D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but there's no consequences to losing to St. Eds is week 5, so it's a lot easier to open it up a bit with young players. In a state semi, win or go home spot, coaches tend to play it tighter to the vest and stay in their comfort zone, unless you're a huge underdog.
That’s true. But if Massillon wants to play the following week they definitely need to throw the ball somewhat effectively and efficiently in my opinion

The key to Massillon winning will be to not mess up especially with those unnecessary penalties, and get the passing game going quickly. While I think Hartson and Pringle will score a couple times between the two of them, we can't depend on them all game. A team like Hoban will adjust quickly to shut them down, so we need other ways to score and play unpredictably. Hoban might have a good RB, but I don't think he's played a defense like the 2022 Massillon defense that I'm pretty confident will deny him. He might come strong out the gate, but once Massillon defense locks in, he better pitch a tent because he's going nowhere. I think this is going to be a game of defense.

Final score prediction: 14-10 Massillon.

That’s true. But if Massillon wants to play the following week they definitely need to throw the ball somewhat effectively and efficiently in my opinion
Agree. I think they have the potential. In fact, compared to their State Championship game vs. LaSalle a few years ago, where they had two plays in their arsenal (run between the tackles and "everyone go deep"), they've shown a lot more potential. Let's hope they use it.

Last edited:
If that were true that nobody cares, then why are you on a Massillon thread debating a Massillon vs Hoban topic game with Massillon fans? Seems to me that you care at least.
Obviously didn’t read that I said it’s cool to high school fans lol which is like 2% of the population.

No one gives 2 F’s about Massillon’s history. Yes it’s cool to high school fans but any Joe blow on the street cares less. This is why so many people on here don’t like Massillon.
And, you have won the "Most Convoluted Reasoned Post of the Day Award." How many times have you gone to take a piss and realized that you put your underwear on backwards - Again?!

No one gives 2 F’s about Massillon’s history. Yes it’s cool to high school fans but any Joe blow on the street cares less. This is why so many people on here don’t like Massillon.
As a lifetime Massillon fan I didn’t know people didn’t like us. LOL. As a Hoban alum, you should understand why people don’t like Hoban. However, that loathing has only lasted for around 10 years. With Massillon, it’s been around 100 years.🤔

I 100% understand why people don’t like Hoban and believe I have even said why I personally am not a fan of how Hoban has been doing things lol

If the Offensive Coordinator doesn't have a game plan where he mixes up the play calling between what the defense is allowing, it'll be another predictable loss, mainly from being outcoached.

We have enough possible mismatches to take advantage of them overplaying the run or double teaming our best receiver. With an all-county tight end there's no reason that we can't adjust and keep them off balance. Slowing down a defense that had 6 sacks against Hudson.

We've all seen state playoff games where we predictably think we can go in with the same game plan we've had all season. By the second quarter we're a couple TD's down and they can play conservative and run the clock.

Will the weather restrict our play calling or the failure to incorporate it, throughout the season hinder our execution.

We have the talent to match up with them, will our game plan give us a chance?

As a lifetime Massillon fan I didn’t know people didn’t like us. LOL. As a Hoban alum, you should understand why people don’t like Hoban. However, that loathing has only lasted for around 10 years. With Massillon, it’s been around 100 years.🤔
When your small city in Ohio is "THE High School Football Capital of the World," well, fans can be a little obnoxious. But, McKinley fans are obnoxious. Catholic Boys schools, especially some of the classless student sections, are really obnoxious. Ohio State fans are REALLY obnoxious but not as obnoxious as TTUN fans who are the MOST obnoxious. Pots calling kettles black are obnoxious, but not as obnoxious as the kettles calling pots black.

As a somewhat obnoxious Tiger fan, here's looking forward to two great teams clashing this Friday, with their obnoxious fan bases cheering them on.(y)

If the Offensive Coordinator doesn't have a game plan where he mixes up the play calling between what the defense is allowing, it'll be another predictable loss, mainly from being outcoached.

We have enough possible mismatches to take advantage of them overplaying the run or double teaming our best receiver. With an all-county tight end there's no reason that we can't adjust and keep them off balance. Slowing down a defense that had 6 sacks against Hudson.

We've all seen state playoff games where we predictably think we can go in with the same game plan we've had all season. By the second quarter we're a couple TD's down and they can play conservative and run the clock.

Will the weather restrict our play calling or the failure to incorporate it, throughout the season hinder our execution.

We have the talent to match up with them, will our game plan give us a chance?
This is one of my main concerns. We have shown glimpses of what this offense is capable of but only on rare occasions. Will we be able to execute against a great team when we need it?

When your small city in Ohio is "THE High School Football Capital of the World," well, fans can be a little obnoxious. But, McKinley fans are obnoxious. Catholic Boys schools, especially some of the classless student sections, are really obnoxious. Ohio State fans are REALLY obnoxious but not as obnoxious as TTUN fans who are the MOST obnoxious. Pots calling kettles black are obnoxious, but not as obnoxious as the kettles calling pots black.

As a somewhat obnoxious Tiger fan, here's looking forward to two great teams clashing this Friday, with their obnoxious fan bases cheering them on.(y)
ALL fan bases have obnoxious fans.
I agree, we all should be looking forward for these 2 great teams playing on Friday night.🐅

Trusted him to throw it 32 times against eds so we shall see
They did a great job against Eds, of getting the ball out of Slaughter's hand quickly, given the threat both Kilbane and Gedeon bode. Neither got to Jalen until late 4th quarter, and only once each. Crable may be Hobans top threat of pressure off the edge, leading the Knights in sacks.

The key to Massillon winning will be to not mess up especially with those unnecessary penalties, and get the passing game going quickly. While I think Hartson and Pringle will score a couple times between the two of them, we can't depend on them all game. A team like Hoban will adjust quickly to shut them down, so we need other ways to score and play unpredictably. Hoban might have a good RB, but I don't think he's played a defense like the 2022 Massillon defense that I'm pretty confident will deny him. He might come strong out the gate, but once Massillon defense locks in, he better pitch a tent because he's going nowhere. I think this is going to be a game of defense.

Final score prediction: 14-10 Massillon.
He did play against Ed's. I would say that is the best defense he played against all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.