannot meaningfully push your competitive interests across the board) instead of Worthington Christian and Cols Academy — two schools you have far more in common with.
Rumors are swirling about GCC moving leagues in the near future. They are in a tough spot because of the facilities.

I think the scheduling had to do with the new points system. The league isn't going to help out GCC or HP, so they have to be creative with non-conference.

BU up 7 at the half on Madison Christian. Looking to get a clean sweep on the boys side for the MSL. Millersport beat Delaware Christian in OT, Rosecrans handled Tree of Life, and FC also handled Liberty.

If nothing else, the MaxPreps ratings will be multiplied based on which conference does better due to the opponent record factor.

BU up 7 at the half on Madison Christian. Looking to get a clean sweep on the boys side for the MSL. Millersport beat Delaware Christian in OT, Rosecrans handled Tree of Life, and FC also handled Liberty.

If nothing else, the MaxPreps ratings will be multiplied based on which conference does better due to the opponent record factor.
Good start for the Cardinal!

MOCAL evens it up by returning the favor with a 3-0 sweep on day 2.

- Liberty Christian (60) over Millersport (49)
- Delaware Christian (37) over Fairfield Christian (35)
- Shekinah Christian (59) over Berne Union (42). According to Berne’s Twitter page Shekinah was up 34-12 at halftime and 48-23 after the third, so I think this is one of the few games that wasn’t competitive. Most have been very close.

Saturday has Tree of Life vs. FCA and Madison Christian vs. FC. Those may not be as close, but who knows?

FCA with a big 61-48 win over Tree of Life! Didn’t see that one coming since FCA just lost to Delaware Christian (who got hammered by Tree and just lost to Millersport).

Fisher Catholic wins easily over Madison Christian to give the MSL a 5-3 advantage over the MOCAL this year.

FCA with a big 61-48 win over Tree of Life! Didn’t see that one coming since FCA just lost to Delaware Christian (who got hammered by Tree and just lost to Millersport).

Fisher Catholic wins easily over Madison Christian to give the MSL a 5-3 advantage over the MOCAL this year.
Big for FC to get four of these last five games after an 0-3 start. Credit to the staff and players.

They also lost the two games to Miller by a combined 9 points. Top 3 finish possible for the Irish.
I’m not sure where Miller fits into the broader league picture this year, how good they are etc, but one thing about FC so far this year (as far as I can tell) is they’re the winning games that they can and aren’t losing a bunch of games that they shouldn’t.

That’s pretty useful and inspiring, given that consistent winning (and what it takes to get there; i.e. closing games out; getting ahead and staying ahead; and getting it all put together) just hasn’t been there lately on the boys’ side of the athletic table. I’m not saying MSL rings are on the horizon, now, but it’s a harbinger of good things to come across the board — it’s starting to ‘click’ now.

Happy New Year!

I'm trying to get a read on Fairfield Christian. Is Penha still playing? I haven't seen him in a box score for awhile.

FCA has been very up and down this year so far. Smoked Berne, lost in OT to a solid FC team, was competitive against Northside Christian, beat Wellington, randomly lost to a 3-6 Delaware Christian team, handled a 5-2 Tree of Life team (who previously blew out Delaware), then lost 76-15 against Warren. Granted Warren seems to be a very good Division 2 team so that's a tough game, but FCA scored 4 combined points in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarter.

How bad is Berne Union? I saw them play tonight and they are very, very sloppy. I left halfway through the game. I think it was 44-9 when I left.

Happy New Year!

I'm trying to get a read on Fairfield Christian. Is Penha still playing? I haven't seen him in a box score for awhile.

FCA has been very up and down this year so far. Smoked Berne, lost in OT to a solid FC team, was competitive against Northside Christian, beat Wellington, randomly lost to a 3-6 Delaware Christian team, handled a 5-2 Tree of Life team (who previously blew out Delaware), then lost 76-15 against Warren. Granted Warren seems to be a very good Division 2 team so that's a tough game, but FCA scored 4 combined points in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarter.
When they were playing at HP, Penha played less than half of the game. He might have been overseas over the holiday, as his brother plays professionally in Europe.

Harvest Prep finished 1-1 in the Holiday Hoop Fest and New Year’s Bash. Best Dunbar 57-53 and lost to Licking Heights 55-57. The team has lost Brandon Roddy to injury, which has impacted the team significantly. Outscored by 9 points in the 4th quarter by Licking Heights. JV beat Licking Heights by 10.

Former HPS assistant Quinten Aden led Worthington Christian to a 55-40 win over Miami East. 7-3 to start the season.
Similarly, former middle school coach Joel Jackson has led Westland to a 4-4 record. Westland only had 2 wins the previous 2 seasons.