Kettering Fairmont

RealistReality

Hello All,

First time poster, long time reader. Great info here shared all around.

I want to point out what some of us in SW Ohio discuss frequently, but which rarely makes it past bar chit chat, and that is the Frustration and overall complete lack of competence in the Athletic program at Fairmont High School in Kettering Ohio. Fairmont I recently learned is Ohio's 6th (Or 5th) Largest High school in Ohio. Pop Warner Football originated from there.

The schedule and rivalry with other conference teams- Alter, Centerville, Wayne, Springfield, Beavercreek etc are excellent, the Facilities there are top notch, as is the central South Dayton location, but unfortunately the Board, AD, and Superintendent do not value WINNING and Competitiveness at Fairmont, and no tradition of winning has ever really been established.

In football, they have had just 3 seasons in the last 40 years- winning 8+ or more games, and only 3 conference championships. Coach Robertson easily had the best record and 2 of those Championships but left for greener pastures in the late 90s. All of the others before or after, were underachievers and losers since the consolidation of Fairmont in 1983, from Schmidt to Aracri.
I walk into Alter or Centerville to watch basketball or wrestling event, and I am blown away with the recognition of their athletes displayed on the walls proudly, this fosters pride and community in alumni affairs and creates a buzz and feeling of winning and tradition.
Fairmont has no display other than some trophies- mostly of women's sports, which Fairmont's seems to prioritize above all else. I grew up in Kettering and Centerville and am very familiar with both schools . Quite the contrast in winning programs though they are literally neighboring communities.

I got news for you Fairmont Board- FOOTBALL DRIVES REVENUE. $$$ But not if fans stop attendance.
CONCESSIONS, PARKING, FRIDAY NIGHT BARS AND RESTAURANTS POST GAME. NOTHING else comes close. WINNING isnt everything, but its damn close. Why in the Hell can this team with over 100+ players not field a conference champion every 5 years?
Why cant this program recognize its top athletes and performers? Why cant they bring in competent staff- Winners (No offense to current coach Dave Miller who is having moderate but not great success). 6-4 last years regular season. His best to date is 7-4.
Basketball is about the same there, as is Wrestling... though "Dublin also beat Kettering Fairmont 80-0" just this December in Wrestling.
An absolute embarrassment.

The entire board should be fired for being Derelict in their duty in all respects.
I have 0 as in NO, confidence in this Administration to do anything but F Up every sports season. Groudhog day every year.
They will choose when pressed to lecture the fans and parents about feel good nonsense and the student environment and academics and other hogwash that is pure mental masturbation, to disguise the inept leadership and lack of commitment to winning while Centerville and Alter eat Fairmonts lunch at every sport.
Other schools have the formula. Smaller schools have the formula.
So Why cant the 5th/6th Largest School in Ohio be a winner?

My good friend who grew up with me aptly calls Fairmont....AverageMont. Commitment to mediocrity. It drives me insane.
Field a real winning program or dont field one at all. Rant over. Thank you

Last edited:

Football Record Here copies from another post. I read that years ago and thought it was belly aching but it planted a seed of disgust..

Doug Schmidt 1983 7 3
Doug Schmidt 1984 7 3
Doug Schmidt 1985 8 2
Doug Schmidt 1986 5 5
Doug Schmidt 1987 7 3
Doug Schmidt 1988 5 5
Eric Herman 1989 2 8
Eric Herman 1990 2 8
Rick Roberston 1991 5 5
Rick Roberston 1992 7 3
Rick Roberston 1993 6 4
Rick Roberston 1994 7 3
Rick Roberston 1995 9 1
Rick Roberston 1996 7 3
Rick Roberston 1997 9 1
Rick Roberston 1998 5 5
Rick Roberston 1999 5 5
Rick Roberston 2000 5 5
Rick Roberston 2001 2 8
Rick Roberston 2002 3 7
Brian Blevins 2003 2 8
Brian Blevins 2004 7 3
Brian Blevins 2005 3 7
Brian Blevins 2006 6 4
Brian Blevins 2007 4 6
Brian Blevins 2008 7 3
Brian Blevins 2009 4 6
Andy Aracri 2010 2 8
Andy Aracri 2011 2 8
Andy Aracri 2012 2 8
Andy Aracri 2013 2 8
Andy Aracri 2014 6 4
Andy Aracri 2015 2 8

57% Winning 594 435 32

1-9 Weaver (2017)
7-4-1 Miller
7-4 Miller
4-6 Miller
4-5 Miller
6-5 Miller
6-4 Miller

Last edited:
Fairmont can be a sleeping giant. They have enrollment and good facilities. The conference they play in is challenging and should prep them for playoff football. They have a very good coach who has a ground oriented philosophy. Many criticize this philosophy but we have seen it work at a places like Hilliard Davidson, Lakota West and Colerain. The key to this success is buy in and relentless strength training. It can be done!!!

The OP answered their own rant (no real questions posed) with "AverageMont".

Regardless of the size of the school, more often than not IMO they look pretty pedestrian in terms of athletes for a D1 school in basketball and football. Just because the school is large and has a lot of resources doesn't mean athletic success should readily be attainable. Sometimes it really is the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

To the point made by the previous post to mine, in sports like basketball and football Fairmont has to be very disciplined, bought into the team over the individual self, and their kids have to be workhorses in the weight room to gain the strength and mass needed to offset having average speed and athleticism.

It all comes down to making a commitment to winning. Teams may want to win, however until they make a commitment, it's just a dream.
Agreed. And those Running Fairmont have shown that they don’t give a damn.
For decades. All should be shown the exit door.

The OP answered their own rant (no real questions posed) with "AverageMont".

Regardless of the size of the school, more often than not IMO they look pretty pedestrian in terms of athletes for a D1 school in basketball and football. Just because the school is large and has a lot of resources doesn't mean athletic success should readily be attainable. Sometimes it really is the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

To the point made by the previous post to mine, in sports like basketball and football Fairmont has to be very disciplined, bought into the team over the individual self, and their kids have to be workhorses in the weight room to gain the strength and mass needed to offset having average speed and athleticism.
Meh
Success is always attainable.
What’s at question is the commitment for and to success.
6th largest school in Ohio. There is talent. There are resources. It just needs prioritized and at present, it is not.
Play to strengths. If size and strength isn’t overwhelming, then make adjustments. Centerville historically never had it. Gregg and Domsitz out tough and out fundamental their opponents.

Last edited:
Fairmont can be a sleeping giant. They have enrollment and good facilities. The conference they play in is challenging and should prep them for playoff football. They have a very good coach who has a ground oriented philosophy. Many criticize this philosophy but we have seen it work at a places like Hilliard Davidson, Lakota West and Colerain. The key to this success is buy in and relentless strength training. It can be done!!!
Screw sleeping giant. That means nothing. Coach is on year 7. He’s got them slightly better than 500. Not good enough.
It starts with youth and builds from there. 7 years. That’s enough time.
Fairmont is 4x larger than Alter for heavens sake. And has as good or better talent pool, yet Alter performs year in year out esp in the playoffs and the rivalry game is always tough. D1 Vs D4, though Fairmont has taken the edge w Miller.

But Wrestling and basketball are even worse.
Fairmont is literally the Bad News Bears of the Gwoc except in girls synchronized swimming. Embarrassing

Last edited:
Screw sleeping giant. That means nothing. Coach is on year 7. He’s got them slightly better than 500. Not good enough.
It starts with youth and builds from there. 7 years. That’s enough time.
Fairmont is 4x larger than Alter for heavens sake. And has as good or better talent pool, yet Alter performs year in year out esp in the playoffs and the rivalry game is always tough. D1 Vs D4, though Fairmont has taken the edge w Miller.

But Wrestling and basketball are even worse.
Fairmont is literally the Bad News Bears of the Gwoc except in girls synchronized swimming. Embarrassing
I suggest that winning in Division 1 is much harder than winning in Division 4. Alter is very disciplined and well coached, no question but Alter has an easier path through division 4 than Fairmont has in division 1. Fairmont has to play Springfield, Wayne and Springfield in league play and then potentially in playoffs. If Fairmont somehow got through they would then meet the traditional Cincy powers followed by meeting a Cleveland power. Alter did have to face a great Glenville team this year but nobody else of great substance.

Meh
Success is always attainable.
What’s at question is the commitment for and to success.
6th largest school in Ohio. There is talent. There are resources. It just needs prioritized and at present, it is not.
Play to strengths. If size and strength isn’t overwhelming, then make adjustments. Centerville historically never had it. Gregg and Domsitz out tough and out fundamental their opponents.
Define "talent". I've watched Fairmont play Springfield multiple times in recent years very competitively, including beating them, with very visibly inferior talent due to a very disciplined and unexciting ball control style of play. What prospects has Fairmont sent D1 in the last 5-10 years? I can't think of any Reggie Powers, C.J. Hicks, Malik Zaire, etc., level players ever coming through there and going on to P5 level football. I'm honestly not sure if they've had any MAC level signees in that time period.

I suggest that winning in Division 1 is much harder than winning in Division 4. Alter is very disciplined and well coached, no question but Alter has an easier path through division 4 than Fairmont has in division 1. Fairmont has to play Springfield, Wayne and Springfield in league play and then potentially in playoffs. If Fairmont somehow got through they would then meet the traditional Cincy powers followed by meeting a Cleveland power. Alter did have to face a great Glenville team this year but nobody else of great substance.
Disagree..
For Alter-Wyoming 2nd Conf 8-2 (Cincinnati powerhouse), Hamilton Badin (#2 State), Trotwood Madison, & Chaminade were all tough tests. Their schedule includes D1 & D2 schools.
They did not nor do not have a gimmee schedule-The Gwoc is tough at the high levels, but it’s always the perennial powerhouses year after year.
There are many schools weak in the Gwoc as well.
FYI-D2 Massillon beat Ohio d1 state champs St Eds.

Last edited:
Define "talent". I've watched Fairmont play Springfield multiple times in recent years very competitively, including beating them, with very visibly inferior talent due to a very disciplined and unexciting ball control style of play. What prospects has Fairmont sent D1 in the last 5-10 years? I can't think of any Reggie Powers, C.J. Hicks, Malik Zaire, etc., level players ever coming through there and going on to P5 level football. I'm honestly not sure if they've had any MAC level signees in that time period.
Fairmont has skilled players or talent at many positions. There is parity in the Gwoc but there are vast differences in winning Vs losing teams.
What you fail to account for is execution, fundamentals, desire, turnovers.. intangibles that are difference makers.
D1 isn’t the end all be all. A guy can get overlooked even not recruited because he’s 1-2” too short, Said to be “slow”, an attitude problem, or wrong color at a skilled position. Or in the wrong system.
That said, FMont has put players in the Mac and d2 in the last 10 years. If the team was more of a winning team or had a high powered O recruiting would also open up.

Last edited:
I’ve seen teams go from Flexbone to Empty in the same game. Passing in an area Fairmont can and should do better. Problem though is finding the right QB.

Coaching can also make a huge difference. I currently live in the Milford school district and until their current football coach showed up circa 2016, that program hadn't won a league title since 1986 or qualified for the playoffs until his 2nd season in 2017. They've won two now and had their first undefeated regular season this year since 1957.
Milford always had good players, however it took a good coach getting these kids to believe they could win!
Centerville was a complete crap of a program until Gregg showed up in 1973 and after 2 years, he had those kids playing great for the Dayton area. Had we had the playoff system we have today, I think the ELKS could have won a title or two from 1975 - 83.

Last edited:
Coaching can also make a huge difference. I currently live in the Milford school district and until their current football coach showed up circa 2016, that program hadn't won a league title since 1986 or qualified for the playoffs until his 2nd season in 2017. They've won two now and had their first undefeated regular season this year since 1957.
Milford always had good players, however it took a good coach getting these kids to believe they could win!
Centerville was a complete crap of a program until Gregg showed up in 1973 and after 2 years, he had those kids playing great for the Dayton area. Had we had the playoff system we have today, I think the ELKS could have won a title or two from 1975 - 83.
Milford also was in the GMC until they were able to jump into the ECC where they were by far the biggest school until West Clermont joined. (I’m not counting Walnut, they’re still a CPS school).

Hello All,

First time poster, long time reader. Great info here shared all around.

I want to point out what some of us in SW Ohio discuss frequently, but which rarely makes it past bar chit chat, and that is the Frustration and overall complete lack of competence in the Athletic program at Fairmont High School in Kettering Ohio. Fairmont I recently learned is Ohio's 6th (Or 5th) Largest High school in Ohio. Pop Warner Football originated from there.

The schedule and rivalry with other conference teams- Alter, Centerville, Wayne, Springfield, Beavercreek etc are excellent, the Facilities there are top notch, as is the central South Dayton location, but unfortunately the Board, AD, and Superintendent do not value WINNING and Competitiveness at Fairmont, and no tradition of winning has ever really been established.

In football, they have had just 3 seasons in the last 40 years- winning 8+ or more games, and only 3 conference championships. Coach Robertson easily had the best record and 2 of those Championships but left for greener pastures in the late 90s. All of the others before or after, were underachievers and losers since the consolidation of Fairmont, from Schmidt to Aracri in 1983.
I walk into Alter or Centerville to watch basketball or wrestling event, and I am blown away with the recognition of their athletes displayed on the walls proudly, this fosters pride and community in alumni affairs and creates a buzz and feeling of winning and tradition.
Fairmont has no display other than some trophies- mostly of women's sports, which Fairmont's seems to prioritize above all else. I grew up in Kettering and Centerville and am very familiar with both schools . Quite the contrast in winning programs though they are literally neighboring communities.

I got news for you Fairmont Board- FOOTBALL DRIVES REVENUE. $$$ But not if fans stop attendance.
CONCESSIONS, PARKING, FRIDAY NIGHT BARS AND RESTAURANTS POST GAME. NOTHING else comes close. WINNING isnt everything, but its damn close. Why in the Hell can this team with over 100+ players not field a conference champion every 5 years?
Why cant this program recognize its top athletes and performers? Why cant they bring in competent staff- Winners (No offense to current coach Dave Miller who is having moderate but not great success). 6-4 last years regular season. His best to date is 7-4.
Basketball is about the same there, as is Wrestling... though "Dublin also beat Kettering Fairmont 80-0" just this December in Wrestling.
An absolute embarrassment.

The entire board should be fired for being Derelict in their duty in all respects.
I have 0 as in NO, confidence in this Administration to do anything but F Up every sports season. Groudhog day every year.
They will choose when pressed to lecture the fans and parents about feel good nonsense and the student environment and academics and other hogwash that is pure mental masturbation, to disguise the inept leadership and lack of commitment to winning while Centerville and Alter eat Fairmonts lunch at every sport.
Other schools have the formula. Smaller schools have the formula.
So Why cant the 5th/6th Largest School in Ohio be a winner?

My good friend who grew up with me aptly calls Fairmont....AverageMont. Commitment to mediocrity. It drives me insane.
Field a real winning program or dont field one at all. Rant over. Thank you
I would argue that football revenues are not what you think.

Football may be profitable, but it’s not making the huge $ it used to.
Attendance to games is down and everything about running a program has tripled or more. It shouldn’t drive all decisions. Not saying whether or not Fairmont should be winning in everything on a regular basis. Sounds like they’re just caught in the eternal state of average.

I would argue that football revenues are not what you think.

Football may be profitable, but it’s not making the huge $ it used to.
Attendance to games is down and everything about running a program has tripled or more. It shouldn’t drive all decisions. Not saying whether or not Fairmont should be winning in everything on a regular basis. Sounds like they’re just caught in the eternal state of average.
You’re drinking too much bong water. 😃

Football drives all athletic revenues.
It’s true at college just as in high school. Roush stadium at Fairmont is close to 10k seats + parking. Bars & Restaurants all benefit. Football is an industry and economy unto itself on Friday nights. The big games are still all sold out.
If Averagemont is winning, (rarity) packing the stadium is a non issue. Winning being the operative word. Did you get that? Winning.
Local and school economy thrive.

And yes, I’m caught on mediocrity with being the 5th/6th largest school in Ohio. And those that defend it. Like you.

Last edited:
Dave Miller is a hell of a football coach.
That’s the reputation he earned at his prior school. He has yet to do anything great in 7 years at Fairmont. 7-3 / 6-4 is now considered a helluva coach and great year. Newsflash-it’s not.
stop defending mediocrity and .600%
Facilities at Fairmont rival some Mac schools. They’re that nice.
The AD Dept needs to get the memo that Winning matters. Above all else. Win. Or go do intramurals and hang it up.

Last edited:
Agreed 💯
Bob Gregg is a Legend.
Some buffoon posted about him not beating Cincy schools. Wrong.
He beat the #1 in State with Moeller in Cincinnati in 1984. All with slow and smaller but tough suburban white kids made that way by Gregg. Forged iron steel.
CVille later beat #1 Princeton in Cincinnati with Qb Herbstreit who tied the game late 4th quarter. They Could’ve tied the game to go to ot. Gregg went for it, and got 2. And the Win. Take
that Cincinnati football.
Cincy schools were all thought to be better and tougher than Dayton and given the nod with the old point system pre playoffs. It excluded many perhaps better teams as CVille was able to prove in 1984.

Last edited:
That’s the reputation he earned at his prior school. He has yet to do anything great in 7 years at Fairmont. 7-3 / 6-4 is now considered a helluva coach and great year. Newsflash-it’s not.
stop defending mediocrity and .600%
Facilities at Fairmont rival some Mac schools. They’re that nice.
The AD Dept needs to get the memo that Winning matters. Above all else. Win. Or go do intramurals and hang it up.
So if a coach is great at one school, and isn't at another, perhaps it's your kids being puzzies that's the issue.

It’s true at college just as in high school. Roush stadium at Fairmont is close to 10k seats + parking. Bars & Restaurants all benefit. Football is an industry and economy unto itself on Friday nights. The big games are still all sold out.
If Averagemont is winning, (rarity) packing the stadium is a non issue. Winning being the operative word. Did you get that? Winning.

And yes, I’m caught on mediocrity with being the 5th/6th largest school in Ohio. And those that defend it. Like you.
Not from there. Could care less if they win or lose.

Rousch is more like 7500 seats and they’re not selling out all 5 home games, maybe 1 “sellout” a year