Time to Retire "Hells Bells" from 3rd Down in Stadiums?

Hells Bells is now 42 years old.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

my2sense

"Hells Bells" was first released in 1980. 42 years later it is still being used in some places.

Does your team still play it at your home field?
Is it a tradition that has passed its prime, over played and become stale?
Do you still love it?
Do you believe it intimidates kids that were born over 24 years after it came out?

Thoughts?

It was on my homemade cassette tape for game days when I was in college. It was the last song I wanted to hear before taking the field. 40 years ago.

IIRC, also on the tape: For Those About to Rock, In the Evening(Zep), No Surrender (Boss) and Crazy Train (Ozzie)

Last edited:
"Hells Bells" was first released in 1980. 42 years later it is still being used in some places.

Do you still love it?
Do you believe it intimidates kids that were born over 24 years after it came out?

Thoughts?
Total cliche' music for the uninterested masses. Most who are too busy with their phones to notice that a game is taking place in front of them.

How about Slayer???? Reign in Blood
slayer GIF

It would be something to get the blood pumping if it was limited to end of the game or a 3rd down with huge implications, buuuuuuuiuut it’s played at every stadium across the country at all levels on all 3rd downs. People have become numb to it. Either limit it to certain situations or retire it.

It would be something to get the blood pumping if it was limited to end of the game or a 3rd down with huge implications, buuuuuuuiuut ........ People have become numb to it.
If you've been to more than two Buckeye games, for sure. In the Shoe, your mindset is "Yes, this is the most cool thing ever, even if I've heard the pressbox play it a million times over the last 35 years- but I'm a part of it!" Then you hear it on a Friday at Div 6 school with 50 fans , you're like "oh, please!" 😁

Really, the only opinion that matters is that of the home team (and administration). If they like it, they should play it to their heart's content.

Reminds me of the first time I used Powerpoint at work around 1998, , and someone showed me how to add sound files. I was thinking, "yeah, I could do that in the pressbox and have all these cool sounds in between plays!" Then I forgot about it. The next year at an away game, one of the locals in their pressbox did that exact thing over the PA, and suddenly it became boring. Plus the timing was off, the file didn't open and play for several seconds. Was halfway interesting for the first 10 plays, then we were like "Sheesh, kid. Put the toy away for a while." :cool:

Last edited:

Do you still love it?

Thoughts?
My thoughts are you should find something else to complain about!! Whatever song(s) the School plays is fine if that’s what they think works for them!! Some of you folks really need to get over yourselves!!!

Some people very cranky today. Must have lost last night lol

Good distribution of responses so far. Good topic.

Do you still love it?

Thoughts?
I think we should retire your account and the 20 other names you post under.

Do you still love it?

Thoughts?
Dear Jesus, Joseph, and Mary I wish I could blow the he!! out of every place that plays that thing. Should have been retired five minutes after it started. Completely stupid. Thanks for recognizing that. Whew. I feel better now.

By the way, the 36% of you that voted it's really cool need to look in the mirror, examine yourself, and go get a dayum life.

Dear Jesus, Joseph, and Mary I wish I could blow the he!! out of every place that plays that thing. Should have been retired five minutes after it started. Completely stupid. Thanks for recognizing that. Whew. I feel better now.
Great answer

Nothing like hearing the bells and “It’s THIRRRD DOWN!!” when you’re up 34 in the 4th.

Our DJ/PA guy also tries to force “Jump Around” at the end of the 3rd quarter. Stop trying to make fetch happen, man…it’s never going to happen.
any PA announcer who is noticeable should be replaced. They should never be a part of the game, just an aside to it. Give just necessary information and never, never, never attempt to be entertaining. I assure you that you are not entertaining and more importantly there is no need to be. Exhibit professionalism. That should be your goal.

For me Hells bells is still good due to it's ominous beat. 99 percent of the music played is really really old and very bad. We know pretty quick the guys in power are between 50 and 70. I always tell them, I know you like it but think of the kids, it's like your parents playing Elvis before a game. To put things in perspective Thunderstruck came out in 1990 that's thirty years ago. So if you graduated in 1990 that would be like the announcers playing a song from 1958. I don't know about you but I would think that really sucked. We get locked into our own peak wearing the same thing listening to the same music but the crowd and kids aren't feeling it.

any PA announcer who is noticeable should be replaced. They should never be a part of the game, just an aside to it. Give just necessary information and never, never, never attempt to be entertaining. I assure you that you are not entertaining and more importantly there is no need to be. Exhibit professionalism. That should be your goal.
And just for fun, let's take this a step further....marching bands should only include instruments with which you can actually march. no drum sets, no xylophones or vibraphones, no bass guitars. Brass, woodwinds, percussion. And no portable ladder stands. nothing that has to be carried or rolled onto the field by parents. In fact, no parents on the field. Flag n' rifle corps? Yep. But do not ask me about cheerleaders. You probably would not like the answer. I saw a school with 17 this season. Really. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Last edited: