Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

For all the OSU fans who want Day fired, what if Michigan had fired Harbaugh a few years ago? Pump the brakes.
Harbaugh took over a bad program.
Day took Over an awesome program.

The D was improved, without a single Knowles recruit.

Day’s play calling is the biggest problem. If he won’t give that up he needs canned.

Harbaugh took over a bad program.
Day took Over an awesome program.

The D was improved, without a single Knowles recruit.

Day’s play calling is the biggest problem. If he won’t give that up he needs canned.
I agree, play calling has been terrible!

Coach Day needs to hold himself accountable. Use the off season to study every play call, every game. Hire someone else to call plays in '23' and beyond. I feel like he is in the same boat as Kirby Smart was early on (yes, I have read that on several platforms). Identify weaknesses as a play caller, find someone to fix it, move on and get this thing going in the right direction. We have the athletes necessary to prevail. Do what's necessary. Don't be stubborn.

Lots of wild over-reactions, as usual, in Buckeyeland. "Fire everyone!" "Burn it all down!" "Stroud is awful!" Grow up you spoiled children.

I think that two things lost the game:

1) Defensively, the Bucks played a 4-2-5 all year, with 3 safeties. Played it very well, lots of zone, covered up the weak corners with safety help, and as a result only gave up one play over 60 yard in the first 11 games. Everyone ran to the ball and they mostly stopped the run also. Knowles changed it up for TTUN, focused on stopping the run, and left his corners in a lot of man coverage. It sort of worked in the first half, they smothered the run but got burned twice with the man coverage - DBs were just not good enough, and nobody seemed to know their assignments. In the second half whatever adjustments were made failed - I rarely recognized the defense they were in, but somehow there were never safeties around when #7 popped through a gap in the line. Just a disaster of a plan. If Knowles had stuck with the plan they had all year, the kids would know their assignments, and the game would have been very different.

2) Offensive plays calls were overly conservative. I think Day felt the pressure. Most obvious were the 4th downs when we were across midfield and he punted. CJ really wanted to go for that first one and we punted. That showed a lack of confidence in both the offense and the defense, and that sort of timid/nervous thinking bled down into the entire team. Everyone played nervous in the 2nd half.

I also have to say Michigan played really well. They had answers for what we tried to do, and they made no mistakes. Their DBs were better than I expected. Credit to their coaches and players.

Having said that, firing Day or Knowles would be foolish beyond belief, thankfully none of the childish OSU fans are in charge. There is a tremendous recruiting pipeline in place; hopefully both coaches learned from their mistakes Saturday, and I'd be willing to bet that OSU is right back in the conversation next year for the championship.

I'd also love to see a USC or TCU loss to let the Bucks sneak in at #4. I still think this team would be a scary draw for UGA or UM in the playoffs.

Lots of wild over-reactions, as usual, in Buckeyeland. "Fire everyone!" "Burn it all down!" "Stroud is awful!" Grow up you spoiled children.

1) Defensively, the Bucks played a 4-2-5 all year, with 3 safeties. Played it very well, lots of zone, covered up the weak corners with safety help, and as a result only gave up one play over 60 yard in the first 11 games. Everyone ran to the ball and they mostly stopped the run also. Knowles changed it up for TTUN, focused on stopping the run, and left his corners in a lot of man coverage. It sort of worked in the first half, they smothered the run but got burned twice with the man coverage - DBs were just not good enough, and nobody seemed to know their assignments. In the second half whatever adjustments were made failed - I rarely recognized the defense they were in, but somehow there were never safeties around when #7 popped through a gap in the line. Just a disaster of a plan. If Knowles had stuck with the plan they had all year, the kids would know their assignments, and the game would have been very different.

2) Offensive plays calls were overly conservative. I think Day felt the pressure. Most obvious were the 4th downs when we were across midfield and he punted. CJ really wanted to go for that first one and we punted. That showed a lack of confidence in both the offense and the defense, and that sort of timid/nervous thinking bled down into the entire team. Everyone played nervous in the 2nd half.

I also have to say Michigan played really well. They had answers for what we tried to do, and they made no mistakes. Their DBs were better than I expected. Credit to their coaches and players.

Having said that, firing Day or Knowles would be foolish beyond belief, thankfully none of the childish OSU fans are in charge. There is a tremendous recruiting pipeline in place; hopefully both coaches learned from their mistakes Saturday, and I'd be willing to bet that OSU is right back in the conversation next year for the championship.

I'd also love to see a USC or TCU loss to let the Bucks sneak in at #4. I still think this team would be a scary draw for UGA or UM in the playoffs.
OMG! I actually agree with everything you said! Must be the end of times

Buckeyes had their chance to shine. Don't deserve a Playoff

Interesting insight on TreVeyon in a since deleted tweet. Apparently attempting to answer critics that questioned his toughness and not being dressed in pads on Saturday: "You try and come practice/play with torn ligaments and a broken bone in your foot every week..." I guess we now know what OSU hadn't told us.
If we found out that he created that game plan, then we could question him.

Pretty crazy to think that OSU could back in if USC or TCU loses.

I'd kind of hate to see it, since they don't deserve it and basically quit during that Meatchicken game.
In some ways, you have to put on your tinfoil hat and think about the network $$$ cabal running this thing. OSU backs in to play Georgia in a Semifinal - which fans have been clamoring to see since the beginning of last year. OSU then pulls it off, and rematches with TTUN in the Final? Could you imagine the run-up to that game and the television number it would pull? Lol.

But in reality, would you want to put in a USC squad that lost to the same team twice?

In the past 30 hours, we are seeing, live and in living color, the crumbling of the Ohio State empire of the past two decades.

This program, while talented, is extremely soft. Made of glass. Can’t stop any good offense. Players are just at OSU biding time to try to get to the NFL.

Jim Harbaugh and Michigan punked Ohio State in Columbus yesterday and have clearly passed the Buckeyes in terms of trajectory of the program.

And in the past day, news has come out that Matt Rhule will be at Nebraska and Luke Fickell will be at Wisconsin. And in 2024, Lincoln Riley and Chip Kelly will join the conference. These are all bonafide, big-time head coaches, each of which who has won big at places that aren’t as well situated as silver-spoon Ohio State.

The end result of this is that the Ohio State dynasty over the Big Ten and Midwest is over, effective immediately. This is an earth-shattering, doomsday-scenario turn of events for scarlet and gray-clad supporters. You got turfed while supposedly riding high.

A football famine awaits in Columbus. Hope you all stocked up on your non-perishables.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Most trolls aren't this long-winded. Lol.

Ohio St is fine. They aren't at their best right now, but nothing substantial is broken. There are some problems - and the solutions were not complete enough to beat Michigan 2 days ago. They were good to adequate for 11 1/2 games. So, let's not make this bigger than it is.

A game outcome is a complex mix of many factors but I'm kinda interested in 2 in relation to this game: players making plays and the psychology of rivalry.

With players making plays, it also involves when you make them and how big the plays are. Michigan players made plays at crucial times and they were bigger. Part of that was the coaches putting them in position to do it.

And then you look at who was doing it. Both teams were missing their best RBs. Henderson was down and Miyan was some degree limited. Hayden was either hurt or not trusted, so here comes a serviceable Traynum - who did a good job, but converted from LB and had 1 carry the entire season. Michigan had Donavan Edwards who was capable of busting the game open - and did. Ohio St has more and better talent overall, but in that circumstance Saturday, Michigan had an edge and was able to exploit it.

Another example was allowing a defensive player to shot put a pass to a 3rd string TE for a crucial conversion vs nothing close to that ballsy and creative coming from the other coaching staff.

That flows into the idea of the psychology of the rivalry. We have seen over the years where, by the end of the game, one team was confident they would win and the other thought and hoped they would. The coaches of the confident team show trust in their players to make plays and take some calculated risks while the other plays it safer and limits risk.

When the score goes against them, the confident team shakes it off and keeps playing. The other team starts to commit penalties and do dumb stuff like trying to win a fight instead of the game.

Day correctly identified that his team needed "competitive stamina", but they didn't have it when they needed it. I think part of it was that Day himself undermined it with showing he did not trust his players to manage risk that was needed to win the game. There is a fine line between being reckless and taking calculated risks and a big difference between letting it all hang out and turtling. Day seemed to lean into not losing the game vs being willing to win it. I won't say he turtled, but I believe the way he approached managing the game reminded me very much how John Cooper did it - and we all know how that turned out.

I agree with you except that last paragraph. I don't want them in until Day gets his head right and they fix their secondary/pass coverage issues.

The problem is Knowles has been around awhile and for him to change the defense and to have a really bad showing is an indictment on his judgement and can he handle the pressure of a big game. Same with Day 2nd and 35, goes to 4th and 4 inside the 45 and he punts did he "choke". How long do you continue to put up with results like this. I can remember the Cooper years and I actually defended keeping Cooper (I was wrong) at least with Cooper the" game" was usually close and not OSU getting their a** kicked. For an OSU player to head butt an opposing player that was complete selfishness (a real problem IMO at OSU) and very undisciplined - a trait of the Cooper years. I will say this offense did not have the weapons on offense that it had last year, no Olave, Wilson, JSN, Henderson, Williams but the play calling and the way the players handled themselves was Cooperesque.

Unfortunately, the reign of OSU being the king of the BIG may be over with, 2001 - 2020: 11 BIG titles 2 national titles before that 1979 - 2000: 7 BIG titles. Hope I am wrong, but it takes a very good coach for a program to be top dog and I don't see Day being on par with Tressel or Meyer both who won immediately and most important beat TTUN.

Pretty crazy to think that OSU could back in if USC or TCU loses.

I'd kind of hate to see it, since they don't deserve it and basically quit during that Meatchicken game.
Of course they don’t deserve it after 365 days of arrogant fake tough guy chest pounding. A bunch of frauds after that performance. Doesn’t matter they’re in. Too much $ involved.

Michigan’s turned a corner since the Covid year going 24-2. Ohio State has failed to improve since then it’s as simple as that. All those wins they were pilling up over Michigan the past 10-20 years were over average Michigan teams mostly. From 2007-2020 Michigan didn’t finish inside the top 10 once and finished unranked 7 times. They have it rolling right now and Ohio State needs to respond. Joel Klatt had a great breakdown on his podcast this morning that is worth a listen.

I agree with you except that last paragraph. I don't want them in until Day gets his head right and they fix their secondary/pass coverage issues.
LOL. There in and Day will be always be an insecure former New Hampshire QB. TCU and SC opened as 2.5 and 1 point favorites. The fix is in, they’re both losing. OSU and Bama are in. Georgia v Bama and UM v OSU. Too good for corrupt CFP to pass up. None of you buckeye honks deserve it but you’re getting another shot. It’s nearly impossible to crap your pants 3 times in a row eh.

I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I find it weird that Michael Hall and Tyliek Williams respectively only played 17 and 13 snaps. Hall especially gets in undisciplined ruts with poor gap integrity, but with the explosive plays they gave up Saturday both of those guys should have played a lot more on the defensive interior given how much twitchier/athletic they are than the other rotational guys that dwarfed their snap counts.

Michigan’s turned a corner since the Covid year going 24-2. Ohio State has failed to improve since then it’s as simple as that. All those wins they were pilling up over Michigan the past 10-20 years were over average Michigan teams mostly. From 2007-2020 Michigan didn’t finish inside the top 10 once and finished unranked 7 times. They have it rolling right now and Ohio State needs to respond. Joel Klatt had a great breakdown on his podcast this morning that is worth a listen.
And Michigan’s best wins are against OSU and Penn State. Who would be the next best win? Just looked at their Non-Conference schedule for next year, really bad again. Their record is impressive but no more than Ohio States record.

And Michigan’s best wins are against OSU and Penn State. Who would be the next best win? Just looked at their Non-Conference schedule for next year, really bad again. Their record is impressive but no more than Ohio States record.
I think you missed my point. Expecting Ohio State to keep winning 9 out of 10 years isn’t realistic. Michigan had a lot of down periods during the last 20 years. Harbaugh’s got them playing his style of football now. The Rivalry is back. It’s up to Ohio State to figure out how to beat them now.