Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

Something to consider...
Canfield was clearly the best team in D-II in 2005
Canfield did not win the state championship in 2005
Canfield would have undoubtedly beat Central Catholic if not for numerous injuries, even the TCC posters all readily admit as much

In the Canfield vs DeSales game, both teams had players get injured. I apologize for the fact that things are so convoluted. I saw many of those Steubenville teams play back in the mid 2000s, and they were all excellent teams. But even the computer models project Canfield was the better team for the years in question, some years albeit very narrowly only by a FG. The computer models think Canfield was worse than TCC (when that wasn't the case) and still favor Canfield over Steubenville in 2005.
I just realized Canfield has missed the playoffs 4 out the last 10 years. Mmmmmmm

I just realized Canfield has missed the playoffs 4 out the last 10 years. Mmmmmmm
That statement is accurate, however you could also say that they have made the regional finals 4 out of the last 6 years with 15 playoff wins and a state title. If you want to get silly, Canfield also went down to Steubenville with what I think was their 8th grade team and won a couple of years ago, so I guess we can say definitively that Canfield is the better program because of that win. I can't tell if people come out of the woodwork just to specifically bash Canfield or bang on Simkon. Either way, Canfield has a 7v7 against Springfield tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how the new QB's and WR's look.

That statement is accurate, however you could also say that they have made the regional finals 4 out of the last 6 years with 15 playoff wins and a state title. If you want to get silly, Canfield also went down to Steubenville with what I think was their 8th grade team and won a couple of years ago, so I guess we can say definitively that Canfield is the better program because of that win. I can't tell if people come out of the woodwork just to specifically bash Canfield or bang on Simkon. Either way, Canfield has a 7v7 against Springfield tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how the new QB's and WR's look.
It’s usually to go after Simkon lol

It’s usually to go after Simkon lol
When a program wins a state title in football people expect your school footballl schedule to be elevated, to duck no one and play the other winning programs in the area. a.k.a. Fitch, South Range, Ursuline, Steubenville, etc.

When a program wins a state title in football people expect your school footballl schedule to be elevated, to duck no one and play the other winning programs in the area. a.k.a. Fitch, South Range, Ursuline, Steubenville, etc.
Canfield isn't ducking Ursuline and Steubenville. Canfield just doesn't like Steubenville and they have animosity towards Mooney and Ursuline for obvious reasons. I will admit they are ducking Fitch, but Fitch has over twice as many boys as Canfield most years. And South Range it was mutual from what I heard.

Canfield isn't ducking Ursuline and Steubenville. Canfield just doesn't like Steubenville and they have animosity towards Mooney and Ursuline for obvious reasons. I will admit they are ducking Fitch, but Fitch has over twice as many boys as Canfield most years. And South Range it was mutual from what I heard.
All I am saying is, if Canfield would have scheduled ONE of those teams this year (when the opportunities were there) then nobody would have been talking about the schedule. Everyone wants to talk about a BIG game. So what if you loss the game, can anyone knock the program if they lost to Fitch this year? No, But everyone in the valley would be excited about the game.

All I am saying is, if Canfield would have scheduled ONE of those teams this year (when the opportunities were there) then nobody would have been talking about the schedule. Everyone wants to talk about a BIG game. So what if you loss the game, can anyone knock the program if they lost to Fitch this year? No, But everyone in the valley would be excited about the game.
When Canfield lost to Fitch in 2003, I never heard the end of it on JJ Huddle. And it wasn't just the Fitch posters, it was the Poland posters and the rest of the MAC and Mahoning Valley posters as well. They kept carrying on about how we couldn't stop Fitch even though they ran the same 2 or 3 plays over and over. They pounded the ball right down our throats and we never came close to stopping Fitch on offense all night. And I guarantee you if Canfield would play Steubenville and lose, I would never hear the end of that either on here from the Big Red posters.

Also this is Canfield's schedule...
West Branch
Mansfield
Olmsted Falls
Poland
Chaney
Dover
Holy Name
Howland
Boardman

As it is it is the 3rd most difficult schedule for all teams in D-III this year as of this date. The only team that they play that is really lackluster is Howland, who probably will be terrible again.
Otherwise West Branch, Mansfield, Olmsted Falls, Dover and Holy Name should all be "Big Games."

I’d argue that this years schedule is tougher than last years. No Canadians or East. Although I heard East might better this year. Now I’m obviously biased, but it seems to me that people just want to see Canfield football get knocked down a peg or two. Especially after wins against Fitch and Ursuline the last 2 years.

When Canfield lost to Fitch in 2003, I never heard the end of it on JJ Huddle. And it wasn't just the Fitch posters, it was the Poland posters and the rest of the MAC and Mahoning Valley posters as well. They kept carrying on about how we couldn't stop Fitch even though they ran the same 2 or 3 plays over and over. They pounded the ball right down our throats and we never came close to stopping Fitch on offense all night. And I guarantee you if Canfield would play Steubenville and lose, I would never hear the end of that either on here from the Big Red posters.

Also this is Canfield's schedule...
West Branch
Mansfield
Olmsted Falls
Poland
Chaney
Dover
Holy Name
Howland
Boardman

As it is it is the 3rd most difficult schedule for all teams in D-III this year as of this date. The only team that they play that is really lackluster is Howland, who probably will be terrible again.
Otherwise West Branch, Mansfield, Olmsted Falls, Dover and Holy Name should all be "Big Games."
Simkon, the only game I really want to see on Canfield's schedule is Louisville. I thought it was a good rival. Canfield doesn't have an easy schedule but you have to agree, everyone would be more excited about the BIG local games I mention than they are for Mansfield and Olmsted Falls. Again, not saying they are easy games..

Simkon, the only game I really want to see on Canfield's schedule is Louisville. I thought it was a good rival. Canfield doesn't have an easy schedule but you have to agree, everyone would be more excited about the BIG local games I mention than they are for Mansfield and Olmsted Falls. Again, not saying they are easy games..
I would be 💯% behind playing Louisville every year, I have no idea why they aren't on the schedule anymore. Would prefer them to playing East or Howland for sure.

I would be 💯% behind playing Louisville every year, I have no idea why they aren't on the schedule anymore. Would prefer them to playing East or Howland for sure.
They are back on the schedule next year!
Louisville is dropping Steubenville and some of the Fed schools. Canfield rivilary will continue with the series I believe tied at 7&7

What are the obvious reasons for animosity towards Mooney and Ursuline? Have Mooney and Ursuline historically took kids from Canfield? I know recently the irish got a couple, but the Cardinals got a few back I believe.

What are the obvious reasons for animosity towards Mooney and Ursuline? Have Mooney and Ursuline historically took kids from Canfield? I know recently the irish got a couple, but the Cardinals got a few back I believe.
Well I know a lot of kids that resided in Canfield that ultimately attended Mooney or Ursuline and others that Mooney and Ursuline tried to poach that almost didn't go to Canfield. One of my best friends played QB for Ursuline. All of my cousins resided in Canfield but played football for Mooney. My one cousin was a FB/DL for Mooney and another was a WR/DB.
Obviously Canfield has closed enrollment and always has a CB# of 0 every year, so they can't reciprocate and get kids from outside of the city of Canfield and Canfield Twp, with the exception of a small area of Boardman Twp, Austintown Twp, and Cornersburg that is Canfield school district. Incidentally the area where South Range High School is located and Western Reserve High School is located both used to be a part of Canfield School District. And even after the formation of the Ellsworth schoolhouse and other small one and two room schoolhouses in the area surrounding Canfield, students still at the time had the option to either attend a rural one or two room schoolhouse or attend school at Canfield in what is now the wing of the old high school (present day Junior High/Middle School) with 3 stories. Sometimes I wonder how many state championships we could have potentially won if we got to pick from all the kids that attend South Range and Western Reserve as well. Canfield used to formerly have the largest school district by area in Trumbull and later Mahoning County (Canfield used to be in Trumbull County before Mahoning County existed).

Canfield's schedule does look like one that a state champion should have. I want to warn Canfield. Olmstead Falls is known as a pretty chippy team in the SWC. They better be up for that game.

Canfield's schedule does look like one that a state champion should have. I want to warn Canfield. Olmstead Falls is known as a pretty chippy team in the SWC. They better be up for that game.
Incidentally if Canfield would add Fitch, South Range, WGH, Ursuline, Mooney or Steubenville to the schedule it would bump them up to #1 in SOS for D-III. If they would add a 2nd team from those in place of Howland they would rank among the top 10 in D-II as well.

Those who previously proposed Canfield playing Fitch, Harding, South Range, Ursuline, Mooney, et al may not realize that what they are proposing is for Canfield to have a schedule that would rank in the top 5 for all D-II schools when they are a small D-III school most years.

Incidentally if Canfield would add Fitch, South Range, WGH, Ursuline, Mooney or Steubenville to the schedule it would bump them up to #1 in SOS for D-III. If they would add a 2nd team from those in place of Howland they would rank among the top 10 in D-II as well.

Those who previously proposed Canfield playing Fitch, Harding, South Range, Ursuline, Mooney, et al may not realize that what they are proposing is for Canfield to have a schedule that would rank in the top 5 for all D-II schools when they are a small D-III school most years.
Ursuline is in the same region as Canfield and plays the above schools mentioned beside South Range. What is your point

Ursuline is in the same region as Canfield and plays the above schools mentioned beside South Range. What is your point
The point is that Ursuline gets to pick any boys they want from the Mahoning Valley to be on their team, while Canfield only gets to pick boys from Canfield, so it is comparing apples to oranges. And also Ursuline doesn't play West Branch, Mansfield, Olmsted Falls, Dover, and Holy Name.
Ursuline plays Lakeside and East (both who Canfield used to play), and both are not very good.
Mind you that Ursuline will have a pretty difficult schedule this year outside of those two games. But if Canfield added all those teams to their schedule it would be way more difficult than Ursuline's or any other team in D-III.

Simkon is just never wrong. The Canfield South Range debacle was not mutual. It was all Canfield Head Coach. Mutual is a joke South Range goes out and picks up a FED school. Yes they would much rather play them than the Cardinals. They would probably drop my bulldogs except Mike Pav knows he can't lose to his dumb brother.

Simkon is just never wrong. The Canfield South Range debacle was not mutual. It was all Canfield Head Coach. Mutual is a joke South Range goes out and picks up a FED school. Yes they would much rather play them than the Cardinals. They would probably drop my bulldogs except Mike Pav knows he can't lose to his dumb brother.
I talked to people from both sides and the consensus was that it was mutual, neither coach knew about the game or wanted to play each other for whatever reason. The reason I asked so many people is I figured Canfield backed out, but was surprised to hear it was not the case.
Mind you I think it is stupid that we don't play South Range myself since they are only 5 minutes down 46 from Canfield.

Then you must not talk to the correct people. South Range coaches were yelling week 2 during the Parade. GUESS THEY DIDN'T KNOW
JA
I talked to coaches from both teams, and most of them didn't want to even talk about it because it was such a mess and stupid situation. I am not even allowed to go into any details of what happened.

I personally don't believe simkon has inside information. I also don't believe his anecdotes ever since he said that SR players told him they quit against Kirtland.
Well I had 5 SR players in my Sunday school class and that is what they told me. And I guess you will either believe me or not, because everyone will get pissed at me from both sides if I tell the full story. It is a bad look for both programs.

Can't look any worse than Canfield Schools and Administration does right now.
I have had several heated discussions of late with Canfield's superintendent. None of the topics discussed have had anything to do with athletics. Basically I was saying that we need to act in the best interests of 99% of the students and community because we cannot afford to accommodate the unique needs of 100% of the students and the community. Acting in the best interests of the students with the unique needs is not in the best interests of the other 99% of the students and community. We need to make a lot of concessions in various areas because the money won't magically appear out of thin air to build new schools and have everything you want. The school administrators refuse to realize they will have to make some concessions because as is this levy won't have any chance of passing.

Canfield ducked SR and was worried about losing more Canfield kids to SR. That’s reality, even tho your sources are Canfield people.

also I know many many very religious kids, I don’t think I’ve seen many go to Sunday school while they’re in high school

Canfield ducked SR and was worried about losing more Canfield kids to SR. That’s reality, even tho your sources are Canfield people.

also I know many many very religious kids, I don’t think I’ve seen many go to Sunday school while they’re in high school
I talked to South Range coaches also, I actually know the Rach family from playing football for Canfield back in the 90’s myself. And I can send you a private message if you wish of some of the names of the kids I have had over the years in my Sunday school class from South Range.