D3 Dayton Tournament

SWOHHoops

Tournament seeding is going on so I thought I would get the conversation started:

1-5: Between East/PS/Dixie/Carlisle/TV. If voters wait until Friday games and PS beats TV I think they get the 2. If TV gets the win it goes East/TV/PS/Carlisle/Dixie

The three scariest teams that won't get high seeds are Versailles (6-9), Anna (7-13) and Indian Lake (9-9). A couple years ago Versailles came in at 7-14 and ran through to the district championship. They just beat Russia who is better than just about everyone on the top 5s schedule. Anna plays in the SCAL and only lost to East by 11. Indian Lake has one of the best individual players in the tournament and spends the season playing mainly D2s and lost to Worthington Chr (top 10 in Ohio) by 5.

Hey SW I do not think voters can wait until Sunday. I believe votes have to be in Thursday. Preface that remark by admitting that I have heard/read that the process may have changed since I last reviewed it. Would appreciate any procedural updates you might be able to offer. For instance, I read on one thread that there may be a some psuedo RPI type rating that coaches can/may/must consider when casting seeding votes???? Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Hey SW I do not think voters can wait until Sunday. I believe votes have to be in Thursday. Preface that remark by admitting that I have heard/read that the process may have changed since I last reviewed it. Would appreciate any procedural updates you might be able to offer. For instance, I read on one thread that there may be a some psuedo RPI type rating that coaches can/may/must consider when casting seeding votes???? Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
Coaches have until Saturday at noon to vote so Friday night results can be considered, but Saturday night could not.

NWOH is using Martin RPI instead of coaches vote to seed this year. I have been active on that thread with my thoughts to say the least 🤣 . Some say that is what OHSAA wants used all over Ohio eventually.

Coaches have until Saturday at noon to vote so Friday night results can be considered, but Saturday night could not.

NWOH is using Martin RPI instead of coaches vote to seed this year. I have been active on that thread with my thoughts to say the least 🤣 . Some say that is what OHSAA wants used all over Ohio eventually.
I detest all RPI/POLLS/STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE/ anything else that potentially brings opinion into ranking teams. In my opinion seed strictly on won/loss records and break ties with rock/scissors/paper/lizard/Spock.

I detest all RPI/POLLS/STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE/ anything else that potentially brings opinion into ranking teams. In my opinion seed strictly on won/loss records and break ties with rock/scissors/paper/lizard/Spock.
You can't seed strictly on won/loss records. There is way too much difference in schedule strength to do that. A 3 loss D3 team that played 3 D1's and 4 D2's would very likely be more deserving of a higher seed than a 2 loss D3 that played 10 D3's and 12 D4's, which you do run into quite a bit....especially in D3. Look at Martin RPI and compare the strength of schedules of the top teams to some teams with really good records that have an SOS near 100 (or worse)

I prefer the way we have done it, coaches vote.

Whats the d3 cincinnati look like for the district matchups?
I've seen some of them but not all, someone else may have a better handle on it but I believe Greeneview and Madeira and SCD will be top seeds and then there are a few capable teams but I think these three and Gtown are probably the top. I believe Dayton is better this year.

From what i was told, The window was open Sunday- Wednesday to put records in. Friday Games will not count before they have to be turned in. Dixie loses tonight to Madison will hurt their chances of a top 3 seed. If i was to bet i would say Miami East, Preble, Carlisle. Will be intersting though if they use RPI Carlisle beat Fenwick and Shawnee lost to them. On the other Hand Shawnee handled Carlisle pretty well. Wonder how they will look at it?

From what i was told, The window was open Sunday- Wednesday to put records in. Friday Games will not count before they have to be turned in. Dixie loses tonight to Madison will hurt their chances of a top 3 seed. If i was to bet i would say Miami East, Preble, Carlisle. Will be intersting though if they use RPI Carlisle beat Fenwick and Shawnee lost to them. On the other Hand Shawnee handled Carlisle pretty well. Wonder how they will look at it?
Looks like you're correct in regards to inputting the records. But coaches can wait to vote until noon on Saturday I believe so I think coaches can consider Friday results if they wait to vote.

Looks like you're correct in regards to inputting the records. But coaches can wait to vote until noon on Saturday I believe so I think coaches can consider Friday results if they wait to vote.

TV or Preble winner would really improve seeding, I would Imagine. Big game then for seeding purposes.

Tournament seeding is going on so I thought I would get the conversation started:

1-5: Between East/PS/Dixie/Carlisle/TV. If voters wait until Friday games and PS beats TV I think they get the 2. If TV gets the win it goes East/TV/PS/Carlisle/Dixie

The three scariest teams that won't get high seeds are Versailles (6-9), Anna (7-13) and Indian Lake (9-9). A couple years ago Versailles came in at 7-14 and ran through to the district championship. They just beat Russia who is better than just about everyone on the top 5s schedule. Anna plays in the SCAL and only lost to East by 11. Indian Lake has one of the best individual players in the tournament and spends the season playing mainly D2s and lost to Worthington Chr (top 10 in Ohio) by 5.
Nobody wants to see Versailles in their bracket. They will almost matchup with anyone.

I think you are overlooking Waynesville. They just beat the DII 19th Martin RPI Miami Trace tonight at Miami Trace

Giving 3 of the top 5 seeds to one conference rarely happens. I would say Dixie will be in the 6-8 slot.

The Tri Village vs Preble Shawnee game will shuffle their position but I think both are top 5. I do not think Tri Village can jump over East even with a win over Shawnee. But a Shawnee win, especially a decisive win of 5-10 points over Tri Village could vault them over East. East's loss to Troy Christian was followed up last night with a 12 point win over near conference bottom Riverside. Losing to Fenwick may seem bad to the casual fan, but coaches know how difficult playing GCL coed teams can be.

A Shawnee win:

1 ps 2 East 3 Carlisle 4 TV 5 Versailles

A TV win:

1East 2 TV 3 Shawnee 4 Carlisle 5 Versailles

Contenders for top 5 seed- Waynesville, Dixie, Indian lake, Brookville, Anna in that order.

Waynesville is the odd team out as they play so few teams who cross paths with the rest of the field.

Last edited:
Giving 3 of the top 5 seeds to one conference rarely happens. I would say Dixie will be in the 6-8 slot.

The Tri Village vs Preble Shawnee game will shuffle their position but I think both are top 5. I do not think Tri Village can jump over East even with a win over Shawnee. But a Shawnee win, especially a decisive win of 5-10 points over Tri Village could vault them over East. East's loss to Troy Christian was followed up last night with a 12 point win over near conference bottom Riverside. Losing to Fenwick may seem bad to the casual fan, but coaches know how difficult playing GCL coed teams can be.

A Shawnee win:

1 ps 2 East 3 Carlisle 4 TV 5 Versailles

A TV win:

1East 2 TV 3 Shawnee 4 Carlisle 5 Versailles

Contenders for top 5 seed- Waynesville, Dixie, Indian lake, Brookville, Anna in that order.

Waynesville is the odd team out as they play so few teams who cross paths with the rest of the field.
Dixie's loss to Madison sends them to 6-8 for sure.

Versailles is probably a top 5 team but I don't see them being seeded there. If it does happen that will make for a great discussion in the Martin RPI thread!! 🤣

Dixie's loss to Madison sends them to 6-8 for sure.

Versailles is probably a top 5 team but I don't see them being seeded there. If it does happen that will make for a great discussion in the Martin RPI thread!! 🤣
For sure on Versailles. As I posted my thoughts I realized there is a significant difference between what i think will happen, and what i think should happen.

The MAC schools are always better than their records.
Looks like they get a bye and then get the winner of Milton vs Valley View. Could be interesting if Milton gets back to 100% with Brumbaugh.

Dixie got the 5 over Waynesville and Versailles. Dixie will not make it past two games, and perhaps not one IMO.

I find it interesting that Carlisle went after Miami East instead of Tri-Village. Tri Village becomes recipient of the easiest draw and if somebody could knock them off you may end up with an interesting team in the regional finals

The MAC schools are always better than their records.
Looks like they get a bye and then get the winner of Milton vs Valley View. Could be interesting if Milton gets back to 100% with Brumbaugh.
Is brumbaugh back? I saw he was in their last home game and went 1-1. Wasn't sure if that was a senior night start or is he actually back.

I find it interesting that Carlisle went after Miami East instead of Tri-Village. Tri Village becomes recipient of the easiest draw and if somebody could knock them off you may end up with an interesting team in the regional finals
Very interesting move by Carlisle, probably figured East has two guards and the Indians size could benefit them. Their bracket got even harder when Indian Lake jumped on them and Anna followed suit. Toughest draw for a top seed.

Dixie lost to Brookville this year and that is a first round game, but the Hounds also hung with TV for 3 quarters earlier this year. The bottom of that bracket should be very competitive. A TV match-up with Greeneview in the District Final is not a gimme so not sure we should talk about any of these teams in a Regional Final.

My thoughts on Carlisle jumping in on East, I believe East, Shawnee and Tri Village are really good teams. If you look at Carlisle and the matchup standpoint they match up best with East. Shawnee and TV size create problems for Carlisle. I find it odd Indian Lake and Anna both jumped in as well. I’m sure Carlisle didn’t think they would jump in with East as well. Definitely will be a challenge for the 1 seed to come out. Whoever they get. I believe East already beat Anna. Indian Lake has a nice guard, Carlisle has a good starting 5 they can compete and score different ways. Will be interesting.

Just seems odd when teams further south are in the Dayton bracket.
It's odd. I'm not sure how it was arrived at with them being chosen to be moved, but over the last maybe five years the Dayton draw has added a handful of teams from north of I-70 that have dropped from D2. D3 seems to have a lot of moving parts now at the upper and lower ends of the enrollment spectrum, almost all of which are schools north of I-70.

Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, and maybe even Dixie are all schools that it would make more sense to me to have go to Cincinnati than Greeneview.

It's odd. I'm not sure how it was arrived at with them being chosen to be moved, but over the last maybe five years the Dayton draw has added a handful of teams from north of I-70 that have dropped from D2. D3 seems to have a lot of moving parts now at the upper and lower ends of the enrollment spectrum, almost all of which are schools north of I-70.

Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, and maybe even Dixie are all schools that it would make more sense to me to have go to Cincinnati than Greeneview.
Waynesville is roughly 30 minutes southwest of Greeneview, makes no sense!

Waynesville is roughly 30 minutes southwest of Greeneview, makes no sense!
Major head scratcher considering other options.
Screenshot_20230206-182506.png

Looking through stats and such, I saw the Smith kid from Carlisle did not play in their last game. Hope all is well and nothing major. Anyone have information on him?

Looks like a tough couple of districts that will play out for a chance to play for a district title!