Longest 1st Round Bus Rides: 2022 edition

as i do each year, it is time to start this thread. i’ll start it off with a trip that likely won’t be topped, and is likely one of the longest in recent memory.

Malvern will head to Coal Grove in R23. total trip: 4 hours and 8 minutes
Oh No Grimace GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

as i do each year, it is time to start this thread. i’ll start it off with a trip that likely won’t be topped, and is likely one of the longest in recent memory.

There are some awfully long hauls in that region. Rock Hill to Loudonville. Elgin to Fort Frye. West Jefferson to Newcomerstown (at least it's nearly all 70 and 77). At least the kids will miss nearly an entire day of school since these games are all on Friday. :geek:

What else would you expect from the organization who came up with the Nobel prize winning idea of having a state championship game on a Thursday night?
It's ironic because I was thinking earlier today that perhaps the OHSAA should change its by-laws to allow teams unlimited travel to non-contiguous states if the driving distance is less than their longest trip in Ohio would be, provided no school time is missed, of course. ;)

For example, there are teams on the Indiana border that could play teams in Illinois and possibly have less travel distance than if they played an Ohio team from along the river. There are teams in Cincinnati that could get games in Northern Tennessee in less distance than for if they wanted to play Conneaut.

Looks like No. 13 (D3, R10) Defiance is heading to No. 4 Cloverleaf. Google has that at 2 hours and 36 minutes. ... and has Defiance (which is already north of Cloverleaf) going even more north through Toledo, before then going east (turnpike) and then south (I-71) to get to Cloverleaf. Long and weird trip for a No. 13 that will likely knock off the No. 4.

Looks like No. 13 (D3, R10) Defiance is heading to No. 4 Cloverleaf. Google has that at 2 hours and 36 minutes. ... and has Defiance (which is already north of Cloverleaf) going even more north through Toledo, before then going east (turnpike) and then south (I-71) to get to Cloverleaf. Long and weird trip for a No. 13 that will likely knock off the No. 4.

Same length with no tolls if we go to Lima and take 30 east to 71.

It's ironic because I was thinking earlier today that perhaps the OHSAA should change its by-laws to allow teams unlimited travel to non-contiguous states if the driving distance is less than their longest trip in Ohio would be, provided no school time is missed, of course. ;)

For example, there are teams on the Indiana border that could play teams in Illinois and possibly have less travel distance than if they played an Ohio team from along the river. There are teams in Cincinnati that could get games in Northern Tennessee in less distance than for if they wanted to play Conneaut.
Harrison HS to Conneaut HS = 325mi, 4:36 (likely longest distance within Ohio)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Harrison HS to Montgomery Bell Academy (Nashville) = 295mi, 4:15
Harrison HS to Loyola Academy HS (Chicago) = 293mi, 4:21
Archb Moeller HS to Detroit MLK = 259mi, 3:50
Steubenville HS to St. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia) = 341mi, 5:13
Steubenville HS to Our Lady of Good Counsel HS (Olney MD) = 271mi, 4:14
Massillon Washington HS to Canisius Prep (Buffalo) = 245mi, 3:55
Edon OH HS to West HS (Davenport Iowa) = 348mi, 5:09
Sylvania Southview HS to St Ignace HS (Mackinaw MI) = 323mi, 4:22
Ironton HS to Mallard Creek HS (Charlotte, NC) = 327mi, 5:07
Austintown Fitch HS to Salisbury HS (Allentown PA) = 341mi, 5:01

It's amazing how far Ohio High Schools could travel if you set a radius of 350 miles

Harrison HS to Conneaut HS = 325mi, 4:36 (likely longest distance within Ohio)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Harrison HS to Montgomery Bell Academy (Nashville) = 295mi, 4:15
Harrison HS to Loyola Academy HS (Chicago) = 293mi, 4:21
Archb Moeller HS to Detroit MLK = 259mi, 3:50
Steubenville HS to St. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia) = 341mi, 5:13
Steubenville HS to Our Lady of Good Counsel HS (Olney MD) = 271mi, 4:14
Massillon Washington HS to Canisius Prep (Buffalo) = 245mi, 3:55
Edon OH HS to West HS (Davenport Iowa) = 348mi, 5:09
Sylvania Southview HS to St Ignace HS (Mackinaw MI) = 323mi, 4:22
Ironton HS to Mallard Creek HS (Charlotte, NC) = 327mi, 5:07
Austintown Fitch HS to Salisbury HS (Allentown PA) = 341mi, 5:01

It's amazing how far Ohio High Schools could travel if you set a radius of 350 miles
May want to check this but I believe its Harrison Central to Conneaut-
Harrison Central is a different school in Harrison County rather than the Harrison that is located in Cincinnati Area.
Travel is much less than the above 325 for Harrison Central to Conneaut.

That's crazy, what a long bus ride for round one of the play offs.

A little off topic, but another thing that's crazy, is that over in Indiana, Richmond and Logansport are in the same conference, 2.5 hours and 140 miles apart. And we have red headed stepchildren like Lima Senior that can never find a geographic fit for a good conference home.

we are talking about 2022 playoff games only on this thread.

to end the “longest potential in ohio” debate, i believe that is North Central High school (Pioneer) to Fairland High school (Proctorville). total time: 5 hours 28 minutes

DIII, Region 10: No. 12 Ontario vs. No. 5 Mansfield Senior. Six miles. Some Ontario fans will probably walk to the game at Arlin Field. Amazingly, these two teams have never played each other.
this is the first meeting ever between these neighbors?!

A little off topic, but another thing that's crazy, is that over in Indiana, Richmond and Logansport are in the same conference, 2.5 hours and 140 miles apart. And we have red headed stepchildren like Lima Senior that can never find a geographic fit for a good conference home.
I believe Richmond is also in the same conference with Lafayette (Purdue) on the other side of Indiana.

When Lima Sr. was in the GMC, they made trips to Cincinnati continuously. Funny thing is, they would probably jump at the chance to re-join that conference if offered.

yes, we do.

the thread is titled “longest first round bus rides 2022 edition”. sorry if the thread getting off topic bothered you.
I think it’s a great thread topic and very interesting to see the travel that some schools endure vs others playing schools down the street. It makes a big difference….but that’s all part of the quirkiness of the playoffs. I love it!

I like this thread every year. I admit that it's easy to go a little off topic occasionally, but I always enjoy this discussion.
i have no issue with anything posted. it’s a fun discussion regardless. not sure why others felt the need to complain about the topic. if you don’t like the thread, don’t read it. it’s that simple.