OHSAA: NIL Proposal is defeated 68-32

While I believe that NIL goes against the fabric of high school athletics as we know it, I also feel that the courts and/or legislature will have the final say.

Unfortunately, this is likely to be challenged by somenoe/class action in the courts. Whether there's enough judicial validity to reverse the OHSAA's decision is a question on the minds of many lawyers/parents throughout the Buckeye State.

So your happy that some of the top talent in the state ( very select few) will leave for some other state where they can make money for playing sports?

Yep. I might be old-fashioned ( a dinosaur), but I think that high school sports should be team, rather than individually oriented. So a few prima donnas leave for the $; let them go. The last thing we need is a free agent system or a " star" threatening to leave a school if his needs are not the primary focus. We will survive. Maybe the few who kvetch about Ohio not producing as many D1 college recruits as Florida or those who moan the fact that Ohio is no longer the top tier recruiting ground that it once was will be upset. But the purpose of school is not to nurture professional athletes. Wish them well and open the door.

Last edited:
Good. Would just make all the recruiting be right out in the open. Boosters would be able to buy kids in plain sight. Right now both happen along with recruiting at middle school games which is disgusting, but this would make it worse

When this happens it's no better than college or pros and the talent at those levels is much better than high school. I'd concentrate on those levels even more if high school went to this

Yep. I might be old-fashioned ( a dinosaur), but I think that high school sports should be team, rather than individually oriented. So a few prima donnas leave for the $; let them go. The last thing we need is a free agent system or a " star" threatening to leave a school if his needs are not the primary focus. We will survive. Maybe the few who kvetch about Ohio not producing as many D1 college recruits as Florida or those who moan the fact that Ohio is no longer the top tier recruiting ground that it once was will be upset. But the purpose of school is not to nurture professional athletes. Wish them well and open the door.
its the extreme individualism in our country that is really becoming a major source of many problems. IMO