Week 13: Division III Region 9 Semifinal #3 Ursuline Fighting Irish (10-2) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Is Canfield going to get a chance to avenge their loss to Chardon last year or will the Irish get a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know a kid who is a QB who will be a Freshmen next year who lives in Boardman school district, however he is going to Ursuline.
As far as money goes if you figure $2 a car times 4000 cars that is $8,000 right there if you get a good turnout.
Who is he the QB for now? I’m just wondering, because I can say I know the Boardman QB, as well as the St Christine’s/catholic schools QB, as well as the Canfield QB.

Who is he the QB for now? I’m just wondering, because I can say I know the Boardman QB, as well as the St Christine’s/catholic schools QB, as well as the Canfield QB.
I just know he lives in Boardman school district right now and is going to attend Ursuline next year. His first name is Landon.

To clear up some information from this thread. Boardman wanted and completely expected to have Mooney SR. They were equally as shocked not to get it. My guess is that the state made sure a bigger division game got the biggest stadium as illogical as it is location wise. Finally the qb is Landon Duble, he was a freshman at Ursuline THIS YEAR. His dad is a U alum and with the Antram situation they decided to leave. Now can you Jabronis talk about the game at hand.

Finally the qb is Landon Duble, he was a freshman at Ursuline THIS YEAR. His dad is a U alum and with the Antram situation they decided to leave. Now can you Jabronis talk about the game at hand.
Sorry lost track of what grade he was in, my apologies.

Besides Lowry who are the playmaker for Canfield?. I only saw them against Chaney and can only recall Broc w/ the majority of yards.
I think everyone knows the playmakers for the Irish by now

Besides Lowry who are the playmaker for Canfield?. I only saw them against Chaney and can only recall Broc w/ the majority of yards.
I think everyone knows the playmakers for the Irish by now
They have a very well rounded team, and don't really have any other exceptional players. They are very team oriented and will just pass to whoever is open and share the carries between 3 or 4 HB/TBs and FBs.
Here is a list of 10 key players
#11 Danny Inglis HB/LB
#12 Broc Lowry QB/DB
#26 Joel Miasek K
#27 Dom Marzano FB/LB
#33 Scottie Eaton HB/FS
#86 Hunter Kanotz TE/DE
Anothony Mazella WR
Jace Jaffer WR
Paul Bindas QB/WR/DB
Jack Davis WR/KR/PR/DB

They are calling for a 50% chance for rain on Friday night. Canfield has a few kids out due to injury, I think Cocoa a LB for Canfield is out for the season. The key matchups will be Lowry vs the Ursuline DL and LBs, and if Ursuline has to walk up their SS/DBs to help in run defense then it will open up the passing game. Ursuline will have to look out for the play action pass, sneaking a TE in the middle of the field. Canfield will have to be careful on defense, to not have any blown coverages, to not over pursue, and to not miss tackles.
That kid was a safety and got hurt early in the WB game and was lost for the season.
They are calling for a 50% chance for rain on Friday night. Canfield has a few kids out due to injury, I think Cocoa a LB for Canfield is out for the season. The key matchups will be Lowry vs the Ursuline DL and LBs, and if Ursuline has to walk up their SS/DBs to help in run defense then it will open up the passing game. Ursuline will have to look out for the play action pass, sneaking a TE in the middle of the field. Canfield will have to be careful on defense, to not have any blown coverages, to not over pursue, and to not miss tackles.
That kid played in the secondary and went down early in the WB game for the year. Other than the assorted bumps and bruises accumulated over 13 weeks of play, Canfield as of right now should be at full strength Friday.

That kid was a safety and got hurt early in the WB game and was lost for the season.
That kid played in the secondary and went down early in the WB game for the year. Other than the assorted bumps and bruises accumulated over 13 weeks of play, Canfield as of right now should be at full strength Friday.
I remember seeing the play and thinking he was a LB, but they must have walked him up closer to the line for run support or in press coverage that play because it gave me the impression he was a LB not a DB, because he started about even with the other LBs that play.

Boardman refused to host Ursuline for obvious reasons whether you think it's petty or not. Same goes for Mooney..
Boardman truly is the biggest group of wusses in the tri-county area. I wish they'd grow a pair and play Ursuline so they could hang 100 on them. Taking the route of pettiness and refusal to host either team, instead of looking in the mirror, seeing a mediocre program, and focusing on themselves is why that school/program will continue to be inferior to any other program worth anything in the area.

Boardman truly is the biggest group of wusses in the tri-county area. I wish they'd grow a pair and play Ursuline so they could hang 100 on them. Taking the route of pettiness and refusal to host either team, instead of looking in the mirror, seeing a mediocre program, and focusing on themselves is why that school/program will continue to be inferior to any other program worth anything in the area.
Wow, can you tell us more how you really feel. Lol. Lots of animosity with you Ytown schools, and suburban areas.

You would think Boardman would cease to play everyone in the Valley for all the kids that leave that school. Every school in the valley has a complaint when a guy leaves their home district and goes elsewhere. It easier to blame the Parochial schools but as someone who has coached on the basketball side at parochial schools as well as public I watched public school coaches recruit kids at camps just as much as Catholic.

The pettiness of Boardman shouldve been extended to Harding couple years ago but they kept playing them and their best hoops players went to Harding. The standard of programs plays a huge part in where kids go and if people don't pay attention to flag football how do you think these kids meet up and parents in the first place? Its just like AAU basketball. Parents and kids talk.

I can tell you all some dirty little secrets of some of your programs that alot of the Mahoning Valley dont want to hear. :stirthepot:

You would think Boardman would cease to play everyone in the Valley for all the kids that leave that school. Every school in the valley has a complaint when a guy leaves their home district and goes elsewhere. It easier to blame the Parochial schools but as someone who has coached on the basketball side at parochial schools as well as public I watched public school coaches recruit kids at camps just as much as Catholic.

The pettiness of Boardman shouldve been extended to Harding couple years ago but they kept playing them and their best hoops players went to Harding. The standard of programs plays a huge part in where kids go and if people don't pay attention to flag football how do you think these kids meet up and parents in the first place? Its just like AAU basketball. Parents and kids talk.

I can tell you all some dirty little secrets of some of your programs that alot of the Mahoning Valley dont want to hear. :stirthepot:
Please do. I love hearing stories. I'm used to it a lot originally being a Warren guy. Lol

Please do. I love hearing stories. I'm used to it a lot originally being a Warren guy. Lol
I was assistant basketball coach at Warren Harding, Cardinal Mooney and some other schools. Have known some athletic directors and football coaches all over from every side. Plus I ran youth leagues all over the Valley. Knew all these kids and their parents. I could've made it alot harder on some schools if I had actively recruited like they think happens

I was assistant basketball coach at Warren Harding, Cardinal Mooney and some other schools. Have known some athletic directors and football coaches all over from every side. Plus I ran youth leagues all over the Valley. Knew all these kids and their parents. I could've made it alot harder on some schools if I had actively recruited like they think happens
I do believe you, and I was just joking on my comment.

I just know he lives in Boardman school district right now and is going to attend Ursuline next year. His first name is Landon.
He is a freshman there now. His dad is an Ursuline alum. His sister is a pretty good Athlete at Boardman currently. I know the family very well.

Hey Jabronis, ONCE AGAIN, Boardman did not turn down either team. Boardman literally hosts Mooney every other year to play them so why would they turn down hosting a playoff game with them? Quit listening to SpartanAnon spew lies when he has no idea. Boardman probably has the Chardon Kenston game because all of the sites closer to the lake are either still playing or being used orrrrr the ohsaa made a bone head decision which would be par for the course at this point.

Also hasn't Canfield refused to play the parochials for years now? Why is there literally nothing being made of that for this game?

Finally I think Canfield wins because they have kids that can tackle on defense and will stop Lynch. Ericson will have to win the game and I just don't think he can do that. Of course I don't know if this is the forum to actually talk about the game, maybe I should start a new one.

Also hasn't Canfield refused to play the parochials for years now? Why is there literally nothing being made of that for this game?
Canfield plays parochials in the regular season sometimes. They have played Lake Catholic and Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin several times each. They played Ursuline twice previously as well. And played JFK many times previously.

GAME OF THE WEEK
Heavyweight collision headlines WKBN

WKBN
by: Vince Pellegrini

NILES, Ohio (WKBN) – This Friday, WKBN’s Game of the Week will feature a pair of local heavyweights in the Division 3 Region 9 Semifinal when Canfield meets Ursuline.

Both schools have registered double-digit win seasons as they’re seeking the opportunity to play for a regional title next week.

High School Football Game of the Week
Friday, November 11, 2022
(LIVE streamed on the WKBN app at 7 p.m.; Tape delay telecast Friday at 10 p.m. on MyYTV)
Ursuline (10-2) vs. Canfield (10-1) at Niles’ Bo Rein Stadium

You can watch the Game of the Week:
Antenna 33-2
Armstrong 13
Comcast 3
Direct TV 15
Spectrum 997

Division III, Region 9 Playoff Bracket
Regional Semifinal (November 11)
Kenston (9-3) vs. Chardon (10-1)
Ursuline (10-2) vs. Canfield (10-1)
Regional Championship (November 18)
Remaining Winners

2022 Team Statistics
Scoring Offense: Ursuline, 38.3; Canfield, 37.1
Scoring Defense: Canfield, 8.6; Ursuline, 21.3

2022 Results
Ursuline (10-2)
Fighting Irish 45 Tallmadge 28*
Fighting Irish 43 Hawken 12*
Fighting Irish 13 Mooney 7
Fighting Irish 56 East 8
Fighting Irish 40 Villa Angela-St. Joseph 0
Akron SVSM 35 Fighting Irish 28
Fighting Irish 30 Chaney 27
Fighting Irish 28 Harding 14
Fitch 42 Fighting Irish 34
Fighting Irish 40 Farrell 38
Fighting Irish 51 Padua Franciscan 6
Fighting Irish 52 Brookfield 14
*playoff

Canfield (10-1)
Cardinals 42 Aurora 14*
Cardinals 27 New Philadelphia 10*
Cardinals 35 Boardman 6
Cardinals 43 Howland 7
Cardinals 48 East 0
Cardinals 20 Dover 14, OT
Chaney 16 Cardinals 13
Cardinals 42 St. Thomas More 0
Cardinals 31 Poland 7
Cardinals 28 Bellevue 12
Cardinals 35 West Branch 31
*playoff

Game Notes
-Ursuline is riding a five-game win streak since falling to St. Vincent-St. Mary on September 30, 35-28. During their five-game streak, the Fighting Irish defense has held the opposition to 11-points per game.
-In their last outing, Ursuline trailed by fourteen points (14-0) before responding with 38 consecutive points being scored by the home team to cruise to a 45-28 win over Tallmadge.
-Ursuline’s offense has been held to less than 28-points just once (13 points vs. Mooney on Oct. 21, 2022) in their last twenty-one games played.
-The Irish have won 21 of their last 27 games.
-The Cardinals jumped out to a 28-7 lead at halftime over Aurora in their Regional Quarterfinal matchup. Canfield went on to register a 42-14 victory.
-Since week two of this season, Canfield’s defense has shut out two opponents, permitted just 66 points and has not allowed a single foe to score 14 points or more.
-After Canfield’s first regional championship since 2005, three of their previous four playoff runs ended in the regional title game
-The Cardinals have posted double-digit win seasons in four of their last six years (2017-18, 2021-22). Canfield has a winning percentage of 89.9% over their last 71 games.

Youngstown Vindicator: Ursuline Continues to Establish Identity During Postseason

Remnants of the Hurricane approaching the Atlantic Coast of Florida look like they are going to nail our area on Friday. It may be a washout for this one.

If you are speaking of Lynn Bowden and Derek Culver, they would’ve never stayed at Boardman and it’s not because they were recruited away. I’ll just leave it at that.

Canfield was on Ursuline's initial schedule last season. But the Cardinals denied there was any such agreement. Not sure what that was about.