Tipp City

JustMyThoughts123

Now that Toohey is headed to Mason, who will Tipp turn too? I would say it’s too late in the process to get an experienced coach and get them in the building… but Mason was able to.

Austin Hadden or Andrew Gergen, Hadden is a Tipp City graduate and teacher at Tipp, his dad Jason Hadden was once the coach for the girls team.

My bad, his name is actually spelled Gerken, he was Tipp’s top assistant, and has been with Tipp the last 5 years. Gerken is the physical education teacher at one of the elementary schools. He is much older than Hadden and has been coaching for 16 years including 2 years as a head coach. Austin is 27 and has a lot of promise as a coach. I think both would be good hires considering the circumstances

Last edited:
My bad, his name is actually spelled Gerken, he was Tipp’s top assistant, and has been with Tipp the last 5 years. Gerken is the physical education teacher at one of the elementary schools. He is much older than Hadden and has been coaching for 16 years including 2 years as a head coach. Austin is 27 and has a lot of promise as a coach. I think both would be good hires considering the circumstances
Is Tipp a job you give to a 27 yr old first time HC long term?

No jobs are given long-term and why not?
All coaches have 1 year contracts in Ohio--more so Administration can fire/not retain coaches each year rather than a multi-year contract that they would have to pay in full if they want to fire a coach---it's not close to being as secure as most people think. Ohio coaches are able to take jobs at other schools if they think its a better coaching opportunity/better teaching situation.

All coaches have 1 year contracts in Ohio--more so Administration can fire/not retain coaches each year rather than a multi-year contract that they would have to pay in full if they want to fire a coach---it's not close to being as secure as most people think. Ohio coaches are able to take jobs at other schools if they think its a better coaching opportunity/better teaching situation.
OK so I wasn't clear. lol It should have been: No jobs are given long-term. And then why not give a first time HC a chance at Tipp? I'm very aware how the contracts work. Thanks for having me clarify.

Tipp needs to change its requirement to be a teacher to be a head coach if they want to attract the best coaches.

They have had trouble holding on to good coaches for quite some time on the boys side.

Tipp needs to change its requirement to be a teacher to be a head coach if they want to attract the best coaches.

They have had trouble holding on to good coaches for quite some time on the boys side.
Tipp has a policy that a head coach must also teach in the building?

Tipp has a policy that a head coach must also teach in the building?
Not sure if it has to be within their school district, but does have to be a teacher. Not sure if Bixler moved there when he was coach a few years ago?

I first remember this rule burning the devils butts when they had an opportunity to higher a great assistant but passed on him because he was a business man not a teacher. So he (the assistant) went on to coach at another school without such a requirement.

Not sure if it has to be within their school district, but does have to be a teacher. Not sure if Bixler moved there when he was coach a few years ago?

I first remember this rule burning the devils butts when they had an opportunity to higher a great assistant but passed on him because he was a business man not a teacher. So he (the assistant) went on to coach at another school without such a requirement.
That is really odd.

This is not true. The head volleyball coach is not a teacher.

Bet Tipp strictly follows what I believe is the actual codified law in regards to this. "Qualified candidates" order of offering supplemental contracts in theory is supposed to go 1) internal teacher, 2) external teacher (even if they don't come teach in the district), 3) non-teacher/external hire.

Their former girls basketball coach (and now Butler boys basketball coach) taught at Butler when he coached at Tipp.

Politics getting in the way, not surprising for Tipp. Can’t divulge right now until the hire is official but people around Tipp are not happy with how this went down.

Bet Tipp strictly follows what I believe is the actual codified law in regards to this. "Qualified candidates" order of offering supplemental contracts in theory is supposed to go 1) internal teacher, 2) external teacher (even if they don't come teach in the district), 3) non-teacher/external hire.

Their former girls basketball coach (and now Butler boys basketball coach) taught at Butler when he coached at Tipp.
What coach are you talking about? Holderman?

Politics getting in the way, not surprising for Tipp. Can’t divulge right now until the hire is official but people around Tipp are not happy with how this went down.
With a coach leaving so late in the summer it leaves a school very little options on moving forward at least for the next season. They can always post the job again right after the season next year for better options.

With a coach leaving so late in the summer it leaves a school very little options on moving forward at least for the next season. They can always post the job again right after the season next year for better options.
That would make sense if they had named one of the assistants as interim head coach, but that’s not the case, they hired out of house.

Brock Moon, an assistant at Troy, and formerly of Fairborn will be named Tipp’s head coach. Apparently Ray Zawadski was offered the job in his interview and then he pulled his application.

That order is common but also depends on the union contract. Especially what makes someone qualified.