What are you folks' opinion regarding the 12-team playoff?

SWGA Fan

1. Should every Power Five Conference champion get in, regardless of ranking?
2. Should EVERY DI conference warrant a champion being included?
3. Should it merely be the BEST 12 available, per strength of schedule?
4. Should the top four rated teams get a first round-bye regardless of being a conference champion, with a second-round home game?
And the remaining eight playing each other in the first round, with the four higher seeds having home field advantage?
5. Or some other scenario I haven't considered?

Last edited:

4. Should the top four rated champions get a first round-bye regardless of being a conference champion, with a second-round home game?
And the remaining eight playing each other in the first round, with the four higher seeds having home field advantage?

Its the NFL minor leagues and it does not matter

I'd prefer 8 teams, no byes. Include the champ from each power 5 conference, at large bids after that. It's going to be rare that you have a conference that 3 teams that should get in.
AND... this needs to be communicated NOW! This playoff DOES NOT MEAN it's the top 8 teams. You are never going to get a consensus on the top 2, top 4, top 8, top 16 teams. If you don't get your conferences automatic bid, you have little to complain about.

I'd prefer 8 teams, no byes. Include the champ from each power 5 conference, at large bids after that. It's going to be rare that you have a conference that 3 teams that should get in.
AND... this needs to be communicated NOW! This playoff DOES NOT MEAN it's the top 8 teams. You are never going to get a consensus on the top 2, top 4, top 8, top 16 teams. If you don't get your conferences automatic bid, you have little to complain about.
BUT, BUT, BUT, three at large teams would most likely eliminate any deserving team from outside that Power Five grouping. Like say, your buddies, the fightin leprechauns of NOOOO tra DAME, or lest we mention the TWO LANE Greenies, who just WHACKED the Southern Cal Fightin Condoms!

CMON now fella. If THAT'S your attitude, WHY play for a STATE championship, with so many of the HAVES always winning that title with recruited up teams

it's about setting adolescents out on a quest, for the sake of the quest, really, its not about who ends up winning the prize, its about striving for excellence. Only one team in each division wins the prize but you have to have all 700 teams start the season with equal chance of winning right? Well they all have to have equal chance in THEORY. Right? Tut tut you say the same teams are winning every year and the attendance at State Championship weekend is sagging because of State Championship Game Fatigue due to the recruiting etc?

Well what you sow, so shall you also surely reap, right?

in the end, it matters only that each individual truly dedicated himself to the quest: he wins even though his team or school never had a chance to win the prize because his best team mates were recruited away to another school. Its easy to get high school kids to buy into some impossible quest. they really DO all believe they have a chance, though, because if not, how do you get them to go to workouts etc? How do you get them to join the quest if they don't really think they have a chance at the big prize? (honor and glory prize but NO money but THATS OK!

plus it's cheap entertainment compared to the real Pros and big college game: pseudo-professional entertainment: exceedingly cheap since the professional talent doesn't get paid, but does everything a real professional does, year round. high school talent does a pretty good job of approximating professional talent and in some ways is superior to professional football players as to the entertainment value of their performance. which is what its all about. sell the entertainment value of the performance and share none of it with the performer! Its like taking candy from a baby. In fact it IS taking candy from a baby, but the baby doesn't care. he thinks he's getting his big chance, and he IS!

And BUT...... just wait until NIL gets to HS. Wow, just think of the guys lining up to get into St Eds, Big Moe, etc. Mater Dei. St John's Bosco: here we come!

So long Ohio, we're going where the MONEY is.

Bye Bye Ohio, Helloooooo Connecticut

1681171205902.png

So what is NIL going to do to the price of a ticket to go see Big Ig play Mentor or Moeller or St X or Upper Arlington, do you think?

HUH? lets hear the wise heads on this one I'm ALL ears.

I'm good with the 12 team playoff format coming. Using FPI to determine rankings,
2022 would look like this:

Conf Champs- Top 4 FPI receive byes
ACC- Clemson (11-2) FPI 9th (auto-bid)
B12- Kansas State (10-3) FPI 11th
B10- Michigan (13-0) FPI 4th (auto-bid)
P12- Utah (10-3) FPI 7th (auto-bid)
SEC- Georgia (13-0) FPI 1st (auto-bid)

Georgia, Michigan, Utah, Clemson (byes)

First Round: (Highest FPI in parentheses)
Highest FPI Hosts
(2) Alabama hosts (12) Florida State
(3) Ohio State hosts (11) Kansas State
(5) Tennessee hosts (6) Texas
(8) Penn State hosts (10) TCU

2nd Round, reseed (Neutral Sites)
-If all home teams won-
(1) Georgia vs (9) Clemson
(2) Alabama vs (8) Penn State
(3) Ohio State vs (7) Utah
(4) Michigan vs (5) Tennessee

3rd Round, reseed (Neutral Sites)
-If all home teams won-
(1) Georgia vs (4) Michigan
(2) Alabama vs (3) Ohio State

National Title (Neutral Site)

4. Should the top four rated teams get a first round-bye regardless of being a conference champion, with a second-round home game?
1. No, I think the top 6 Conference Champs should get an auto bid, so essentially 6 auto-bids and 6 at-large spots. If you end up with a year where one P5 Conference isn't very good, they shouldn't automatically get a seat at the table.
2. No, not every conference is deserving of receiving an auto bid, now if the Playoff were 16 or 24, then maybe I could get on board with auto-bids for all ten D1 Conferences.
3. No, auto bids for Conference Champions is a good, if you took the best 12, there maybe some years you end up with 5-6 teams from one conference.
4. No, I like the top 4 Conference Champs getting byes, again rewards being a conference champion. There have been years recently where a team doesn't even make the conference title game and still sneaks into the 4-team Playoff because they're ranked higher, essentially being rewarded for not playing an extra game.

After Oklahoma, Texas, SC and UCLA switch conferences will there still be 5 power conferences?
Depends on what happens with the Pac 12 and then eventually the ACC.

If the Pac 12 breaks up with teams going to the Big12 and B1G, then I think you'll see the Power 5, fall to the Power 4.

I think people will be surprised by the number of upsets. I don't think it will be as common as people assume it will be for 1-4 to end up semi-finalists.
#1 and #2 are nearly locks. After that it can be a toss up. For instance, Michigan last year. They were #3 and honestly, they realistically was 8-9-10. That Michigan team loses 3-4 games in the SEC or Big 12. Let's face it, it's all about getting the big names / big fan bases in the playoffs.

With 12 teams and the top 4 getting byes.
Forget there are conferences.
Take the top 12 ranked teams.
1 thru 4 get byes.
12 at 5
11 at 6
10 at 7
9 at 8
The lowest remaining team plays 1
Second lowest 2
Third lowest 3
Highest 4
If you want a chance to play, win and get into the top 12.

RARE you say? How bout just LAST season, when the top three in the SEC and Big Ten should have garnered a berth. WHICH team outside of those two conferences, would have been legit seventh and eighth seeds?

To be honoest. At
After Oklahoma, Texas, SC and UCLA switch conferences will there still be 5 power conferences?
WELL, at THIS writing, I'm not convinced that there are even more than TWO power conferences. The ACC MAY be coming back, with North Carolina, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State on the rise. But the REST are HOT GARBAGE going forward.

I think people will be surprised by the number of upsets. I don't think it will be as common as people assume it will be for 1-4 to end up semi-finalists.
TRUE, because it appears that MEEchigan can't beat ANYBODY not named Ohio State.

#1 and #2 are nearly locks. After that it can be a toss up. For instance, Michigan last year. They were #3 and honestly, they realistically was 8-9-10. That Michigan team loses 3-4 games in the SEC or Big 12. Let's face it, it's all about getting the big names / big fan bases in the playoffs.
If you think that 1 & 2 are locks. You MAY wanna talk to Penn State, Ohio State, MEEchigan, UGA, Ala., AND LSU!:rolleyes:

it's about setting adolescents out on a quest, for the sake of the quest, really, its not about who ends up winning the prize, its about striving for excellence. Only one team in each division wins the prize but you have to have all 700 teams start the season with equal chance of winning right? Well they all have to have equal chance in THEORY. Right? Tut tut you say the same teams are winning every year and the attendance at State Championship weekend is sagging because of State Championship Game Fatigue due to the recruiting etc?

Well what you sow, so shall you also surely reap, right?

in the end, it matters only that each individual truly dedicated himself to the quest: he wins even though his team or school never had a chance to win the prize because his best team mates were recruited away to another school. Its easy to get high school kids to buy into some impossible quest. they really DO all believe they have a chance, though, because if not, how do you get them to go to workouts etc? How do you get them to join the quest if they don't really think they have a chance at the big prize? (honor and glory prize but NO money but THATS OK!

plus it's cheap entertainment compared to the real Pros and big college game: pseudo-professional entertainment: exceedingly cheap since the professional talent doesn't get paid, but does everything a real professional does, year round. high school talent does a pretty good job of approximating professional talent and in some ways is superior to professional football players as to the entertainment value of their performance. which is what its all about. sell the entertainment value of the performance and share none of it with the performer! Its like taking candy from a baby. In fact it IS taking candy from a baby, but the baby doesn't care. he thinks he's getting his big chance, and he IS!

And BUT...... just wait until NIL gets to HS. Wow, just think of the guys lining up to get into St Eds, Big Moe, etc. Mater Dei. St John's Bosco: here we come!

So long Ohio, we're going where the MONEY is.

Bye Bye Ohio, Helloooooo Connecticut

View attachment 40697

So what is NIL going to do to the price of a ticket to go see Big Ig play Mentor or Moeller or St X or Upper Arlington, do you think?

HUH? lets hear the wise heads on this one I'm ALL ears.
GEEEEZ dude, whatEVER you have to pay, will only get you to the price point that we ignorant Georgians have been paying for a DECADE or more! TEN DOLLARS American, for regular season games. And the playoffs go from eight, to twelve, to fifteen, to eighteen, to twenty-five, plus parking and surreal culinary pricing.

With 12 teams and the top 4 getting byes.
Forget there are conferences.
Take the top 12 ranked teams.
1 thru 4 get byes.
12 at 5
11 at 6
10 at 7
9 at 8
The lowest remaining team plays 1
Second lowest 2
Third lowest 3
Highest 4
If you want a chance to play, win and get into the top 12.
Me LIKEY! :giggle:

Depends on what happens with the Pac 12 and then eventually the ACC.

If the Pac 12 breaks up with teams going to the Big12 and B1G, then I think you'll see the Power 5, fall to the Power 4.
I'm thinking that the ACC will make a push to invite Notre Dame, Memphis, UCF, Louisville, Tulane, and South Florida, into the fold.

And I think that the Pac 12 would be well suited to invite Boise State and San Diego State, as well.

RARE you say? How bout just LAST season, when the top three in the SEC and Big Ten should have garnered a berth. WHICH team outside of those two conferences, would have been legit seventh and eighth seeds?
Top 3 in the big ten? Only Michigan should had made it.

Sometimes you post stuff that can make a little sense. Then you post something ignorant like this.
Let's see TCU beat Michigan, and Michigan destroyed Ohio State in Columbus. How do you think any of the big ten teams could had competed in the SEC??

Let's see TCU beat Michigan, and Michigan destroyed Ohio State in Columbus. How do you think any of the big ten teams could had competed in the SEC??
You pick one Ohio State game, and forget about the game against Georgia. Even Kirby Smart said Ohio State probably should have won that game. Let your goofy spin begin.

You pick one Ohio State game, and forget about the game against Georgia. Even Kirby Smart said Ohio State probably should have won that game. Let your goofy spin begin.
Like every single year, we never know how good the big ten is until the end of the season. I'd like just one season for Ohio State to have to play multiple big games instead of the last one with Michigan, and that's only relevant sometimes. That cumulation of tough game after tough game catches up to teams. That's why I feel Ohio State/ Michigan would lose 2-3-4 games in the rugged SEC.

Like every single year, we never know how good the big ten is until the end of the season. I'd like just one season for Ohio State to have to play multiple big games instead of the last one with Michigan, and that's only relevant sometimes. That cumulation of tough game after tough game catches up to teams. That's why I feel Ohio State/ Michigan would lose 2-3-4 games in the rugged SEC.

http://www.secsportsfan.com/big-ten...xt=the all time record is,favor of the BIG 10.

the all time record is 94-87-7 in favor of the BIG 10.