2022 Elder Football

I completely agree on Ramsey, but who else on last year's roster got screwed out of a D1 offer because of covid? I think people are vastly over-stating the talent level. That level of talent you are describing for 3-4 other players at Elder almost always shows up in W-L record, deep tournament runs and scholarship offers. They were 6-6 and almost lost in the first round of the playoffs.
They just didn’t have the talent last yr in addition to injuries. 6-6 was probably their ceiling. However, it would be hard to see how that’s satisfactory for this season.

From what I have heard Ramsey, Hambleton, and Luebbe all chose not to play any further than high school. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Their families have the resources to take care of college. Go enjoy college and pursue your education and have fun. Playing college football is like a full time job and if your heart isn't into it go find your other passions.

From what I have heard Ramsey, Hambleton, and Luebbe all chose not to play any further than high school. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Their families have the resources to take care of college. Go enjoy college and pursue your education and have fun. Playing college football is like a full time job and if your heart isn't into it go find your other passions.
100%. I don’t think some people realize how much more time is required of college athletes in all sports. Sports at the college level are absolutely not “extracurricular” activities, they’re a job.

I completely agree, there's no shame in that. But let's be real, they stopped playing because they weren't pursued at the D1 level, not because they were burned out from football. Which I also understand - if you're not getting scholarship money to play, is it worth it unless you really, really love football? All 3 of these kids would be playing if they had D1 scholarship offers.

I'm just saying there's multiple people who have said a bunch of kids got screwed out of D1 scholarships because of covid - that's not really reality. They were always D2/D3 type of guys from the get-go, except maybe Ramsey (from last year's team and likely this year's team as well).

I completely agree, there's no shame in that. But let's be real, they stopped playing because they weren't pursued at the D1 level, not because they were burned out from football. Which I also understand - if you're not getting scholarship money to play, is it worth it unless you really, really love football?

I'm just saying there's multiple people who have said a bunch of kids got screwed out of D1 scholarships because of covid - that's not really reality. They were always D2/D3 type of guys from the get-go, except maybe Ramsey (from last year's team and likely this year's team as well).

Disagree. Bittner, Luebbe, Hambleton can all play D1, but they aren't 6'4" and Luebbe had the speed to be a dual-threat QB that is coveted now, but being a 1 year starter flew way under the radar. Obviously my opinion means 0.

Disagree. Bittner, Luebbe, Hambleton can all play D1, but they aren't 6'4" and Luebbe had the speed to be a dual-threat QB that is coveted now, but being a 1 year starter flew way under the radar. Obviously my opinion means 0.
Well taking Bittner out because he's already D1 (time will tell if he ever gets real time as a WR in the SEC - I think we all know that's a tough road). Also just talking about last year's team and this year's team - guys like Royer and Kandra are definite D1 guys and you knew that before they got scholarships. I agree Luebbe could have a shot with his speed. I disagree on Hambleton - good HS QB, but not a D1 talent - he's a D2/D3 guy.

I'm talking about the kids like Hambleton, Harp, Kirsch, Thomas, Kammerer, etc - there were several people here asking why kids aren't going D1 - the argument is covid, but these kids were D2/D3 type of kids from the start (which is also very impressive). Even if they went D1, they are likely PWOs and would have to stick it out like Bittner, and then MAYBE they see the field one day. Compared to the athleticism of the kids getting D1 money, this is probably accurate. None of these kids have the athleticism and upside of the most current D1 signees we've seen in the GCL (list above).

Outside of Ramsey, there's no one on last year's or this year's Elder roster that has the skills of a guy like Jordan Marshall. Not even particularly close either. Tennel Bryant has MAJOR speed, and even he's only getting interest from lower level D1.

Last edited:
When is the first 7 on 7?

I think they have one Friday. QB would be interesting to watch between Schoster/Reuter.

My guess for offense
QB Schoster/Reuter/Brass
RB Flowers/Summers/Meier
WR Re/Mirus/Salamone and Collins?/Autenrieb?/Curlis?/Schneider from JV maybe?
TE Browne and ? Boeing from JV maybe?

Elder has to find a way to get consistent touches for Re, Browne and even Flowers out of the backfield. There's not many game-changers on offense. They have to establish a solid and consistent running game this year outside of just the QB draw to score some points. Even if they have to force the running game some. I don't know that you're going to see the dynamic offense as much this year with 30-40 passes per game.

Last edited:
I think they have one Friday. QB would be interesting to watch between Schoster/Reuter.

My guess for offense
QB Schoster/Reuter/Brass
RB Flowers/Summers/Meier
I'm not sure if a couple of those wr's you mentioned are still playing? Curliss and Salamone. They will have plenty of guys that get touches. Brownie should get targeted a lot more this yr.

My guess for offense
QB Schoster/Reuter/Brass
RB Flowers/Summers/Meier
Some of these kids aren’t playing. Back to the drawing board.

Well taking Bittner out because he's already D1 (time will tell if he ever gets real time as a WR in the SEC - I think we all know that's a tough road). Also just talking about last year's team and this year's team - guys like Royer and Kandra are definite D1 guys and you knew that before they got scholarships. I agree Luebbe could have a shot with his speed. I disagree on Hambleton - good HS QB, but not a D1 talent - he's a D2/D3 guy.

I'm talking about the kids like Hambleton, Harp, Kirsch, Thomas, Kammerer, etc - there were several people here asking why kids aren't going D1 - the argument is covid, but these kids were D2/D3 type of kids from the start (which is also very impressive). Even if they went D1, they are likely PWOs and would have to stick it out like Bittner, and then MAYBE they see the field one day. Compared to the athleticism of the kids getting D1 money, this is probably accurate. None of these kids have the athleticism and upside of the most current D1 signees we've seen in the GCL (list above).

Outside of Ramsey, there's no one on last year's or this year's Elder roster that has the skills of a guy like Jordan Marshall. Not even particularly close either. Tennel Bryant has MAJOR speed, and even he's only getting interest from lower level D1.
To chip in on this, Specht commented last year that most d1 programs are not even looking at kids that don't hit certain measurable qualities, like height, wingspan, 40 time, etc, no matter how good they are on the field. It's the reason OL that may have never played a varsity down are getting early offers- they have the size. It's also the reason even very good players, like Ramsey, are not getting them. Great case in point was Brogan McCaughey. All state QB, great stats, killed it at the Elite 11 camp, but because he's 6'1 instead of 6'4, he's not sniffing P5 offers.

To chip in on this, Specht commented last year that most d1 programs are not even looking at kids that don't hit certain measurable qualities, like height, wingspan, 40 time, etc, no matter how good they are on the field. It's the reason OL that may have never played a varsity down are getting early offers- they have the size. It's also the reason even very good players, like Ramsey, are not getting them. Great case in point was Brogan McCaughey. All state QB, great stats, killed it at the Elite 11 camp, but because he's 6'1 instead of 6'4, he's not sniffing P5 offers.
The rare exception is if you’re a freak athlete, like a Kyler Murray. Even Drew Brees and Russell Wilson weren’t highly recruited bc of their height.

This is spot on. I would say that McGaughey distanced himself as the easy pick for the best QB in the GCL last year. And he didn't get any P5 offers and he's very good.

This is spot on. I would say that McGaughey distanced himself as the easy pick for the best QB in the GCL last year. And he didn't get any P5 offers and he's very good.

He had a very good year, but he also had the best offensive line. I'm sure Hambleton would have loved to have had the time to throw that he had.

There are 3 6'1" c/o '22 Quarterbacks in the top 15 with P5 offers and committed to P5 schools.

Walker Howard Louisiana 6'1" 195 offers from LSU(committed), ND, Alabama, ASU, Arkansas
Tanner Bailey Alabama 6'1" 195 offers from South Carolina(committed), Indiana, Oregon, Alabama, Auburn
Braedyn Locke Texas 6'1" 195 offers from Mississippi State(committed), Georgia Tech, Kansas, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech

It seems like the southern NCAA schools are okay recruiting shorter QBs. Ohio schools for some reason won't. OSU, OU, Bowling Green, Miami(OH), UC, Toledo all seem to be ignoring the local talent.

He had a very good year, but he also had the best offensive line. I'm sure Hambleton would have loved to have had the time to throw that he had.
I think Hambleton was a very good high school QB. I agree with your statement above - it would have helped him, but I still don't think that puts him in the D1 talk.

IMO, he had a great arm, but you never really got to see how good he could be because 80% of his throws were designed quick hitters to Ramsey or jump balls to Harp. I think McGaughy had better pocket presence, better accuracy, and could read defenses better. I never really saw him survey the field and make the right throw on time or under pressure to different receivers. It was a lot of design to Ramsey.

McGaughy did have the better team - but imo he stood out with his QB skills as well.

I think Hambleton was a very good high school QB. I agree with your statement above - it would have helped him, but I still don't think that puts him in the D1 talk.

IMO, he had a great arm, but you never really got to see how good he could be because 80% of his throws were designed quick hitters to Ramsey or jump balls to Harp. I think McGaughy had better pocket presence, better accuracy, and could read defenses better. I never really saw him survey the field and make the right throw on time or under pressure to different receivers. It was a lot of design to Ramsey.

McGaughy did have the better team - but imo he stood out with his QB skills as well.

There might have been a couple jump balls on desperate situations, but the majority of downfield completions were perfectly thrown balls. Agreed on quick hitters to Ramsey help stats, especially when Ramsey outran the defense(including defenses with those prized D1 recruits). Funny he could outrun everyone, but the D1 gurus didn't recruit him.

There might have been a couple jump balls on desperate situations, but the majority of downfield completions were perfectly thrown balls. Agreed on quick hitters to Ramsey help stats, especially when Ramsey outran the defense(including defenses with those prized D1 recruits). Funny he could outrun everyone, but the D1 gurus didn't recruit him.
As I've said in this thread, I'm shocked Ramsey didn't have a D1 scholarship offer.

Where and why didn't he take one? I'd be hard pressed to think he wouldn't take a MAC offer seriously.

I thought Toledo was the only official offer, but maybe that changed. There's a lot of reasons someone might choose to hang it up after high school despite having opportunities to play collegiately. I'm sure he will be a success in whatever he decides to do in the future.

A couple highlights from the article.

Ramsey says four quarterbacks are vying for the top spot now including rising seniors Ben Schoster and Jack Reuter. Schoster went 8-for-11 passing for 72 yards and a touchdown appearing in four games last year. Reuter started two seasons at Walnut Hills before transferring last year then tearing an ACL.

Ramsey has toyed with the idea of playing two quarterbacks. He did some last year using Hambleton as the primary thrower but going to his son Drew in close yardage and goal-line situations.

In front of Gutkeunst, 6-foot-2-inch, 208-pound linebacker Maddox Arnold has turned some heads at camps at the University of Cincinnati and Ohio State. Arnold saw varsity time as a freshman last season and will only get bigger and better.

"He's going to be part of a pretty solid linebacker corps," Ramsey said. "We have four legit linebackers. We should be a very good defensive football team."

first scrimmage vs Lakota West is in a little over a month. It’ll be interesting to see how they stack up. Last year, they played West pretty competitively, but there were obvious holes in the team.

This is going to be a really important scrimmage with Elder replacing a lot in the skill positions and secondary. They are very lucky to get Lakota West to get them ready for week 1.

Maybe it’s semantics, but a special package for a running QB isn’t really playing 2 QBs. It’s not like how Steve Spurrier used to rotate QBs every other play at Florida.

You are talking about the last 2 seasons. This season is a different situation with Reuter being more of a dual-threat and Schoster more of a traditional pocket passer. Reuter in the game don't think he is running 95% of the time. I think it would be more of a 40-40-20 split with him passing-handing off-designed QB run. Schoster in the game probably something like a 50-50 or 60-40 split obviously different depending on the game situation. Like I've said previously, unless one really distances themselves from the other the next 4 weeks, I think we'll see both taking snaps at QB at least early on in the season.

It's a good situation for Elder to have with the tough schedule. They are deep at QB so they will be alright if something happens during the season.

You are talking about the last 2 seasons. This season is a different situation with Reuter being more of a dual-threat and Schoster more of a traditional pocket passer. Reuter in the game don't think he is running 95% of the time. I think it would be more of a 40-40-20 split with him passing-handing off-designed QB run. Schoster in the game probably something like a 50-50 or 60-40 split obviously different depending on the game situation. Like I've said previously, unless one really distances themselves from the other the next 4 weeks, I think we'll see both taking snaps at QB at least early on in the season.

It's a good situation for Elder to have with the tough schedule. They are deep at QB so they will be alright if something happens during the season.
It’s never a good situation to not have your starting QB picked. If you have 2 QBs, you’ve really got none. Your offense can’t get into rhythm when you’re shuffling QBs every other series.