Transfers and player movement

Great Question!
Here is SWO and Ohio in general we have GREAT COACHES, but where I think many of these coaches struggle is in adapting to what they have. In college you get to recruit guys that fit the system you've put in place as. a coach. In High School you may have a great bucket getter as you mentioned which is typically a guy who can put it on the deck, get to the rim, score from the mid range. If you're running a mover blocker or flex style offense that's not really going to help that kid showcase his skill sets.
So my answer to this is coaches should coach to the strengths of their talent not just the way they've done things for years. We've seen as this game is adapted through the years anyway. Like when the 3 ball became so big, coaches either adapted to it or were funneled out.
I agree. It annoys me when people say "kids just aren't very good" when we see some of these brands of basketball that coaches have used for decades, regardless of their talent.

IMO, the "bad basketball" issue is more a coach problem than a player problem.

I’ve heard this for years about high school coaches not letting the players just “air it out” and play like they do in club ball. It’s just a different beast-plus it’s just a long season with games twice a week against a variety of talent and coaching styles. Less flash/safe play but disciplined and consistent on both offense and defense for the most part which, if winning games is the goal (vs just getting kids recruited) that’s what it typically takes

I’ve heard this for years about high school coaches not letting the players just “air it out” and play like they do in club ball. It’s just a different beast-plus it’s just a long season with games twice a week against a variety of talent and coaching styles. Less flash/safe play but disciplined and consistent on both offense and defense for the most part which, if winning games is the goal (vs just getting kids recruited) that’s what it typically takes
As I mentioned in my post, I didn't mean coaches just letting players do whatever they want. That's never a recipe for success.

But there's certainly a balance to be had. There are a ton of under-utilized players compared to their skills in SW Ohio, because as mentioned, there are alot of coaches that won't move away from their flex style they've been using for decades. The coaches get the heebie jeebies if they have to run anything outside of that.

As I mentioned in my post, I didn't mean coaches just letting players do whatever they want. That's never a recipe for success.

But there's certainly a balance to be had. There are a ton of under-utilized players compared to their skills in SW Ohio, because as mentioned, there are alot of coaches that won't move away from their flex style they've been using for decades. The coaches get the heebie jeebies if they have to run anything outside of that.
Or maybe they have just had tremendous success with it?

Or maybe they have just had tremendous success with it?
Fair point here. In the GMC we can take a look at guys like Greg Richards and Mike Price who ran their systems without much deviation for years with lots of success. Would I say "tremendous" probably not, could they have maybe made a deeper run in the post season some years had they switched up what they did a bit ... who knows but probably not as I'd say they got the most out of what they had every year

High school basketball has absolutely no impact on D1 recruiting…except you have to “graduate” and maintain some ridiculously low standards of GPA abd board scores. Maybe if you are borderline a school might want to see some tape. Recruiting is done at AAU events…love it or hate it. Football recruiting is increasingly done at camps. Small colleges will still come to high school games because they don’t have the budget to travel and also have no shot at the players that are at the big AAU events. Some small D1 schools might poke around some state tournament games (like St Francis, Ohio Valley Conference). Remember that colleges are in the same season so they have bigger fish to fry, so to speak, December to March. That is why summer AAU is so big.
Small colleges have no chance at any players at big AAU events? You’re delusional. So are you implying that every player at big AAU events is mid major D1 or higher? Highly doubt that

I named Patrick Wrencher who was class of 2013 and avg less than 6 PPG and received a D1 scholarship offer
Lol trust me the circles i am in i have alot of knowledge of how this recruiting stuff goes
Wrencher was hurt his senior season and sat out more games than he played. The first three games of his senior season he scored 10, 8, and 9. Then he got hurt and came back later in the season and wasn’t the same player. So if that’s the only name you can come up with, that’s a bad example.

They sure do - but my question was do you think they'd have even more success if they opened the reigns a bit. I think it would result in even better teams.
It’s a good discussion- i don’t disagree at all, but it’s armchair coaching one of the most successful coaches in Ohio high school basketball. I think for instance Moeller definitely loosened up when they had Jaxson, Jeremiah, Alec and Duece on their roster. Then tried again a few years later and it just didn’t work despite having decent talent- too much effort by players on trying to create dynamic offensive plays and it got sloppy pretty quickly with defense falling by way side.

Your original point is a reach at best and you are doing a very clumsy job of trying to defend it, but I get what you are trying to say. I know of two guys who averaged less than 6 ppg at moeller as seniors that played D1 on scholarship (not sure if full or partial though)- one was Kerley at App state I believe. However the better point to make regarding Moeller getting kids opportunities in college would be in talking about the sheer number of kids who are/aren’t stars at Moeller moving on to the next level to play. It’s pretty impressive- no matter how many points they scored as a senior. Deuce McBride didn’t even lead Moeller in scoring his senior year (Pfriem had that distinction-they both scored around 13 per game) and we see how that turned out- compare that to say a Lakota team where their top guy scored in the mid 20 pt range and is going to Thomas Moore.
Kerley walked on at App St.

Question to ponder - do you think high school basketball would be a better product if these high schools coaches allowed many of these kids to do their thing? Of course, not just let them do whatever they want, but allowing more kids to use the skills we all know they have.

I can't tell you how many kids I've seen in open gyms and AAU ball that are straight bucket getters, and their coaches don't even scratch the surface with utilizing their talents. They look like a completely different player on their HS teams. Even these good teams, imo, would be so much better if these coaches would let these kids use their skills.
Absolutely….I have seen this more times than I can count. On the football side think of Joe Brrr..couldn’t snatch a minute at OSU and a few years later is playing in the Super Bowl!

They sure do - but my question was do you think they'd have even more success if they opened the reigns a bit. I think it would result in even better teams.
Interesting question, one thing to add that is a big difference between school and AAU...preparation. In the spring and summer you are playing two or three games in a day after practicing once the week before, sometimes with no idea who is on the team you are playing. In school ball the other team has watched film of your team all week, practiced specifically how to beat you and (at least on good teams) every kid will know the plan to stop your team.

Open gyms can be fun to watch but it doesn't make it good basketball. AAU games can provide highlights but there are more bad teams playing in the spring then there are good ones. The NBA All Star game has plenty of highlights of guys doing their thing but attendance would steadily decline in NBA arenas if that was every night.

Question to ponder - do you think high school basketball would be a better product if these high schools coaches allowed many of these kids to do their thing? Of course, not just let them do whatever they want, but allowing more kids to use the skills we all know they have.

I can't tell you how many kids I've seen in open gyms and AAU ball that are straight bucket getters, and their coaches don't even scratch the surface with utilizing their talents. They look like a completely different player on their HS teams. Even these good teams, imo, would be so much better if these coaches would let these kids use their skills.
The big thing with this is confidence from the experience I have had personally and that I have seen from guys I've coached or been around, the confidence you have playing in AAU with sometimes people you grew up with and your friends you've known your whole life. Sometimes you go into a high school and that coached that loved you so much to and got you to come to the school is completely different from what you expected and it does not work out

Wrencher was hurt his senior season and sat out more games than he played. The first three games of his senior season he scored 10, 8, and 9. Then he got hurt and came back later in the season and wasn’t the same player. So if that’s the only name you can come up with, that’s a bad example.
Lol Big Pat is my guy but he was D1 material he got his offer specifically because he went to Moeller and Kremer's connections

He also averaged 1.9 through 23 games his junior year

Lol Big Pat is my guy but he was D1 material he got his offer specifically because he went to Moeller and Kremer's connections
So you don’t think if he’d have gone to Purcell or Wyoming or Hamilton or whatever school where he probably would’ve averaged 15-20 PPG, he wouldn’t have gotten a D1 scholarship?

Open gyms can be fun to watch but it doesn't make it good basketball. AAU games can provide highlights but there are more bad teams playing in the spring then there are good ones. The NBA All Star game has plenty of highlights of guys doing their thing but attendance would steadily decline in NBA arenas if that was every night.
Not all open gyms and AAU games are crap. A ton of kids exponentially increase their skill sets, especially their offensive skill set, through these two avenues.

I'm not asking the game to be more entertaining. I asking if people think coaches giving more leeway would result in better basketball or better teams. Alot of what we watch on Friday nights hurts the eyes, and imo, it's more coach related than player related.

Not all open gyms and AAU games are crap. A ton of kids exponentially increase their skill sets, especially their offensive skill set, through these two avenues.

I'm not asking the game to be more entertaining. I asking if people think coaches giving more leeway would result in better basketball or better teams. Alot of what we watch on Friday nights hurts the eyes, and imo, it's more coach related than player related.
I agree wholeheartedly….was involved in AAU for 10 years…contrary to common belief here teams actually practice, run an offense and play defense..many teams press and do run and trap. One difference is many teams have 6-7 starter level players. 80+% of the players I coached, trained or knew liked Spring/Summer ball far more…more skill and less system driven.

I agree wholeheartedly….was involved in AAU for 10 years…contrary to common belief here teams actually practice, run an offense and play defense..many teams press and do run and trap. One difference is many teams have 6-7 starter level players. 80+% of the players I coached, trained or knew liked Spring/Summer ball far more…more skill and less system driven.
My guess is you coached a high-level AAU team. For every one team like yours there is 5 that go the other way. Go watch a tournament at Courts 4 Sports and it is obvious.

What league's are you watching? Look at the pace and space in today's game vs just 10 years ago. More ball screens and iso ball than ever, back to the basket players all but gone. Most teams have made the jump to some type of conceptual offense at this point. What do you mean by more leeway?

So you don’t think if he’d have gone to Purcell or Wyoming or Hamilton or whatever school where he probably would’ve averaged 15-20 PPG, he wouldn’t have gotten a D1 scholarship?
No lol Pat wasn't even getting his game off in AAU the coaches weren't lining up to speak to an unathletic 6'6 C

Last edited:

Its not so much the coach won't let them use their skills it is they are afraid too.. A lot of the AAU coaches put up with the mistakes and turnovers. High school coaches will sit a kid if it happens too often. That makes a lot of these kids nervous during the high school season so they don't play as free and open.

Its not so much the coach won't let them use their skills it is they are afraid too.. A lot of the AAU coaches put up with the mistakes and turnovers. High school coaches will sit a kid if it happens too often. That makes a lot of these kids nervous during the high school season so they don't play as free and open.
Confidence is big with HS coach if you have a coach that will not let you play through mistakes or pull you out for every thing you do, that player won't reach his full potential in HS basketball as opposed to AAU where a coach might let you work thru the mistakes and coach you up during the course of the games and timeouts

High school basketball has absolutely no impact on D1 recruiting…except you have to “graduate” and maintain some ridiculously low standards of GPA abd board scores. Maybe if you are borderline a school might want to see some tape. Recruiting is done at AAU events…love it or hate it. Football recruiting is increasingly done at camps. Small colleges will still come to high school games because they don’t have the budget to travel and also have no shot at the players that are at the big AAU events. Some small D1 schools might poke around some state tournament games (like St Francis, Ohio Valley Conference). Remember that colleges are in the same season so they have bigger fish to fry, so to speak, December to March. That is why summer AAU is so big.
Well respected HS coaches are sought out and listened to. AAU is a convenient way to watch a lot of kids play, but for the most part the coaching is a joke. They will use an AAU coach, but respect what they have to say, not so often. In the fall, college coaches are still in HS open gyms talking with the kid’s coach. There are a lot of exceptions.

Fair point here. In the GMC we can take a look at guys like Greg Richards and Mike Price who ran their systems without much deviation for years with lots of success. Would I say "tremendous" probably not, could they have maybe made a deeper run in the post season some years had they switched up what they did a bit ... who knows but probably not as I'd say they got the most out of what they had every year
Two guys with suspect tournament records over their career. Do you remember college basketball before the shot clock? A lot of great coaches had their players “running around in circles”, as you say. Real coaches do what wins. There is often a lot of criticism of Moeller’s deliberate ball control style on this site, but over the last couple of decades Mo has been without a doubt a top five state program that sent a lot of kids to school.

Great point, and part of the issue. They don't feel like they can use their talents to improvise and react every now and then. So much is so scripted and coach controlled. Almost to every possession.

What league's are you watching? Look at the pace and space in today's game vs just 10 years ago. More ball screens and iso ball than ever, back to the basket players all but gone. Most teams have made the jump to some type of conceptual offense at this point. What do you mean by more leeway?
Mostly SW Ohio but some NE Ohio periodically - I'm not against good and consistent coaching. But every possession and every minute of the game seems coach controlled. And agree with the point above, kids are afraid to ride the pine if they even attempt to improvise or react, even though when it may have been the right decision.

Set after set after set. Sets are fine and needed, but so is the ability to read and react.