URSULINE & CARDINAL MOONEY IN 2023?

I understand, but Mooney has closed the gap on Ursuline, during the last 3 years or so
How so? They had a slight enrollment boost but it wasn't dramatic as far as I can tell. (Unless you know something I don't know.) At the same time Ursuline's numbers went up too, with the largest enrollment in 27 years. CM's CB is based on their rich history I would guess, not on the last 3 years, although they have certainly improved and came very close to upsetting Ursuline. They still have that "Mooney Family" thing going on that will help them. Nevertheless the southside remains the "Gunfight at the OK Corral." Loyalty only goes so far (despite a long standing fan base that some of us uncharitably christened "the Mooney loonies") when it comes to your child's safety. And even if the coach is as pure as the driven snow, the perception in the community outside of Mooney is otherwise. The new administration wanted to take the school in a whole new direction and then caved when parents piled on. Is the tail still wagging the dog on Erie Street? Then again I'm not infallible and may be blinded by my loyalty to Ursuline.

Too many people tend to base the quality of the school on the quality of the football program.

Let’s just be brutally honest….Mooney is a mess. it doesn’t matter that their football program has improved incrementally. Everything else is an abject disaster. Anybody with any knowledge of the situation is well aware of it. Don’t convince yourself into believing otherwise.

Finally, despite my obvious and long standing bias, I take no pleasure in this. It’s a downright shame that it has come to this. Extremely poor management and awful leadership for an extended period of time. Lots of blame to go around.

Too many people tend to base the quality of the school on the quality of the football program.

Let’s just be brutally honest….Mooney is a mess. it doesn’t matter that their football program has improved incrementally. Everything else is an abject disaster. Anybody with any knowledge of the situation is well aware of it. Don’t convince yourself into believing otherwise.

Finally, despite my obvious and long standing bias, I take no pleasure in this. It’s a downright shame that it has come to this. Extremely poor management and awful leadership for an extended period of time. Lots of blame to go around.
Sounds similar to JFK

Ursuline has 31 incoming freshman football players. There will be 74 or so players total on the roster. The future is very bright for the Irish.
"For UHS we know that you'll do your best so come on fight, fight Ursuline High!"

No, they haven’t lol. Mooney is still facing all the same issues they were 3 years ago. Outside of football success, school doesn’t have long.
Football forum here, so strictly talking about football. That is why I didn't even respond to some of the other posts, because they were talking about all the other things

I don’t think that’s a smart move if he actually wants to play football, best of luck to him. I can see caffey from Hubbard transferring soon, that RB room Is loaded
Agreed, tough to make it as a walk on but some kids want different things. Best of luck to the young man, Xavier Johnson OSU’s Swiss Army knife was a walk on and earned a scholarship after 3 years

Football forum here, so strictly talking about football. That is why I didn't even respond to some of the other posts, because they were talking about all the other things
Athletics do not exist in a vacuum, disconnected from the realities ("all the other things") impacting the school.

Football is the same thing. Ursuline is in Columbus every year it seems. Or canton I mean

No, they haven’t lol. Mooney is still facing all the same issues they were 3 years ago. Outside of football success, school doesn’t have long.
Perhaps a "Youngstown Central Catholic" is destined for the Wick Avenue site? Good luck to the Diocese in trying to selling the CM campus. The "Irish Cardinals" with their colors of "cardinal red & kelly green"? My guess is that when this happens (inevitable as the Valley continues to shrink) they will retain the two historic names ("Ursuline-Cardinal Mooney" or "Cardinal Mooney-Ursuline"). Folks in leadership at UHS have said that they could absorb the Mooney students tomorrow. Great leadership there. Alumni will fret but kids can roll with anything. (I think the school should be named for Daniel Shehy [She-hee], Irish immigrant in whose home, lower eastside, Bishop Edward Dominic Fenwick, OP [the apostle of Ohio and 1st bishop of the Diocese of Cincinnati] may very well have celebrated the first mass in Youngstown.) A Division II football powerhouse. Hell then NOBODY in the valley will schedule them!

Perhaps a "Youngstown Central Catholic" is destined for the Wick Avenue site? Good luck to the Diocese in trying to selling the CM campus. The "Irish Cardinals" with their colors of "cardinal red & kelly green"? My guess is that when this happens (inevitable as the Valley continues to shrink) they will retain the two historic names ("Ursuline-Cardinal Mooney" or "Cardinal Mooney-Ursuline"). Folks in leadership at UHS have said that they could absorb the Mooney students tomorrow. Great leadership there. Alumni will fret but kids can roll with anything. (I think the school should be named for Daniel Shehy [She-hee], Irish immigrant in whose home, lower eastside, Bishop Edward Dominic Fenwick, OP [the apostle of Ohio and 1st bishop of the Diocese of Cincinnati] may very well have celebrated the first mass in Youngstown.) A Division II football powerhouse. Hell then NOBODY in the valley will schedule them!
I feel like that school should already exist somewhere near YSU. But a lot of people have to die off first unfortunately.

Agreed, tough to make it as a walk on but some kids want different things. Best of luck to the young man, Xavier Johnson OSU’s Swiss Army knife was a walk on and earned a scholarship after 3 years
Also, they just signed a couple big time RB in the next 2 classes

Ok. I guess you didn't understand what I said either. Lol
Mooney hasn’t closed the gap competitively against Ursuline. Ursuline is still a much much better program. Mooney has a few kids and can win a few division 5 playoff games though. Ursuline can win a state championship. Biiiiiig difference.

Mooney hasn’t closed the gap competitively against Ursuline. Ursuline is still a much much better program. Mooney has a few kids and can win a few division 5 playoff games though. Ursuline can win a state championship. Biiiiiig difference.
According to that Chardon Hilltopper fan Ursuline was garbage last year and would have gotten steamrolled by Glenville.

Ok, if you think so. Sure they're better right now, just saying Mooney has made improvements going forward here. Lol

Last edited:
According to that Chardon Hilltopper fan Ursuline was garbage last year and would have gotten steamrolled by Glenville.
Ursuline wasn’t garbage but Glenville of old is back and they would of steam rolled any Mahoning Valley opponent last season

I feel like that school should already exist somewhere near YSU. But a lot of people have to die off first unfortunately.
Ursuline already exists "somewhere near YSU" (a block away). Alums will bulk, yes, but the bishop must put the students and families first and what's best for Catholic education in the Valley. Mooney alums hardly came through when the school wanted to move to the south-west suburbs along with the population. DeBartlo (CM) & Cafaro (UHS) continue on as "sugar-daddies," but that well will eventually run dry. The alumni/legacy base for the schools can't compare to the likes of Ignatius or X and other Catholic institutions state wide because thousands have migrated far from Youngstown. Alums bulked and protested when Purcell & Marian & Regina/ St. Vincent & St. Mary/ Roger Bacon & OLA/ St. Joe & Villa Angela/ Chaminade & Juliene/ Mercy & McAuley/ etc. merged. Many of those schools are now thriving and even have waiting lists. Pastors in the parishes supplementing CM & UHS count more to the chancery than unhappy alums. And the pastors of the parishes in the Diocese of Youngstown are anxious to see it happen. Alums will get over it (or not).

Is it true that the Y-Town mob has Jimmy Hoffa buried under the front entrance to Mooney ? Or was that Pelini's back yard? When the school closes and is torn down what bones will they find?

They're now division 4.

Any chance Ursuline, Mooney and Kennedy make it right for the area and all combine into one big Catholic school?
It's highly unlikely that all 3 would combine. Mooney and Ursuline may be a possibility at some point but it isn't a given. Most of Kennedy's students come from warren and parts north. I can't see many traveling to Youngstown if Kennedy were to close.